If AFD were to be re-released

vaida

I just want the new band to have the opportunity to prove once and for all, definitively, head-to-head that they are superior musicians.

Nostalgia is nostalgia, sure. And there's no accounting for personal tastes. But superior musicianship isn't debatable. And the re-recorded AFD would settle the dispute once and for all.

I don't even know what to say to you....you think someone who can paint the Mona Lisa better than Da Vinci is a better artist than Da Vinci? Lol....

No. But I do think there were lots of cheesy eighties production elements, like with the drums for example, that date the record. Do I thnk that the new band's version would replace it in history? No. Do I think they'd suddenly become more popular than a guy who plays with the Black Eyed Peas? No. Would I want to hear it? Yes. Do I think it would exhibit better overall, more well rounded musicianship? Yes, I do. And I'm not sorry of that offends you.

If you think Steven Adler = Lenardo Da Vinci, then my friend, you are too ridiculously obsessed with that line-up of your favorite rock band. Holy Cow, talk about being up somebody's butt. You fans of the old band can be so nuts sometimes. Put down the cassettes and step away from your childhoods...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want the new band to have the opportunity to prove once and for all, definitively, head-to-head that they are superior musicians.

Nostalgia is nostalgia, sure. And there's no accounting for personal tastes. But superior musicianship isn't debatable. And the re-recorded AFD would settle the dispute once and for all.

I don't even know what to say to you....you think someone who can paint the Mona Lisa better than Da Vinci is a better artist than Da Vinci? Lol....

No. But I do think there were lots of cheesy eighties production elements, like with the drums for example, that date the record. Do I thnk that the new band's version would replace it in history? No. Do I think they'd suddenly become more popular than a guy who plays with the Black Eyed Peas? No. Would I want to hear it? Yes. Do I think it would exhibit better overall, more well rounded musicianship? Yes, I do. And I'm not sorry of that offends you.

If you think Steven Adler = Lenardo Da Vinci, then my friend, you are too ridiculously obsessed with that line-up of your favorite rock band. Holy Cow, talk about being up somebody's butt. You fans of the old band can be so nuts sometimes. Put down the cassettes and step away from your childhoods...

Ignore my post. I've been reading some of your other posts today and don't want to bother myself with someone like you.

Have a good day :)

People talking about the record sounding "dated". Chinese Democracy sounds dated too. The drum loops on IRS and Prostitute (early 2000s) the industrial edge of Better and Shacklers Revenge (late 90s for that style of industrial) the cheesy piano songs This I Love and Street of Dreams (70s arena rock).

See, "dated" doesn't mean anything really you can't update something to current times and have it be "technically" better. It would lose all the feeling, mood, atmosphere of the original. That's something nu-gnr fans don't seem to understand. Just because Ron can run circles around Slash with sweeps and tapping and other annoying guitar tricks doesn't mean he could play Slash's relatively simple stuff better than Slash.

I'm not opposed to Axl one day re-recording and re-releasing Chinese Democracy either. I think that could be cool, just like I enjoy seeing remakes of movies and TV shows I like. Or new casts in my favorite plays.

I happen to like sweeps, tapping and other guitar tricks you think are annoying. By contrast, hearing the same three chords and the same few blues licks bores me. Am I allowed to have this opinion?

People talking about the record sounding "dated". Chinese Democracy sounds dated too. The drum loops on IRS and Prostitute (early 2000s) the industrial edge of Better and Shacklers Revenge (late 90s for that style of industrial) the cheesy piano songs This I Love and Street of Dreams (70s arena rock).

See, "dated" doesn't mean anything really you can't update something to current times and have it be "technically" better. It would lose all the feeling, mood, atmosphere of the original. That's something nu-gnr fans don't seem to understand. Just because Ron can run circles around Slash with sweeps and tapping and other annoying guitar tricks doesn't mean he could play Slash's relatively simple stuff better than Slash.

I'm not opposed to Axl one day re-recording and re-releasing Chinese Democracy either. I think that could be cool, just like I enjoy seeing remakes of movies and TV shows I like. Or new casts in my favorite plays.

I happen to like sweeps, tapping and other guitar tricks you think are annoying. By contrast, hearing the same three chords and the same few blues licks bores me. Am I allowed to have this opinion?

Did you ever see that episode of South Park where Steven Spielberg and George Lucas remake the first Indiana Jones movie?

Ya.

Also, it's fine you like the tapping and all that. I like electronic music, lots of it too. Would I (or pretty much anyone else) want some electro break-beat replacing the bongos on Mr. Brownstone? No. Would I (or pretty much anyone else) want a sweeping and tapping solo instead of the Sweet Child solo? Hell no.

No, sadly I mist have missed that episode of South Park. While I'm sure it was hilarious, I'd hate to think that my ability to enjoy music (or Axl's ability to make it) would be limited by an episode of a TV show, even one as good as South Park.

I don't like electronic music particularly, but I still wouldn't have a problem with someone performing a version of Mr. Brownstone with these "electro break-beats" of which you speak. I wouldn't have a problem with someone recording it either. It's just music. Save all your life-and-death commandments for more serious matters... like life and death, for example! Just let me and others be free to enjoy whatever we want to -- which, as far as I'm concerned anyways, could even include some finger tapping and sweeping in a version of Sweet Child O' Mine. I know it's blasphemy to suggest that anyone could ever enjoy any other guitar player's version of one of Slash's songs because you think like a cult member. So I'll promise not to force you to listen to them. Deal?

It won't sell.

I'd buy a copy. That's all I care about.

A masterpiece, which AFD is, shouldn't be re-recorded.

Agreed. It's bloody well overdue a decent remastering though.

No way. Barry Diament's mastering is superb. It's plenty loud (without clipping) and it was taken right off the master tape. If it were remastered you know they'd compress the shit out of it and turn the levels up until it crackled. No thanks. The original CD is just fine. The MoFi is good too, but there's not much difference.

Edited by artfromtex

I'd rather the nu band release their own music, for their own recognition. Not diving further into yesteryear.

Outside of the misspelling of new, I completely agree. I want something new, not something that's been on every tour they've had. There's enough good youtube videos of Appetite songs from the new band to show that these guys kick ass at the old songs.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

I have never understood the demand for this 1999 AFD. Axl said that it was used for rehearsal purposes - nothing more. Besides the SCOM '99 thing it will most likely never see the light of day. If you wanted a true representation of the band playing those songs why not just listen to the 01/02 boots? Or even the recent ones, since half the dudes who recorded in '99 aren't even in the band anymore

And it would just be insane to focus on releasing this re-recorded Appetite IMO. Not only will it not hold a candle to the original recordings (because c'mon that record is something else) but I would rather GNR focus on new material - which they will, I mean it's very clear that this thing was never intended to be released.

If they released one re-recorded song it'd be cool. Not the whole album. And not Sweet Child or Jungle, either. Something less appreciated that could be given a new life. Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, maybe an Illusion track. How about Don't Damn Me from the 21st century?

A good bonus track for CDII

If Buckethead, Robin, Brain hadn't quit, then they just might have give the re recorded AFD free as a bonus disc / special edition Chinese.

I doubt teh current line up have bother to record those tracks. I doubt it will ever happen now. If Axl ever passed away, no doubt record companies would have a field day releasing a ton of stuff.

I think most people would agree it would be interesting to hear, but completely unneeded and unnecessary. I wouldn't see a problem with a handful of tracks with the current band in the same way that Slash has put out GNR/VR songs with Myles singing. That doesn't seem to be a problem for people. But rerecording one of the most popular albums of all time with the new guys seems cheap and petty. Due to the nature of how Axl has been in the past 15 years, I can't ever expect digital EPs or tracks being put out. I think I'd rather hear it with the current guys than Bucket/Robin. I like the current versions of most of the AFD songs more than at any other point. I do miss Bucket's Nightrain solo, though.