Rock in Rio 2001

GeetarMikey

Just watched a bit of the RIR 2001 concert and I must say, you can really feel the energy and power the new band at the time had. Sure it's a bit ropey in places and Axl's voice isn't the best it's ever been, but it really seemed like a brilliant fresh start at the time. They even do Think About You, which was a big surprise I'd forgotten!

Just a quick thought anyway, was a pleasure to revisit it after ages of not seeing it

Love the ambition and mystery surrounding that performance. It was kinda like a promise. Back then, you could see Axl wanted to take that band to the limit, trying not to be negative now but... he doesn't seem to be that ambitious nowadays. The only things I don't like about that performance is GnR's look, which was ridiculous, and how they made Chris Pitman so loud in the mix. Those synth effects on SCOM and YCBM really sucked.

It stands along side shows from back in the day. One of my fave shows ever, the lighting, the energy , the intensity, the look, the solos (bucket and Robin duet and Soosego (sp), both awesome), the crowd, I liked Axl's voice at that time, the thought that this band could conquer the world, amazing.

I'm a big fan on RiR 2001 too. Plus you guys all remember Silkworms. I hated it when I first heard it, but now I love it. I wish the band would take risks and stop playing all the cover songs they play. Try out a new song, take a chance. RiR 2001 will always be an epic show and one of the best of NuGuns. I guess they were version 1.0. We're on about 3.0 now aren't we lol?

Ahh yes..the best Jungle ever arguably. It's so easy, RQ, Michelle, Silkworms, OMG, KOHD, Nightrain. Band was stellar. It was lightning in a bottle, for a night. I watch that Jungle all the time. Being that he hasnt showcased the material from that era properly, presumably because it's too complicated/hard/expensive, Axl should simplify things, come full circle, and try to make some regular ol' songs. I think big ass stressful epic ideas have worn him out.

The show was amazing, historic even. But I don't watch it full form since at least 2002...

Why? Well, the mix was terrible, the guitars sounded like there was no amp between the signal. Everything sounded mudded and with no bass punch (even tho you can hear Tommy pretty clear). I rather listen to the Vegas 2001 bootleg or any of the soundboards from 2002.

I know I'll get crucified upside down hanging from a volcano for saying this here but I prefer Rock Am Ring 2006 :xmasssanta:

I totally agree with you I think Rock Am Ring was the best new-GNR performance of all time, I'd put RIR 2001 in 2nd. The band killed it but Axls Vocals really weren't that great in RIR but in Rock Am Ring his vocals were the best I've heard since the UYI days

not amazing at all.

the best moment of the show : "ok, nevermind"

fat axl without air, numerous errors of musicians. this was the show.

i was there.

Edited by auad

I know I'll get crucified upside down hanging from a volcano for saying this here but I prefer Rock Am Ring 2006 :xmasssanta:

I totally agree with you I think Rock Am Ring was the best new-GNR performance of all time, I'd put RIR 2001 in 2nd. The band killed it but Axls Vocals really weren't that great in RIR but in Rock Am Ring his vocals were the best I've heard since the UYI days

Once again, they're gonna burn me alive for this but... Rock AM Ring 2006 is my favorite GnR performance period. I like it more than any other GnR concert from any incarnation. IMO, Axl's voice is perfect there. Better than the old days. Just perfect.

Best version of The Blues ever. That performance together with Madagascar from this show is what got me into GN'R in the first place.

! agree 100%. They were pretty tight at the Inland invasion as well.

WHAT? :D

Great show. Buckethead was excellent on Nightrain bringing his own thing to the song, and not simply attempting to emulate Slash. The Robin Finck + Buckethead solo was really something. Brain was on fire. The whole show felt really special, like Axl was really trying to sell the new Guns N'Roses to the masses. Since 2001 the show has never been better'ed. And as the poster said above, it featured the best live performance of The Blues to date. The whole show makes 2012 GN'R sound sluggish.

Edited by vaida

Rock Am Ring was out of this world