~What is your favorite moment in GN'R history?~

gunsguy

- Spending time with Slash in his tour bus in Montreal. It was while he was on tour with Snakepit and Eric Dover took us on the bus

to meet him. I was disapointed by who I've met to be honest.

Why were you disapointed? :question:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the jungle - MTV VMA 1988

Axl & Tom Petty - Free fallin' and Heartbreak hotel

The Ritz 1988

Farm aid 1990

Rock in Rio 1991

MTV news report about the UYI tour kick off at Alpine Valley

Guns N' Roses with Elton John - MTV VMA 1992

Freddy Mercury tribute

Paris 1992

Werchter 1993

For me meeting the band and specifically Axl Rose was the best, hanging with him for a week on my mini tour was fucking great. Everyone involved in the band and the camp were top notch people that unfortunatly are alot of the time mis understood. These people treated me like family and I am forever grateful. rock3

Having said that this gave me fucking goosebumps, and for me to have goosebumps it has to be special. The crowd in Montreal that night was intense, the video is a mere cry of the deafining apprieciative crowd, something like I have never seen in my life at any show. It was insane and I loved it.

Going to the floor after a few songs and looking up at the sold out crowd was a very big highlight for me, everyone was on thier feet louder than anything I have ever seen. That night stood out for me.

This moment right here says it all, the crowd loud as fuck and Axl smiling truly taking it all in after all these years of not playing Montreal.

I will never forget the people I met and hung out with including Montrealer, everyone I met on the tour was fucking amazing...

Of course sleeping 40 mintues before heading to Toronto the following day was an adventure LOL...

Here is my favorite Guns moment of all time that I can share with you, for me personally: ( "of all time" rock3 )

Special thanks To Eric (admin) and to all the forum members from here and htgth that got together to enjoy the sights and sounds of GN'R that one week in Canada :thumbsup:

The best moment in GNR history, if I had to pick just one, would be the 1991 November Rain performance in St Louis, cracks me up every time Axl says "this uh, something new... and different!", it kicks so much ass to see a hard rock type band like the 1991 GNR incarnation to do something like this, totally unexpected and wonderful.

But there are tons of moments I love from the 80's and 90's, all of which are GNR's peak IMO.

Now I had some wonderful time last year but it was not "magic". The current incarnation of the band is awesome but something's missing from those shows, maybe more communication from Axl, more heart, he was always 100% in the songs, he sang awesome, but I expected more, maybe more craziness. I'm rarely 100% happy with a live show, as far as I'm concerned, I've never been totally happy with a show, except for the first time I saw Muse live, 10 years ago, when they were the kings... damn, already 10 years.

Anyway, meeting Axl was unexpected and awesome, I'm glad I didn't talk much to him, it's better not to know your idols, sometimes it's very disappointing, and I prefer to only know his singer side more than anything else. And he was the nicest person in the world at that moment so I'm glad I had the chance to meet him, it's a highlight of my life without a doubt, made my day, week and month :xmasssanta:

- first time I've heard Paradise City :P (greatest moment until now)

- when I first saw the Sweet Child O' Mine video :)

- GN'R first MTV interview, when they destroyed the room at the end :xmasssanta:

- every time I saw Steven on the drums (every time I saw him smiling :D ), the guy enjoyed so much to play

- Out To Get Me performance at the Ritz

- It's So Easy performance in Tokyo 92' rock2 , there was so much spectacle on the stage, everybody was performing so great

When i first heard Paradise city I was blown away.

Also, when November Rain video came out. that was great. I would watch MTV all day as a 12 year old waiting for that video. It was usually on about 5-6 times a day. :)

- Spending time with Slash in his tour bus in Montreal. It was while he was on tour with Snakepit and Eric Dover took us on the bus

to meet him. I was disapointed by who I've met to be honest.

Why were you disapointed? :question:

At that time, Slash was still in GN'R . I've met Eric Dover in the street and we started talking. I asked him if Slash

was around and he took me to his bus and was nice enough to let me and my friend in. Slash was there with Gilby. He was ok at first but Gilby

was being a real dick. He was nice with us but he you felt that he was just acting. It was really strange. When I've met Axl, he was really nice with

everyone that was there. Talking to everyone and taking the time to listen to what everyone has to say. I always thought that it would be the other

way around. That Slash would be really nice and Axl would be a jerk. But it turned out that it was Axl was a lot nicer to his fans!

I met Slash back in 2008, he was nothing but nice and he seemed like an honest caring guy, he signed my stuff and we had a nice conversation :thumbsup:

Anyway I don't know if I can pick just one moment that is my favorite. There are so many: The Ritz show, the 2002 VMA (a little rough vocally but I enjoyed it a lot), Chinese Democracy coming out, The performance of NR with Elton John, etc.

I was really surprised at how funny Axl was. I sort of figured he'd be nice because he has always come across as "keeping it real" in his interviews. Kind of like the Gallagher brothers from Oasis. They all get cast as dicks in the press, but that's only because they act like real people.

Edited by ITW 2012

On a personal level, it would be being at the last Hammerstein show. That was the greatest thing ever. As far as generally speaking, for all of it's warts, I'd have to say the '02 VMA's. The surprise, the anticipation, this whole idea of bringing the curtain down and unveiling to the world what Axl's been putting together over the last several years. It may not have been the greatest performance ever, but I still say that version of 'Madagascar' was friggin on FIRE and one of the best ever. The world seen Bucket. The world seen a gothed-out Finck. They seen the "monstrosity" as Axl later called it. It was just exciting.

Finally, a topic worth reading and contributing to. Nice move GunsGuy.

My greatest GNR moment/memory is definitely when I partied with Axl and a few others from GNR until 8:30 the next morning following the concert in Toronto in 2009. Out of respect for the guys I partied with and the craziness that went down I decided not to post the details. All I can say is that it was a mindblowing experience and very thankful that no one at the party ever asked who I was and how and why I was there. That and that everyone was super cool and seemed like good people. If you ever meet me in person I'll tell you the whole tale but from beginning to end it takes close to 20 minutes.

Outside my own personal encounter I would have to say two memories stick out for me. First, watching GNR's pay-per-view special from France and hearing Axl intro Welcome to the Jungle by saying "Paris France, and the rest of the world watching, do you know where the fuck you are?..." I remember being 12 years old and thinking how amazing it would be to see GNR in Paris, France. 14 years later I got to answer that question when I saw GNR play Paris in 2006. Totally awesome.

And like most people on here, the 2002 MTV performance was mindblowing, despite some performance issues. Unlike some of the younger posters on here, GNR was the band that dominated rock music in my youth, and to see the icon once again centre stage at the MTV music awards made me feel like that 12 year old kid again. Having waited nearly 10 years to see Axl in action, to see him control the helm once again was great to see. I hadn't been that excited concerning music since watching the video for November Rain for the first time.

Cheers,

Andrew

Guest Len B'stard

My Favorite moment had to be meeting Slash for the second time in 2011. Was after his show in Birmingham UK, And just got chatting after calling him saul.

Oh my fucking God!!! How cool is that?!?!?! :):) What did you say, what did he say, whats he like?!?! i don't think i could meet Slash, i rate him too much, what on earth does one say to someone that you've like, idolised since pre-teen childhood?

"uh...Mr Slash, can i call you Mr Slash, sir? I'm sorry for wasting your time sir but i had to come and talk to you because...ummmm...your music changed my life and...may i touch your guitar, please sir? i love you, i have to go now, goodbye" :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

My Favorite moment had to be meeting Slash for the second time in 2011. Was after his show in Birmingham UK, And just got chatting after calling him saul.

Oh my fucking God!!! How cool is that?!?!?! :):) What did you say, what did he say, whats he like?!?! i don't think i could meet Slash, i rate him too much, what on earth does one say to someone that you've like, idolised since pre-teen childhood?

"uh...Mr Slash, can i call you Mr Slash, sir? I'm sorry for wasting your time sir but i had to come and talk to you because...ummmm...your music changed my life and...may i touch your guitar, please sir? i love you, i have to go now, goodbye" :lol:

i would say "whoa..... you ARE real!" :xmasssanta:

i would say "whoa..... you ARE real!" :xmasssanta:

Imagine meeting Buckethead? Do you talk to him or that puppet? :rofl-lol:

:lol:

Guest Len B'stard
Imagine meeting Buckethead? Do you talk to him or that puppet?

See Buckethead i wouldn't have no problem meeting, he just seems like a big loveable nerd :lol: He behaves weird, just do it back, meeting Buckethead'd be like meeting a kid, if he can imagine an alter ego out for himself so will i. But Slash is like...he's fucking Slash for chrissakes!! I think he'd think i was a dick and want to leave my company quickly cuz there's nothing i could do but heap praise on him and...yeah, where does one go with that?

Meeting Slash to me would be like meeting...i dunno, the only people i hold in higher regard than Slash are dead :lol: Like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain or Marlon Brando or William S Burroughs, Dee Dee Ramone. Out of the living, Slash is as legendary as it gets for me. Axl i wouldn't wanna meet at all because...i dunno, Axls fine where he is for me, thats one like...myth in my head i don't wanna break by meeting him. Slash is different though, Slash is like...meeting God in good mood :lol: John Lydon too i suppose but Lydons like an ordinary bloke, a cool guy, like someone you might meet in the pub or something, Slash is like...from a totally other world to me.

In a way i guess i wouldn't wanna meet any of em for the simple reason that it'd just be more or less embarassing.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

i dunno, the only people i hold in higher regard than Slash are dead :lol: Like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain or Marlon Brando or William S Burroughs, Dee Dee Ramone.

Please never compare him to those legends....that's like bitch slapping jimi in the face for no reason

Whether you like Slash personally or not you can't sit there and deny he's carved a place for himself in the history of rock n roll guitar, just as Jimi did. On the same scale? No but it is what it is. For better or worse, Johnny Ramone, Eddie Van Halen, Johnny Thunders, Chuck Berry, Kurt Cobain, Steve Vai are all comparable to Hendrix, for the simple reason that they are iconic guitar players in rock n roll. Trust me, no one rates Hendrix higher than i do but facts are facts.

i dunno, the only people i hold in higher regard than Slash are dead :lol: Like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain or Marlon Brando or William S Burroughs, Dee Dee Ramone.

Please never compare him to those legends....that's like bitch slapping jimi in the face for no reason

There's no need to get pissy about the man's status. Come to think of it it probably kills Axl that he there, and not in some obscure coffee house playing to 20 people.

Although it's not rare that he will do something like that on a night off. Maybe a little less frequent since having a family and stuff...

Edited by moreblack

We had a quick chat about the gig and i said i like the fact you are playing songs from GNR's past for the fans. He thanked me for my comments and was also shocked i knew his real name.

He signed my ticket but i coulden't get a picture with him. He's real down to earth. Just awesome to meet him again.