I Pledge To Be a Better Fan

CoolRanchDressing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many see it as this, if no more two original members are playing in the band than that band has broken up. I can't think of another example when the last man standing records and tours under the same name

My knowledge of other bands is admittedly limited, but this list was forwarded to me:

Iron Maiden

Steve Harris (Murray joined two months after the band was formed)

New Riders of the Purple Sage

David Nelson

Foreigner

Mick Jones

Lemonheads

Evan Dando

Temptations

Otis Williams

Skynyrd

Gary Rossington

Beach Boys

Mike Love (Johnston not an original member)

Little Feat

Bill Payne

Motörhead

Lemmy

Smashing Pumpkins

Billy Corgan

Don't try being logical, or even factual. This is a matter of the heart, and there is no logic in the chambers of the human hear.t They love the hair metal line up of Guns N' Roses, like many do. There's no fault in that. The problem is when they feel the need to be belligerent bullies who feel that their teenaged fascination with hair metal entitles them to mock anyone who wasn't into that scene... even 30 years later. It's a pity, really. They get me mad too sometimes, but at the end of the day, I guess I just have to feel bad for people who are dedicating so much of their precious consciousness to such a futile crusade.

But whatever... I'm really happy with GNR and all that they've been doing for the fans lately. So piss on my parade, old guys....

Don't try being logical, or even factual. This is a matter of the heart, and there is no logic in the chambers of the human hear.t They love the hair metal line up of Guns N' Roses, like many do. There's no fault in that. The problem is when they feel the need to be belligerent bullies who feel that their teenaged fascination with hair metal entitles them to mock anyone who wasn't into that scene... even 30 years later. It's a pity, really. They get me mad too sometimes, but at the end of the day, I guess I just have to feel bad for people who are dedicating so much of their precious consciousness to such a futile crusade.

But whatever... I'm really happy with GNR and all that they've been doing for the fans lately. So piss on my parade, old guys....

Give them time. They're stuck in 1986 with their beepers, and Members Only jackets. It takes advanced musical minds like you, and I to comprehend the awesomeness of Scraped.

Give them time. They're stuck in 1986 with their beepers, and Members Only jackets. It takes advanced musical minds like you, and I to comprehend the awesomeness of Scraped.

Eh, they like what they like. There's certainly no harm in that, and I am not interested in changing their minds. I wish they wouldn't cop that attitude when it comes to trying to convince me and other fans that we like hair metal more than contemporary rock.

I think of it like this... you guys like smoking. You love the smell and taste of cigarettes. But don't keep blowing it in my face, especially if I've told you I'm not so into it. I promise, yet another face full of cancerous cigarette smoke will not change my mind. It will only make me think you you as a jerk.

Edited by CoolRanchDressing

Many see it as this, if no more two original members are playing in the band than that band has broken up. I can't think of another example when the last man standing records and tours under the same name

My knowledge of other bands is admittedly limited, but this list was forwarded to me:

Iron Maiden

Steve Harris (Murray joined two months after the band was formed)

New Riders of the Purple Sage

David Nelson

Foreigner

Mick Jones

Lemonheads

Evan Dando

Temptations

Otis Williams

Skynyrd

Gary Rossington

Beach Boys

Mike Love (Johnston not an original member)

Little Feat

Bill Payne

Motörhead

Lemmy

Smashing Pumpkins

Billy Corgan

Foreigner

Mick Jones owns the name, but was not a part of the tour. It's basically a tribute band.

Megadeth

Dave Mustaine

The Cure

Robert Smith

Yardbirds

McCarty and Dreja left, Jimmy Page was not an original member, but for the end of 1968, toured Led Zep under that name. They never toured as "New Yardbirds" per the memorabilia on the official lwebsite.

Maiden

I don't know if I'd count them in something like this. People left and came back, and Murray joining shortly after and hasn't left since? They're more for a lead singer debate. You could get into this with Duran Duran as well - keyboardist Nick Rhodes being the only founding member, Simon not the original singer.

Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship

Velvet Underground

Sterling Morrison

Black Sabbath

Tony Iommi

Deep Purple

Ian Paice

Whitesnake

David Coverdale

LA Guns

zero original members?

The Fall

Mark E Smith

No Doubt

No founding members, Gwen's brother formed the band, but from 1989 on have had the same lineup before the first album came out.

Thin Lizzy

No founding members

Fairport Convention

Had recorded with zero original members at one time

James Gang

Jimmy Fox

Flying Burrito Brothers

They kept the name going for years, but I think at some points, there were no original members.

Christian Death

That one got into a legal battle between two different singers,

Sisters of Mercy

Andrew Eldritch

Yes

Chris Squire. I remember Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe formed because of a band feud going on at the time over the direction of music in the late 80s, and more recently. Jon and Rick Wakeman were putting something together.

The Supremes went without Diana Ross, then Diana Ross attempted to go without Mary Wilson in a "reunion".

Moody Blues - The founding members left then came back. They had been a band under a different name as well.

ELO - You had Jeff Lynne recording and playing a Soundstage show as ELO, Bev Bevan doing ELO II.

Status Quo - Francis Rossi was a founding member, but Rick Parfitt was on Matchstick Men..

Evanescence - Amy Lee

The Animals - Eric Burdon

Judas Priest - Ian Hill. KK was a founding member.

Seriously, this is so dumb.

What is ironic is that one of the themes of Chinese Democracy is to allow people to have free speech and to form their own opinions. People should be allowed to be as critical or supportive as they would like.

Personally I love Guns N Roses and I do agree that 2011 and the tour were very positive. At the same time, I have no faith that new material will be released anytime soon and I am still bitter that 15 years of potentially great music was lost by what I believe to be Axl's narcissism, procrastination and control issues. I also loved Chinese Democracy and think Axl is brilliant. I also love Slash and would much rather see him playing lead guitar than DJ Ashba.

This pledge is an attempt to put a set of very controlling parameters around other people's expression of their opinions. It is condescending, controlling, immature and annoying.

It is also the type of thing Justin Bieber's fans might put together...grown people of the supposed "world's most dangerous band" don't make fan pledges.

F this pledge....

Here is my pledge:

I pledge to feel however the fuck I feel about GNR and reserve the right to praise or criticize them as much as I want to and anyone who tries to repress that can suck it.

Personally I love Guns N Roses and I do agree that 2011 and the tour were very positive. At the same time, I have no faith that new material will be released anytime soon and I am still bitter...

This is it in a nutshell. This is the poisonous, self-defeating, cynical, hateful attitude that I think we should strive to move past -- for the band's benefit and for our own individual growth as people. Who wants to be mired in all that negativity? Axl, for a while. But he purged it with Chinese Demcoracy and for the first time since the demise of the hair metal line-up, he seems genuinely happy. I do not think it's a coincidence that, as you say, the recent developments in the band have been positiive.

So maybe we could just all go with that feeling for a little while? See here it goes?

But if you want to cling to your proud lead armor of bitterness, I hope it protects you on the bottom of the ocean. 'Cause that's where it's leading you.

Personally I love Guns N Roses and I do agree that 2011 and the tour were very positive. At the same time, I have no faith that new material will be released anytime soon and I am still bitter...

This is it in a nutshell. This is the poisonous, self-defeating, cynical, hateful attitude that I think we should strive to move past -- for the band's benefit and for our own individual growth as people. Who wants to be mired in all that negativity? Axl, for a while. But he purged it with Chinese Demcoracy and for the first time since the demise of the hair metal line-up, he seems genuinely happy. I do not think it's a coincidence that, as you say, the recent developments in the band have been positiive.

So maybe we could just all go with that feeling for a little while? See here it goes?

But if you want to cling to your proud lead armor of bitterness, I hope it protects you on the bottom of the ocean. 'Cause that's where it's leading you.

I love how you selectively quote what I posted and left out the next part: " I also loved Chinese Democracy and think Axl is brilliant."

You really come off as a controlling fool with this bullshit about dictating how other people should feel. Trust me, I don't lose any sleep over Guns N Fucking Roses...certainly not where your ridiculous melodramatic quote about dragging me to the bottom of the ocean....

I love GNR but also find Axl to be immensely frustrating. And while I am happy he is touring and having fun, it also doesn't erase 17 years of downright goofiness....I think I reserve the right to have that opinion and I'm pretty sure it isn't ruining my life.

You should seek therapy about your deep seeded control issues and your inability to cope with the fact that other people may have different opinions than you. You go so far as to list out point by point how we are now supposed to act on a message board so that other people's opinions don't conflict with yours. Talk about immature and narcassistic...

That's what the leaders in fucking China dictate on their people....maybe you should listen to the fucking lyrics of Chinese Democracy and actually understand that tolerance of other people's opinions and allowing people ability to express them is a central theme.

How are half the people that have responded to this thread not "warned" or whatever....."suspended"? I was previously. Don't we all know that every current member is the greatest ever? Any former member is a close 2nd? Etc......

Edited by Snowmass