Is anyone else noticed...

iftheworld

I had high hopes for 2012, looks like it's just gonna be another year of nothing

Interesting. If a year where the band tours all the time, are inducted into HOF, do live streams, launches a new website, and does lots of interview while talking about hitting the studio is "nothing", then I need to ask: what do you call all the years were _literally_ nothing happened?

This is a good year. A very good year. Too bad people haven't been around long enough, or are too dense, to realize that.

Seriously, i dont know what some of the people on this forum are complaining about. GNR is not a normal band, period. That has been the case since 1995. If you dont like it, find some other band. But this whole entire thread is so ridiculously stupid, with the lone exception of Bumblefoot's health. That is a legitimate concern. But for people to come on and scrutinize a 50 year old man for gaining a little weight, when he sings his a$$ off during shows and runs and dances around, and is actually TOURING, is ludicrous. If anyone posting things in a negative fashion is 50 or older, then you must be extremely fit. If anyone posting negative comments is significantly younger than 50, then just chill out. Sorry, this band isnt like Bruce Springsteen who comes out with an albumn every 3 years or so. Deal with it.

At least Bruce isn't gasping for air every 2 minutes and respects himself. Don't turn this into him being scrutinised for being "fat". I never said he was "fat". I simply was stating if he were in better shape, we'd have better performances from him. That's the truth. That was the whole reason for this thread, his health. This thread isn't a personal attack on him. I'm genuinely worried, and if a fan can't speak up what's the point in being a fan. It's bad enough the guy has low blood pressure and low sugar.

You are right about Bruce - and dont get me wrong i have a lot of respect for Bruce. He was just the example I used because he just came out with a new album. Would you say Bruce and Axl are equally as mobile on stage? I've only seen Bruce twice and maybe my biased opinion is that Axl moves around a little more, but my wife ( big Bruce fan ) says that at this point its about even. Its a serious question, not trying to sound like a jerk or anything.

I think my issue is, people dont seem to be concerned about his health for HIM. They are concerned about his health and how its affecting YOUR show..... which are two different topics all together. Bumblefoot - we are concerned for his health and that is a serious issue. No question there. But for Axl - people are concerned that he randomly gains weight and he's out of shape and sometimes out of breath, and that it affects their enjoyment of him putting on a show for us. There arent a ton of 50 year old guys who could dance and sing for 3 hours. Obviously the argument to that is, hey, he's a professional artist and he should take care of himself. But in a lot of opinions he still puts on a really good show and gaining 10-15 lbs at that age isnt really a crime.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Are you guys serious? I actually think he's currently fitter now than he was in 2010. Here's montage of pictures taken by me with my cellphone at the Rio 2010 concert:

IDRM-1.png

Now here's some of Powerage5's more recent Ritz pictures:

Now tell me he wasn't a big bigger in 2010....

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

Well, he was pretty muscular in the early 2000 and you can see that he still packs muscle. When you get a bit of fat on you while having a muscular body it really makes you look big. He just needs a little cardio, anyway, he's fine regardless.

Axl's just a victim of kicking too much ass for a fifty year old and kicking too much ass as a 30 year old, there's no cliche interviews, his talent is ridiculous, no small talk or pointless appearances, just mystique and music (hopefully NEW stuff at some point) so because there's not that much to bitch about apart from the obvious potential and no constant whoring out in the media, every little thing is magnified. Add to this that hardcore GNR fans are a bit crazy and you get the picture.

He's still fat and I don't get why he can't lose weight. He sweats like crazy, he's always on the road (since 2009), it should be very easy for him. Maybe he doesn't care.

Of course this is not a 'Axl is fat and looks ugly' comment. If he gets fitter he would be able to deliver a better performance (yet). I know he's 50 but that doesn't matter, my grandfather is 70 years old and he looks younger and slimmer than my father. :shrugs:

Really? Are you guys serious? I actually think he's currently fitter now than he was in 2010. Here's montage of pictures taken by me with my cellphone at the Rio 2010 concert:

IDRM-1.png

cool pictures!

IDRM-1.png

cool pictures!

Thanks! :xmasssanta:

He is fater than 2010,when i saw him in RIR11 i thought " what you have done (facepalm)",i cant understand how he could gain weigh like that,and his voice was sooo fucked up,it was a total disaster.

And my opinion is that this new 2012 tour is a big mistake,they are going to tour Europe again ( 3 time last 6 years,and 2 time last 2) with almost same setlist,with a legendary singer out of shape,a singer that the media loves to kill when he fuck up shows,and if the 2010 tour in europe was constant good reviews even of media that 4 years before were saying crap about GNR,right now the reviews will be again really bad.And for me,right now they are right.

He's 50 and he's a hard 50. Dude has done every drug imaginable and drank more than a fish....although others have too and don't look too bad. I'm guessing it's alot of booze these days, hence the bloatedness/thickness and slightly fatter face/chubby cheeks. Not the end of word....but yes, Axl could drop about 20 and look much better.

Axl may have put some weight back on after the arena tour. I can't really tell to be honest- but that seems to be his pre-tour M.O. for going on a decade now. Nothing to be overly concerned about IMHO. He looks better than the vast majority of 50 year old American males- and he'll be in decent shape again by this Summer (if not earlier) with all those Euro dates ahead of him.

Now- do I wish he wouldn't use tours to get in shape but rather show up for tours already in shape? Sure. However, the guy is just clearly not the type to live on rabbit food (that's what it takes when you're 50- cardio's not enough) for the rest of his life so WE can feel good about him looking like the 28 year-old version of himself. Can't say I blame him frankly- provided he doesn't completely let himself go... I don't think he's anywhere near crossing THAT line- so it's all good IMHO.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

I don't think this kind of topic warrants any thread on here to be honest. Axl has been in and out of shape since the 2009 tour, it's nothing new. It seems like after every break Axl comes back bigger in the gut then before, then around the end he looks more in shape.

He looked very out of shape at Rio 2011, then at the LA Forum show, he looked very in shape. In the beginning of the 09 tour, he looked out of shape, then around February, he looked very in shape. Then, after the break, he looked out of shape again, and by the end of the 2010 tour he looked like he was getting into his 2006 size.

It's nothing new.

Axl's just a victim of kicking too much ass for a fifty year old and kicking too much ass as a 30 year old, there's no cliche interviews, his talent is ridiculous, no small talk or pointless appearances, just mystique and music (hopefully NEW stuff at some point) so because there's not that much to bitch about apart from the obvious potential and no constant whoring out in the media, every little thing is magnified. Add to this that hardcore GNR fans are a bit crazy and you get the picture.

THIS!

Is anyone noticed the grammar here?

I has noticed the grammar. ;)

Axl is bigger than he used to be but I attribute that to his age. Doing 3 hour shows with all that running should be enough to keep him at a steady weight, it would just be some cardio that could help with how winded he gets at times. That video example that was posted I think is more in the way he's standing that makes a "gut" stand out. Posture sometimes is the killer. In those pictures from the Ritz, when Axl is standing straight, he looks more fit than in 2010. The most important thing is that for a 50 year old guy, he still has some serious pipes and energy.

The guys probably don't get much rest when they are on tour either. Playing shows til 3 am, hanging out & partying til who knows what time. They'll probably all take a 24 hour nap when the tour is over. Axl just looks tired, imo. I don't think he looks bad at all for 50 years old. He looks better than Ozzy looked at 50. His voice is my only concern, seems to be real hit n' miss these days. When it's "on" its great, but when it's not, oh boy....

Let's do "Yo lead singa so fat" jokes.

Yo lead singa so fat, last time he wore a t-shirt with an X on it, the helicopter carrying the rest of the band tried to land on him.

Yo lead singa so fat, when he sits around the stage, he sits AROUND the stage.

Yo lead singa so fat, when he wore that yellow raincoat at RIR, people were yelling "Taxi! Taxi!".

Yo lead singa so fat, when he dances on stage, he makes the backing track skip.

-_-

Edited by username

Let's do "Yo lead singa so fat" jokes.

Yo lead singa so fat, last time he wore a t-shirt with an X on it, the helicopter carrying the rest of the band tried to land on him.

Yo lead singa so fat, when he sits around the stage, he sits AROUND the stage.

Yo lead singa so fat, when he wore that yellow raincoat at RIR, people were yelling "Taxi! Taxi!".

Yo lead singa so fat, when he dances on stage, he makes the backing track skip.

-_-

:rofl-lol: