The first night of the UCAP tour...

I love CD as opener. Better than WTTJ, works for me.

And if im not wrong, Axl said they usually leave WTTJ second because if something goes wrong with CD (throwing shit on stage, sound etc) they can go straight to WTTJ and keep the show going...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I enjoyed CD, it felt kind of awkward going nuts and screaming the words out for it live because I was literally the only person near me in the crowd who seemed to even know what they were playing. A few scattered bobbing heads and the like is not good enough for such a supposedly huge entrance and after the great build-up and riff, the pyro explodes and momentum is at a peak and... it's like a dud grenade or something.

Meanwhile seeing them open in '06 with Jungle I think I was in a vegetative state for the first few songs, as oxygen struggled to reach my brain in the frenzied crowd-wide moshpit that song inspires. You want to arrive with a bang (not just literally either) and Chinese Democracy just isn't well known enough among the casual fans that mostly make up the crowd to even get them singing, never mind losing their shit.

In regards to the actual question the OP had... I don't think it was the start of something new which was ultimately scrapped, but it is a setlist omission which inspires curiosity.

That said, crowds as a whole seem a lot less nuts than they were back in 2006... it seems like the heady days of receptions like this are long gone sadly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NPZjekmnM

Edited by KetchupNotMayo

Guest Broskirose

I was at the Roseland Ballroom show on the rail and it actually seemed like Axl didn't want to play the song. Kind of like Dj started playing it without Axl's approval. He seemed a bit upset at the very beginning of the show when he walked out to the stage.

Edited by Broskirose

I was at the show. Jungle isn't a good opener. CD is much better.

Jungle is pretty much the best opener any band in the world could ever wish for! CD is a great steaming turd of a song that should still be locked in Axl's vaults never mind on the set list at all!

I've seen both Jungle and CD open GNR shows. CD is much better. Jungle is cool if you're 12 and just heard it on guitar hero for the first time.

CD has the epic intro, the deformed baby screens fading in and out under dimmed red lights, the pyro, the overall atmosphere.

+1

Agreed 100%

I can't imagine a GnR concert without THE Chinese Democracy Axl dance moves. Gotta love 'em: Duckwalk, step step, swing that hip, pass the mic over to the other hand, step step, DIS-IN-FAT-U-ATION, spin the wheel, and again.

Edited by The Only Cosmonaut

When I was at the May 12 Hammerstein near the rail they opened with WTTJ and it literally was a fuckng jungle mad house. Complete with people passing out and being carried out by security. Fast forward 6 years. Chinese Democracy....not so much. I think Axl thought CD was a much better song than it actually was. That is an opinion, but the fact is the song itself made zero impact on popular cutlure, nor modern rock itself. That is fact.

Funny how the point of this thread was based on questions no one here could possibly answer and thus it's turned into a thread about what song is the better opener.

CD isn't a bad way to start a show, and considering they've opened with Jungle from 2001 - 2007, it's cool that they changed it up a bit (and I say I bit because if you've been to a previous show, after CD you know what the next 3-4 songs are going to be).

But all things being equal, I do agree with the previous poster who stated that Jungle is one of the greatest opening songs of all time. Other than Where The Streets Have No Name by U2, I can't think of another song that's more suited to open a concert. That guitar intro is built to melt faces and expand excitement as the crowd exhales from the long wait for GNR to start the show. It's perfect.

Cheers,

Andrew

That is an opinion, but the fact is the song itself made zero impact on popular cutlure, nor modern rock itself. That is fact.

What does that have anything to do with Chinese being a great opener? Watch this video...

The atmosphere is really intense. The best opener I could ever experience live. These people wouldn't agree with you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bruno Poeys

That is an opinion, but the fact is the song itself made zero impact on popular cutlure, nor modern rock itself. That is fact.

What does that have anything to do with Chinese being a great opener? Watch this video...

The atmosphere is really intense. The best opener I could ever experience live. These people wouldn't agree with you. :thumbsup:

2010 was great wasn't it?

I can't imagine a GnR concert without THE Chinese Democracy Axl dance moves. Gotta love 'em: Duckwalk, step step, swing that hip, pass the mic over to the other hand, step step, DIS-IN-FAT-U-ATION, spin the wheel, and again.

These shows really are so damn similar every night.

WTTJ should open the show.

CD as an opener is such a let down.

I really have to disagree with this. I think CD is a great way to kick things off. From the slow build up to the end. Badass.

It starts off good but then the reality sets in - no one knows the song! Most of the crowd stop cheering and just stand there staring. That doesn't happen with Jungle. The whole place erupts for that one. When GN'R first comes out on stage you want to be blown away.

They could play CD as the first encore song.

It's kinda sad that some people's choice of opener are based on crowd reaction instead of their own opinion of the songs themselves. Crowd reaction is heavily influenced by familiarity, and there is no other GNR song that is more familiar than Jungle. It's constantly played at sporting events, as an intro to radio and television shows, etc. Democracy, on the other hand, is an unknown song to the vast majority of people who attend GNR concerts. Just because the crowd goes nuts at the first classic hit performed during a GNR concert, it doesn't justify that song as a better opener than any other song.

What if Jungle was a brand new song that few people have ever heard, does that mean it WOULDN'T be a great opener because the crowd doesn't know it and therefore doesn't react to it? That is silly. Judge each song by it's qualities and flaws, not by crowd reaction.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

It's not just based on crowd reaction. The atmosphere the song creates is just a bonus. The intro to Jungle is one of the best. Such an exciting song. It has way more energy than CD. You are proving the point by saying its used by other parties and why wouldn't they? It's perfect for the job.

Overall Jungle is a much better song. To me thats obvious. Shocked that even has to be stated.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

people on this site complain that the band doesn't move away from the old material enough. How does opening with Jungle instead of Chinese help the band move away from the old material?

When we say new material we mean good new material. :)

people on this site complain that the band doesn't move away from the old material enough. How does opening with Jungle instead of Chinese help the band move away from the old material?

Chinese IS good new material. Perhaps you don't like the new material and would prefer to post in the Pre-1994 section of the board.

If you don't like the current material, there are other sections of the forum to discuss the material you do like.

Unless of course, you're only here to complain about things you don't like, in which case I would suggest you find other things in life that maybe you will enjoy more instead of focusing on things you don't enjoy. I don't enjoy soccer, but I also don't spend my time complaining about soccer on soccer websites.

MSL, I am enjoying your posts more and more each day :)

Both times I have seen GnR they have opened with Chinese, and the only better opening i can think of is Aces High with the Churchill speech by Iron Maiden.

Sure I would love to have seen the opening where axl screams "You know where the fuck you areee" but CD is a perfect fit or a new Guns n Roses

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

That diesnt really come into it. CD isn't new anymore anyway. They can use it to open the encore. A little reshuffle is what is needed.

That diesnt really come into it. CD isn't new anymore anyway. They can use it to open the encore. A little reshuffle is what is needed.

how is CD not new? Its from the latest album that they have been touring in support of for the past two years. They played it sparingly in 02 and 06 but not enough to consider it old.

so you would rather have Jungle, an older song, open the show and call that a reshuffle? after they've opened with it for years? come on, really?