Axl Apologizes to Cleveland but Stands Firm!

AxlCorp

I'll say one last time, Axl was probably surprised there was any positive response to him turning them down and is glad that a portion of the fanbase and the media actually supported him.

Exactly. And there are fans outside this forum, believe it or not. Just because the majority here hates him doesn't mean it's the case everywhere else. I certainly saw a fair amount of people supporting his decision which I had not expected cause I thought everyone would hate him for it (which Axl probably did too) so I was surprised. I saw many tweets to him telling him how people backed him up and that's probably what he's referring to.

I would bet all of my wife's money that no one on this forum hates Axl. A lot of people think he often acts like an asshole and makes bad decisions, but most people I have come across here who critisise Axl are the ones that deep down like him the most. Its because we love the guy and his potential that its so painful to watch him put himself in positions where people have no option but to call him out on his behavior just like they would anyone else in any walk of life.

There's always an option when it comes to deciding whether or not to be a gobshite. If you respect an artist you think 'well, I don't understand why he's doing this, but he's got his own ideas and his own scruples and his own brain - and that's what made me love his work in the first place'. If you're a gobshite you think 'well, I loved all those songs that came out of that brain, but now he's getting it all wrong because he's not doing what I would do'. Ah, there's the rub. You didn't write those songs. You don't sing like that. He's Axl Rose, and you're not.

By that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done because actually every living person has their "own scruples and our own brain". Stop trying to create an argument out of nothing. What I said was fine.

What the fuck is a scruple by the way?

Buy a dictionary or learn to use google, I'm not your mom.

As for 'by that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done' - don't talk such utter shit, read what people actually wrote. 'If you respect an artist', brain trust, I may have said that for a reason. Are you really that stupid or is this some sort of weird novelty act?

Im sorry you have lost me now. What did you mean in the highlighted part? I understand if English isnt your first language (i cant speak ANY other language so more power to you for trying, I respect you for that :thumbsup: )I will try my hardest to understand you but I need you to clarify that highlighted part before I can answer it or respond to it.

I'm the one speaking English, you're the one trying and on the basis of these posts, failing. I hope 'facepalm' is a part of your vocab.

I dont understand why you got so hostile in your response to my original post. I want Axl and GNR to fulfill whatever potential they have and in my pathetic opinion as a fan I think releasing music would be a step forward to achieving this goal, but as you rightly pointed out I am not Axl Rose so what would I know.

I understand that he does what he wants whenever he wants, no problem.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the copy n paste guys.

Really seems like with the Hall it's their personally choices, sometimes just to keep the event going. If you just accept it as a fun night not this massive defining moment then

Maybe that's easier.

The name issue is irrelevant.

Do you honestly 100% believe that Axl would sell exactly the same amount of tickets if he was to drop the Guns n' Roses name? Seriously?

Honestly, it's a new band, so a new band name seems appropriate. By staying with the same name, it is kind of like a sports franchise like the Los Angeles Lakers. I take it that if Axl dies, some new ownership group(Axl's lawyers? haha...or 'camp') could then obtain a new singer, and then it would still be 'Guns n' Roses', and hey...as long as Dizzy is still there, they have at least one member from the HOF GNR, do they not? So how could it not be legit?

Axl is pretty bad at letting go. He seems like a strong guy, but forge onwards. The guys in Pantera did. New bands formed with new names. Like one of the Pantera guys said after Dimebag was killed, (not exact quote)"fans need to understand musicians have been in bands before one of them gets to be famous and has a hey-day. We will also be in bands afterwards, perhaps less-known, once that hey-day is done. Just because there is a lot more commercial success with one, doesn't mean every member of the band has to stay in the band the rest of their life."

My two cents think maybe Axl should let GNR be who it was, and at least let the new guys be honored as the rockin' band 'Lana Del Rey's Wife', or whatever they would like. And yes, I do think said band would sell the same amount of tickets, as everyone would know that the tunes they would be hearing would be the same as now, with eventually new tunes.

....and maybe one day in the distant future, Axl and this 'new' band of guys would get inducted to the HOF in a way where they weren't associated with GNR, as that doesn't seem to be what he wants. haha...maybe the HOF will decide after some time, that yes, Bumblefoot has now been in the band, and played well enough that he can be inducted under the GNR banner too, as well as Tommy. Really? C'mon. Give the new rebel rousers their own identity. No one will ever forget the first and most relevant years of GNR. Everything else under that name is a footnote. Strike out creating your own book of adventure, lads.

I'll say one last time, Axl was probably surprised there was any positive response to him turning them down and is glad that a portion of the fanbase and the media actually supported him.

Exactly. And there are fans outside this forum, believe it or not. Just because the majority here hates him doesn't mean it's the case everywhere else. I certainly saw a fair amount of people supporting his decision which I had not expected cause I thought everyone would hate him for it (which Axl probably did too) so I was surprised. I saw many tweets to him telling him how people backed him up and that's probably what he's referring to.

I would bet all of my wife's money that no one on this forum hates Axl. A lot of people think he often acts like an asshole and makes bad decisions, but most people I have come across here who critisise Axl are the ones that deep down like him the most. Its because we love the guy and his potential that its so painful to watch him put himself in positions where people have no option but to call him out on his behavior just like they would anyone else in any walk of life.

There's always an option when it comes to deciding whether or not to be a gobshite. If you respect an artist you think 'well, I don't understand why he's doing this, but he's got his own ideas and his own scruples and his own brain - and that's what made me love his work in the first place'. If you're a gobshite you think 'well, I loved all those songs that came out of that brain, but now he's getting it all wrong because he's not doing what I would do'. Ah, there's the rub. You didn't write those songs. You don't sing like that. He's Axl Rose, and you're not.

By that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done because actually every living person has their "own scruples and our own brain". Stop trying to create an argument out of nothing. What I said was fine.

As for 'by that argument you can support anything anyone has ever done' - don't talk such utter shit, read what people actually wrote. 'If you respect an artist', brain trust, I may have said that for a reason. Are you really that stupid or is this some sort of weird novelty act?

Im sorry you have lost me now. What did you mean in the highlighted part? I understand if English isnt your first language (i cant speak ANY other language so more power to you for trying, I respect you for that :thumbsup: )I will try my hardest to understand you but I need you to clarify that highlighted part before I can answer it or respond to it.

I'm the one speaking English, you're the one trying and on the basis of these posts, failing. I hope 'facepalm' is a part of your vocab.

I dont understand why you got so hostile in your response to my original post. I want Axl and GNR to fulfill whatever potential they have and in my pathetic opinion as a fan I think releasing music would be a step forward to achieving this goal, but as you rightly pointed out I am not Axl Rose so what would I know.

Fulfillment of potential is also not an absolute. For some people, getting out of bed on a morning and facing the day is a victory. I'd love more new music from Axl and the current guys, but if that's not where his heart is, fair enough. He's a temperamental guy with a tough past and a lot of shit to deal with. The guys are touring, so we're getting something. It's not like the wilderness years of '03-'06 when we were pretty much wondering if it was even a band anymore.

What aggravates me are those who think Axl should go hang with guys he's spent decades distancing himself from to make them happy. Let's not mince words - the RNR Hall of Fame IS meaningless. You don't throw away your values because some faceless committee of rich old guys have decided your band were good.

Of course your opinions as a fan aren't pathetic (your mocking of my posts for your lack of understanding, on the other hand however...)

Axl has got by on his talent, chiefly his vocals, songwriting and charisma as a frontman and still sells tickets on that basis. Slash is a great guitarist and is recognized as one of the best in the world. He sells tickets on that basis.

Well that's really not true any more is it? Axl sells tickets based on those aspects but under the Guns n' Roses name. Slash regardless of what people may think of him isn't trading on the GnR name any more and has made a success of himself on his own merit without relying on the legacy of a band that died nearly 20 years ago.

I disagree. Slash is more often than not referred to in press, media and so on - and is chiefly known for - being the ex-GNR guitarist. If you ask most people to name a Snakepit song they couldn't. If you ask them to name one off his last album they couldn't. A VR song? Maybe one. Not that that denigrates his recent work - the fact is rock music used to get more airplay and be a lot more in the public consciousness than it is now. My point is that they both STILL sell tickets because they both have the majority of their skills intact. If Axl couldn't sing and perform or Slash couldn't play, people wouldn't pay to see them. The name issue is irrelevant. People who pay to see a Guns N' Roses show in 2012 know Slash isn't there. People who pay to see a Slash or VR concert know Axl isn't there. They are responsible for their own talents and their own ongoing appeal.

Axl is no outlaw. Despite what he might like to think. The reality is that he is a coward, all talk and no action.

It takes guts to go against the wishes of the teeming hordes, dude. Most people seek safety in numbers.

And some seek it by running away and hiding.

Choosing not to pay 3 grand to attend an event to shake hands with people you don't like is not running away and hiding.

If that's ALL this event was about, you might have had a point.

What the event is "about" is different in different people's eyes. There's no unanimous agreement on this issue.

People aren't viewing it differently, people are making excuses.

Again, excuses for what? A guy didn't want to go somewhere, so he didn't go. What needs excusing?

Apparently Axl. or he wouldn't have written the letter.

I guess what I can't get past with all of this is the lack of appreciation from Axl towards those bandmates that formed that core that created the original material. Seriously, is it that hard to say "I'd like to thank my talented former bandmates - we captured lightning and then things went to shit, but I respect and appreciate the musical perspective and talent each of you all brought to the table. No, there won't be a reunion, but I wish you all the best and I'm thankful for the fruits of our mutual labour"

That's all I really want to hear from the guy. Fuck - even if you've been in court and endless legal battles - after all this time, take the high road and fucking end the discussion and perpetuity of this me versus them shit.....and you can do it without a reunion.

Fulfillment of potential is also not an absolute. For some people, getting out of bed on a morning and facing the day is a victory. I'd love more new music from Axl and the current guys, but if that's not where his heart is, fair enough. He's a temperamental guy with a tough past and a lot of shit to deal with. The guys are touring, so we're getting something. It's not like the wilderness years of '03-'06 when we were pretty much wondering if it was even a band anymore.

What aggravates me are those who think Axl should go hang with guys he's spent decades distancing himself from to make them happy. Let's not mince words - the RNR Hall of Fame IS meaningless. You don't throw away your values because some faceless committee of rich old guys have decided your band were good.

Of course your opinions as a fan aren't pathetic (your mocking of my posts for your lack of understanding, on the other hand however...)

OK fine I understand you now. Your more a fan of Axl as a person than as a musician. Thats cool.

Im the opposite I love his music first and I put all the troubled past, racist lyrics, fights etc to one side and prefer to hear music. As a person I have no respect for him whatsoever.

Edit** Please, please, please no one attempt to justify OIAM lyrics. Ive heard them all before and until a coherent one comes from its author they dont mean a thing.

Edited by spunko12345

I guess what I can't get past with all of this is the lack of appreciation from Axl towards those bandmates that formed that core that created the original material. Seriously, is it that hard to say "I'd like to thank my talented former bandmates - we captured lightning and then things went to shit, but I respect and appreciate the musical perspective and talent each of you all brought to the table. No, there won't be a reunion, but I wish you all the best and I'm thankful for the fruits of our mutual labour"

That's all I really want to hear from the guy. Fuck - even if you've been in court and endless legal battles - after all this time, take the high road and fucking end the discussion and perpetuity of this me versus them shit.....and you can do it without a reunion.

I agree. If Axl had gone I don't care if he didn't want to play, I was just hoping to see him shake hands with Slash and bury the hatchet.

Guest ben9785

I appreciate his feelings about the Hall of Fame and that he did not want to participate if he did not feel the event was of any credibility, which is true.

I think if any meeting was going to happen it would, and it should, happen in a far less formal/staged event. I'm sure that Axl mentioned on this forum in the past that he would not be completely opposed to a one off event for a charity or otherwise. Obviously HoF would not have been the right place for all of them to come together because there are people outside who wanted too hard to try to make it the foundation for a reunion.

I love how he used the word "entitlement". This is really the issue. He addressed it in the earlier letter as well. It is so like this current society, especially in the US to feel "entitled" to what they want musically, and damn the actual performer.

He has a solid grasp on what he wants, he is supporting his current band, and does no feel that he owes anyone anything but giving 100% when he does a show. I love this. He is damned if he does or damned if he doesn't, but it seems as though he is comfortable in his stance, and I am glad, cause that means more touring, and more music.

Anyone out there who thinks Axl is wrong to feel how he does, ask yourself if you would be willing to let others make your life decisions for you based on what they want?

Agree on all of this 100%.

I would also like to comment, not sure if anyone else has, but I am sure there is a high possibility that a lot of high profile people, colleagues, etc. may have reached out to Axl on a personal level to show their understanding and support to him on his decision, this coupled with a decent amount of neutral/positive press he received from numerous news outlets, was probably way more than he imagined he would get making the response to him overwhelming.

I seriously just do not understand why 75% of the people on this forum even come here on a daily basis. What is the point if you damn near hate and do not support a single thing the frontman of the band does? I just don't get it. I can't imagine if there were message boards back in the early 1990s what this place would have been like then with all the late starts, rants, tandtrums, riots, etc. Oh, I forgot he was with the "old GNR" then, so it was okay and so totally rock starish of him.

Nice post. I completely agree.

Unusual for Axl to make a statement like this just a week after making a similar statement. Just shows that Axl and the GN'R camp have indeed been looking for public reaction in relation to Axls' decision, maybe Axl cares about the media and press, more than we think.

I think he cares alot. He reads everything about himself and the band. He knew specific members on the forums way back in Rock in Rio III when he called them out. He thanked Kurt Loder for the Rock in Rio III review. He liked how reviewers noticed Oh My God's disco beats. He picked up on how my outlets and media were calling Tobias "Paul Huge". These are just some of what I picked up on him having mentioned.

I think it's cool that he is communicating more often. I've always had the opinion that it's up to Axl if he wanted to attend or not. Sure it would have been cool as, but even if he did, he would not have performed. Some serious mediation would have to occur before the thought of that ever happens. Here's hoping for some new material sometime 'soon'.

Edited by Young_Gun

Unusual for Axl to make a statement like this just a week after making a similar statement. Just shows that Axl and the GN'R camp have indeed been looking for public reaction in relation to Axls' decision, maybe Axl cares about the media and press, more than we think.

or more than he wants us and everybody (including former bandmates) to think.

Edited by Todo Poderoso Timão

Some of you guys defy comprehension to me, what I mean is you created a dream (an illusion if you will) about something in your head.

Then it turns out that dream does not come to reality (as most never do) then you lash out at others. Even if Axl went there would not have been a performance. None of the happenings this week should have surprised anyone at all that frequents this board. Axl has made it known FOR YEARS it would never happen, it's not like he tricked you into thinking he would reunite and then backed out...

The HOF was NEVER put in place for the fans, it is about suits lining thier pockets with $$$, the HOF doesn't dictate to me anyway who I choose to listen to and follow.

I dont want to take away anything from the former members regarding this honour to them, some see it as an honour some see it otherwise.

read this article half way down page:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

The HOF is NOT about the fans, sorry guys.

He initially said hes not going because he didn't feel respected or wanted.. Fuck, which is it axl??? Honesty is always the best answer because you only end up with one answer.. Not this clusterfuck of bullshit excuses..

Yeah, because he couldn't possibly have more than one reason for something. Especially if those reasons don't conflict each other at all; right? :eyeroll:

You can find something relevant to whine about if you dig deep. I know you have it in you. :thumbsup:

He initially said hes not going because he didn't feel respected or wanted.. Fuck, which is it axl??? Honesty is always the best answer because you only end up with one answer.. Not this clusterfuck of bullshit excuses..

Yeah, because he couldn't possibly have more than one reason for something. Especially if those reasons don't conflict each other at all; right? :eyeroll:

You can find something relevant to whine about if you dig deep. I know you have it in you. :thumbsup:

Your nick is quite relevant to this :)

You got me!!

Some of you guys defy comprehension to me, what I mean is you created a dream (an illusion if you will) about something in your head.

Then it turns out that dream does not come to reality (as most never do) then you lash out at others. Even if Axl went there would not have been a performance. None of the happenings this week should have surprised anyone at all that frequents this board. Axl has made it known FOR YEARS it would never happen, it's not like he tricked you into thinking he would reunite and then backed out...

The HOF was NEVER put in place for the fans, it is about suits lining thier pockets with $$$, the HOF doesn't dictate to me anyway who I choose to listen to and follow.

I dont want to take away anything from the former members regarding this honour to them, some see it as an honour some see it otherwise.

read this article half way down page:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

The HOF is NOT about the fans, sorry guys.

The fact that Babe Ruth is in the Hall of Fame, is not designed to make you cheer for the Yankees, if you are currently a Red Sox or Blue Jays fan. That is not the point. It's about honouring the best.

Duff said it perfectly. Music is so subjective, it's a lot easier to determine who belongs in sports, because of the stats. But even there, there are vicious debates in every sport about guys that are not in the Hall that should be, and about guys that are in the Hall, but shouldn't. Or maybe they should? It's a fun topic to debate. Who gives a fuck about any of this other bullshit.

The Hall is not perfect by any means. But it was a great idea, and it's the best we've got. Rock 'n Roll means as much to many of us as sports does, and it's cool to honour the history.

There are people who "defy comprehension" on both sides of this dispute. I mean, have you read some of the pro-Axl posts lately? Like I said earlier, Axl could go on a killing spree and some people would argue about how "cool" and "punk rock" it was. The way some people insult Slash around here is disgusting.

My disappointment this week in the way Axl handled this situation has nothing to do with a "reunion".

Funny story just happened in my driveway. (She knows I am a fan) I just got out of my car and the lady next door is there she says "Justin! That Axl Rose guy is all over the news about the Hall Of Fame thing" I replied yes, she response "Good for him, I like a guy like that!" I was like huh? She said she likes a man who can stand up for what he believes in or something to that effect. She is my neighbor and cannot name one GNR tune, yet with all the events this week she mentions Axl Rose, I thought is was funny myself.

SO with all the guys jamming and such Axl still is relevant to people, even non fans.

BTW she is in her 60's.

My funny story..

My Mom called me up last week, she knew I was a big fan and actually still remembers the band name and at least the names Axl and Slash (Slash because I named our cat that many years ago). I read that Guns N Roses are being inducted, but what is with this Axl? He doesn't want his name inducted? Thats not right. Did they break up? Well even so, his letter made him sound pompous. Are you planning on going to the Ceremony? Yeah, know I don't know what he was thinking..... She went on, and on about it, to the point it seems she was upset. Which is the most I ever heard her saying anything about a band or music I liked in my lifetime besides, TURN THAT RACKET DOWN.LOL... :) She will be 70 soon.

This is my Mom. A non-fan, well she isn't a fan of rock unless its 50's. So take it for what you will. I thought it was funny...

Edited by cyanide3