Appetite for Distortion Ep. 104 - Richard Fortus and Freekbass talk Headtronics

• downzy pinned this topic

41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's cool you got to interview him, but that was pretty underwhelming as far as GNR stuff... :shrugs:

You have to do what’s right for the guest and what they’re comfortable with. Same approach when I interviewed Tommy Stinson. And because of that I’m going to interview him again soon. 

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

You have to do what’s right for the guest and what they’re comfortable with. Same approach when I interviewed Tommy Stinson. And because of that I’m going to interview him again soon. 

Don't get me wrong, it's understandable why you didn't ask certain questions. But with a GNR-based podcast interviewing the current GNR guitar player, I was hoping for more. Looking forward to you next interview with Fortus though.... do you know when we can expect to hear it?

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Don't get me wrong, it's understandable why you didn't ask certain questions. But with a GNR-based podcast interviewing the current GNR guitar player, I was hoping for more. Looking forward to you next interview with Fortus though.... do you know when we can expect to hear it?

Next interview with Tommy maybe next week. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Next interview with Tommy maybe next week. 

I just listened to a couple of Replacements albums during the last couple of days. His music had a huge impact on my life and that's he's one of my favourite Gunners. 

Freekbass seemed like a great guy.  He had some very interesting things to say and Headtronics has a very interesting concept for their shows, which sounds really cool.

I understand why you couldn't push Richard too much. You have your reputation to maintain and are getting some very interesting guests and shouldn't jeopardize that.

Who knows maybe you can get him back on the show.:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I understand why you couldn't push Richard too much. You have your reputation to maintain and are getting some very interesting guests and shouldn't jeopardize that.

Who knows maybe you can get him back on the show.:D

I felt the slightest push back when GNR came up. As I mentioned above, it was the same with Tommy. And I understand. Many of these guys have been burned by interviewers before, only asking for dirt and not what matters to the person. Their reps tell me this. It keeps them cautious until a trust is earned, which can only happen with an actual interview. So I'm grateful Tommy agreed to another. I'll talk Lemonheads and Cowboys in the Campfire with him, but I think I'll be able to ask more GNR this time too. And with the Headtronics peeps being happy, I'd feel good about another interview with Richard in the future.

• Like 1

I just want to hear some harder questions... I don't mean to bust your guests balls, but asking him about the recording of Chinese would have been fair, it's an old release now, he can definitely talk about the 14 released songs - the parts he wrote, the guitars he used, his favourite parts/songs, If he'd like to change anything he did on the album, how he liked working with Axl in the studio... same question for Bucket, Finck, Brain, Frank. Besides Slash, who has been his favourite guitar player to play beside in GNR. Also, if he'd heard Bumbles latest album with Sons of Apollo, has he seen him or had any contact since he left the band?

Maybe some of those questions are a little hot? but I'd consider them fair and shouldn't risk your chances of a follow up interview. If someone agrees to go on a podcast with this name, it's fair game to ask GNR questions, they shouldn't be upset if you discuss the subject of the entire podcast:lol: By my count you got one question in about GNR... that's a tad light :D Maybe if you know the interviewee may not want to go on too much about it, you just say "Well we're a gnr podcast so we'll talk about it a bit, but it's not going to be the focus... but you know I have to ask some questions that you can decide to answer or not" Well word it better but you get the idea :) 

Having said that, great that you're getting these interviews, hopefully this is the start of you getting more and more bigger names and gnr members. 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I just want to hear some harder questions... I don't mean to bust your guests balls, but asking him about the recording of Chinese would have been fair, it's an old release now, he can definitely talk about the 14 released songs - the parts he wrote, the guitars he used, his favourite parts/songs, If he'd like to change anything he did on the album, how he liked working with Axl in the studio... same question for Bucket, Finck, Brain, Frank. Besides Slash, who has been his favourite guitar player to play beside in GNR. Also, if he'd heard Bumbles latest album with Sons of Apollo, has he seen him or had any contact since he left the band?

Maybe some of those questions are a little hot? but I'd consider them fair and shouldn't risk your chances of a follow up interview. If someone agrees to go on a podcast with this name, it's fair game to ask GNR questions, they shouldn't be upset if you discuss the subject of the entire podcast:lol: By my count you got one question in about GNR... that's a tad light :D Maybe if you know the interviewee may not want to go on too much about it, you just say "Well we're a gnr podcast so we'll talk about it a bit, but it's not going to be the focus... but you know I have to ask some questions that you can decide to answer or not" Well word it better but you get the idea :) 

Having said that, great that you're getting these interviews, hopefully this is the start of you getting more and more bigger names and gnr members. 

Many of these guys want to discuss the present/future, it just is what it is. And while your ques are valid, I can totally see them being spun into a negative headline. TBH I think I would have gotten to harder questions if I had more time, but he had to go. He did call me early because he knew he'd run out of time, which was very nice of him.

Edited by Gambit83

28 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Many of these guys want to discuss the present/future, it just is what it is. And while your ques are valid, I can totally see them being spun into a negative headline. TBH I think I would have gotten to harder questions if I had more time, but he had to go. He did call me early because he knew he'd run out of time, which was very nice of him.

Any interaction I've had with him has been super positive! nice guy!

I do know the position you're coming from, and hey there's always next time! let's get some big headlines ;) But seriously good work, I know this must take a lot of effort to get any of this together! 

• GNFNR 1

No offence mate but I wouldn't waste my time listening to it. I'm going to call this as I see it. These guys (and girl)  love the money,  fame, and all the great stuff that come with that with some of them total attention whores, but yet you can't ask the precious pussies one f*ckin' interesting GnR related question - ever..?  Screw that. Anyone agree?  You're a great interviewer and doing a very good job, but don't tip toe around these people - if they don't have the balls to answer a few questions honestly with some semblance of transparency then F*ck em'.

It's certainly not another episode 50 (Rob Gardner), but why the pressure? It's a podcast from fans for fans and I think that not every episode can reveal huge amounts of informations. It's my favourite podcast and I always enjoy listening to it. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

''Guns N' Roses'' is like when your grandparent or somebody breaks wind and everybody, culprit and people in proximity, pretends it didn't happen. Everybody has the subject on their mind, but everybody represses the urge to mention it and it sits there, this big colossal elephant in the room, this embarrassment.  

Fortus is probably thinking, ''I hope he doesn't mention Guns. What if he mentions Guns? What will I say? Will I get in trouble with Axl if I say something? What will I do?''. Everybody else is thinking, ''we don't care about your crappy solo project. What is happening to Guns? When do you release an album? What does Atlas Shrugged sound like?''.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Guns N' Roses'' is like when your grandparent or somebody breaks wind and everybody, culprit and people in proximity, pretends it didn't happen. Everybody has the subject on their mind, but everybody represses the urge to mention it and it sits there, this big colossal elephant in the room. 

Fortus is probably thinking, ''I hope he doesn't mention Guns. What if he mentions Guns? What will I say? Will I get in trouble with Axl if I say something? What will I do?''. Everybody else is thinking, ''we don't care about your crappy solo project. What is happening to Guns? When do you release an album? What does Atlas Shrugged sound like?''.

He was probably aware of the fact that Appetite for Distortion is a podcast mainly about Guns N' Roses. He should've known that questions would be asked about that topic.