Why I think new music is coming

28 minutes ago, sabian11 said:

Enough with the fuckin Axl/DC shit! My God the stuff I read on this board sometimes! No wonder why I smoke so much weed. Truthfully the only answer is new GNR music as the man above stated "Let GNR be GNR" we finally have Axl and Slash back. Why in God's name would anything else be acceptable at this point. Theres even a thread on DJ returning as a rumor Fuck I gotta roll another or I'll go crazy reading all this nonsense LOL!

Out of likes👍

• Like 1

AC/DC should be retired. It's only Angus left and even if Brian comes back, it's done.

As for a new GNR album, didn't Fortus say something about that in the summer?

And if we're doing wishes: I'd rather have an UYI 3 or CD 2 than something like Appetite. I think the UYI's and CD are far more interesting albums than Appetite, it has much deeper songs and I'm into that. 

But if you think about it, it's the simple stuff that gets you over. Michael Jackson's Thriller is the best selling album, the songs are very simple, not really anything lyrically amazing on that. Only after Thriller he started with the deep stuff which didn't sell as good as Thriller(even though it still sold more than anything else). Same goes for GNR, Appetite was very simple but the UYI's were deeper and didn't sell as much as Appetite.

It's the simple stuff that sells, the simple songs are the hits most of the time and thats why I think if they want to make the biggest album-comeback ever it will be something like Appetite.

EDIT: Even if Axl/DC returns (WHICH IT WON'T, TRUST ME!) I'm not that interested in it.

Edited by TheGeneral

Honestly, as much as I want to hear new GNR songs from Axl, Duff and Slash, I think an album is a LOT farther away than anyone here thinks. At best, whether they're completely new songs or re-done CD songs, I'd guess we'll hear 2 or 3 slapped onto the end of another Greatest Hits - something like Red, White & Crue (Disc 1, best of the old stuff, disc 2 CD-era stuff, a couple remixes or alternate versions, and a couple 'new' tracks).

If they do put an album out, I really hope it's just CD II with Slash and Duff re-recording some parts. Leave Brain's drumming on at least some stuff, leave Bucket and Robin's guitars, and take out Bumble, DJ and Tommy's parts. Maybe a couple Slash-written songs, but if they put out an album that's like SMKC I'll be let down.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I agree. At this stage a UYI approach would be better than an AFD one (as far as the material goes, not the process).

I'd like them to work on the scrapped material from the mid 90s, before Slash left. Some of it may have been used already (in Slash's and VR albums), but I'm sure there's still unused stuff. Then pick the best of the incomplete stuff from the CD era and work on it. Add some brand new songs, both Slash and Axl stuff, maybe also a Duff one, and there is an album. If Izzy is involved that would be even better, but even the three of them could do it.

As for the completed or almost completed Buckethead/Finck CD era stuff, I think it should stay as it is and Axl find a way of releasing it (in a box set, under another name like "GnR-Chinese Democracy", whatever). Although I'm not a big fan, I'd be interested to hear that stuff. And more importantly, I don't think it would be fair for those people to see their work discarded and redone.

I've thought for a long time Axl should just put CD2/3 out as a solo album and start from scratch with Slash/Duff for GN'R. That would probably take forever though so if we do get a GN'R record I think it's more likely to be a mix of 90's, CD era and new stuff.

• Like 1

Here’s my longer, more serious answer.

There are many things blocking a new Guns release from taking place, many of which that people don’t seem to take into account.

1.) Compatibility. I truly don’t believe Axl and Slash would see eye to eye on a new record. Compare Chinese to any SMKC album- completely different. Keep in mind that this is one of the factors that broke up the band in the mid 90’s, differing ideas of what the next Guns album should be. 

2.) The actual content of new music. Chinese II is in a very akward state. Axl had plans to release it in 2015, and had been working on those songs for quite a while. It’s not as easy as “Slash and Duff record new overdubs and the album is done”. You have to sign off on many past members- Finck, Pitman, Freese, Tobias, Bumble as well as go into every song and replace specific parts. It’s not an overnight job and this also ties in to the first point because think about it- does Slash actually want to just overdub people who Axl replaced him with? And everyone says “okay fine, scrap the CDII content and write a new record”- which for some bands, a new album could be done in 6 months, but, my next point...

3.) Axl. Love the guy. But he is incapable of releasing anything on time. Chinese was in development hell for over a decade and so is its alleged sequel. You also have to remember that his trademark voice he may have used on CDII songs may not be the same anymore. And everyone thinks it’ll be done in 6 months? Cmon.

4.) SMKC has confirmed to be working on a new album. Myles would really only have to spend 2-3 weeks to record vocals. The rest of the band can be recording in the meantime and Slash could potentially even write some of the lyrics. Many people have confirmed SMKC is together and I don’t believe there’s any lying going on to protect us from knowing there’s a new Guns album. Look at the facts everyone.

Wake up and smell the (Guns n’) roses.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

To quote the Angry Video Game Nerd, recording new music for this band would be like “trying to pick fly shit from pepper while wearing boxing gloves. It’d be easier to dodge rain without your heels or toes touching the ground.” 

tldr; no

Off topic: The nerd is a CD fan ;)

Edited by jettesnel
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, tremolo said:

You are judging based on a live performance, not on their capability of recording original material that turns out to be the best hard rock album of the last 20+ years.

Well no, I'm also judging on what they have recorded previously over their careers but I thought that was obvious. I think a collaboration would be amazing, you don't, fair enough.

1 hour ago, sabian11 said:

Enough with the fuckin Axl/DC shit! My God the stuff I read on this board sometimes! No wonder why I smoke so much weed. Truthfully the only answer is new GNR music as the man above stated "Let GNR be GNR" we finally have Axl and Slash back. Why in God's name would anything else be acceptable at this point. Theres even a thread on DJ returning as a rumor Fuck I gotta roll another or I'll go crazy reading all this nonsense LOL!

I’ll join you, buddy 

Edited by Carmenjello

I got an account cause I was 100% convinced about guns releasing music at some point. Now that I've heard Slash talk about Axl, and reconnecting with Axl I'm 110% convinced. 

I can't wait to see how the naysayers here react. Some people just can't read between the lines.

Edited by Order of Nine
Spelling
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, jettesnel said:

That review pretty much summarizes every thought I have ever had about Chinese Democracy. Such a good and balanced review in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I got an account cause I was 100% convinced about guns releasing music at some point. Now that I've heard Slash talk about Axl, and reconnecting with Axl I'm 110% convinced. 

I can't wait to see how the naysayers here react. Some people just can't read between the lines.

Let’s see where we are in terms of new music in 6 months then.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

They will probably be very happy that one of their favorite bands release new Music, don't you Think? ;) 

I used to be a "yaysayer", but my butt is way to sore right now to handle another round.

16 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Every naysayer would love it if they released new music. But if you've followed GNR for the last 20 years, you've been conditioned to expect disappointment :lol:

41 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

1.) Compatibility. I truly don’t believe Axl and Slash would see eye to eye on a new record. Compare Chinese to any SMKC album- completely different. Keep in mind that this is one of the factors that broke up the band in the mid 90’s, differing ideas of what the next Guns album should be.

That would be my biggest concern. Going into the studio is such a massive leap from simply touring the old songs, would they be on the same page? Or would old disagreements/resentments resurface? Would love a new record but I think it's a big ask.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

That review pretty much summarizes every thought I have ever had about Chinese Democracy. Such a good and balanced review in my opinion.

Let’s see where we are in terms of new music in 6 months then.

It could be a couple years but I'm sure it will happen.

14 minutes ago, jettesnel said:

They will probably be very happy that one of their favorite bands release new Music, don't you Think? ;) 

I used to be a "yaysayer", but my butt is way to sore right now to handle another round.

I would hope that they would be happy, but I've been trolling here without an account since 2001 and it seems most people love to hate.

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Every naysayer would love it if they released new music. But if you've followed GNR for the last 20 years, you've been conditioned to expect disappointment :lol:

Agreed. 

However. I really feel that since 2014 it hasn't been "Axls fault". 2 guys out, that put any plans on ice to release music. And Slash and Duff back also complicates that, in a good way, but it still slows that process down. I think they know they have to pull the trigger and release something for thier own sake. I know none of them want to be remembered as a legacy nostalgic act.

Edited by Order of Nine
Spelling

1 hour ago, jettesnel said:

If Slash and Duff tracks we're on this and it was produced in that "classic" Mike Clink style just about everyone here would be praising it. 

I think that's the thing I'm interested in most about what they release next is the production value, I liked all the extra pointless tracks but I think with the casual fan it went over thier heads. Especially in the genre of rock, it was tracked more like a progressive metal album then a rock album.

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Agreed. 

However. I really feel that since 2014 it hasn't been "Axls fault". 2 guys out, that put any plans on ice to release music. And Slash and Duff back also complicates that, in a good way, but it still slows that process down. I think they know they have to pull the trigger and release something for thier own sake. I know none of them want to be remembered as a legacy nostalgic act.

I don't think anything's really changed since 2014, at least in regards to releasing music. If Axl actually wanted to release CD II before the reunion, he could've assembled another band (with new or returning members) and toured it, just like he toured CD with a different band than the one that recorded it, and like he released his last album while not having a lead guitar player.

Ideally, Axl kept a few songs tucked away and saved for Slash (he mentioned in an interview, I wanna say in 1999 with Kurt Loder, that he had a few songs he'd like to hear Slash on, or something to that effect). People thinking they could do a record quickly are crazy, I'm betting it would take a very short time for Slash and Duff to record their parts, but it'd take Axl 6 months to re-mix each song.

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think anything's really changed since 2014, at least in regards to releasing music. If Axl actually wanted to release CD II before the reunion, he could've assembled another band (with new or returning members) and toured it, just like he toured CD with a different band than the one that recorded it, and like he released his last album while not having a lead guitar player.

Ideally, Axl kept a few songs tucked away and saved for Slash (he mentioned in an interview, I wanna say in 1999 with Kurt Loder, that he had a few songs he'd like to hear Slash on, or something to that effect). People thinking they could do a record quickly are crazy, I'm betting it would take a very short time for Slash and Duff to record their parts, but it'd take Axl 6 months to re-mix each song.

Yeah he could have put together a band to release it but he knows waiting for Slash would be much better. Early 2015 he talked to Slash so why would he go thru the trouble to release all that knowing there could be a potential for something bigger and better.

4 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Yeah he could have put together a band to release it but he knows waiting for Slash would be much better. Early 2015 he talked to Slash so why would he go thru the trouble to release all that knowing there could be a potential for something bigger and better.

Fair enough. Like I said, I hope he saved a couple tracks for Slash. It's hard to imagine he'd have an albums worth of stuff for him though, as there's probably some attachment to Robin/Buckets work, and then there's songs that just wouldn't suit Slash (Shackler's Revenge, Oh My God, Riad And The Bedouins, or Silkworms for example). But I guess it'd sell more whether Slash is on it or not, as long as he's "in the band" right?

• GNFNR 1