Jump to content
Trmac72911

Best Richard Fortus Knockin on Heaven's Door Solo?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, first time poster! I have really enjoyed reading the forum and it is fun to see all the varying viewpoints on the band! I went to the Gillette Stadium show in 2016 and had a blast. I've become a huge fan of Richard Fortus and really like the two solo's he does during Knockin on Heaven's Door. Obviously he changes it up a bit every show. I'd figure I'd create this topic because I haven't been following the tour as closely this year as I did in 2016. What in your opinion was the best Richard Fortus KOHD solo from the NITL Tour (or NUGNR days)? 

I personally think these two solo's are amazing from Little Rock (4:54 and 8:11)

https://youtu.be/mOW6pVqKXvg?t=4m54s

Thanks everyone!

PS I can't seem to embed the youtube video in the post? Any help with that would be appreciated lol.

Edited by Trmac72911
Link issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have them cut off those extra solos from both Fortus and Slash, nothing against them, but I would prefer a version closer to the album. Ahh.. without that Reagee of the 90s too. Or at least go back to that 2002 awesome 5 min version.

That said, if I have to choose a good version from this tour I would choose that Imola one.

https://youtu.be/RHxdGlbRt6Y?t=4m33s

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derick said:

I'd rather have them cut off those extra solos from both Fortus and Slash, nothing against them, but I would prefer a version closer to the album. Ahh.. without that Reagee of the 90s too. Or at least go back to that 2002 awesome 5 min version.

That said, if I have to choose a good version from this tour I would choose that Imola one.

https://youtu.be/RHxdGlbRt6Y?t=4m33s

I'd rather them just cut out the Fortus solos and let Slash get after it like he used to back in the day.. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom-Ass said:

I'd rather them just cut out the Fortus solos and let Slash get after it like he used to back in the day.. 

 

KOHD the current live version is so bloated with the 8 solos in the middle.  They need to go back to the 90s version with the one slash solo in the middle.  KOHD is one of the most boring things on the set list.  Its stupid the band is doing like a 12 minute version of it, that is assinine They need to go back to a 6-8 minute version and add in another UYI song like the garden, pretty tied up or perfect crime.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Retire this damn song and play something else.

Can you imagine though?  There'd be a riot if it wasn't played. lol  I've always thought it an incredibly dull song but it is a crowd pleaser and Axl works it (and works it and works it)...god knows how long it goes on for these days...I don't watch it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Can you imagine though?  There'd be a riot if it wasn't played. lol  I've always thought it an incredibly dull song but it is a crowd pleaser and Axl works it (and works it and works it)...god knows how long it goes on for these days...I don't watch it.

10 minutes or so....when you there in person though at the show it doesn't seem like that long and it helps too to have the whole crowd is into it! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Nothing beats the 80s versions of KOHD period.

If they cannot play it like the 80's version they could do the next best thing and play it in the 2002 style.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 4:50 PM, RONIN said:

Retire this damn song and play something else.

Nah just retire the current version.. The song is a staple in the set and the crowd definitely gets off on it.  It's just their weakest rendition ever..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Nah just retire the current version.. The song is a staple in the set and the crowd definitely gets off on it.  It's just their weakest rendition ever..

That's my thing: I don't want KOHD gone, I just want this version gone. There's absolutely NO reason for KOHD to be a 12-15 minute affair. 

I'm one of the biggest Fortus fans around here and even I don't think there needs to be a break after every other lyric for him to noodle around for 2 minutes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like this version, its close to the Clapton one and both Fortus and Slash actually does a great job on it. Not really following all the gigs to have a favourite, but overall I think he sounds great, I like his tone.

But I agree it should be reduced to 6 minutes tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should be reduced to 6 minutes as well but when your actually there in person it goes by a lot faster and is a lot of fun for the crowd. I never watch videos of KOHD but really enjoy the song when I’m actually at the concert. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think it should be reduced to 6 minutes as well but when your actually there in person it goes by a lot faster and is a lot of fun for the crowd. I never watch videos of KOHD but really enjoy the song when I’m actually at the concert. 

My experience was similar at Gillette. I thought it was one of the highlights as the crowd had a great time and was engaged. I also think it gives the band members a bit of a break while still having fun. I could see how it could be a drag for people watching online though. Especially when they already have so many long songs in the setlist (Coma, RQ, KOHD, DTJ, etc.). Personally, I would prefer RQ to be played closer to the studio version.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×