Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

So grown ups are crying because axl doesn't want to go to a place.

Let the guy do whatever the fuck he wants, he makes music, you enjoy the music, that's it. If he doesn't want to meet slash so be it.

Does he makes you date again with your ex ??

Axl and Slash dated? Wow I didn't know they were gay. Thanx for the info.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes people get divorced, and those same people STILL get together and are civil to each other for important events such as their children's graduations, weddings,funerals, etc. Why? Because after you create something with others, you can't pretend it never existed whether it be children or music or a massive fanbase.

Axl has the right to do this, but IMO it's a huge mistake. It's so sad, fuckin' 50 years old and nothing has changed. Ironically, this decision of his proves he HASN'T moved on from his past issues. Really, really sad.

You cannot seriously compare children's need to spend holidays with both their parents with fans' need to see Axl and Slash together on television.

I for one find this divorce analogy ridiculous. They were not a couple, they were a band. Just a band. A bunch of guys playing music.

Well, the relationship part of it is not ridiculous since they were two people who had a close relationship and shared important and defining parts of their lives together and then the relationship went to hell. The "children" part of it is bullshit because no fans are emotionally damaged by not having newer YouTube clips of them together to watch.

I for one find this divorce analogy ridiculous. They were not a couple, they were a band. Just a band. A bunch of guys playing music.

Well, the relationship part of it is not ridiculous since they were two people who had a close relationship and shared important and defining parts of their lives together and then the relationship went to hell. The "children" part of it is bullshit because no fans are emotionally damaged by not having newer YouTube clips of them together to watch.

They're 50 years old... They can't even see one another for a small ceremony? But Axl is a 50 years old drama queen and always will be.

to me - that's it!!!!!!!

I'm done supporting this joke of a band, or rather fucked up show, that Axl goes around the world with for over a decade now.

I was giving him chance after chance and now - he won't even appreciate those who made him who he is!

Thanks to those who supported you and your music, bought your music and went to concert - you became a star, but it looks like over the years you forgot where you came from and how to be appreciative....

Well - lesson learned!!!!!

Officially - from now on i will never buy any music, neither go to any concert, even if the tickets were on GROUPON or even free!!!!

Fuck you Axl - you bloated, retarded fuck!

The joke here is you, people tend to use that excuse a lot, my only answer to you and them is that if you bought music you didn't like and attended concerts you didn't care for, you're an idiot!. You didn't make him who he is, WE didn't make any of them, they made themselves by working hard on writing their art and making it so well they could even expect money in exchange. It's all about the music and if they are good at entertaining you or not. Not about how nice he can be or how much he loves us all. He says "thanks for coming" at the end of every show, he doesn't need to thanks us, but he does it and it's a nice plus to the concert. If that's not enough for you, well too bad! You're only mad cause he doesn't want to show his appreciation the way you want him to do it and be real, you're not mad cause he's not going to the lame award show or cause of the letter or Axl being Axl, you're simply mad cause in reality you have never been a fan of the current band and you always seemed this "thing" as the perfect chance for a reunion, and you're pissed off because the last chance ever of seeing Slash and Axl Rose together on the same stage had just passed by. :violin:

I won't completely write off the idea of the band being together in one room, but it won't be because they're having an award show. I do think Axl will eventually talk to Slash, but it will probably be coincidence that they ran into each other or Axl just decided to call him out of the blue.

As far as the whole stardom thing goes, and "you owe us" stuff....

The only reason for GNR to reunite is for people who never got to see them in action back in the day live, and all they have to go off of are so so to decent quality videos on You Tube.

Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, I think Mike Nesmith wrote a song about that, and he's someone who didn't ride the oldies circuit with Davy, Peter, and Micky.

I'm sure Axl would love someone to be the next GNR or Nirvana and walk in his shoes, trying to deal with the things he dealt with, and not have it mess your head up. Put just one album out of great songs and be the next big thing people have been waiting over 20 years to happen.

I never thought Axl could do anything from a publicity standpoint that was good for the new band, other than go to the HOF and be a courteous inductee. But this is W. Axl Rose we are speaking about--he figured out another way, in a "real" way, to gain an amount of publicity and street credibility I thought was never possible for him or this band since 1987. In Paul McCartney (refused to go to Beatles induction), Roger Waters, and Sex Pistol's tradition, Rose gave the HOF the middle finger, and released a brilliant letter that has sparked a media feeding frenzy.

Google "Axl Rose". What do you get? 122,000,000 results (that maybe a rock n' roll record). Google "Guns n' Roses" 83,000,000 results. As Charlie Sheen said: "WINNING"!!!

Edited by GNFR2003

Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, I think Mike Nesmith wrote a song about that, and he's someone who didn't ride the oldies circuit with Davy, Peter, and Micky.

Yes he did. He even did a new album with them and toured with them

They're 50 years old... They can't even see one another for a small ceremony? But Axl is a 50 years old drama queen and always will be.

You said it. A small ceremony. What is the big deal about not attending? I bet there is hundreds of small ceremonies they could attend together but they don't get along. There were hurt feelings there and everybody is entitled of having hurt feelings. It is just a ceremony. An award show. As Duff said, music is not like sports, you don't win or lose. So what is the big deal? The hall is not "the fans". It is just the industry looking for a payday.

I'm disappointed like everybody else, but not for the same reasons as you all.

The more I get older, the more I realize why people can't accept someone like Axl Rose. It's because most of you people have been forced to execute orders all your life and take it in the ass, and do compromises. Axl never accepts compromises.

Axl is his own boss and does things his way. And he almost never goes for the conformist option that everyone would chose because he got to be his own boss very young. People have a hard time accepting that Axl has the right to do whatever he feels like doing and escape the obligations most people have.

That being said, I'm bothered by the fact that Axl seems to be on automatic pilot mode... I don't get what the current tour is about and I won't waste my money in attending the shows in Europe like I did 2 years ago because it seems completely pointless to me: no new songs, the setlist is almost the same (except estranged and civil war but these are old and often played songs in the 90's, I would be more interested in songs like TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute and Coma, and of course NEW SONGS) and there is absolutely no surprise in what's coming. We have no planning and apparently there's nothing to be expected this year musically. On top of that, I'm sorry but I expect a fucking huge diet from Axl and something to get his voice back.

Am I going to pay to see an artist who is not in top shape? Of course not. Axl's voice has been from terrible to mediocre on this 2011/2012 tour (still haven't forgotten how shitty Rock in Rio IV was) and there is no indication it's going to be better in june. Furthermore, he really should lose weight, it's part of the job, and he knows it. I'm not saying he looks bad for a 50 years old, on the contrary he looks good, but he is not credible as Axl Rose, he doesn't look like the greatest frontman ever. Singer who are not 100% slim are ridiculous (exemple: Vince Neill, completely unacceptable)

And I don't know, this letter.. full of bullcrap. Be a man and accept the award. Face Slash. Face Steven. Face those fuckers and grab your award. The Axl Rose from the 90's would have shown up, can't believe that Axl in 2012 is NOT going for such stupid reasons. Where's the rock n roll here? GO TO THE ROCK N ROLL OF FAME GODAMMIT, accept the award for your fucking great career, you should be proud and take it.

But first, get on a treadmill, stop eating bullshit and train your fucking voice for the upcoming tours. And please start practising new songs, if you're really gonna act like you want to move on and forget about the past, PLEASE STOP PLAYING THE SAME DAMN SETLIST FROM THE APPETITE AND ILLUSIONS LINEUP AND BRING ON SOME CHINESE DEMOCRACY MOTHERFUCKER!!!

The more I get older, the more I realize why people can't accept someone like Axl Rose. It's because most of you people have been forced to execute orders all your life and take it in the ass, and do compromises.

I stopped reading there. Pure nonsense bro.

Kind of off topic, but I think I understand where Axl is coming from on this issue. When other "Halls of Fame" nominate members they normally nominate individual members for their career accomplishments not entire teams for team accomplishments. Tracii Guns was one of the original members and may have contributed to some material, is he being honored with the other members of "old GNR"? They should select individual artists based on their contributions to Rock and Roll when they make nominations to the RRHOF. If they want to nominate Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steve for record sales of AFD then nominate them individually rather than nominating Guns N' Roses as a single entity. Band members are like players on sports teams, some make huge contributions to the team's success and others "ride the pine." Sometimes there's people behind the scenes (ie. songwriters) who get overlooked for their contributions. I believe nominating a band (ie. old GNR) to the RRHOF would be like nominating the Oilers to the HHOF for winning the 1985 Stanley Cup or the Cardinals to the BBHOF for winning the 2011 World Series.

When you nominate a band who had several platinum records who should get credit? The guys who wrote the songs, the guys who performed the songs on the records, the guys that performed the songs on tour to promote the records, the guys that were in the band when it formed, in the band when the first single went to #1, or the guys that are in the band now? Like it or not they are all members of Guns N' Roses and if you want to induct the band as a single entity they should all be inducted.

You said it. A small ceremony. What is the big deal about not attending? I bet there is hundreds of small ceremonies they could attend together but they don't get along. There were hurt feelings there and everybody is entitled of having hurt feelings. It is just a ceremony. An award show. As Duff said, music is not like sports, you don't win or lose. So what is the big deal? The hall is not "the fans". It is just the industry looking for a payday.

There's no big deal. Frankly it doesn't change anything in my life that Axl won't go, but I can find this ridiculous no? Because it is, so is his letter, and the fact that he doesn't want to get inducted.. oh and the fact that he's still playing the old classic too. It's laughable really.

Edited by Kapitch_77

The more I get older, the more I realize why people can't accept someone like Axl Rose. It's because most of you people have been forced to execute orders all your life and take it in the ass, and do compromises.

I stopped reading there. Pure nonsense bro.

If you really think about it, it's not. If people accept a choice or, in this case, reject it, it's because they put themselves in Axl's shoes. And given they take it in the ass, they would all have gone to the Rock n roll hall of fame, and do a cash-grab tour. It's in the genes.

Axl Rose...tough guy-

Source- people.com

She's got eyes of the bluest skies as if they thought of rain/ I hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain."

Guns N' Roses founder Axl Roseinfamous for heavy metal screeds like "Back Off Bitch"is generally not known for his love songs. But the raucous rocker's 1988 hit, "Sweet Child O' Mine," was as tender as a power ballad can get. A No. 1 single, Rose's song was written for then girlfriend Erin Everlya waiflike 22-year-old whose father, Don, had been half of rock's singing Everly Brothers. In 1990, four years after they met, Axl and Erin were married. By Everly's account, however, the couple's duet had dissolved into screams and violent discord long before they made it to the altar. In an exclusive interview with PEOPLE done before the O.J. Simpson case focused the nation on domestic violence, Everly describes a pattern of abuse frighteningly similar to the Simpsons' relationship preceding Nicole Simpson's murder. Everly says that throughout her four years with Rose, she suffered regular beatings that left her bruised, bloodied and sometimes unconscious. "You never knew what would set him off," she says.

Like other alleged batterings, the final one, meted out in Rose's West Hollywood luxury condo in November 1990, ended as abruptly as it had begun, with an argument over her cleaning of his CD collection. But this time, Everly says, she did something she'd never done before. "I didn't think I could survive mentally any longer; I was dying inside," she recalls. "At the door I turned around and said, 'I want you to look at me, because you're never going to see me again.' And he never has."

Now, four years later, however, Everly, 28, is indeed hoping to see Rose, 32, at least one more timein court. In March she filed suit in Los Angeles, charging that he had subjected her to physical and emotional abuse. Everly claims that during his frequent, unpredictable rages, Rose brandished guns, smashed her belongings and yanked telephones from the wall. At one point, she alleges, he removed all the doors inside her apartment so that he could monitor her movements. "I was afraid when he came in, when he left, when he wasn't there," she says.

Rose refused to be interviewed about Everly's accusations, but in court papers he claims that the 5'6", 104-lb. Everly provoked himRose is 5'9", 145 lbs.and that his actions were purely in self-defense. A friend, who agreed to speak for Rose anonymously, concedes that the couple "did have a combative relationship. But," she adds, "Erin portrays herself as the victim and him as the evil aggressor. From what I witnessed, she was the aggressor." Everly, in turn, denies striking Rose. "That was never my reaction, to hit somebody," she says. "I don't even spank my dogs."

Everly launched the suit after being subpoenaed in a court action by Rose's former girlfriend, model Stephanie Seymour. In that case, Rose and Seymour exchange similar charges of physical abuse (see box, page 52). Now waging legal battles on at least two fronts, Rose reportedly plans to take time off from Guns N' Roses, whose last album, The Spaghetti Incident, sold far less than its predecessors and whose fortunes appear to be fading.

Promising futures seemed to await both Axl Rose and Erin Everly when the two met at a party in L.A. in 1986. He was an unknown 24-year-old with a fledgling rock band. Everly, then a 19-year-old Los Angeles native who had moved to New York City at 16 to model for the Wilhelmina agency, quickly fell for the ambitious rocker and moved back to California lo be with him. "It was the first relationship I had hadI felt like we were two people who didn't have much but who had found each other," says Everly of the state of mind both brought to the romance. "I was looking for someone who wanted to get married, have a bunch of children and a station wagon."

Neither she nor Rose had ever had a traditional family life. By his own account, Axl and his younger siblings, Stuart and Amy, had hellish childhoods. According to Axl, he was sexually abused at 2 by his father, William, and allegedly beaten by his strict fundamentalist Christian stepfather, Steve Bailey. Axl, who believes his biological father dead and is estranged from his stepfather, has also said that anger he felt toward his mother, Sharon, contributed to his admitted misogyny. A bright but troubled student who joined the chorus and track team, Rose dropped out of his Lafayette, Ind., high school in his junior year. By 1982, when he moved to L.A. with then girlfriend Gina Siler, 17, he had been arrested four times for minor offenses and placed in a court-ordered alcohol-abuse program.

According to Siler, now 28, Rose was alternately affectionate and abusive during their relationship, which ended three years after the move to L.A. "Tumultuous is putting it mildly," Siler says. "He could be kind and loving, and at other times he was violent and irrational."

As Everly would later be, Siler was moved by Rose's accounts of his early years. "Axl told me [that] when he was a baby, his real dad went insane, and his stepdad was oppressive," she says. "I think he's always had this 'life owes me' attitude."

Everly too had endured a rocky childhood. Beset by drug problems, her father suffered a breakdown in 1963, was later hospitalized and received electroshock treatments. In 1970 he split from second wife Venetia Stevenson, a former actress (1958's Darby's Rangers), with whom he had three children: Erin, sister Stacey, now a 31-year-old California artist and brother Eden, 25 and a musician in L.A. "I never had bad memories of him," says Erin, who was 7 when her parents divorced. "I had no memories."

When Don Everly, pleading poverty, balked at paying child support, Stevenson took work as a clothing designer. In 1974 she moved the family from an upscale Studio City neighborhood to a more modest rented home in L.A., and the children transferred from the exclusive Buckley private school to public schools. A slow learner who suffered from dyslexia, Erin enjoyed being home and playing with her dolls and baby brother and, as she got older, offering emotional support to her mother. "I always felt like I had to look after her," she says. "I'm a caretaker."

She was also a magnet for Rose. After they moved in together in 1986, she continued modeling to pay the rent on their Hollywood apartment. Nights were spent accompanying him to the seedy Sunset Strip bars where he and Guns N' Roses bandmates Saul "Slash" Hudson, boyhood friend Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler (he and Stradlin left the band in the early 1990s) performed. "When you're in love, you want to be with the person every minute," she says. "My life was taking care of Axl."

And a high-maintenance task it was. Guns N' Roses hit big in 1987 with Appetite for Destructionthe biggest-selling (17 million copies) debut album in historyand Rose seemed ill-prepared to handle the pressure. He turned up late for shows and battled with police, security guards, fans and anyone who triggered his temper. Lawyers for ex-bandmate Adler claim their client saw Rose throw a woman down a flight of stairs in 1990 after she refused to have sex with him.

According to Everly, Rose was bringing his tantrums home early on. She can't recall the first time he hit her. "It's like an earthquake where after it's over you think, 'What was that?' " she says of beatings that often began over matters as trivial as stubbing his toe or being awakened by a ringing telephone. "There's so much anger in him. Maybe I was this easy person to take it out on."

As Rose's career took off, Everly's faltered. In 1987 she abruptly canceled one of her last modeling assignments, a lingerie shoot. "She told me [Rose] had dragged her from her apartment and that she had abrasions up and down her body," says her New York City modeling agent, Faith Kates. In the end, says Kates: "it was sad. She'd had this sparkle in her eye, and it was gone."

Like many domestic-violence victims, Everly protected the partner who she now says beat her. When her model friend Taryn Portman called the L.A. police after one violent episode in 1986, Erin told officers it was a false alarm. "I was really torn," Everly says. "Here was my best friend trying to protect me. But there was Axl [hiding behind the door]. My fear was bigger than you can imagine."

According to Everly, Rose had no compunction about abusing her in front of others. Her friend Heidi Rich-man, an independent TV producer, says she witnessed Rose hitting Erin at a crowded 1987 barbecue at a house in the Hollywood Hills. "He was beating her, pulling her hair," says Richman. "He was like a rabid dog.

Despite pleas from friends and her mother to leave Rose, Everly refused. "I always believed things would get better," she says. "And I felt sorry for him. I thought I could make [his early childhood suffering] all better."

On April 27,1990, says Everly, Rose, who by then had moved out of the couple's home and bought a luxury condo above Sunset Strip, showed up at her door unannounced at 4 a.m. As she tells it, he told her he had a gun in the car and that he would kill himself if she didn't marry him. On the long drive to Las Vegas, she says, he promised that he would never hit her again and never divorce her. Twenty-four hours later they look their vows at the Cupid Wedding Chapel. One month later, says Everly, Rose first threatened divorce. And two months after that, he beat her so badly she was hospitalized.

While Everly was in the hospital, he sparked a reconciliation by moving her belongings into his condo. Domestic bliss, if it ever materialized, was short-lived. By then, Everly says, she was forbidden to see her friends and Rose, who had become a wealthy man, refused to give her money or even a door key; she claims that he often locked her out, then gave her permission to return only when he felt like it. Says Everly: "I used to go into the bathroom to cry. I'd turn the water on so he couldn't hear me, because that would set him off too."

In September 1990, Everly learned that she was pregnant. "This was all I wanted," she says. "I thought it could have been a cure for Axl." If so, it didn't take: Everly says that Rose's elation quickly soured and that he threw her out of the condo and threatened to take the baby. When she miscarried in her third month, Everly had to sell her Jeep to cover medical costs. As Everly recuperated, Rose trashed the house in the Hollywood Hills they had been preparing to move into, causing $100,000 in damages.

Everly had finally had enough. In November of that yearafter suffering that last beating, she saysshe walked. "I'd lost everything," she says. "I had no more fight and no more compassion for the abuse he had gone through."

After the breakup (the marriage was annulled in January 1991), Rose continued to try to contact Everly for more than a year, she says, sending her flowers, letters and even caged birds. Everly, who received no financial settlement and camped with friends and family, sold her wedding rings for cash and in 1991 rented her own condo in the San Fernando Valley. "One day the phone rings," she says. " 'Hello, it's Axl.' I moved the next day."

In 1992 she briefly dated Donovan Leitch, son of '60s troubadour Donovan; she also began psychotherapy. Ironically, Rose too began therapy around the same time, admitting in interviews that he was manic-depressive. "I'm trying to channel my energy in more positive ways," he said in 1991, "but it doesn't always work."

Last year, Everly began seeing actor David Arquette, 22, brother of actresses Rosanna and Patricia. At first Everly was so skittish she'd flinch if Arquette moved suddenly. "I don't know how many times I've had to tell her, 'I'm not going to hit you,' " he says.

Although Arquette encouraged her "to stand up and talk about" her ordeal, it wasn't until Seymour's lawyers subpoenaed Everly to testify about her experiences with Rose that Everly began to feel she was a victim. "She [thought], 'It was my fault; he's not abusing Stephanie,' " recalls Taryn Portman. "So when [that] case became public, that did a lot of healing."

Rose's camp believes Everly is pressing the suit for monetary gain, but Erin, who lives in L.A. with support from family members, insists she merely wants to put the traumatic relationship with Rose behind her. And though Arquette, now her steady, contends that Everly still fears Rose, she asserts that she no longer feels helpless. "It's not a matter of winning or losing," she says of the suit, which her lawyer hopes will be heard within the year. "I would like to give [Rose] back this pain. It doesn't have to be my burden anymore."

Edited by Snowmass

My goodness, now NPR is doing a story....Axl is not usually on All Things Considered. They are saying Axl's letter is very mild mannered compared to Paul McCartney's refusal to show or Roger Waters. Closing the segment with November Rain! They were very positive about it! Folks forget, Paul frickin McCartney turned down the HOF...Axl has just done it in a "winning" way, by getting 122,000,000 hits on GOOGLE....nothing says "Real" or "Rock n' Roll" more than giving a middle finger to the establishment! Way to go Axl--live your life on your own terms, and don't let anyone else tell you what or how you need to do it!

Bullshit and Theories aside.. Let's cut to the core of why Axls not showing..

He's a coward..

Not because he's a "true rock star" he can make up every excuse under the sun as to why he won't show.. And hes proven time after time that he gives so many bullshit reasons for everything.. He is the master of self sabotage.. Anyways.. Axl wouldn't know what to Do with a vr track.. Or a new gnr track.. He's had his day.. Let Dying dogs die! Bah!

It's not about quantity. It's about quality. Name a rock record better than Chinese Democracy during the last 5 years if you can.

So as a fan, you are happy getting one album from Axl every 15 years?

As a fan, you think Axl releasing on album in the last 15 years has been the best career move possible? Quality over quantity.

As a fan, you don't think Axl has the ability to release more than one song a year?

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

I think Axl is talented enough to release a quality album every 3-5 years.

And I think it would have made more career sense for GnR (or any great band) to release more music than one album every 15 years. Especially in this specific case. Axl wants to distance this band from the original/classic line-up......and he is choosing to do that by having the new guys extensively tour the old guy's catalog of songs? I'm not a professional music manager, but seems like the current band releasing their own music, and being able to tour their own songs and not live off of the old guy's work, would be the best way to distance the current group from the classic group.

Yes they do. The difference is that most of them don't hang on to their hatred, while being completely incapable of explaining why they are so full of hate, even after 20 years have passed.

I love the Monkees, and us Monkees fans don't have to worry about "what might have been" or "why didn't they just talk once" now that one of them has passed away.

monkees.jpg

monkees2.gif