Where did they (axl) fuck up with catcher in the rye?

ThomasMeadow

The song is a good song. I'm not gonna lie, Like I said in my 45 min you tube video of the album, the 1st time I heard this song I thought it was the cat's meow.

But after like 3 listens it got old... FAST!

But the thing about the song is , its right at the edge of being one of the best songs ever. What happened?

I honestly think if the song just had a Axl singing , A piano, and a guitar for the solo it would have been a huge hit.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

That acoustic live version of it was great. The album version sucks though. Like most other on CD, it would have been better if they stripped it down a bit. Or a lot, rather. I hear potential in several of the songs on CD that sucks, but they just got too much shit on them and Axl's vocals are really weak. He should have re-recorded them all but a few songs and all songs should have been stripped down.

Guest Broskirose

Bumblefoot isn't the problem. Both solos were fine by Brian and Bumble.

The issue is the overproduction and the drowning of Pitmans synth solo.

It's the mix. There's just too much going on, too much production, the guitars are too loud in the mix, and it buries what is actually a brilliant vocal and melody.

Not saying it's a bad song or bad mix, I do love it but I agree with the OP's assertion that something just isn't quite right.

Guest Gunns

It's the mix. There's just too much going on, too much production, the guitars are too loud in the mix, and it buries what is actually a brilliant vocal and melody.

Not saying it's a bad song or bad mix, I do love it but I agree with the OP's assertion that something just isn't quite right.

This,

but I still love the song, however i can agree with the above post.

Bumblefoot's piece of shit guitar solo happened, along with the ridiculous overproduction that made this song almost sterile.

This. I wish I could hear what people that love it hear.

The live acoustic version has too much rasp.

I don't have a problem with a single second of anything else on the whole album but Catcher just sounds like a clusterfuck to me. It ought to be piano-led. The melodies are drowned itars that just don't fir or workkkkkfor me.

The album version is far superior to the demo. Bumblefoot's guitarwork on the outro is amazing. The song is near perfect, so long as you listen to it on a high quality stereo or headphones.

True.

Ron already improved the solo when they played the song live, but that's probably even worse: They obviously released half a demo version of the song since Ron's solo clearly wasn't finished. Had he been given more time, we probably wouldn't have to discuss about the quality of Ron's solo on this song that much. Brian May's guitar work was brilliant, of course.

But the song still is one of my two faves on the album. Listen to Brain going all crazy in the final part of the song - brilliant drum work there by the best GN'R drummer ever!!!

The song is simply beautiful ...

Ron already improved the solo when they played the song live, but that's probably even worse: They obviously released half a demo version of the song since Ron's solo clearly wasn't finished. Had he been given more time, we probably wouldn't have to discuss about the quality of Ron's solo on this song that much. Brian May's guitar work was brilliant, of course.

But the song still is one of my two faves on the album. Listen to Brain going all crazy in the final part of the song - brilliant drum work there by the best GN'R drummer ever!!!

It's not the quality of the solo that ruins the song, it's the existence of a loud solo during a part that does not need a solo that ruins it. I can live with Ron's version of Brian May's solo, but all of that bloobloobloodeedeedoodoo shit going on during the "on an ordinary day" part can fuck itself.

Edited by bacardimayne

It's not the quality of the solo that ruins the song, it's the existence of a loud solo during a part that does not need a solo that ruins it. I can live with Ron's version of Brian May's solo, but all of that bloobloobloodeedeedoodoo shit going on during the "on an ordinary day" part can fuck itself.

Heh, I agree. The solo just doesn't fit with the fantastic vocal melody. It's like it has been put together in a hurry. It's like I did it. It keeps me wondering how Slash would have done it (thinking about his solo during the outtro of Coma).

If it was cut down and simple with brians solo it would be great. It the kind of song that shouldn't be overproduced. Sometimes the simpler the better. And I miss Axls aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh aaaaaaahhhhhhhh aaaaaaah&hhhhh aaaaaaaaa wwhen he sings " you decide, I don't have to" and so on. There's too much going on in that song so when I hear the original leak its a breath of fresh air

I like "Catcher" a lot. And I've heard from a couple people I know personally who feel it's one of CD's better efforts.

But I agree I can't help but to think how much better it would have been with JUST piano and a tamed guitar solo.

Check this out ...

The song is a good song. I'm not gonna lie, Like I said in my 45 min you tube video of the album, the 1st time I heard this song I thought it was the cat's meow.

But after like 3 listens it got old... FAST!

But the thing about the song is , its right at the edge of being one of the best songs ever. What happened?

I honestly think if the song just had a Axl singing , A piano, and a guitar for the solo it would have been a huge hit.

when axl took out brian may's solo....catcher lost the buzz

The problem is that, typical of Chi Dem songs, it tries too hard. Its scope is too wide. Axl needs to dramatically simplify things because the window is closing soon. Make an album with Izzy a la Beggars Banquet or modernize yourself, Axl, by doing a guest spot with somebody way different that IS motivated and has momentum going somewhere good. I recommend D'Angelo. Challenge yourself Axl.