British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I find this worrying,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47974579

They're complete twats but it erodes freedom of speech. Weimer Republic censored the NSDAP after the Munich Beer Hall Putsch and look what happened there.

You have the right to freedom of speech but not on someone elses platform, facebook ain't a free public forum, it'd make sense if they were banned from making their own website or publishing their shit or what have you but facebook is a firm owned by a bunch of people who are basically saying 'not on our watch'.  Personally I think they should be allowed to say what they like but all this talk of them being censored by the establishment is a bit much.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You have the right to freedom of speech but not on someone elses platform, facebook ain't a free public forum, it'd make sense if they were banned from making their own website or publishing their shit or what have you but facebook is a firm owned by a bunch of people who are basically saying 'not on our watch'.  Personally I think they should be allowed to say what they like but all this talk of them being censored by the establishment is a bit much.

Shouldn't Corbyn be banned for eulogising terrorism then?

(That is a rhetorical by the way; I am not sure if Corbyn has ''besties'' on facebook and likes to post selfies of him clubbing).

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's so mindblowingly fucked up you guys find Thatcher attractive lol. 

I bet I can turn you into a Royalist,

Spoiler

princess-margaret-1088573.jpg?r=15504994

Princess Margaret in her pomp; a true beauty. 

(The Queen wasn't too bad either in her prime but a bit horsey.)

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Shouldn't Corbyn be banned for eulogising terrorism then?

(That is a rhetorical by the way; I am not sure if Corbyn has ''besties'' on facebook and likes to post selfies of him clubbing).

Its all a load of cobblers if you ask me, I'm a firm believer in everybody, literally everybody having free speech.  Free as fuck speech.  I don't think words can hurt and if you can conclusively argue against 'x' bullshit then whats the problem?  If you're right then why would you fear the ramblings of those who are wrong?  What, cuz a shitload of people might side with em?  Well if that is true then that needs addressing, not hiding from. 

19 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's so mindblowingly fucked up you guys find Thatcher attractive lol. 

To quote my mate Lee 'I'll shag a pumpkin if it's Tinder profile has a flattering angle I can hang onto' :lol: 

I took the view that having fought [Europeans in the Second World War] that we should now work with them, and co-operate, and that was my first thought about it. Then how I saw how the European Union was developing, it was very obvious that what they had in mind was not democratic. ... And the way that Europe has developed is that the bankers and the multinational corporations have got very powerful positions, and if you come in on their terms, they will tell you what you can and cannot do. And that is unacceptable. My view about the European Union has always been not that I am hostile to foreigners, but that I am in favour of democracy ... I think they're building an empire there, they want us to be a part of their empire and I don't want that.

- Tony Benn (2013) 

''Europe is not the creation of the Treaty of Rome. Nor is the European idea the property of any group or institution. We British are as much heirs to the legacy of European culture as any other nation. Our links to the rest of Europe, the continent of Europe, have been the dominant factor in our history.

My first guiding principle is this: willing and active cooperation between independent sovereign states is the best way to build a successful European Community. To try to suppress nationhood and concentrate power at the centre of a European conglomerate would be highly damaging and would jeopardise the objectives we seek to achieve''.

Maggie

22 minutes ago, Graeme said:

This thread of late has had me wanting to post "what the fuck is wrong with you people?!"...

I, in fairness, was being a bit ironic towards the end although I suspect Dazey spends his time wanking into a sock over pictures of the Iron Lady.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I, in fairness, was being a bit ironic towards the end although I suspect Dazey spends his time wanking into a sock over pictures of the Iron Lady.

Ooooh! Imagine her as a Bond Girl! :lol:

Galloway is supporting Farage. I wonder if Farage is playing a deft one here in producing a political party which is neither left nor right (UKIP are of course far-right) but is simply supporting Brexit upon which it will dismantle itself. There are a lot of Eurosceptic parties like this in Europe such as the June List (Sweden) and People's Movement against the EU (Denmark), many of them belonging to Europeans United for Democracy. They basically attract Eurosceptics of all persuasions. It also means you can support the party whilst hating the leader.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1115937/Brexit-latest-news-nigel-farage-george-galloway-brexit-party

Edited by DieselDaisy

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think he is great. He embodies a certain ''sticking it up johnny frenchmen'' fags and beer Italian Job Britishness which I find hilarious. He likes cricket. He goes to a gentlemen's club. What is there not to like. 

Everything you just mentioned...Except cricket.

Neither left or right. Everything you say from now on should be dismissed as bollocks.

Anyway the last time a party left of the right won the UK EU elections was in 94. In fact apart from 89 it always been the Torries or UKIP in 2014 since 79.

This really isn't going to say anything in the end. People barely vote in these elections.

It is typical though, that bang on about it being undemocratic to vote in elections. 

The glimmer of hope though is that yougov polling is generally rubbish.

Edited by AtariLegend

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

Neither left or right. Everything you say from now on should be dismissed as bollocks.

Anyway the last time a party left of the right won the UK EU elections was in 94. In fact apart from 89 it always been the Torries or UKIP in 2014.

This really isn't going to say anything in the end. People barely vote in these elections.

It is typical though, that bang on about it being undemocratic to vote in elections. 

The glimmer of hope though is that yougov polling is generally rubbish.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1115937/Brexit-latest-news-nigel-farage-george-galloway-brexit-party

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Galloway is supporting Farage. I wonder if Farage is playing a deft one here in producing a political party which is neither left nor right (UKIP are of course far-right) but is simply supporting Brexit upon which it will dismantle itself. There are a lot of Eurosceptic parties like this in Europe such as the June List (Sweden) and People's Movement against the EU (Denmark), many of them belonging to Europeans United for Democracy. They basically attract Eurosceptics of all persuasions. It also means you can support the party whilst hating the leader.

Well if Galloway's on your side you've got it made. :lol: 

gallowayImage3.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Can we not grind down these middle class eco-warriors into manure to replenish the land and save the planet? They'd be fulfilling their cause in death, surely, and should infact freely volunteer. 

Most of 'em are okay at Glastonbury and suchlike. The issue seems to be when they are allowed to roam freely among the rest of society for the remaining 50 weeks of the the year. If we simply imprisoned them most of the year with only brief periods of release to fumigate their cells I'm sure the problem could be solved.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

My mum went on this demo so you can all fuck off 😄 

To be fair to her, a fishing boat dumped in the middle of the high street isn't such an uncommon occurrence in Newport! Poor dear probably just got lost. :lol: 

190415143907-11-extinction-rebllion-clim

• Haha 2