London for newbies

SoulMonster

I don't know what you're into, but the Natural History Museum, Science Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum are nearby.  All super interesting, lots of history, beautiful architecture (particularly NHM) and educational at the same time.  Edit: I should mention all 3 are close to one another.  NHM and SM are next door one another, in fact they co-join and V&A is across the road.  V&A is a great place for lunch by the way - the most amazing courtyard.

Not that you could do all 3 in a few hours, but you could take your pick.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Thanks 1

Might not be very nearby, but if you only have a couple of hours and you don't mind walking and want to do the tourist thing... then it's doable to walk from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey/Big Ben, then walk via Trafalgar Square and St. Paul's to Tower Bridge. That way you get to see a lot of the iconic London spots in probably under two hours without having to use the Tube.

• Thanks 1

Dammit, that's a half hour walk from my flat but I'm moving to Sydney on Sunday! Would have liked to have met up for a drink :P

In terms of touristy things, you're fairly close to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, Holland Park, Green Park, Portobello Road, Covent Garden as well as the museums that @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle mentioned.

1 minute ago, Amir said:

Dammit, that's a half hour walk from my flat but I'm moving to Sydney on Sunday! Would have liked to have met up for a drink :P

In terms of touristy things, you're fairly close to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, Holland Park, Green Park, Portobello Road, Covent Garden as well as the museums that @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle mentioned.

Moving to Sydney, why?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Moving to Sydney, why?

Company I work for said they needed people to help out in Sydney office as they're short-staffed and they've had trouble hiring for past year. Never been to Australia before so I volunteered, plus they'll double my salary :)

40 minutes ago, Amir said:

Company I work for said they needed people to help out in Sydney office as they're short-staffed and they've had trouble hiring for past year. Never been to Australia before so I volunteered, plus they'll double my salary :)

Oh, cool.  Sydney is a great place, though I haven't been for a long time (I'm from QLD originally).  It's certainly a great lifestyle there and lots of live music.  It'll be quite the culture shock from London though, it's a much quieter pace of life. :lol:  Good luck with the move! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

When? I'm going to France on the 24th but would love to grab a drink before then if you're about. 

28th to Oct 1. The Crystal Palace game. I'll be back in March, though ;)

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is a conversation penned in if I have ever known it. Topic of conversation: atheism, atheism, atheism and yet more atheism.

Not much to talk about, is it? We don't believe in gods. We don't believe in gods. And oh yeah, we don't believe in gods. Sounds kinda boring.

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Shit, that was unlucky :(

If you like shopping then Harrods is a must. Camden is really fun, nice pub by the river to have a drink and people watch. Covent Garden is good,and a walk down the Embankment to see street performers.You could also check out Groupon for deals, they had one for dinner at The Shard which was great value.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Amir said:

The Ashes will be on this winter.