The Tobacco Thread

Sosso

I dont go for tobacco. I had a mild addiction to blending it with weed for a brief period in High School, though. I can see the appeal of the odd cigar here and there, but not chew.

Most of my contact with it now is in relationships with Indigenous people. Where bundles of tobacco are given as gifts, used in ritual and placed in locations for healing (among other uses).

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Why wouldnt I be? Whats funny about that?

Its not funny haha, its just...the last answer I expected :lol:  Don't act like thats normal, I never met nobody that gets tabacco and moccassins off the indigenous people of...anywhere, I mean its like Dr Livingstone shit.  Its cool and everything, just don't think I've ever got that answer from anyone about anything ever.  'so what you up to bruv?' 'Ah, just chillin' with the Hopi Indians of Hertfordshire, smashing bunch of lads!' :lol: 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not funny haha, its just...the last answer I expected :lol:  Don't act like thats normal, I never met nobody that gets tabacco and moccassins off the indigenous people of...anywhere, I mean its like Dr Livingstone shit.  Its cool and everything, just don't think I've ever got that answer from anyone about anything ever.  'so what you up to bruv?' 'Ah, just chillin' with the Hopi Indians of Hertfordshire, smashing bunch of lads!' :lol: 

Its incredibly normal when you live on there land. So I will act like its normal. :shrugs:

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wasn't tryna be rude, I swear to God, it was just a really singular sort of answer.  I thought Canada was all cities and shit.

Canada is fairly desolate.

Canadians usually trade maple syrup and Labatt Blue for other commodities. Occasionally a duel is declared and they head to the rink for a hockey match.

I'm not saying that I dont believe soon, if it's TRUE, then its true.

I will say this though... I have a cabin in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and my father had one for YEARS before that (his was actually surrounded by Native American land). Which this area of Michigan (the U.P.) is essentially Canada as far as most Americans are concerned. Anyways... I've NEVER heard anything remotely like what Soon is saying. Native American land that I've been on (again lots of experience here) isnt much different than any other small little American town. They have gas stations, stores, etc. Which they sell cigarettes and anything else you might want. Marlboros and anything else. No different really. Other than if you get in trouble by tribal police, you might have some issues there.

Again I'm NOT saying I dont believe his story, but it's not like Michigan or Canada is known for its home grown tobacco... 

I've heard about some REALLY crazy Native American legends/stories (look up Mishipeshu). But I've NEVER heard about trading for home grown tobacco. Homegrown something else... But not tobacco.

41 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I will say this though... I have a cabin in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and my father had one for YEARS before that (his was actually surrounded by Native American land). Which this area of Michigan (the U.P.) is essentially Canada as far as most Americans are concerned. Anyways... I've NEVER heard anything remotely like what Soon is saying. Native American land that I've been on (again lots of experience here) isnt much different than any other small little American town. They have gas stations, stores, etc. Which they sell cigarettes and anything else you might want. Marlboros and anything else. No different really. Other than if you get in trouble by tribal police, you might have some issues there.

Again I'm NOT saying I dont believe his story, but it's not like Michigan or Canada is known for its home grown tobacco... 

I've heard about some REALLY crazy Native American legends/stories (look up Mishipeshu). But I've NEVER heard about trading for home grown tobacco. Homegrown something else... But not tobacco.

Im sorry, what it is that you think Ive said? I'm not following at all?

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

If whats true?

I will say this though... I have a cabin in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and my father had one for YEARS before that (his was actually surrounded by Native American land). Which this area of Michigan (the U.P.) is essentially Canada as far as most Americans are concerned. Anyways... I've NEVER heard anything remotely like what Soon is saying.

What is it that you think I am saying?

I have a cabin in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and my father had one for YEARS before that (his was actually surrounded by Native American land). Which this area of Michigan (the U.P.) is essentially Canada as far as most Americans are concerned.

Yet Upper Michigan is populated with Americans and Canada is populated by Canadians. There's a difference. :lol:

Native American land that I've been on (again lots of experience here) isnt much different than any other small little American town. They have gas stations, stores, etc. Which they sell cigarettes and anything else you might want. Marlboros and anything else. No different really. Other than if you get in trouble by tribal police, you might have some issues there.

I did not speak about Reserves. :lol:

Other than if you get in trouble by tribal police, you might have some issues there.

What issues? What are you talking about?

They have gas stations, stores, etc. Which they sell cigarettes and anything else you might want. Marlboros and anything else. No different really. Other than if you get in trouble by tribal police, you might have some issues there.

I did not speak about gas stations or convenience stores. :lol:

Again I'm NOT saying I dont believe his story

What story?

but it's not like Michigan or Canada is known for its home grown tobacco...

I did not speak about homegrown tobacco. :lol:

But, growing tobacco on an industrial scale is something that even Natives can do. Gasp!

I've heard about some REALLY crazy Native American legends/stories (look up Mishipeshu).

Why are you talking about hearing legends?

But I've NEVER heard about trading for home grown tobacco.

I also didnt talk about trading. :lol:

But I've NEVER heard about trading for home grown tobacco. Homegrown something else... But not tobacco.

Natives are criminals :lol:

On 12/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, soon said:

Most of my contact with it now is in relationships with Indigenous people. Where bundles of tobacco are given as gifts, used in ritual and placed in locations for healing (among other uses).

This is the post I was responding to. Where do you get the bundles of tobacco, may I ask? Clearly somebody has grown it, that's my point. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would have to be done in some sort of grow room type of place. Your not growing tobacco outside in Michigan or Canada for that matter. Which I'm not saying isnt possible, but if it was going on (anywhere near the scale you are talking), I would have encountered some bundles of tobacco for sale. Which I NEVER have. 

Besides that, I (to be quite frank) find this post to be at very least insensitive and at it's most down right racists. Native Americans are NO different than the rest of us in 2018. I dont care if its Canada or Michigan. While there might be a subset of elders in the community that keep the traditions of old (and the tobacco was a part of that), you painted a picture of a severe generalization. 90% (if not more), are just like everyone else, they dont care about trading (im sorry gifts) for bundles of tobacco. If they want some, they will just go to the store and buy some. I have personal experience with Chippewas, Iroquois, and Soux Natives. I would bet you are talking about the same types (since they are literally on the other side of Lake Huron from me). Which it was THESE groups that named Huron, Michigan, and other locations in the area. 

16 hours ago, soon said:

If whats true?

What is it that you think I am saying?

Yet Upper Michigan is populated with Americans and Canada is populated by Canadians. There's a difference. :lol:

I did not speak about Reserves. :lol:

What issues? What are you talking about?

I did not speak about gas stations or convenience stores. :lol:

What story?

I did not speak about homegrown tobacco. :lol:

But, growing tobacco on an industrial scale is something that even Natives can do. Gasp!

Why are you talking about hearing legends?

I also didnt talk about trading. :lol:

Natives are criminals :lol:

I'm sorry but the rest of this post is just plain nonsense and you know it. You are trying to twist my words...

25 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

This is the post I was responding to. Where do you get the bundles of tobacco, may I ask? Clearly somebody has grown it, that's my point. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would have to be done in some sort of grow room type of place. Your not growing tobacco outside in Michigan or Canada for that matter. Which I'm not saying isnt possible, but if it was going on (anywhere near the scale you are talking), I would have encountered some bundles of tobacco for sale. Which I NEVER have. 

Besides that, I (to be quite frank) find this post to be at very least insensitive and at it's most down right racists. Native Americans are NO different than the rest of us in 2018. I dont care if its Canada or Michigan. While there might be a subset of elders in the community that keep the traditions of old (and the tobacco was a part of that), you painted a picture of a severe generalization. 90% (if not more), are just like everyone else, they dont care about trading (im sorry gifts) for bundles of tobacco. If they want some, they will just go to the store and buy some. I have personal experience with Chippewas, Iroquois, and Soux Natives. I would bet you are talking about the same types (since they are literally on the other side of Lake Huron from me). Which it was THESE groups that named Huron, Michigan, and other locations in the area. 

I'm sorry but the rest of this post is just plain nonsense and you know it. You are trying to twist my words...

Oh for fucks sake. Pointing out all the things that I didnt say is not twisting your words in any way. Quite the opposite.

And why would someone lie? :lol:

I didnt paint any depiction what so ever. I said "native" and "tobacco" and you imagined up the rest. And then you deemed your own depiction "racist." :lol:

The dumbest part is how Native cigarettes is a major industry in Canada!:lol:

But I wasnt talking about cigarettes either :lol:

Edited by soon

@soon,

I'm talking about the major generalizations you are making... Now COULD your grandfather have done something similar to what you are saying at some point in the past (and you were there to witness it?) Yes I would say that is possible. But you made it sound like this is some sort of regular occurance that happens all the time, that's what I'm calling BS on. Besides IF it did happen, it would be more appropriate to say "My grandfather used to bring gifts of tobacco to this Native American guy (we shall call Frank)." Not make this sweeping generalization that this is some sort of regular occurrence that "Indigenous" people do, because that is simply NOT true. 

As for your comment about "Native made cigarettes" I'm sure that is true. But here's the deal, they are being grown elsewhere and being shipped TO Canada and elsewhere. It's a known fact that tobacco is grown in warm weather locations. That's why places like Virginia and North Carolina (in the US) are the top tobacco producing states. In the rest of the world its grown in places like India, Pakistan, etc. ALL of Canadain brand cigarettes are grown in these locations as well, then shipped to Canada and sold. Even the Native American brands...

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@soon,

I'm talking about the major generalizations you are making... Now COULD your grandfather have done something similar to what you are saying at some point in the past (and you were there to witness it?) Yes I would say that is possible. But you made it sound like this is some sort of regular occurance that happens all the time, that's what I'm calling BS on. Besides IF it did happen, it would be more appropriate to say "My grandfather used to bring gifts of tobacco to this Native American guy (we shall call Frank)." Not make this sweeping generalization that this is some sort of regular occurrence that "Indigenous" people do, because that is simply NOT true. 

As for your comment about "Native made cigarettes" I'm sure that is true. But here's the deal, they are being grown elsewhere and being shipped TO Canada and elsewhere. It's a known fact that tobacco is grown in warm weather locations. That's why places like Virginia and North Carolina (in the US) are the top tobacco producing states. In the rest of the world its grown in places like India, Pakistan, etc. ALL of Canadain brand cigarettes are grown in these locations as well, then shipped to Canada and sold. Even the Native American brands...

I made no generalizations. You did.

I have native friends and that apparently blows your mind to the point that my having mentioned it has prompted you to call me a liar and a racist. :lol:

What you have said here, based on only your imagination and nothing that I said, are such poorly formed thoughts. Even for the internet.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Soon, Mikey, there's only one way to settle this...mud wrestling.  Go on lads, get your kit off :lol:

Thats racist. Even IF the mud you claim to have prepared EXISTS (if its true then its True). But the suggestion that we would wear bikinis is SO 1980 and DOES NOT represent man on man mud wrestling in 2018. I should know, my cabin is surrounded by them. :P:lol: