The Guns N' Roses Album that could have been

2 minutes ago, papashaun said:

Anywhere those demos are loaded?? For a listen??

yes https://we.tl/ueCtXhEq3k

the Kelly Schaefer demos are legit, the singer himself uploaded them onto his website

the other demos are much more obscure and I wasn't able to find much information about them. maybe someone else knows, but those might not be legit.

If, if....when will these if topics finally stop poping up!?!?

you are mentioning here songs that would have never been n same album because they came out in a time span of 20 years...

Plus you can't in all seriousness mention here CD songs and leave out Be the ball, Lower, Tijuana jail, Seattle head, Good news, Angelina, What the hell do you want to be, Back to the moment, Been there lately...

Since we are in fantasy land today  imagine this with  duff -axl-matt and Izzy -steven-

1- Soma City Ward 

2- Serial Killer

3- Good to Be Alive 

4-Dime Store Rock

5- Back and Forth Again -which the intro guitar can be heard on GNR VIDEOS 

6-SLITHER

7-ANASTASIA

8-Wicked Stone

9- Halo

10- Doin Fine 

11-Beggars and Hangers on 

12- Too far gone

13-Hard and Fast 

14- Been there Lately 

ROCK N FUCKING ROLL 

17 minutes ago, TMAC20 said:

Since we are in fantasy land today  imagine this with  duff -axl-matt and Izzy -steven-

1- Soma City Ward 

2- Serial Killer

3- Good to Be Alive 

4-Dime Store Rock

5- Back and Forth Again -which the intro guitar can be heard on GNR VIDEOS 

6-SLITHER

7-ANASTASIA

8-Wicked Stone

9- Halo

10- Doin Fine 

11-Beggars and Hangers on 

12- Too far gone

13-Hard and Fast 

14- Been there Lately 

ROCK N FUCKING ROLL 

there was a reason why the Snakepit albums were cool, but really never successful hugely. and it wasn't because they had a different singer than Axl Rose, and because they weren't from a band called Guns N' Roses.

it was simply because they were good, but not great. don't get me wrong, I love both of them. but from commercial point of view, they were just meh.

I have a playlist on my phone

Jump in Now

Slither

Better

Fall to Pieces

Time Gone By

There was a Time

Ghost

Ain’t it a Bitch

Catcher in the Rye

California

Safari Inn

This I Love

Edited by wasted

On 18/06/2018 at 9:22 PM, shotsfired cro said:

If, if....when will these if topics finally stop poping up!?!?

you are mentioning here songs that would have never been n same album because they came out in a time span of 20 years...

Plus you can't in all seriousness mention here CD songs and leave out Be the ball, Lower, Tijuana jail, Seattle head, Good news, Angelina, What the hell do you want to be, Back to the moment, Been there lately...

My rationale on this hypothetical was that I had to think it could be a GNR song. There were some solo stuff that I liked but didn’t see it being GNR enough. Ain’t Life Grand was one I enjoy but can’t see it as GNR. I Hate Everybody But You had huge GNR potential. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:23 AM, zombux said:

there was a reason why the Snakepit albums were cool, but really never successful hugely. and it wasn't because they had a different singer than Axl Rose, and because they weren't from a band called Guns N' Roses.

it was simply because they were good, but not great. don't get me wrong, I love both of them. but from commercial point of view, they were just meh.

Same with chinese. Without  the gnr brand a commercial  failure  , well it was a commercial failure anyway.

Just now, felixGNR said:

Same with chinese. Without  the gnr brand a commercial  failure  , well it was a commercial failure anyway.

indeed, the real problem with all those albums was, that they simply weren't great enough. all of them were good, sometimes very good (Chinese, Snakepit, VR, and so on), but not great.

the GNR brand helped Chinese a bit probably, but by the time it came out, it was already about 7 years too late. "newly born GNR" would help a lot in 2001, but already in 2003 there was a negative point of view (two riots, no-shows, cancellations, generally bad publicity, newspapers doing whatever they could to harm the public image of that lineup). so in 2008, the ChiDem lineup meant GNR had more negative publicity than anything else. every casual guy was just like "I've already heard tons of bad shit about this band, there's no way I'd buy this!", and that was it.

On 18/06/2018 at 10:23 PM, zombux said:

Both Niven and Zutaut thought Snakepit was terrible but Zutaut made it happen to keep Slash happy. And they didn’t want that stuff as Guns. 

I like it as Slash unleashed. That’s the loose production for Slash. But there’s no ballads so hard to sell. 

It’s kind of strange that Slash didn’t really get serious until 2004 with VR. Then Axl was talking about holding off a liitle in 2006. In that sense Axl wasn’t that late. 

12 hours ago, zombux said:

indeed, the real problem with all those albums was, that they simply weren't great enough. all of them were good, sometimes very good (Chinese, Snakepit, VR, and so on), but not great.

the GNR brand helped Chinese a bit probably, but by the time it came out, it was already about 7 years too late. "newly born GNR" would help a lot in 2001, but already in 2003 there was a negative point of view (two riots, no-shows, cancellations, generally bad publicity, newspapers doing whatever they could to harm the public image of that lineup). so in 2008, the ChiDem lineup meant GNR had more negative publicity than anything else. every casual guy was just like "I've already heard tons of bad shit about this band, there's no way I'd buy this!", and that was it.

It was released at the time of lowest cd sales. That’s why everyone was doing those exclusives. That was the successful move for bands at the time. CD sold to Best buy to cover the costs. The problem was it wasn’t worth promoting with videos so Azoff dropped the ball. They coukd have made more money by putting out the Beavan record in 99 and using the 10 mil to make 3 videos. But they gave Axl 10 mil to re-record. 

GNR had a 7 record deal, right? I think one reason the tec comp wont put out CD II was that they want to put out the reunion record under the current deal. Not have negoiate and potentially Axl and Slash go to another company for more money. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

It was released at the time of lowest cd sales. That’s why everyone was doing those exclusives. That was the successful move for bands at the time. CD sold to Best buy to cover the costs. The problem was it wasn’t worth promoting with videos so Azoff dropped the ball. They coukd have made more money by putting out the Beavan record in 99 and using the 10 mil to make 3 videos. But they gave Axl 10 mil to re-record. 

GNR had a 7 record deal, right? I think one reason the tec comp wont put out CD II was that they want to put out the reunion record under the current deal. Not have negoiate and potentially Axl and Slash go to another company for more money. 

It was a shambles with the whole release and aftermath, won't say never to hearing CD II stuff either, things change and money talks whether it be a public deal or private sale. Agree on all your points. 333 posts homefuckkkkkks.

1 hour ago, MrMojo said:

It was a shambles with the whole release and aftermath, won't say never to hearing CD II stuff either, things change and money talks whether it be a public deal or private sale. Agree on all your points. 333 posts homefuckkkkkks.

My guess is as soon as Azoff got the Best buy deal he took the record and rushed the artwork to get it BB. Axl said the record company told not to do a video, but they made one themselves for Better. BB was going to all the promo it wanted. But the whole point is they can soak up the short term losses and sell it long term. CD was part of a group of cds they sold. That Azoff was also trying to put a reunion tour together after it’s release shows how much support Axl had. They booked that Asian tour themselves. 

But it’s funny that they ended up doing that reunion tour and playing CD songs anyway. But they probably got a better deal than Azoff was offering. 

Obviously with Axl and Slash Duff back together. Pure CD II isn’t going to happen. Rec company definitely want some new Axl/Slash material. Axl has never made the same record twice so it’s pretty possible something entirely new gets made. Maybe with some YCBM, This I Love type hold over from CD. Atlas maybe. Maybe some Axl epics reworked by Slash. Maybe not that much though. Like Contranband meets CD ballads. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2018 at 9:31 PM, gnfnrs1972 said:

I think current band should rerecord Chinese Democracy like those misfits rerecorded AFD. I'd buy that for a dollar

Then release both as a double cd. 

call it “American Bankruptcy”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zombux said:

at this point, they could just poop together onstage and still they would sell out all the shows.

no. sorry but no. Axl and his cohorts sold out shows, the original 3 sold out shows in 2016, the original 3 sold out shows in 2017. what has been sold out in 2018 ? the gravy train is obviously slowing down. it has started to dwindle. only the die hards want more shows, the casuals(50%) have been there done that and got the T shirt. with nothing new to re-spark interest i would say its nearly over. 

On 6/18/2018 at 12:50 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I just want them to hand over the album that Slash, Izzy, Duff and Matt wrote to Axl and let him have his way with it.  The one that Scott rejected because he said it sounded too much like Guns N' Roses.

I'm basing this on nothing but my logic but I would guess we heard most of those songs so far through various solo albums. You won't just throw 10+ written songs cause one singer went crazy and the other one didn't think it fits the band.