Guns N’ Roses Guitarist DJ Ashba Reveals His Tortured Childhood

gunsguy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor DJ! I am glad he has a good friend like Axl to talk to.

People are making fun of DJ because he was abused as a child?

What in the blue hell is wrong with you people? This isn't anything to laugh about.

That is sad to happen to any child.

This is nothing to be taken lightly or made fun of!!!!!

I grew up in a home with my mother and father and I was the oldest child and heard and seen my mother beaten and told if she left him he would kill her or us or all of us.

I also got my fair share of beatings some where deserved but not the severe way it was done. I was beat black and blue from the middle of my back to the my knees countless times.

I grow up and still do feel responsable for lettiing my father do what he did to my mother, I still to this day think I could have done something and it hurts still.

I never heard my younger brother or sister get beatings only me and my mother did.

And what is so weird or sick or whatever you want to call it about this I still am seeking my fathers approval to this day, I am not talking about asking him if I should do things one way or another, I am talking about him accepting me for who I am as an adult. You think about it I should have nothing to do with him yet I am stuck. Even though he done all those bad things back then he is a different person now, still is an ass but different. Which adds to the guilt I feel because if he is that way now way wasn't he back then and blame myselt.

I was blessed (not really) at birth with Bipolar, OCD, and a few other things. But he gave me the worst of all of it which post tramtic stress disorder. It just feeds everything else. I feel like I am still a teenager when I relive everything from back then it is like it is happening now and then all my other shit just takes over my life for days, weeks or months at a time. It sucks!!!

I have never beat or hit my wife of 20 years, My wife and I have given our kids spankings for somethings but never left a bruise, and they ALWAYS needed it. Not because we can, I hated doing it but I beleive spankings are a go disapline tool if used correctly after other means have been exhausted. SOme see this as wrong but I know the difference in a beating and a spanking.

My heart goes out to anyone that has and is going through this.

This is nothing to be taken lightly or made fun of!!!!!

I grew up in a home with my mother and father and I was the oldest child and heard and seen my mother beaten and told if she left him he would kill her or us or all of us.

I also got my fair share of beatings some where deserved but not the severe way it was done. I was beat black and blue from the middle of my back to the my knees countless times.

I grow up and still do feel responsable for lettiing my father do what he did to my mother, I still to this day think I could have done something and it hurts still.

I never heard my younger brother or sister get beatings only me and my mother did.

And what is so weird or sick or whatever you want to call it about this I still am seeking my fathers approval to this day, I am not talking about asking him if I should do things one way or another, I am talking about him accepting me for who I am as an adult. You think about it I should have nothing to do with him yet I am stuck. Even though he done all those bad things back then he is a different person now, still is an ass but different. Which adds to the guilt I feel because if he is that way now way wasn't he back then and blame myselt.

I was blessed (not really) at birth with Bipolar, OCD, and a few other things. But he gave me the worst of all of it which post tramtic stress disorder. It just feeds everything else. I feel like I am still a teenager when I relive everything from back then it is like it is happening now and then all my other shit just takes over my life for days, weeks or months at a time. It sucks!!!

I have never beat or hit my wife of 20 years, My wife and I have given our kids spankings for somethings but never left a bruise, and they ALWAYS needed it. Not because we can, I hated doing it but I beleive spankings are a go disapline tool if used correctly after other means have been exhausted. SOme see this as wrong but I know the difference in a beating and a spanking.

My heart goes out to anyone that has and is going through this.

im so sorry that happend to you and your mother :(

Not to condone child abuse,but have you ever thought that the abuser may have been abused as a child also?Happens a lot of the time.And it is something that has to be faced/asked when confronting the person doing the abusing now.And KUDOS to bigcountry for not falling into the same thing.

Edited by SweetRose

Anyone who has endured a childhood of physical and verbal abuse do not deserve to be belittled because of it.

It's only recently,relatively speaking,that authorities have come down on child abuse,and kids that grew up in the 60'-80's had no clue to call and report it to any authorities,thinking everyone lived like that only to find out years later that it is fucking dysfunctional.

I endured a variety of bruises,welts,black eyes,got slapped around for no real reason.It leaves an imprint in your brain long after the physical damage heals.

I have to say, the shockingly dismissive tone with which some posters have discussed child abuse in this thread is sickening. Such people have already made it amply clear that they dislike DJ. But to turn this thread into a hate-fest about a "hired hand" shows the ridiculous levels to which hate can be taken, to the point that you cant even remember that the person you're talking about is, at the end of the day, just a human being like you. Not everything is a death match between the old and new line-ups and you don't need to be everyone's beloved star to have a story that can uplift people, if only for a minute.

DJ doesnt have to be my "friend" for me to see that its a messed up situation for a child to feel mortally afraid of his own father. I think its fantastic that he has turned out such a positive person. Children who have experienced abuse are statistically more likely to suffer long term health problems and social adjustment issues and they often get locked into self-destructive patterns in life. DJ is a positive story of somebody who didnt let his scars drag him down. I dont understand how that can be spat upon.

One of the best posts ever, anywhere. Thank you.

Really disappointing to see it has come to the point some people here are actually bashing/criticizing DJ Ashba for sharing his childhood problems in a site dedicate to support those who suffer from Bullying. Some people here are worthless human beings.

I have to say, I am surprised at the reaction. I am not a fan of DJ Ashba in the least, but I feel compassion for what he had to grow up with. NO child should ever have to go through something like that. Hopefully by telling his story it will help someone else.

Absolutely and anyone with half a heart would agree. Child abusers are easily the biggest cowards amongst us.

Props to him for telling his story when bullying is such a hot, deserving topic....

Now I can see why Axl likes him. They have a common past.

In my experience child abuse is nothing to laugh about. It is the most fucked up feeling that someone you depend on for protection and guidance turns you into a punching bag, physically and verbally. You just feel like shit, I admire

Ashba how well he turned out.

Nice Words Dude. DJ sounds like a lovely guy, those that despise the man are just plain stupid pricks...

Even I think that DJ is a little bit too much of a rock star posing businessman, I think he is a nice guy and it should be appreciated if he decides to support a social project! Also I always thought that there must be something that truely connects Axl and DJ more than the others. Maybe we found out now!

Props to DJ for supporting a good cause, more celebs need to step up and do something. And damn there are a bunch of negative douche bags on this forum, I dont get it why the fk do you cupcake these boards and speak out of your ass about everything that doesnt include ex members? If you dont like todays incarnation of GNR why waste your time here?

I'm going to be diplomatic and not comment on this subject. Only Ashba knows the extent of the abuse and what remnants are left over. Child abuse is never a laughing matter so if you must bash on him, bash his playing, guitar collection, lack of knowledge regarding said guitars, etc etc.

I have to say, the shockingly dismissive tone with which some posters have discussed child abuse in this thread is sickening. Such people have already made it amply clear that they dislike DJ. But to turn this thread into a hate-fest about a "hired hand" shows the ridiculous levels to which hate can be taken, to the point that you cant even remember that the person you're talking about is, at the end of the day, just a human being like you. Not everything is a death match between the old and new line-ups and you don't need to be everyone's beloved star to have a story that can uplift people, if only for a minute.

DJ doesnt have to be my "friend" for me to see that its a messed up situation for a child to feel mortally afraid of his own father. I think its fantastic that he has turned out such a positive person. Children who have experienced abuse are statistically more likely to suffer long term health problems and social adjustment issues and they often get locked into self-destructive patterns in life. DJ is a positive story of somebody who didnt let his scars drag him down. I dont understand how that can be spat upon.

One of the best posts ever, anywhere. Thank you.

Thank you, SoulMonster.

*yawn* every rock star was beat up and touched as a child. I'm sure the millions of dollars, woman and fame help to seal those wounds quick enough.

Basic Human Empathy Fail. Gtfo

you are aware that there are thousands of little boys being beaten up or even raped as we speak right? and you are showing no empathy to them. hypocrisy. just caring because you know who the person is. i hate this kind of people.

"No, you're a dick, and that's all."

Quoted for truth, you pathetic idiot

Best reply ever. But unfortunately I am not surprised at people´s reactions here :(

Best reply ever. But unfortunately I am not surprised at people´s reactions here :(

Subterranean Septic minds,very toxic atmosphere up in here.

DJ Ash was picked on by his dad. Dizzy Reed had it worse, Dizzy Reed was picked on at school, apparently.

Dizzy had it easy compared to Axl who was raped, and had a second attempted rape on him some years later.

Edited by vaida

DJ Ash was picked on by his dad. Dizzy Reed had it worse, Dizzy Reed was picked on at school, apparently.

Dizzy had it easy compared to Axl who was raped, and had a second attempted rape on him some years later.

I think being picked on by your own dad is worse than in school, don't you?

*yawn* every rock star was beat up and touched as a child. I'm sure the millions of dollars, woman and fame help to seal those wounds quick enough.

Basic Human Empathy Fail. Gtfo

you are aware that there are thousands of little boys being beaten up or even raped as we speak right? and you are showing no empathy to them. hypocrisy. just caring because you know who the person is. i hate this kind of people.

this