Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I will be upset if RHCP doesn't get in. I don't agree with RHCP's big break being before Appetite for Destruction. I think their true break out was Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Maigk

Edit: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan was released 3 months after AFD. Their first album sucked and Freaky Styley was not that big of a hit. Not sure what the fuck that guy is talking about.

What do you mean? Anthony was just saying he was jealous of Guns' success at the time. They were all toiling in the underground scene of Los Angeles at the same time.

Oh nevermind sorry. Read that wrong. I really hope they get in though.

Wow some of these posts are ridiculous. Announce the new album while they're there. Play some songs with the current lineup. You guys are living in a fantasy world. If you don't think the Guns thats getting inducted is 1987-1993, you're crazy. Nothing after 1993 matters and they aren't going to induct 20 people into the Hall. While I see the argument for the original band, Guns N Roses isn't getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame for only 2 albums. Dizzy and Matt, who played extensively on the UYI albums, will get in as well, because they were official parts of the band during 90-93. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Some of you guys just have to think logically. And as usual, and I hate to say it but its true, its going to be all Axl's fault that they can't all share the spotlight. The others all have no reason not to be there. If anyone doesn't come, it'll be Axl, and I have a feeling he was just being nice about it in the TMS interview because that was on TV. He fucking hates Slash and unless something monumental happens before April, they will not share the stage together.

Wow some of these posts are ridiculous. Announce the new album while they're there. Play some songs with the current lineup. You guys are living in a fantasy world. If you don't think the Guns thats getting inducted is 1987-1993, you're crazy. Nothing after 1993 matters and they aren't going to induct 20 people into the Hall. While I see the argument for the original band, Guns N Roses isn't getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame for only 2 albums. Dizzy and Matt, who played extensively on the UYI albums, will get in as well, because they were official parts of the band during 90-93. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Some of you guys just have to think logically. And as usual, and I hate to say it but its true, its going to be all Axl's fault that they can't all share the spotlight. The others all have no reason not to be there. If anyone doesn't come, it'll be Axl, and I have a feeling he was just being nice about it in the TMS interview because that was on TV. He fucking hates Slash and unless something monumental happens before April, they will not share the stage together.

They inducted Robert, the bass player from Metallica before Death Magnetic comes out. I don't see why they can't induct those who worked on Chinese Democracy.

The main reason GNR are in the Hall of Fame is because of Appetite for Destruction, their best record. Matt and Dizzy are employees, not members. The original 5 will be there.

The main reason GNR are in the Hall of Fame is because of Appetite for Destruction, their best record. Matt and Dizzy are employees, not members. The original 5 will be there.

The original 5 will be there of course. But you have to realize that you don't get inducted into that place for one amazing album. If that was the case, Blind Faith would be in, as well as Derek And The Dominoes. You have to have an extensive impact and UYI is monumental to their legacy. As such, the members, even if they were hired, will get in during that time.

And while I agree about the Robert/Metallica thing, with Guns, they aren't going to induct 20, or even 10, other people in with the original band. If Axl didn't replace them all, and maybe just one or two, I'd say they have a better shot. But he reinvented the band, made it a huge cast of players, and recorded a moderately selling album with them. They won't be noticed. Now if Metallica had changed the entire band and dropped Kirk and added Robert, as well as about 5 other new members, I don't think they would have been inducted. Only James and Lars from that current lineup would have gotten in. Its a weird system, and I'm not claiming to know how it works, but there's no way they're going to induct 15 people from a band into the Hall. No one else contributed enough, at least in public eyes, to warrant getting in.

Wow. Even though I was expecting this, I'm still a bit surprised by it.

As has been reported lately, this helps bands sell a bunch of records, so I can't help but think Spring or Summer 2012 would be the perfect time for GNR to release a brand-new album.

Axl said he wasn't sure yet what they would ask him to do. It's a good question. Obviously the band will have some input as well, but I would love to know what they have in mind, and what Axl has in mind. I just hope that Axl shows some recognition of the original 5. I also hope that the ceremony recognizes the current group. I don't know how many songs bands usually play at this event (one? three? a bunch?), but if they want my advice, they should play a set with the new band (as many songs as is appropriate), then Axl makes a statement or speech recognizing the new guys and announcing the release date of a new album. Then close by blowing the roof off the ceremony with a couple of songs by the original band.

As for who goes up on stage to accept the nomination, I really don't know what the hell to think, lol. I guess they may as well get them all up there together, I suspect however that getting all parties to agree to this is not going to happen.

Wow, just wow. This has been the greatest period in Guns History now that I am old enough to appreciate them, but maybe in my entire life. The 2000's were plagued with leaks, lawsuits, everyone tearing Axl apart, his Mickey Mouse Voice during the 2002 tour, what some viewed as a "freakshow circus" of new members (I dont agree with because I feel the guys behind Axl at Rio in 2001 was the most badass band ever), constant delays, and just overall split between GNR fans.

Finally Axl has a band that many feel are the best musicians in GNR history, he is having fun, the band wants to put out new stuff, their listening to the fans especially about the setlist (Estranged, Civil War, possibly Oh My God), hints at another album, people are finally appreciating Chinese Democracy for the great album it is, and they are off on a 3 hour monster tour of the US for the first time in years. Now the media is putting Axl on the front of magazines, getting interviews with him, some are realizing CD is a great album, others are nominating them for best tour of the year.

And now, after all the shit, GNR is going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm seeing them Wednesday night, so hopefully they are in good spirits after the announcement and play some crazy shit. If I get to see Civil War or Oh My God, it would officially become my favorite GNR concert of all time.

I also hope that the ceremony recognizes the current group. I don't know how many songs bands usually play at this event (one? three? a bunch?), but if they want my advice, they should play a set with the new band (as many songs as is appropriate), then Axl makes a statement or speech recognizing the new guys and announcing the release date of a new album. Then close by blowing the roof off the ceremony with a couple of songs by the original band.

Again, I hate to point you out, but you are living in a dream world if you think there is a shot in hell of this happening. Whatever has happened in the last few years has brainwashed you into the thinking that the current lineup is as inspirational as the original group. Its not hard to decide what band members get in and who is being honored. Look at the Rolling Stones induction if you want a reference. I believe Ronnie Wood was the newest member, and in Guns case, the Ronnie would be either Matt or Dizzy. The Hall won't be looking further than that and they shouldn't. For one night only, Axl and most of the people here have to wrap their minds around the fact that this is about classic, original, 1987-1993 Guns N Roses. Nothing more. After that you can love the current lineup as much as you want, but aside from possibly being invited to the ceremony, you won't see a trace of them all night.

I also hope that the ceremony recognizes the current group. I don't know how many songs bands usually play at this event (one? three? a bunch?), but if they want my advice, they should play a set with the new band (as many songs as is appropriate), then Axl makes a statement or speech recognizing the new guys and announcing the release date of a new album. Then close by blowing the roof off the ceremony with a couple of songs by the original band.

Again, I hate to point you out, but you are living in a dream world if you think there is a shot in hell of this happening. Whatever has happened in the last few years has brainwashed you into the thinking that the current lineup is as inspirational as the original group. Its not hard to decide what band members get in and who is being honored. Look at the Rolling Stones induction if you want a reference. I believe Ronnie Wood was the newest member, and in Guns case, the Ronnie would be either Matt or Dizzy. The Hall won't be looking further than that and they shouldn't. For one night only, Axl and most of the people here have to wrap their minds around the fact that this is about classic, original, 1987-1993 Guns N Roses. Nothing more. After that you can love the current lineup as much as you want, but aside from possibly being invited to the ceremony, you won't see a trace of them all night.

Well, if you kindly re-read what I wrote, you will see that I stated what I would say if they asked for my opinion, not what is actually going to happen. That being said, if Axl does show up, the new group will be recognized on the stage in some way. There is no doubt in anybody's minds however that the reason GNR was nominated to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in the first place is predominantly because of what the band accomplished from 1987 to 1993.

He fucking hates Slash and unless something monumental happens before April, they will not share the stage together.

Yep.

slash and fergie will show up

Imagine Fergie inducting GNR. :rolleyes:

If everyone turns up, a good choice would be M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold.

Edited by The Archer

I like CD a little more than AFD (although AFD is my go-to CD whenever I'm about to hit the stage), and a lot of people on this board have this opinion.

But AFD is definitely greater and far more popular.

But again, which is better comes down to opinion. No album is factually better than the other. Otherwise, I'd get egged for thinking Skunkworks is the best album ever. :lol:

I do think 'Chinese Democracy' is better than 'The Spaghetti Incident'. :thumbsup:

You must really hate CD. I respect your opinion and would appreciate it if you respected mine. I think Chinese Democracy is a brilliant album and flowed well. I can sit through it in one listen. The Spaghetti Incident? Would have been better if the lyrics were original.

Here's my ranking

Appetite For Destruction

Chinese Democracy

Use Your Illusion II

GN'R Lies/Use Your Illusion I

The Spaghetti Incident?

If you don't like it too bad.

I think all members who worked on CD plus DJ as he will do future albums should be inducted. If not, then it would be a huge slap in the face and Axl will disown it. The Hall of Fame is a joke anyway. Why do these musicians need a Hall of Fame anyway? Just patting themselves on the back like the fucking Oscars. A goddamn meat parade.

I respect your opinion but I can't do anything if that makes me laugh. I don't think I'm being disrespectful for that. I haven't called you any names or anything. And for the record, I don't hate CD, I kind of like TWAT along with other few songs :)

As far as the RRHOF is concerned, I don't give a flying fuck. Like you said, is shit, but I think it will be legendary for the controversy about Slash and Axl and the little chance of seeing the five former members together since 1990. Tell me you are not a little bit excited about it.

Sure the new members (and now ex-members?) wrote Chinese Democracy, the album you think is better than the Illusions, but they haven't changed rock history, 'Appetite For Destruction' did and that was Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

I just think the whole thing will be a disappointment for everyone. Axl won't show up, because he doesn't care about the Hall of Fame

I never said CD was better than UYI, I just ranked it higher because the album flowed better. The Illusions, though filled with bad ass songs, were a mess.

You don't have to resort to name calling to be disrespectful. Laughing at my opinion is even more disrespectful.

Edited by BirdCatcher

The original 5 will be there of course. But you have to realize that you don't get inducted into that place for one amazing album. If that was the case, Blind Faith would be in, as well as Derek And The Dominoes. You have to have an extensive impact and UYI is monumental to their legacy. As such, the members, even if they were hired, will get in during that time.

And while I agree about the Robert/Metallica thing, with Guns, they aren't going to induct 20, or even 10, other people in with the original band. If Axl didn't replace them all, and maybe just one or two, I'd say they have a better shot. But he reinvented the band, made it a huge cast of players, and recorded a moderately selling album with them. They won't be noticed. Now if Metallica had changed the entire band and dropped Kirk and added Robert, as well as about 5 other new members, I don't think they would have been inducted. Only James and Lars from that current lineup would have gotten in. Its a weird system, and I'm not claiming to know how it works, but there's no way they're going to induct 15 people from a band into the Hall. No one else contributed enough, at least in public eyes, to warrant getting in.

Sex pistols got in for one album.

Sex pistols got in for one album.

Sex Pistols got in because of their image. Punk was less about music and more about making a point.

Edited by BirdCatcher