Jump to content
BadApples87

Duff discusses Seattle's Homeless Problems and Visits "The Jungle"

Recommended Posts

https://q13fox.com/2020/02/13/rock-legend-duff-mckagan-crestfallen-over-state-of-downtown-seattle/

 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/inside-the-grim-world-of-the-jungle-the-caves-sleeping-in-shifts-and-eyeball-eating-rats/

 

I live in the greater Seattle area.  The city's homeless problem is really out of control.  Same goes for Seattle's neighbor to the South, Portland OR.  There are tent cities popping up everywhere.  People camping out by the Mariners and Seahawks stadiums.  Seems to be a downward spiral for people with not a lot of options.  

-----Maybe GNR should donate a portion of their revenue from the forthcoming Seattle show to go to the homeless folks there------

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The neighbour to Seatles north, Vancouver, has a homeless crisis too.

Absolutely Duff should ante up and put his money where his mouth is. He's talking long term solutions, which are important. Also important is immediate relief.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soon said:

The neighbour to Seatles north, Vancouver, has a homeless crisis too.

Absolutely Duff should ante up and put his money where his mouth is. He's talking long term solutions, which are important. Also important is immediate relief.

Agreed on both points.  I was in Vancouver BC a couple of months ago.  The area by Rogers Arena is taking on a "Jungle" vibe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

 

I can't see this page because I'm in the UK, would someone be able to copy/paste the text of the article please? 

EDIT: Ok I accessed & read it through Tor Browser but can't do a copy/paste for some reason.

Edited by Nice Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Maybe GNR should donate a portion of their revenue from the forthcoming Seattle show to go to the homeless folks there

This +1000!

The minute they actually DO something instead of bitching about Trump on Twitter is when I might have some respect again.

Homlessness is a SHAME for any western country and it's never by free choice of those out there trying to survice. It's people who have run out of financial, physical, mental and social resources, often with a tragedy behind it. Human. Fucking. Beings. Any nation calling itself "first world" should do everything in their power to help those and not fight wars a million miles away on the other end of the world when at home there's people starving and sleeping under the bridge.

Way to go Duff, now call Axl and play a benefit show to help those people. You guys charge about 150-300 dollar per ticket these days. If at least 50% goes to those in need I might attend your shows again regardless the ever same setlist.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

This +1000!

The minute they actually DO something instead of bitching about Trump on Twitter is when I might have some respect again.

I didn't read the article but did he blame Trump? It seems that all these tent cities reside in Liberal run states.. Aside from a couple that border Mexico....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I didn't read the article but did he blame Trump? It seems that all these tent cities reside in Liberal run states.. Aside from a couple that border Mexico....

No, I was refering to Axl's tweets with my little rant. ;)

 

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I didn't read the article but did he blame Trump? It seems that all these tent cities reside in Liberal run states.. Aside from a couple that border Mexico....

Liberal run cities, I thought Seattle’s $15 minimum wage would help. 😆

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mascadcar said:

Liberal run cities, I thought Seattle’s $15 minimum wage would help. 😆

A more reasonable minimum wage helps minimum wage earners, a near totality of whom are not homeless people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened 2001 onwards? Interest rates lowered, off shoring of jobs, unfettered imigration, changes to overseas investment rules.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

This +1000!

The minute they actually DO something instead of bitching about Trump on Twitter is when I might have some respect again.

Homlessness is a SHAME for any western country and it's never by free choice of those out there trying to survice. It's people who have run out of financial, physical, mental and social resources, often with a tragedy behind it. Human. Fucking. Beings. Any nation calling itself "first world" should do everything in their power to help those and not fight wars a million miles away on the other end of the world when at home there's people starving and sleeping under the bridge.

Way to go Duff, now call Axl and play a benefit show to help those people. You guys charge about 150-300 dollar per ticket these days. If at least 50% goes to those in need I might attend your shows again regardless the ever same setlist.

Great post mate! Australia's homeless problem, while nowhere near the magnitude of America, is increasing over time and is a humanity issue that really should be dealt with over so many other issues.  

And yes, Guns n' Roses and so many other ridiculously rich entertainers, sports stars etc... are raking in tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of dollars and turn a blind eye to the suffering as long as they are accumating the wealth.  I guess we never really know if they are doing something. I remember the boys from AC/DC saying years ago they donate a very large amount to charities but do it anonymously and no-one ever knows about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Great post mate! Australia's homeless problem, while nowhere near the magnitude of America, is increasing over time and is a humanity issue that really should be dealt with over so many other issues.  

And yes, Guns n' Roses and so many other ridiculously rich entertainers, sports stars etc... are raking in tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of dollars and turn a blind eye to the suffering as long as they are accumating the wealth.  I guess we never really know if they are doing something. I remember the boys from AC/DC saying years ago they donate a very large amount to charities but do it anonymously and no-one ever knows about it. 

Yet they support the very things that create it, neo liberalism.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Great post mate! Australia's homeless problem, while nowhere near the magnitude of America, is increasing over time and is a humanity issue that really should be dealt with over so many other issues.  

And yes, Guns n' Roses and so many other ridiculously rich entertainers, sports stars etc... are raking in tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of dollars and turn a blind eye to the suffering as long as they are accumating the wealth.  I guess we never really know if they are doing something. I remember the boys from AC/DC saying years ago they donate a very large amount to charities but do it anonymously and no-one ever knows about it. 

I don’t get why people assume that someone doesn’t give to charity if they don’t shout it from the rooftops that they do.

a lot of celebrities give to charity without any attention and who’s to say that members of gnr don’t?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I don’t get why people assume that someone doesn’t give to charity if they don’t shout it from the rooftops that they do.

a lot of celebrities give to charity without any attention and who’s to say that members of gnr don’t?

You're right. And it's actually quite tricky, one hand you really might want to help but as soon as you go public about it you get a million more beggars in front of your door. If I was rich I would keep quite about any charity. On the other hand if I was famous, homelesness would be the FIRST thing I would openly address and try and use my popularity to raise awareness and better the situation.

I was actually working with homeless people for some time, spoke to them, heard their stories, brought food, meds, blankets, even needles. Didn't make much difference because there is little to no help from the government turning a blind eye on what I consider the biggest shame of western society. There's only so much an individual can do about it. Politicians should make this one of their top priorities and voters should insist on putting this on the agenda.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Agreed on both points.  I was in Vancouver BC a couple of months ago.  The area by Rogers Arena is taking on a "Jungle" vibe.

im from vancouver - the downtown east side is an absolute living nightmare that cannot be compared to another place in north america - Canada's poorest post code and right in one of the most expensive cities real estate wise in the world 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice of him to speak up.  Communities need to address this issue.  Programs addressing multiple needs have to be put in place to help people turn it around and get out of their situation and not keep bouncing back into it.  It starts with community people like Duff bringing the issue to the forefront.  He's doing more for that cause this way then an individual financial contribution ever could.  Keep talking Duff until the community comes together to address the issue.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all fine and dandy Duff but if you had split the loot equally with Izzy, he might have rejoined the band. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you all have made  good points about GnR, put up or shut up. Do a benefit to aide charities that deal with getting homeless back in society, rehabbing drug addicted homeless, med care,  Veterans etc.          It seems there are many Trump or Republicans here too. By the way, I dont care.  Dumbocrats and Repulsivcans.                       I dont get in political wars anymore.    I think this issue, like LittleM, Duff just needs to shut da fukc up. It puts him in damed if say and then damed if you don't do anything to solve the problem.

Edited by Amaya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×