Where did they (axl) fuck up with catcher in the rye?

ThomasMeadow

The song is perfect as it is.

Ron's outro solo is beautiful.

End of.

Sorry it sucks, it plain sucks. Listen to the May version and listen to the album version. The demo was leaps and bounds more powerful, more beautiful. It expressed precisely what this song was. The song was ruined by tinkering and Ron's solo and outro. I'm sorry but it is true, Ron's solo isn't touching, it's too frenzied for this song.

• Like 1

The outro would be the best GnR moment to date to me - everything is perfect in there...the solo, the rhythm, Axl's vocals, the lyrics. Axl's vocals are the best I've ever heard from him - the most beautiful, I mean. It's a shame he doesn't sing like that live, but Ron improved the song live anyway...

The song is perfect as it is.

Ron's outro solo is beautiful.

End of.

Sorry it sucks, it plain sucks. Listen to the May version and listen to the album version. The demo was leaps and bounds more powerful, more beautiful. It expressed precisely what this song was. The song was ruined by tinkering and Ron's solo and outro. I'm sorry but it is true, Ron's solo isn't touching, it's too frenzied for this song.

What?!? The album version is light years more powerful. Ron's tone and solo are loud and upfront, really rocking the track. The insane drumming also trumps the demo's drum tracks.

I love the song, but I also think it could've benefited from stripping down the song a bit. There's quite a few things in the song that you'll have some difficult hearing and might not notice unless you know it's there..

Here's the song without Axl's lead vocals and the lead guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZfOpebf-8

If they did a mix without Axl singing in the background through it, people wouldn't call it "overproduced".

I like both solos. It wasn't the solo that ruined it, there's just too much going on. Production-wise I think it's too cluttered.

This. And I like how bombastic the outro is. The problem is that the song doesn't build up to the huge outro, it's just a relentless wall of sound from the start. If it was just piano and Axl (and maybe acoustic guitar) at the beginning before building up to the solo and the outro it'd work much better.

I like both solos. It wasn't the solo that ruined it, there's just too much going on. Production-wise I think it's too cluttered.

This. And I like how bombastic the outro is. The problem is that the song doesn't build up to the huge outro, it's just a relentless wall of sound from the start. If it was just piano and Axl (and maybe acoustic guitar) at the beginning before building up to the solo and the outro it'd work much better.

wall of sound. phil spector's wall of sound? lol

I seriously think people like the Brian May version just because it's Brian May. While he solo was nice, it wasn't a great solo by May's standards, and the rest of the track was extremely dry/empty. The album version is much warmer and more full of life

seriously, brian may's magic is missing on catcher. bumblefoot isn't brian may

I seriously think people like the Brian May version just because it's Brian May. While he solo was nice, it wasn't a great solo by May's standards, and the rest of the track was extremely dry/empty. The album version is much warmer and more full of life

I can honestly tell you that ever since the first time I've heard May's Catcher solo I loved it. So melodic and lyrical, with his distinct sound and every note just sounds right.

It's really a collaboration between 3 people: May, Axl, and the producer and I guess it makes sense cause it fits so well as a solo, it almost sounds like a vocal line.

So no, it's not because it's Brian May.

Having said that, I like Ron's solo too. It has different things I like. Not quite as magical as May's solo tho.

Both versions are cool but I think I prefer the demo over the final studio version. I also miss Pitman's synth solo the way it was.

Edited by Rovim

I can honestly tell you that ever since the first time I've heard May's Catcher solo I loved it. So melodic and lyrical, with his distinct sound and every note just sounds right.

It's really a collaboration between 3 people: May, Axl, and the producer and I guess it makes sense cause it fits so well as a solo, it almost sounds like a vocal line.

So no, it's not because it's Brian May.

Having said that, I like Ron's solo too. It has different things I like. Not quite as magical as May's solo tho.

Both versions are cool but I think I prefer the demo over the final studio version. I also miss Pitman's synth solo the way it was.

i agree. bumblefoot's catcher studio solo isn't magical. brian may's catcher studio solo is rock magic

Have to keep in mind it was a rough mix. There's prob. better versions of it in Axl's vault. I'm sure he was in no rush to leave sunny Malibu. They could do a remix job on it with Brian's solos if they wanted to.

Have to keep in mind it was a rough mix. There's prob. better versions of it in Axl's vault. I'm sure he was in no rush to leave sunny Malibu. They could do a remix job on it with Brian's solos if they wanted to.

there's lots of unreleased chinese democracy material in axl's vault

there's lots of unreleased chinese democracy material in axl's vault

Right where it will most likely stay. It's rather obvious that the record company wasn't too fond of CD's sales, or it would have been released by now. I guess it probably never will be.

As with most songs on CD, great music, completely over produced. Seriously. I love A LOT of the songs off that album and it doesn't stop be from listening to them but the over production is just inSANE.

Edited by Nintari