The Predator

Doesn't the idea of a Shane Black Predator film give you wood?

The ironic thing (other than Shane Black being in the original Predator) is that Shane is somewhat of a subversive. Sure, the films he wrote in the eighties are very good "standard" action films, but the films he's directed take left turns. They are idiosyncratic, I guess is the word. 

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang has a standard gumshoe detective plot, so does The Nice Guys, but both of them have much "weird" to their characters. In Iron Man 3, he made a film where Robert Downey Jr essentially never puts on the Iron Man suit. He took away the most defining characteristic to the character and let Downey just run the show by running his mouth. He took the villain that was built up to be the Joker of the Iron Man universe and made him a feckless actor playing a character for a puppet-master organization.

What I'm saying is, who knows what zany shit this guy will do with Predator!? You know at some point it's going to get cheeky and weird and you know that only Shane Black can pull off a Shane Black backflip. 

We'll see...but the teaser kinda looks like shit. It reminds me of AVP Requiem in terms of general tone and setting so far.

Also is it me or having several predators in the same movie kinda dilutes the tension ? The first movie worked because of the isolation of the characters and because there was one, unknown creature observing them and hunting them. There seems to be none of that in this movie. 

Hope I'm wrong but...

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Personally I always found myself sideing with The Preadator.  There’s a sort of single-minded honour to the way in which he conducts his business.  He’s the Preadator, its what he does...whats Dillions excuse for being such a cunt? :lol:

lol I always liked the Predator too.

I wasn't a fan of the Predator when it was with Arnold, because I pretty much liked all those actors, but when the Predator would fight the Aliens, I always wanted them to win. yeah, they only hunted other hunters. They were warriors from their planet, so that was pretty cool. Never liked the Aliens because they killed anyone. They had no honor. lol

Anyway, I think I saw Thomas Jane in the trailer and I've always liked him since Deep Blue Sea. I would love to see this movie since I've seen all the others with both Predator and Aliens.

Looks to be plenty of action and suspense. This make a very cool movie.

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Personally I always found myself sideing with The Preadator.  There’s a sort of single-minded honour to the way in which he conducts his business.  He’s the Preadator, its what he does...whats Dillions excuse for being such a cunt? :lol:

I don't know he kinda lost my respect after failing to kill Danny Glovers old ass :lol:

14 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I don't know he kinda lost my respect after failing to kill Danny Glovers old ass :lol:

‘OK pussyface...its yo move!’  Perhaps the greatest line in the history of cinema :lol:  And anyway, he didnt fail to kill him, he lured him to the spaceship full of other Preadators who let him off, they’ve stalled him out, thats different :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

‘OK pussyface...its yo move!’  Perhaps the greatest line in the history of cinema :lol:  And anyway, he didnt fail to kill him, he lured him to the spaceship full of other Preadators who let him off, they’ve stalled him out, thats different :lol:

I'm a big fan of Predator 2 actually i don't know why it gets ragged on so much, the train scene has so much tension. Great cast as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 5:01 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Saw more preview of the film on Nothing but trailers.

The new Predator looks more bad ass than before. he's got some new weapons too.

Looks like it's going to be very good.

New trailer, probably will disappoint but i'll go see it anyway i've had a crush on Olivia Munn ever since she was on Attack Of The Show.

• 2 months later...

It was a good film but it was not a good Predator film.

The Predators themselves felt shoehorned in, as well as the motives behind the differing tribes. We see more than enough carnage from them but they've lost all their finesse. There isn't a single subtle thing about the way they were presented.

What does really work is the dynamic of all different personalities and the fun way they integrated with each other. In fact, I thought this was a film that would benefit without any aliens. Which brings us to this: Shane writes good characters and can play the hell off of them, but he didn't move the mythology one bit. I would say this is proof that he's not a "franchise" guy at all. He's definitely suited towards self-contained films with their own identity. 

On 9/17/2018 at 3:33 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

didn't get to see it yet. I heard it wasn't scary at all. Maybe the tv should stop showing all the cool parts.

Not showing the ultimate Predator would have been cooler than knowing there's a bigger badder Predator out there.

So many good movies coming out this fall. So many choices

Predator films are action flicks first and foremost. They're really not meant to be scary other than the occasional jump scare. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's for the best that this film will be a one-off.

Shane's high hopes that he would get to make a trilogy out of Predator went up in flames in a perfect trifecta; poor advertising campaign, bad word of mouth and a social controversy that blew up in the days before the premier.

In my opinion, Olivia Munn was wrong to offer the film up as a sacrificial lamb to the metoo# movement. Shane Black didn't deserve to have the film stolen from him because he made the poor decision to help a friend who turned out to be a creep. Rumor has it that he was sobbing at the premier: he knew the film had no chance in the wake of all the bad press.

But...if anybody who saw this film bore witness to that last scene...that is nowhere I would want Predator to go...That shit is something you would see in Alien V Predator.

On 20/09/2018 at 2:44 AM, Powerage5 said:

Predator films are action flicks first and foremost. They're really not meant to be scary other than the occasional jump scare. 

I dunno, the first one was a good blend of both, mostly due to the soundtrack.  That and  the acting talents of Jesse 'The Body' Ventura :lol:

• 2 months later...