Axl Apologizes to Cleveland but Stands Firm!

AxlCorp

Media reactions staring to roll in:

AXL ROSE THANKS FANS FOR SUPPORT IN NEW LETTER

Axl Rose has apparently posted a new letter to fans thanking them for their support in the wake of his decision not to attend Guns N’ Roses induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this past Saturday (April 14). The letter, posted earlier today (April 17) on the singer’s official Twitter page, seems to mix sarcasm with genuine feelings of gratitude.

Prior to the Rock Hall ceremony, Rose posted a lengthy open letter stating that he would not attend the event and, moreover, that he would like his induction retracted. The ceremony went on with classic GN’R members Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler and others performing three ‘Appetite for Destruction’ hits with singer Myles Kennedy.

Now, Rose is thanking his fans for their support in this new letter, while still taking jabs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame itself. The letter also goes on to detail an encounter with a homeless woman, in which she specifically requested soup. Without further ado, as requested by Mr. Rose himself, here is the full letter in its entirety below: ......................

http://loudwire.com/axl-rose-thanks-fans-for-support-in-new-letter/

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acting like a grown up only means compromising your integrity, beliefs, putting on a nice suit, shaking hands with people you despise and paying $3000 for the privilege in the world of investment banking, not in rock and roll. It may just be that Axl Rose became a rock star because he wanted to tread his own path somewhat.

Well if treading your own path means treading on the people who put you where you are then I guess you could say that. Most people would just call that being selfish and juvenile. :shrugs:

Axl has got by on his talent, chiefly his vocals, songwriting and charisma as a frontman and still sells tickets on that basis. Slash is a great guitarist and is recognized as one of the best in the world. He sells tickets on that basis. Neither of them owe their talents to the other. If Axl couldn't sing tomorrow or Slash couldn't play tomorrow, it'd be over for them. Like Axl OR Slash have to pay homage to Adler for 'putting him where he is'. Get real. Axl pays homage to Slash every night when he goes out and sings to the riffs he created. Slash pays homage to Axl every night when he plays guitar behind a singer belting out those awesome lyrics. This is what music is about, not the old farts hall of fame.

Axl is no outlaw. Despite what he might like to think. The reality is that he is a coward, all talk and no action.

It takes guts to go against the wishes of the teeming hordes, dude. Most people seek safety in numbers.

And some seek it by running away and hiding.

Choosing not to pay 3 grand to attend an event to shake hands with people you don't like is not running away and hiding.

If that's ALL this event was about, you might have had a point.

What the event is "about" is different in different people's eyes. There's no unanimous agreement on this issue.

Funny story just happened in my driveway. (She knows I am a fan) I just got out of my car and the lady next door is there she says "Justin! That Axl Rose guy is all over the news about the Hall Of Fame thing" I replied yes, she response "Good for him, I like a guy like that!" I was like huh? She said she likes a man who can stand up for what he believes in or something to that effect. She is my neighbor and cannot name one GNR tune, yet with all the events this week she mentions Axl Rose, I thought is was funny myself.

SO with all the guys jamming and such Axl still is relevant to people, even non fans.

BTW she is in her 60's.

Edited by gunsguy

I don't know why he's apologizing to Cleveland fans when a large number of fans paid thousands of dollars to fly to Cleveland for the ceremony.

Those are the fans I feel the worst for.

So do I, but only because they have such bulging wallets and such meager minds that they're incapable of understanding what the phrase 'no reunion' means.

Does he even know that Cleveland booed at the very hint of his name

Exactly which overwelming positive reactions is he talking about? He good slashed at Gn'R forums, media outlets and at the ceremony...

And again, even in this letter he can't say even say a single word about the old members; he even can't say 'congratulations to Slash, Duff, Steve and Matt for being inducted etc.'

Is that so hard?

He did say 'congratulations to the other artists who were inducted'. Don't you consider Slash, Duff, Steve and Matt to be artists?

That is how I took it :shrugs:

Axl is no outlaw. Despite what he might like to think. The reality is that he is a coward, all talk and no action.

It takes guts to go against the wishes of the teeming hordes, dude. Most people seek safety in numbers.

Choosing not to pay 3 grand to attend an event to shake hands with people you don't like is not running away and hiding.

By all means, enlighten me.

Who actually gives a shit what it's all about and the intricate details? Turn up, eat, drink, be civil, accept your award and sing a couple of songs! Done! That's all there was to it without getting into all this other shit.

No, no, no! That's not what the most dangerous band in the world is supposed to do! Turn up, don't eat, drink, don't be civil, accept your award, sing a half of a song, pass out. Now we're talking! :lol:

The thing I genuinely can't understand is some of the people calling out Slash for bringing Myles along. I mean what was the alternative if they were going to perform seriously?

I've heard there were the biggest GN'R fans in the audience. If anything, they could've let them all do the singing. Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Lame attempt at damage control from the "camp" and proof positive that they keep Axl in a bubble of misinformative. At least I hope it is that because otherwise it only confirms that he has lost his fuckin marbles. His own facebook page should be enough for him to gauge the vicious backlash against his decision

yup....he lives in a bubble

I'll say one last time, Axl was probably surprised there was any positive response to him turning them down and is glad that a portion of the fanbase and the media actually supported him.

Exactly. And there are fans outside this forum, believe it or not. Just because the majority here hates him doesn't mean it's the case everywhere else. I certainly saw a fair amount of people supporting his decision which I had not expected cause I thought everyone would hate him for it (which Axl probably did too) so I was surprised. I saw many tweets to him telling him how people backed him up and that's probably what he's referring to.

I would bet all of my wife's money that no one on this forum hates Axl. A lot of people think he often acts like an asshole and makes bad decisions, but most people I have come across here who critisise Axl are the ones that deep down like him the most. Its because we love the guy and his potential that its so painful to watch him put himself in positions where people have no option but to call him out on his behavior just like they would anyone else in any walk of life.

There's always an option when it comes to deciding whether or not to be a gobshite. If you respect an artist you think 'well, I don't understand why he's doing this, but he's got his own ideas and his own scruples and his own brain - and that's what made me love his work in the first place'. If you're a gobshite you think 'well, I loved all those songs that came out of that brain, but now he's getting it all wrong because he's not doing what I would do'. Ah, there's the rub. You didn't write those songs. You don't sing like that. He's Axl Rose, and you're not.

By that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done because actually every living person has their "own scruples and our own brain". Stop trying to create an argument out of nothing. What I said was fine.

What the fuck is a scruple by the way?

Buy a dictionary or learn to use google, I'm not your mom.

As for 'by that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done' - don't talk such utter shit, read what people actually wrote. 'If you respect an artist', brain trust, I may have said that for a reason. Are you really that stupid or is this some sort of weird novelty act?

Im sorry you have lost me now. What did you mean in the highlighted part? I understand if English isnt your first language (i cant speak ANY other language so more power to you for trying, I respect you for that :thumbsup: )I will try my hardest to understand you but I need you to clarify that highlighted part before I can answer it or respond to it.

We got her the soup. You can get your own.

"Soup is good food-(We don't need you any more)

You made a good meal-(We don't need you any more)

Now how do you feel-(We don't need you any more)

To be shit out our ass

And thrown in the cold like a piece of trash

We're sorry

You'll just have to leave"

'Soup is Good Food' - Dead Kennedys

What the event is "about" is different in different people's eyes. There's no unanimous agreement on this issue.

People aren't viewing it differently, people are making excuses.

Funny story just happened in my driveway. (She knows I am a fan) I just got out of my car and the lady next door is there she says "Justin! That Axl Rose guy is all over the news about the Hall Of Fame thing" I replied yes, she response "Good for him, I like a guy like that!" I was like huh? She said she likes a man who can stand up for what he believes in or something to that effect. She is my neighbor and cannot name one GNR tune, yet with all the events this week she mentions Axl Rose, I thought is was funny myself.

SO with all the guys jamming and such Axl still is relevant to people, even non fans.

BTW she is in her 60's.

Dementia is a terrible illness.

Axl has got by on his talent, chiefly his vocals, songwriting and charisma as a frontman and still sells tickets on that basis. Slash is a great guitarist and is recognized as one of the best in the world. He sells tickets on that basis.

Well that's really not true any more is it? Axl sells tickets based on those aspects but under the Guns n' Roses name. Slash regardless of what people may think of him isn't trading on the GnR name any more and has made a success of himself on his own merit without relying on the legacy of a band that died nearly 20 years ago.

I disagree. Slash is more often than not referred to in press, media and so on - and is chiefly known for - being the ex-GNR guitarist. If you ask most people to name a Snakepit song they couldn't. If you ask them to name one off his last album they couldn't. A VR song? Maybe one. Not that that denigrates his recent work - the fact is rock music used to get more airplay and be a lot more in the public consciousness than it is now. My point is that they both STILL sell tickets because they both have the majority of their skills intact. If Axl couldn't sing and perform or Slash couldn't play, people wouldn't pay to see them. The name issue is irrelevant. People who pay to see a Guns N' Roses show in 2012 know Slash isn't there. People who pay to see a Slash or VR concert know Axl isn't there. They are responsible for their own talents and their own ongoing appeal.

People aren't viewing it differently, people are making excuses.

Again, excuses for what? A guy didn't want to go somewhere, so he didn't go. What needs excusing?

I'll say one last time, Axl was probably surprised there was any positive response to him turning them down and is glad that a portion of the fanbase and the media actually supported him.

Exactly. And there are fans outside this forum, believe it or not. Just because the majority here hates him doesn't mean it's the case everywhere else. I certainly saw a fair amount of people supporting his decision which I had not expected cause I thought everyone would hate him for it (which Axl probably did too) so I was surprised. I saw many tweets to him telling him how people backed him up and that's probably what he's referring to.

I would bet all of my wife's money that no one on this forum hates Axl. A lot of people think he often acts like an asshole and makes bad decisions, but most people I have come across here who critisise Axl are the ones that deep down like him the most. Its because we love the guy and his potential that its so painful to watch him put himself in positions where people have no option but to call him out on his behavior just like they would anyone else in any walk of life.

There's always an option when it comes to deciding whether or not to be a gobshite. If you respect an artist you think 'well, I don't understand why he's doing this, but he's got his own ideas and his own scruples and his own brain - and that's what made me love his work in the first place'. If you're a gobshite you think 'well, I loved all those songs that came out of that brain, but now he's getting it all wrong because he's not doing what I would do'. Ah, there's the rub. You didn't write those songs. You don't sing like that. He's Axl Rose, and you're not.

By that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done because actually every living person has their "own scruples and our own brain". Stop trying to create an argument out of nothing. What I said was fine.

What the fuck is a scruple by the way?

Buy a dictionary or learn to use google, I'm not your mom.

As for 'by that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done' - don't talk such utter shit, read what people actually wrote. 'If you respect an artist', brain trust, I may have said that for a reason. Are you really that stupid or is this some sort of weird novelty act?

Im sorry you have lost me now. What did you mean in the highlighted part? I understand if English isnt your first language (i cant speak ANY other language so more power to you for trying, I respect you for that :thumbsup: )I will try my hardest to understand you but I need you to clarify that highlighted part before I can answer it or respond to it.

I'm the one speaking English, you're the one trying and on the basis of these posts, failing. I hope 'facepalm' is a part of your vocab.

Lame attempt at damage control from the "camp" and proof positive that they keep Axl in a bubble of misinformative. At least I hope it is that because otherwise it only confirms that he has lost his fuckin marbles. His own facebook page should be enough for him to gauge the vicious backlash against his decision

Wow, that was uncomfortable.

This letter comes across like an uncle with Alzheimers. Just kind of random rambling. It was a nice gesture to thank his supporters, I won't even get on him for wanting to believe it was overwhelmingly positive, but he goes off on these tangents, from questioning the finances of the HOF (seriously, wtf), to apologizing to an entire city (was there some outcry from the 400,000 residents that we somehow missed), to an analogy about pizza and soup (I gather some of us are homeless women in his eyes). He just seems so unrelatable, like he's living his own reality and the rest of the world is living another.

He was questioning the point of the Hall overall, where its money goes, among other things quite possibly because he wanted to understand the scope of it before forming a judgement, as he said. There are lots of questions about the Hall, its purpose and how it functions. Axl isn't the first person to raise questions about this HOF and he won't be the last. I don't see what is so confusing or bewildering about that :shrugs: I think it's pretty obvious why he was apologizing to the City of Cleveland, given that the event was held there and there could have been a fair number of residents from Cleveland and surrounding area. The analogy was a pretty clear point about having a misguided sense of entitlement, much like saying "life doesn't owe you a happy ending". Again, doesn't seem to difficult to comprehend. Then again, if and when you have an existing view of disdain towards the person in question, it makes sense that their words would be viewed as being unrelatable.

Ali

Excellent statement.

Rock on Axl!!!

There you go! Now I really hope people stop bashing Axl for not attending the HOF, but then again, it probably will start again on May 5 when HBO airs it!

I support Axl. It was his decision and first and foremost you have to do what you think is right, no matter how many people will disagree or agree with you.

I admire his courage and his finding out all he could about the Hall of Fame before making up his mind. I doubt any other artists have done that.

Many amazing musicians have never been inducted into the Hall of Fame and it doesn't bother them one bit. They have their fans who love and support them and I think that's what matters most.

The name issue is irrelevant.

Do you honestly 100% believe that Axl would sell exactly the same amount of tickets if he was to drop the Guns n' Roses name? Seriously?

You're editing my post out of context since I said the name issue was irrelevant in reference to a post about whether the old guys were responsible for where Axl (or Slash) 'are today', but anyway...

Dropping the GNR name at this point would be a symbolic move likely meaning he was ditching the old GNR catalog and sound, so in that case no.

If you mean if say, when Slash had left the band if he'd dropped the GNR name immediately and was now going out on tour with the same current GNR lineup but billed as 'Axl Rose' or 'Axl Rose and friends', then no, not significantly different. I'm sure he could still sell out Manchester Arena, for instance. Most people who go to a 2012 GNR show go because they know they're going to hear Axl Rose singing those songs. As long as people knew they were getting that, I doubt there'd be a vast difference.

Edited by tomfriend