British Politics

Gracii Guns

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Can you imagine sharing a dressing room with Kevin Pietersen for your cricketing career? Straussy and Cooky should have got OBEs and knighthoods just for that alone. 

He must have been an awful tourist. One eye alwayson the IPL. I booked a tour of Lords for April but Corona fucked that off.

Edited by spunko12345

46 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

He must have been an awful tourist. One eye alwayson the IPL. I booked a tour of Lords for April but Corona fucked that off.

You are not alone. I have talked this over with my cricket chums and read a lot online and believe there will be no publicly attended cricket for 2020 so that buggers up my visit to Lord's in September! God knows what will happen with the county memberships also, whether we get refunds or they are applicable for next season. Who knows? 

I did stress ''publicly attended'' as there are discussions about playing England v West Indies behind closed doors. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are not alone. I have talked this over with my cricket chums and read a lot online and believe there will be no publicly attended cricket for 2020 so that buggers up my visit to Lord's in September! God knows what will happen with the county memberships also, whether we get refunds or they are applicable for next season. Who knows? 

I did stress ''publicly attended'' as there are discussions about playing England v West Indies behind closed doors. 

I always find the concept of playing "behind closed doors" on a massive open air field as being faintly ridiculous. :lol:

Did you see PMQs today by the way? Starmer giving another solid account of himself. Whether he's got a shot at the top job or not in five years he certainly does a solid turn at making the Tories squirm. Boris was completely out of his depth today.

Boris: "at this stage I don't think that international comparisons ..... errr, the data is yet there to draw the conclusions that we want."

Starmer: "The argument that international comparisons can't be made when the government's been using slides like this (holds up government death tally graph) for weeks to do international comparisons just really doesn't hold water." 

:lol: 

18 hours ago, Dazey said:

I always find the concept of playing "behind closed doors" on a massive open air field as being faintly ridiculous. :lol:

Did you see PMQs today by the way? Starmer giving another solid account of himself. Whether he's got a shot at the top job or not in five years he certainly does a solid turn at making the Tories squirm. Boris was completely out of his depth today.

Boris: "at this stage I don't think that international comparisons ..... errr, the data is yet there to draw the conclusions that we want."

Starmer: "The argument that international comparisons can't be made when the government's been using slides like this (holds up government death tally graph) for weeks to do international comparisons just really doesn't hold water." 

:lol: 

Why has he recruited Long-Bailey, and worst of all David Lammy, into his shadow cabinet though?

45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why has he recruited Long-Bailey, and worst of all David Lammy, into his shadow cabinet though?

I think he had to throw a bone to a couple of the nutters really. Starmer's not stupid. He knows that he's in this for the long game and grand gestures at this stage aren't going to win any elections 5 years from now. I predict they'll be quietly re-shuffled out of harm's way in time but for now it was the best way to try and keep as many people on side as possible. It could have been worse. I mean at least it wasn't Dianne Abacus. :lol: 

31 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think he had to throw a bone to a couple of the nutters really. Starmer's not stupid. He knows that he's in this for the long game and grand gestures at this stage aren't going to win any elections 5 years from now. I predict they'll be quietly re-shuffled out of harm's way in time but for now it was the best way to try and keep as many people on side as possible. It could have been worse. I mean at least it wasn't Dianne Abacus. :lol: 

I cannot say I'm a fan of the man, and his staunch remainism is not going to do much in Labour heartlands I'm afraid.

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot say I'm a fan of the man, and his staunch remainism is not going to do much in Labour heartlands I'm afraid.

I don't think he will be moaning about remain. Brexit is a done thing now. Well, a lot of things that needed to be done have been postponed for obvious reasons. Right now the number one priority is coronavirus. Then there should be a plan to get things back to new normal. Chances are Starmen will be more concerned about unemployment rates in the heartlands than about another referendum.

53 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't think he will be moaning about remain. Brexit is a done thing now. Well, a lot of things that needed to be done have been postponed for obvious reasons. Right now the number one priority is coronavirus. Then there should be a plan to get things back to new normal. Chances are Starmen will be more concerned about unemployment rates in the heartlands than about another referendum.

Another Blairy creature with nowt relevant to the working man. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Another Blairy creature with nowt relevant to the working man. 

There will be Labour MP from the heartlands and other areas who would make sure Starmer doesn't ignore the working people. Nobody in the Labour party want another embarrasment when a new election comes around

I am not overawed with the government's handling of corona myself but I do not have any comprehension problems with understanding the new policy and the language used (''stay alert'') therein: it is reasonably comprehensible unless you happen to be Sturgeon - Krankie using corona to drive a wedge in the union is utterly dire. 

15 minutes ago, soon said:

What a peculiar thing to be annoyed by

I wouldn't say ''annoyed'' is the correct word, more a distinct and comedic acknowledgement in my though processing that, ''there goes a prat''. 

People with demonstrative lanyards, man bags, skinny jeans, weird hair styles and political correctness also. Everyone has their gripes!

Edited by DieselDaisy

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wouldn't say ''annoyed'' is the correct word, more a distinct and comedic acknowledgement in my though processing that, ''there goes a prat''. 

People with demonstrative lanyards, man bags, skinny jeans, weird hair styles and political correctness also. Everyone has their gripes!

I was just thinking about "demonstrative lanyards" being my comparable pet peeve! lol. Especially people with keys on their lanyards, who carry - not wear -  the lanyard loosely in their hand so that the keys dangle and jingle. Fuck. Them.

Beyond that you seem to be describing everyone from cities :lol: Or Guns N Roses.

Back to BoJo, it doesn't seem to be a reusable cup so he can get fucked.

''Skinny jeans'' have become basically the ''standard'' pants nowadays. Even people in their 40's and 50's wear them who aren't even trying to be hip. I still have a couple of very old jeans that I like to wear and they look like 90's baggy, skate pants compared to everyone else's. 

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not overawed with the government's handling of corona myself but I do not have any comprehension problems with understanding the new policy and the language used (''stay alert'') therein: it is reasonably comprehensible unless you happen to be Sturgeon - Krankie using corona to drive a wedge in the union is utterly dire. 

Gie it a bye, she's perfectly entitled to take a different approach if she feels that the UK government are handling this about as well as the Mayor in Jaws - i.e. more concerned about the economy than the survival of their citizens. The governments of Wales and Northern Ireland (neither of which are seeking independence) have also chosen to continue in complete lockdown, much the same vein as Scotland, so it could just be that the UK government are making stupid and reckless decisions for England and the sensible choice would be not to replicate that.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well why didn't you just say, ''give it a rest''? 

Because 'gie it a bye' is a common Scots expression that means much the same thing and I decided, on this occasion, to write it the way I would have said it out loud - perhaps as a further indication of my belief in Scotland's right to do things differently or perhaps just because I like it. It's more lighthearted than "give it a rest".

web_3.jpg?format=500w

14 Delicious, Snappable All Butter Shortbreads – 200g

Baked in the heart of Lancashire to traditional methods and using the finest ingredients lies a classic British indulgence.

Wrapped up inside Article 50, a delicious Commemorative Limited Edition Brexit Biscuit.

So pick a side, reunite with family, friends and colleagues alike.

https://www.thebrexitbiscuit.co.uk

17 hours ago, Graeme said:

Because 'gie it a bye' is a common Scots expression that means much the same thing and I decided, on this occasion, to write it the way I would have said it out loud - perhaps as a further indication of my belief in Scotland's right to do things differently or perhaps just because I like it. It's more lighthearted than "give it a rest".

I have Burns' complete works on my bookshelf and that is unintelligible also, requiring frequent perusals of the glossary.

Reuters say the covid total is over 40k with ft reporting total extra deaths up 50k plus.

TV stations running with the gov's 32k plus.

People under some bizzare impression that Boris the Lion has done a good job, thanks to the newscorp/tv coverage.

Edited by AtariLegend

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Reuters say the covid total is over 40k with ft reporting total extra deaths up 50k plus.

TV stations running with the gov's 32k plus.

People under some bizzare impression that Boris the Lion has done a good job, thanks to the newscorp/tv coverage.

Boris is a lion?