Axl Chat's, Buckethead related

bumblecool

gunns1:

If you could work with buckethead again, would you have him just in studio, or also would you welcome him in the touring lineup?

Axl:

I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense.

Do you think they will work together again? or just a appearance like Robin and Brain?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gunns1:

If you could work with buckethead again, would you have him just in studio, or also would you welcome him in the touring lineup?

Axl:

I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense.

Do you think they will work together again? or just a appearance like Robin and Brain?

Hmmm I that means Merck was hired back in at least 2004 when bucket quit. I'm pretty sure Doug Goldstein(?) was fired after failing to cancel the Philly show in 2002 and they probably got Merck in sometime after that. I still question how there is such a disconnect between the bandmembers, management and Axl himself...

Axl should have not said what he said about Bucket at the time...

Besides, the reason why Bucket left is still pretty much here : how long it takes Axl to complete and release an album.

So, unfortunately, no, I don't think we'll ever see these two on a same stage again.

My only hope is that Axl releases some of the songs left from the CD recordings and that the Bucket parts are mostly left untouched.

There's no need for BH now they have Ron.

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that I prefer Buckethead's songwriting/music making abilities ('Soothsayer' being a case in point).

This. Also the fact that I have not heard Ron perform anything akin to the TWAT solo... Immense talent but not my kind of music.

It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck.

This says a lot and it's typical Axl. Does anybody else (yeah, I know! whatever..) think that Axl's main problem is that he doesn't communicate with his collaborators (the band basically), leaving too much power in the hands of middleman who are incompetent or have interests conflicting with Axl's? Members of the old members also said in many interviews that they barely spoke to Axl directly in the 90s and all communication would be through agents, lawyers etc. I mean, if you're gonna work with someone you gotta talk to them face to face.

I'll get shit from what I'll say, but its just my opinion..

I think TWAT's solo is overrated. There are moments when Bucket is only playing some of his classic licks. You could probably edit something quite similar by copy and pasting several of his solos in his albums.

Look, Im not saying its bad. I trully think its good and in live performances is clearly a highlight. But still isnt as good to me as his Better licks throughout the song.

Again, IMHO, Bumblefoot's solo in his song Breaking is just as good without relying so much in his own cliches.

Ron IMO is a bit better TECHNICALLY.

Bucket is better SONGWRITInG wise.

I personally prefer Ron by a bit but love some bucket also.

That's a tough one....

Buckets creativity is unmatched though.

WOW, what he did to those og solos.....WHAT!

Nah, completely disagree.

Listen to an album like Normal or Abnormal. Ron has a great sense of melody and has written many hook-laden songs that combine strong pop sensibilities alongside his incredible technical ability. BH doesn't offer that IMO.

This says a lot and it's typical Axl. Does anybody else (yeah, I know! whatever..) think that Axl's main problem is that he doesn't communicate with his collaborators (the band basically), leaving too much power in the hands of middleman who are incompetent or have interests conflicting with Axl's? Members of the old members also said in many interviews that they barely spoke to Axl directly in the 90s and all communication would be through agents, lawyers etc. I mean, if you're gonna work with someone you gotta talk to them face to face.

YES!!!!! Seriously is it so hard to say "look here is my private cell number, give me a call if you want to discuss any issues, you have joined my band and I will do everything I can to accommodate you"? But no, instead he uses intermediates who only have their paycheck to look after and all that creates is uncertainty within his own band... It's a joke really. That's probably why Bucket and Robin left. It's your band and you rely on someone else for substantial matters like why a crucial band member that carved the sound out of your magnum opus album left? Even during UYI the band hardly saw Axl in the studio and they would converse over the phone to improve songs. This only got worse when all the original members left and Axl got hold of the name.

Edited by Young_Gun

YES!!!!! Seriously is it so hard to say "look here is my private cell number, give me a call if you want to discuss any issues, you have joined my band and I will do everything I can to accommodate you"? But no, instead he uses intermediates who only have their paycheck to look after and all that creates is uncertainty within his own band... It's a joke really. That's probably why Bucket and Robin left. It's your band and you rely on someone else for substantial matters like why a crucial band member that carved the sound out of your magnum opus album left?

"Just don't call during the day. I'll be asleep."

I think TWAT's solo is overrated. There are moments when Bucket is only playing some of his classic licks. You could probably edit something quite similar by copy and pasting several of his solos in his albums.

Look, Im not saying its bad. I trully think its good and in live performances is clearly a highlight. But still isnt as good to me as his Better licks throughout the song.

Again, IMHO, Bumblefoot's solo in his song Breaking is just as good without relying so much in his own cliches.

Whilst I do love TWATs solo, I agree some fans on here overrate it.

To me, Ron is responsible for the two best solos on CD. I know a lot of fans harp on about the Brian May version, but I actually love Ron's solo on Catcher In The Rye and his shredding during the final verse (starting with "on an ordinary day...") is one of the best moments on the record.

And I love his batshit crazy solo on Shacklers. Who else could make a guitar sound like that other than Ron??

YES!!!!! Seriously is it so hard to say "look here is my private cell number, give me a call if you want to discuss any issues, you have joined my band and I will do everything I can to accommodate you"? But no, instead he uses intermediates who only have their paycheck to look after and all that creates is uncertainty within his own band... It's a joke really. That's probably why Bucket and Robin left. It's your band and you rely on someone else for substantial matters like why a crucial band member that carved the sound out of your magnum opus album left?

"Just don't call during the day. I'll be asleep."

Lolll yeh, that too. Or it's "Call Beta and she will tell me and I will call you back on a blocked number only after I have your aura read and photos of your loved ones scanned" :P

Whilst I do love TWATs solo, I agree some fans on here overrate it.

To me, Ron is responsible for the two best solos on CD. I know a lot of fans harp on about the Brian May version, but I actually love Ron's solo on Catcher In The Rye and his shredding during the final verse (starting with "on an ordinary day...") is one of the best moments on the record.

And I love his batshit crazy solo on Shacklers. Who else could make a guitar sound like that other than Ron??

I think I prefer his Scraped and Riad solos. Both really tasteful IMO.

My problem with Catcher is not his playing, but the mixing. Cant understand how they could fuck up the very ending by not adding a fade out on Bumble's guitar instead of a sudden cut. Also I kinda prefer the rhythm guitar on the demo...

It's possible Bucket could come back in the band if Bumble was unable to play, but I don't think he'd want it to be permanent. If CD didn't take as long as it did, he would prob. love being on the road with them right now and wouldn't have left.

Is it something Bucket would want to do? Doubt it. I'm sure if he talked about it, it would come down to "it was a good creative period and had fun when we were working on the songs, BUT" and "the money was good BUT.."

I think the band as it stands now could go into the studio and put out a new album before the end of the year. It would prob. be 75 percent of what's in the vault that they'd finish up, and 25 percent new ones. Axl's prob. recorded all the vocals.

Buckethead is a fantastic player and writer but he just doesn't fit in term of the visibility factor ...

Dumb to say, i know but it`s the truth ! When Guns finally returned in 2001 / 2002 everybody was like : What the fuck is that ? A circus ? A goth guy ( Robin ) and a freak with a mask ( Bucket ) ?!?!?!?!

No Offense here !! :)

This incarnation of Guns iy my favourite

Ron is such a good guitarist and he fits really well.

Only my opinion.

I would just love to hear a conversation between axl and the side show freak buckethead. To many people on this board love this man nd praise him to no end I personally think its bullshit. His style does not fit in with GnR and to me was a big fucking joke. Ron is cool he can switch his style and fits with the band. Bucket can take then knum chucks shine em up real nice and stick em right up his chicken lovin rudy poo candy ass... the rock is still hilarious

When Guns finally returned in 2001 / 2002 everybody was like : What the fuck is that ? A circus ? A goth guy ( Robin ) and a freak with a mask ( Bucket ) ?!?!?!?!

Didn't you think that was kinda cool though? Guns looked like such a spectacle back then, it was fascinating to watch.

gunns1:

Axl:

when did this conversation take place?

Ron's solos for Shackler's Revenge and Catcher in the Rye are the best because they sound like they used the least amount of Pro Tools.

Although Buckets TWAT outro was amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if that was pieced together. Ron's solos sound classic rock and roll to me.