Why I think new music is coming

New music/new album has been hinted at during various points of the tour, during the past couple of years, etc  Axl said he had music/tracks done...Fernando hinted to it (or at least that's what was assumed)...Fortus hinted to it as well....people heard "previously unheard" riffs playing during warm-ups during a few shows....but at the end of the day it comes down to whether or not Axl wants to do it/release it....if he does, we'll get new music....if he doesn't, we won't. :shrugs:

• Like 2

On 05/01/2018 at 10:41 AM, YourMother'sDruthers said:

It's not hard to imagine that axl played his music for slash and duff, and asked them which songs they're interested in working on.  All they have to do is isolate Axl's vocal tracks and record new music to them, like they did during much of the illusions albums. Essentially, the music in the vault is scrapped (with the exception of Axl's vocals/lyrics/melodies), and new music is created featuring slash and duff. This is the most likely scenario, and if axl really has 3 albums worth of material, he never has to record vocals or write lyrics again (and likely wont) and there could still be another album or 2 from axl, slash, duff, and the rest of the band.

That’s not how any original guns album was written, the music generally came first. Lyrics after.

not sure how they’d go using axls vocal tracks isolated but it can be done. The final product would be interesting to hear

If there is new music I hope to god it isn't a cut and paste job of pre-written and / or already pre-recorded music. It needs to be organically created.

It will also be interesting who plays on the album, given 40% of the lineup are remnants of the MKIV of the CD era lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

If there is new music I hope to god it isn't a cut and paste job of pre-written and / or already pre-recorded music. It needs to be organically created.

It will also be interesting who plays on the album, given 40% of the lineup are remnants of the MKIV of the CD era lineup.

Since I'm already convinced we're getting new music this is the most interesting aspect to speculate about for me.  What does 'new music' entail?

First of all, I'm not convinced we're going to get a full album of original material that's been created post 2016, not yet anyway.   We might get a handful of post-2016 songs, say 3 or 4, to add to the setlist on tour.  

If there is a full album, I would guess it would include some post-2016 and some pre-2016...so those songs that Axl already had in the bag at the start of the tour, that he'd played for Slash and Duff and that might presumably re-work.  

So yeah, I think new music might entail some cut and paste (sorry!) and some original post-2016 tracks.  Probably, Axl would like to make it all sound seamless though, as though it has all come from the same place.

As to who plays?  The current line-up I guess, including Melissa, which then makes me wonder what kind of GNR sound we're going to get?

Anyway, those are my rambling, speculating thoughts.

1 hour ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

An EP like Lies would be nice. But I doubt it... :shrugs:

They could do something like "Lies 2" with live versions of The Seeker, BHS, Lineman etc and 3 or 4 new original songs.

I'm not even asking for a new album with 15 tracks (although I would love that)...but just SOMETHING new

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, EvanG said:

I don't see them beating their first two records, and no one can live up to thirty years of expectations and nostalgia, which a lot of love for old GnR is based on, so a lot of people will be disappointed. Just my two cents... I would love to be wrong.

Such a ridiculous statement.  So no band should put out albums if they are not going to beat their first one, which is usually always the best album of any band.  Usually.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 10:00 AM, EvanG said:

I don't see them beating their first two records, and no one can live up to thirty years of expectations and nostalgia, which a lot of love for old GnR is based on, so a lot of people will be disappointed. Just my two cents... I would love to be wrong.

We will never know if they never try it. For all the bands in the world, GNR is the one I believe that can surprises us in a good way music wise. Why? Cause theyre still umpredictable, they havent showed us much and Axl and Slash are great song writters together. 

Say what you will about Izzy, but Axl and Slash brought us Locomotive, November Rain, Coma and Estranged. 

"Oh, but Axls song are so corny" fuck off, they are amazing creations, any composer would love to have done those, and with Slashs guitars, they are perfect. 

I believe they still have a lot to show us, Slash and Axl together can be a power house, they fit and complement and bring the best from each other. Or at least use to. 

And for the argument that a band cant compete with their past: A Bigger Bang is one of my fav Stones albums. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dcrazed212 said:

Such a ridiculous statement.  So no band should put out albums if they are not going to beat their first one, which is usually always the best album of any band.  Usually.

2 hours ago, default_ said:

We will never know if they never try it. For all the bands in the world, GNR is the one I believe that can surprises us in a good way music wise. Why? Cause theyre still umpredictable, they havent showed us much and Axl and Slash are great song writters together. 

Say what you will about Izzy, but Axl and Slash brought us Locomotive, November Rain, Coma and Estranged. 

"Oh, but Axls song are so corny" fuck off, they are amazing creations, any composer would love to have done those, and with Slashs guitars, they are perfect. 

I believe they still have a lot to show us, Slash and Axl together can be a power house, they fit and complement and bring the best from each other. Or at least use to. 

And for the argument that a band cant compete with their past: A Bigger Bang is one of my fav Stones albums. 

You guys should read again what I actually said. Because I never said that they shouldn't release another album... I really hope they will. I'll even take something half as good as the first two records. I was just saying that a lot of people will probably be disappointed, because there's no way that they could live up to the expectations after so many years.

edit; oh, and I don't agree that a band's first album is usually their best one... sometimes sure, not usually. But that's a whole different discussion.

Edited by EvanG

41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I was just saying that a lot of people will probably be disappointed, because there's no way that they could live up to the expectations after so many years.

I kinda get your point. The fact is, besides being great albums, they are now loaded with nostalgia and for some people this nostalgia thing is too strong. I mean, it´s not just the songs, it´s the songs plus a lot of another factors that people lived in the past and many of us are still not convinced that the past can not be recreated. And I´m sure that people would not be disappointed with the new songs themselves, but with the fact that they can´t get those 20/30 years old fellings back.

I do believe that they can delivery a kick ass álbum w the current lineup...but I don´t believe that they can top the past, even the AFD5 can´t. Nostalgia is a bitch, sometimes!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 4:26 PM, TheGeneral said:

They must have talked very often about so much stuff before Troubadour.

Imagine you were in a band and you absolutely hated your former bandmate for 20 years. Would you say "Okay we've talked once so let's do a 2 year tour!"?

They must have either met up very often to reconcile and be friends again or start to work on something just to see if that partnership would even work out.

Even if they only met very often they must have talked about the possibility of a new album.

Everything could be possible, but still we know nothing.

Exactly. 

And this tour was a way to prove all the doubters wrong and build momentum for that. 

Im glad they aren't doing alot of the cliche things like press and major endorsing, to me it shows a band that wants to still do things thier own way. 

Has anyone ever mentioned or pointed out how much Axl and GnR have been praised in the press since the NITL tour??? That's because the industry is cashing in on thier pay day too, typical parasitic behavior, and it was a drastic shift in attitude.

And people on here wonder why Axl and his new band got bashed for years in the media.. When people are losing money that's ALWAYS the case. 

1 hour ago, Derick said:

I kinda get your point. The fact is, besides being great albums, they are now loaded with nostalgia and for some people this nostalgia thing is too strong. I mean, it´s not just the songs, it´s the songs plus a lot of another factors that people lived in the past and many of us are still not convinced that the past can not be recreated. And I´m sure that people would not be disappointed with the new songs themselves, but with the fact that they can´t get those 20/30 years old fellings back.

I do believe that they can delivery a kick ass álbum w the current lineup...but I don´t believe that they can top the past, even the AFD5 can´t. Nostalgia is a bitch, sometimes!

That's exactly what I was saying. I've noticed that some people here are very focused on when the new album is coming out, like it is a given that with Slash and Axl back together, new music will automatically be very good, just like before, but it's not like before. They're different people now, it's a different situation. Even if they release a great album, which I'm sure they can still do, I don't think it can top the nostalgia and the expectations that some people here seem to have. I'm not saying that goes for everyone.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's exactly what I was saying. I've noticed that some people here are very focused on when the new album is coming out, like it is a given that with Slash and Axl back together, new music will automatically be very good, just like before, but it's not like before. They're different people now, it's a different situation. Even if they release a great album, which I'm sure they can still do, I don't think it can top the nostalgia and the expectations that some people here seem to have. I'm not saying that goes for everyone.

Even if an album comes out there's no guarantee that it's gonna be great, Fortus' music is bad, Franks hiphop drumming is one of the worst things to ever happen to the band in my opinion, and Melissa and Dizzy are in the band and need something to play on the songs aswell. Ideally I wish the band would dissolve the line up after NITL and then later come back and write an album with Izzy and have Steven or Matt drum but I just don't see it happening. AFD5 other than maybe some live shows seems so impossible to me because Axl will want to keep playing his sacred CD songs and Fortus and Ferrer in the band give him that opportunity.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Even if an album comes out there's no guarantee that it's gonna be great, Fortus' music is bad, Franks hiphop drumming is one of the worst things to ever happen to the band in my opinion, and Melissa and Dizzy are in the band and need something to play on the songs aswell. Ideally I wish the band would dissolve the line up after NITL and then later come back and write an album with Izzy and have Steven or Matt drum but I just don't see it happening. AFD5 other than maybe some live shows seems so impossible to me because Axl will want to keep playing his sacred CD songs and Fortus and Ferrer in the band give him that opportunity.

I agree, but if somehow they managed to get back to the original AFD lineup to record an album, then I think a lot of people will think that there will be another album as great as AFD coming out of it, but that's not how it works... I'm not saying it won't be great, I obviously don't know, but after so many years of waiting and wishing (at least for some people), I think it can only disappoint, because no one can compete with that much nostalgia.

7 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

They could do something like "Lies 2" with live versions of The Seeker, BHS, Lineman etc and 3 or 4 new original songs.

I'm not even asking for a new album with 15 tracks (although I would love that)...but just SOMETHING new

In fairness, TB should consider this as the best business plan moving forward!

They can have a bit of fun doing the covers and they must be able to agree on 4-5 “new” tracks that are mostly done.

Buys them a legitimate tour, good publicity, happy fans and 2 years ish to figure out the next album.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Anybody who has followed GNR (Axl anyway) for more than 5 minutes should know that if they are getting their hopes up for new music then they are a fucking fool. 

Fool me once, shame on you...

I’m with you man. I hope we’re wrong, but I would put odds of new music being 10%.

I’m also not sold we’re going to even get the blu-ray. I’d give that a 40% chance. 

I hope you optimists are right!!! 

11 hours ago, Its Tino said:

I’m with you man. I hope we’re wrong, but I would put odds of new music being 10%.

I’m also not sold we’re going to even get the blu-ray. I’d give that a 40% chance. 

I hope you optimists are right!!! 

When has GNR announced anything about a Blu Ray from this tour? Isn't that all based on our speculation, i.e. made up shit we'd want to happen if we had our way? Giving that a 40% chance is quite generous.

In fact, I'd argue that'd be quite a stupid decision to immortalize Axls performances on several key cuts from this tour such as PC, YCBM and SCOM which are embarrassing every time, I can't imagine him listening back to any of them and wanting it on a release, unless he re-records the vocal, and who'd want that again..

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

When has GNR announced anything about a Blu Ray from this tour? Isn't that all based on our speculation, i.e. made up shit we'd want to happen if we had our way? Giving that a 40% chance is quite generous.

In fact, I'd argue that'd be quite a stupid decision to immortalize Axls performances on several key cuts from this tour such as PC, YCBM and SCOM which are embarrassing every time, I can't imagine him listening back to any of them and wanting it on a release, unless he re-records the vocal, and who'd want that again..

Haha 40% is quite generous, you’re right. 10%?

• GNFNR 1