Why do you dislike the members of (New) GN'R?

Vincent Vega

Outside of disliking CD, I've sen a good deal of hate and bashing toward the actual members of the band, not toward their abilities but towards them in general--calling them hacks and scabs, mocking them as "The Employees", etc, almost as if the people who dislike them dislike them on a sort of personal level. If you dislike any of the members of GN'R who have been in the band since 1997, why do you dislike them? I mean criticizing a guy's playing or ability is one thing, which comes down to taste, which is totally subjective, but I've never understood the need to hate the band members as people, I mean for example the way people hate Dizzy and Bumblefoot in particular. I mean, I think Bumblefoot's gimmick is cheesy and that he's not as good as Bucket was and may not be good for GN'R (yet to be seen, really) but I don't hate him as a person.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

The only ones I really dislike are Finch and Dizzy. I don't like any of them, except from maybe Fortus, which I think is cool enough, but I just don't care about them and I think they're quite boring live. People say they're so fantastic live, but they really aren't. Axl is an fantastic performer and they're playing a great catalogue of songs written by another band, but to be honest, they don't play them that well. They don't have any of the attitude and energy put into it. Some of them don't even have a decent tone on their guitars. The drummer misses to catch the right groove and there's so much shit going on at the same time that you can barely hear Tommy's bass, so I can't judge that.

None of them in the current band, except from Ashba and Fortus has got any charisma or stage presence at all. They're just really boring live, even if they can play it all note for note, it just doesn't sound right when they do it.

They are all people with good and bad sides and I don't really have a problem with any of them. If I were to listen some negative sides with some of them that I personally would have preferred weren't there, then here goes:

Axl: Takes too fucking long to record and release music. Obviously drives away great musicians with his procrastination and lack of skills at keeping the team happy. Also antagonizes audiences and band members by rarely coming on stage at the right time. Too fond of pianos and pathos.

Bumblefoot: Puts too many notes in his solo. Looks as if he has a bad case of constipation when playing solos. Just tries too hard to act like he is a cool guy.

Dj: A bit immature.

But all in all I like all of them because their good sides outweigh their bad sides (Axl is a genius musician and a fantastic frontman, Bumblefoot is a lovely guy who can play anything, Dj is a great entertainer and seems to bring the band a really great and positive can-do attitude).

Guest Len B'stard

Because a great deal of the fans of GnR are less fans of actual music and more fans of like, soap operas.

Edited by sugaraylen

Not too fond of Pitman...

It's not that I don't like the NIN sound that Axl was trying to emulate in a way because I listen to a lot of music in that vein, it's just that I feel that his contributions to the album sound...well, no offense and it's just my opinion, kinda cheesy.

Always felt that someone like Chris Vrenna, Charlie Clouser, or Danny Lohner would have been a better fit.

Also, Axl hoarding music is pissing me off...

Other than that, I like everyone else ( even though I feel that Fortus + BBF are a great pair and, thus, DJ isn't really needed ).

Guest Len B'stard

Because a great deal of the fans of GnR are less fans of actual music and more fans of like, soap operas.

? You WHAT?

Well think about it, how much fans of music can they POSSIBLY be, considering how much they've had out of the band since the mid 90s? it's all about the cult of celebrity and the on-going drama and bollocks, thats why this place is full of like, THE AXL PICTURE THREAD, THE AXL IN SHORTS THREAD, thats why the only place really worth going on here is Anything Goes and My World, cuz it's interesting and the people are interesting, other than that, it's a fuckin joke really innit? I mean, after a while, who wants to sit around listening to Volcano spout a load of bollocks that no one cares about or...y'know, poring over and scouring the INCREDIBLY boring snippets of interview from band members or whoever, trying to somehow decipher their mood or standing in the band or whether they're about to get fired or leave or whatever, looking for cryptic little clues, it's all a bit of a cocksuck really and patronised by people like myself who just have fuck all to do with their time :lol:

? You WHAT?

Well think about it, how much fans of music can they POSSIBLY be, considering how much they've had out of the band since the mid 90s? it's all about the cult of celebrity and the on-going drama and bollocks, thats why this place is full of like, THE AXL PICTURE THREAD, THE AXL IN SHORTS THREAD, thats why the only place really worth going on here is Anything Goes and My World, cuz it's interesting and the people are interesting, other than that, it's a fuckin joke really innit? I mean, after a while, who wants to sit around listening to Volcano spout a load of bollocks that no one cares about or...y'know, poring over and scouring the INCREDIBLY boring snippets of interview from band members or whoever, trying to somehow decipher their mood or standing in the band or whether they're about to get fired or leave or whatever, looking for cryptic little clues, it's all a bit of a cocksuck really and patronised by people like myself who just have fuck all to do with their time :lol:

Boredom and obsessiveness with the band, due to their music primarily or at least firstly, are the two reasons. To say you're above others because you're here for boredom not fandom is a load of shit. You're just like everyone else or you'd just go on stumbleupon or something.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

Guest Len B'stard

? You WHAT?

Boredom and obsessiveness with the band, due to their music primarily or at least firstly, are the two reasons. To say you're above others because you're here for boredom not fandom is a load of shit. You're just like everyone else or you'd just go on stumbleupon or something.

See, where you've gone wrong here is somehow imagining the concept that i think i'm above anybody here, nothing of the sort was said in my post, in fact, it clearly states that it's patronised by PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF. Key words ;) In fact, people like me are the worst of the bunch cuz i should know better really but i do so love wallowing in the puerile.

The facts of what i say stand and will stand until such time as something is done about them. How much fans of music can people that get an album once every decade and a half be? Now you can walk around that, look it up and down, poke it, stroke off to it but it is what it is and it is a fact.

As far as whether i think the members of the band are hacks well, to be honest, i don't care enough about the subject to form an opinion on it HOWEVER i can see how people might think that way, considering they're willing to stay signed on to a band that doesn't really seem to want to be making any new music any time soon. Or releasing or whatever.

Don't like or dislike em, i've literally nothing to judge by cuz they don't release music and until they do, what exactly am i supposed to base my judgements on and why would i even care to have an opinion about a bunch of total strangers? Live performances i suppose? Sorry but not really interested in all that "how well does such and such do such and suchs solo" stuff.

Edited by sugaraylen

But they ARE employees. That's not a knock, these guys are paid a salary, like you or I. Why is it considered a negative to call them that, when anyone who works for a living, short of being their own boss and owning their own company, are employees as well.

As for the personal hate, I see a lot directed towards former band members as well. I don't think any of the opinions on the forum translate to actual emotions in real life. People can trash on Bumbledoot or DJ, but if they had an opportunity to meet them, I'm sure it would be very amicable.

Outside of disliking CD, I've sen a good deal of hate and bashing toward the actual members of the band, not toward their abilities but towards them in general--calling them hacks and scabs, mocking them as "The Employees", etc, almost as if the people who dislike them dislike them on a sort of personal level. If you dislike any of the members of GN'R who have been in the band since 1997, why do you dislike them? I mean criticizing a guy's playing or ability is one thing, which comes down to taste, which is totally subjective, but I've never understood the need to hate the band members as people, I mean for example the way people hate Dizzy and Bumblefoot in particular. I mean, I think Bumblefoot's gimmick is cheesy and that he's not as good as Bucket was and may not be good for GN'R (yet to be seen, really) but I don't hate him as a person.

Adler's the only one who called them hacks and scabs, and he was an asshole for saying it, but no one took it to heart. Ron made a comment to him on FB, and I'm sure Duff and Slash did a facepalm.

You know that it's frustration with how Axl does things. GnR never have to play in America ever again. Even if Axl just did Fashion Week, a couple of private gigs, and a festival show, he'd prob. make more money with that than doing a US arena tour. Most of them weren't road dogs before GnR.

I don't dislike any of them particularly much. I love Bumblefoot, but I'm not sure his style fits GNR. I think DJ is great, and Fortus is underused. I'm not a Pitman fan, but only because I don't see the point in him. I like Frank, but I don't like what he did to Civil War/Patience.

The only ones I really dislike are Finch and Dizzy. I don't like any of them, except from maybe Fortus, which I think is cool enough, but I just don't care about them and I think they're quite boring live. People say they're so fantastic live, but they really aren't. Axl is an fantastic performer and they're playing a great catalogue of songs written by another band, but to be honest, they don't play them that well. They don't have any of the attitude and energy put into it. Some of them don't even have a decent tone on their guitars. The drummer misses to catch the right groove and there's so much shit going on at the same time that you can barely hear Tommy's bass, so I can't judge that.

None of them in the current band, except from Ashba and Fortus has got any charisma or stage presence at all. They're just really boring live, even if they can play it all note for note, it just doesn't sound right when they do it.

Have you seen them live my friend? Because they're a blast. Each and every one of them has great stage presence. And their playing is nearly flawless. I know you're a reunionist and everything (and you have every right to want what you want) but you can't say they don't play well. They're one of the most solid bands out there.

I basically like all of them:

• Axl's a childish inconsiderate asshole but I love him as a musician.
  • Bumblefoot's awesome either way, except he looks stupid with those bloody eyes/braided beard thing he has going on now.
  • Richard looks awesome, plays awesomely well but doesn't give a fuck about GnR's future, IMO.
  • DJ's a very nice guy but he's really irritating when he tried too hard to look like a rockstar. Waaayyy toooo hard. Waaaaayy.
  • Tommy's a good bass player, he does his job pretty well, has an important role in GnR but I just look at his face and think he's an asshole. Don't know why.
  • Frank looks awesome and sounds awesome. Not complaints about him.
  • Dizzy's basically Axl's pet. Don't really like him, but I don't think I'll ever LOVE a keyboard player so... whatever.
  • Chris Pitman must be a cool guy but I think he's really unnecessary as a band member. Especially if they keep this endless touring thing going on. He plays the tambourine in at least 50% of the show :D

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Have you seen them live my friend? Because they're a blast. Each and every one of them has great stage presence. And their playing is nearly flawless. I know you're a reunionist and everything (and you have every right to want what you want) but you can't say they don't play well. They're one of the most solid bands out there.

Twice.

It was good concerts, but if we put it into some perspective, it wasn't that good. Not if you compare to how the real band played the songs. They put into so much more soul, energy and attitude into the music. Don't misunderstand me, I was really enjoying the concerts, but they just missed something, in my opinion.

Like I said, they can play it all note by note and it still doesn't sound nearly as good as when real GNR played it. They don't have the energy and attitude to pull off the AFD songs. Someone like Bumblefoot can play it all great, note by note, but he's got an awful tone on his guitar. Listen to the difference in the drums on songs like Mr Brownstone and You Could Be Mine.

There are lots of other examples that could be made, but there's some of them.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Axl - Don't even get me started.

Ashba - I don't really like Ashba because for me, he embodies the fact that the current lineup is a cover band. He's clearly been brought in for the sole reason of emulating Slash. Also, based on his back catalog, I really don't want anything written by him to be on the next record. He's just an average guitarist in general and brings no innovation to the band.

Bumblefoot - Ruined CD with his overdubs, but that's not really his fault. He also doesn't really fit in well with the current band dynamic and is just a poor man's Buckethead. That being said, he's great to the fans and seems to be one of the only guys in the band interested in moving forward.

Fortus - Shitty tone, ruins every solo he plays except his own spot.

Stinson - Seems like an absolute dick. I imagine him being the guy who, when proposed the idea of playing a new song, is like "fuck that I'm not learning Locomotive". He's also the guy who makes security take peoples' cameras away according to that guy who streamed a couple American shows last year. He seems to have appointed himself the second in command after Axl and I don't like it. His solo spots all suck besides Sonic Reducer.

Frank - Horribly average drummer who cannot play Nightrain, Patience or Brownstone.

Dizzy - Seems like a bit of a dick, but meh. Does his job well. No complaints.

Pitman - No complaints.

axl is out of shape, can't really sing like he did in 09 and 2010. age finally got him, and i won't say he tries his best because everybody knows how he doesn't prepare himself and needs "warm-up shows" which sucks for the people who catch the first concerts.

richard is cool but like somebody already said, he is THE hired hand.

dj is a bad guitar player and his stage persona is cheesy.

ron is a good person but he doesn't have that GnR attitude, lately i've been respecting him more because of his words and i wouldn't be surprised if he leaves gnr after the tour.

tommy is another hired hand at its best. almost 20 years in the band, and still, voiceless. he's there to play what he's told to play.

dizzy is axl's puppet and he is happy being this way, so i can't respect the guy.

frank is a session drummer. easily the worst gnr drummer ever, no personality at all.

chris is supposed to give gnr a modern touch and plays the tambourine most of the time, lol.

that's what i dislike about the gnr members. you could call me a hater but i'm just answering the op question. sure i would love to hear new material from these guys.

Bumblefoot: Puts too many notes in his solo. Looks as if he has a bad case of constipation when playing solos. Just tries too hard to act like he is a cool guy.

I hung out with the guy for a couple of hours 3 years ago at NAMM. Just me and him. Him being cool isn't an act. He really is nice and cool to everyone.