Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

3 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Yeah cos he was such a good looking fat hairy prick in the 90's.

I made the same point in much nicer terms, but the post was deleted. Guess I was being too nice, but I thought we were just requested not to turn the thread into a load insults (and I don't like insulting people for their appearance to begin with).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I made the same point in much nicer terms, but the post was deleted. Guess I was being too nice, but I thought we were just requested not to turn the thread into a load insults (and I don't like insulting people for their appearance to begin with).

I like Del's pictures.  He's showing us places we may never get to.  I don't find him hard to look at, just your average guy sharing his souvenir pictures of places he's been with folks he knows.  Now if he starts giving us selfies and the fishy lips, thinking he's some super model posing for some teen magazine, we'll vote to have the guy committed.

• Like 2

It was just a silly joke, more like picking on him dictated by his past horrible literary achievements and other signs of stupidity than actually his appearance and also the fact that I haven't been following Del for all those years so it still surprises me how he has changed. Was not meant to cause a serious discussion on Mr James's looks. He looks like he looks to be honest and it's not like I care that much ;)

10 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

Good for you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cineater said:

I like Del's pictures.  He's showing us places we may never get to.  I don't find him hard to look at, just your average guy sharing his souvenir pictures of places he's been with folks he knows.  Now if he starts giving us selfies and the fishy lips, thinking he's some super model posing for some teen magazine, we'll vote to have the guy committed.

Agree ☺

I don't understand what's to hate so much about Del? :shrugs:

He must be one of the few people (if not the only) who was around in the times when they were all just a promise and has stuck around since that long. There must be a reason why Axl trusts him and keeps him by his side.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

He must be one of the few people (if not the only) who was around in the times when they were all just a promise and has stuck around since that long. There must be a reason why Axl trusts him and keeps him by his side.

I have nothing against Del but he is by every definition of the word a hanger-on.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What constitutes a hanger-on?

Well he's loyal and latched on to Axl at a time when there wasn't a lot of fame and fortune involved and has remained loyal.  Again nothing wrong with it.  But, he's just attached himself to Axl and remains there despite anything and everything that has happened.  In a way it's actually admirable.  So he "hangs-on".

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Well he's loyal and latched on to Axl at a time when there wasn't a lot of fame and fortune involved and has remained loyal.  Again nothing wrong with it.  But, he's just attached himself to Axl and remains there despite anything and everything that has happened.  In a way it's actually admirable.  So he "hangs-on".

If friendship is the main relationship between them, then I wouldn't expect less from a friend.... to remain on my side through good and evil.

I know it is hard to see because he was not only around Axl back in the day. There was the rest of the band. But it looks to me that he was always an Axl guy, despite him not having any specific beef with Slash, Duff, Izzy, etc.

Not sure the fans would have enough elements to judge what kind of opinion did he have when all hell broke loose or what did he do or didn't do to help them during the "tough" years.

It is obvious to everyone that he stuck to Axl and sided with him. He chose Guns N' Roses but I don't see how he should be blamed for taking a side, since being impartial or more objective would have put him in a weird place. The problem among the parts involved was one huge drama. No one came out unscathed from it. Even Sebastian Bach complained about it.... he said he didn't know what he was supposed to do because when he took Axl's side, the others got mad at him and when he wanted to hang out and work with Slash and Duff, Axl got mad at him.

It's a shitty situation for all people who were friends of the whole band.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

The guy is just really dumb, that's where it's coming from. All his pathethic wirting and all those shitty, patethic answers to fans' emotional problems in RIP. I still remember that, it was horrible.

12 minutes ago, Asia said:

The guy is just really dumb, that's where it's coming from. All his pathethic wirting and all those shitty, patethic answers to fans' emotional problems in RIP. I still remember that, it was horrible.

Why do you care so much? and how in the friggin' hell does he affect you so much in order to bring out so much bitterness? :shrugs:

"Dumb, pathetic, horrible".... read yourself, jesus. You are the one with a problem, not him.

25 minutes ago, Asia said:

If fans are expecting a writer at RIP to solve their problems....well, you get what you pay for.  You actually read RIP?  lol

What constitutes a hanger-on?

He is nothing and nobody without Axl. Back in 1992 or so Axl save his ass because the guy didn't pay taxes. He also hated Slash and Duff during the days of NuGN'R. Now he loves them again because Axl decided to reunite with them. So it is cool again to be friend of them. He is just another Axl yes man, like Beta and Fernando.

I guess if Axl files for bankruptcy one of these days, Del is gonna end up washing dishes at Canter's

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Padme said:

He is nothing and nobody without Axl. Back in 1992 or so Axl save his ass because the guy didn't pay taxes. He also hated Slash and Duff during the days of NuGN'R. Now he loves them again because Axl decided to reunite with them. So it is cool again to be friend of them. He is just another Axl yes man, like Beta and Fernando.

I guess if Axl files for bankruptcy one of these days, Del is gonna end up washing dishes at Canter's

What should he be? What is expected for him to be? :question:

He's just a road manager. Doesn't need to hold an engineering degree to do that. More importantly, what he does for Axl or the band does not affect the band at all by any means.

I'd understand people being pissed off at him if he was responsible for something core to the band like being the manager or one of the band members.

Axl hated on everybody and forced people around him to take sides. Now he's (apparently) back in love with the cancer and the spineless one. How about that?

If Del ends up washing dishes at Canter's.... 1) that's a decent a job, at least. Not like being a thief, drug dealer or a pimp and 2) that will be his freaking problem, not mine, not yours, not anyone else's :facepalm:

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

If fans are expecting a writer at RIP to solve their problems....well, you get what you pay for.  You actually read RIP?  lol

Yes, I did, I was 15 and it's not like there was much choice of music press in a postcommunist country in the early 90s :shrugs:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He's just a road manager. Doesn't need to hold an engineering degree to do that.

Wait... Wasn't he supposed to be one of the most reknown rock journalists, an appreciated writer and a great artist? Somethng must have gone wrong in the mean time, lol

4 minutes ago, Asia said:

Wait... Wasn't he supposed to be one of the most reknown rock journalists, an appreciated writer and a great artist? Somethng must have gone wrong in the mean time, lol

I don't know much about his history but he did write that Rolling Stone article about Axl back in 92 didn't he? I'd imagine if he's Axl's choice he'll probably co-write/shadow-write any future Axl biography.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

No, he wasn't. Where was this stated?

I also remember reading his stuff on the RIP mag, as I was a pre-teen back then but how does that lead to all this high expectations you seem to have of him? I mean... why??? Lots of people get into journalism and write for media. Yet that doesn't make all of them candidates for winning a Pulitzer in the future, lol.

59 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I don't know much about his history but he did write that Rolling Stone article about Axl back in 92 didn't he? I'd imagine if he's Axl's choice he'll probably co-write/shadow-write any future Axl biography.

No, that one was by Kim Neely.

Del James conducted the 1989 interview with Axl for Rolling Stone though and then he wrote that 3 parts article/interview for the Rip Magazine called "I, Axl". They are both really good interviews and provide a lot of insight on who Axl was back then and what he wanted to express.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stone-interview-axl-rose-19890810

• Like 1

What should he be? What is expected for him to be? :question:

He's just a road manager. Doesn't need to hold an engineering degree to do that. More importantly, what he does for Axl or the band does not affect the band at all by any means.

I'd understand people being pissed off at him if he was responsible for something core to the band like being the manager or one of the band members.

Axl hated on everybody and forced people around him to take sides. Now he's (apparently) back in love with the cancer and the spineless one. How about that?

If Del ends up washing dishes at Canter's.... 1) that's a decent a job, at least. Not like being a thief, drug dealer or a pimp and 2) that will be his freaking problem, not mine, not yours, not anyone else's :facepalm:

What I meant with the washing dishes comment is that neither Tom Jones nor Billy Joel or any other artists are gonna hire him as road manager. He can only be a road manager with Axl. He only matters because of Axl, just like TB. As for what he should be. He wanted to be some kind of Stephen King. But he fail with his Language Of Fear book.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

What I meant with the washing dishes comment is that neither Tom Jones nor Billy Joel or any other artists are gonna hire him as road manager. He can only be a road manager with Axl. He only matters because of Axl, just like TB. As for what he should be. He wanted to be some kind of Stephen King. But he fail with his Language Of Fear book.

Ahhh.... because you work with Tom Jones, Billy Joel and lots of artists and you know what's gonna be on their minds and who they are going to hire, right? :lol:

Same with the Stephen King BS. How do you know he wanted to BE Stephen King? :facepalm:

Why can't anyone else write horror without having to be compared to Stephen King? :facepalm:

Why can't there be people who want to be something else or don't be anything at all? :question:

Your assumptions are based in some irrational hatred or dislike of a person for reasons that are totally subjective and bitter. These expectations of what he should be, what he should do and how he must live are solely yours and no one elses, which makes it plain ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ahhh.... because you work with Tom Jones, Billy Joel and lots of artists and you know what's gonna be on their minds and who they are going to hire, right? :lol:

Same with the Stephen King BS. How do you know he wanted to BE Stephen King? :facepalm:

Why can't anyone else write horror without having to be compared to Stephen King? :facepalm:

Why can't there be people who want to be something else or don't be anything at all? :question:

Your assumptions are based in some irrational hatred or dislike of a person for reasons that are totally subjective and bitter. These expectations of what he should be, what he should do and how he must live are solely yours and no one elses, which makes it plain ridiculous.

Well tell me how many other artists have offered him a job.  Has he ever worked in some capacity with any other artist? 

I think it is obvious he wanted to be a writer. Didn't he write articles for R.I.P. Magazine? Why would he bother to write a book if he wanted to be a dancer, a teacher or a nurse? 

Sorry, you don't want to see the reality of the situation here

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well tell me how many other artists have offered him a job.  Has he ever worked in some capacity with any other artist? 

I think it is obvious he wanted to be a writer. Didn't he write articles for R.I.P. Magazine? Why would he bother to write a book if he wanted to be a dancer, a teacher or a nurse? 

Sorry, you don't want to see the reality of the situation here

1) How would I ever know what other job offers he had? I'm just a fan of the band.

2) Seems like he's done some work with other artists. It says so in his Wikipedia. I really don't keep track of his work aside what he does for GN'R >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_James

3) Not everybody who writes or have the ability to do it well are meant or willing to write books. There are plenty of examples in the media of journalists who write one or two books in their whole lifetime and it is just one side of their journalism work. Making a living as a full time writer is a different thing. The communications field is broad nowadays.

4) What is the situation here? LOL. There's no "situation" here. There is you and someone else assuming things about the needs and wishes of another person you don't know at all.

This is called projection.
You are like.... suffering on behalf of Del James.
You ache for him and assume he is a frustrated writer, journalist, artist because he has not taken a path you think it is what he should have done.
As you were his mother or something.
Now this is a situation. A Freudian one.

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

It seems to me that Axl in general has a horrible taste when it comes to the people he chooses to surround himself with. It's his right to be friends with whoever he wants to, but I would't draw any positive conclusions on Del's character based on the fact that Axl keeps him around.

• Like 1