Axl Rose on Jimmy Kimmel talk show Discussion Thread

ppruks

What I struggle with is if Axl can have an interview with That Metal Show and now Kimmel. Then why did he just flat out so nothing to promote the album?, in whatever form that may have took. I'm not expecting anything substantial from this interview either, BUT you gotta see that this is as good as ever opportunity to announce something... Might not get a better chance than this.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I struggle with is if Axl can have an interview with That Metal Show and now Kimmel. Then why did he just flat out so nothing to promote the album?, in whatever form that may have took. I'm not expecting anything substantial from this interview either, BUT you gotta see that this is as good as ever opportunity to announce something... Might not get a better chance than this.

I believe he stubbornly refused to promote CD since he wasn't happy with the end product.

Expect NOTHING to be announced and anything over that is a plus, thats the way you should look at everything in life and you will be a happy man, expect the worst and then everything is positive

I believe he stubbornly refused to promote CD since he wasn't happy with the end product.

I remember he said he wasn't happy with the booklet, but it would be extremely stupid not to promote your album because of the booklet and Axl is a lot of things but he's not stupid at all

There must have been something else he didin't agree with, maybe it was the Best Buy deal, plus he had problems with Irving Azoff who, according to Axl, was boycotting CD because he was working to get the classic line up reunited.

I don't know what happened, but I don't swallow he didn't promote CD because of a shitty booklet. Besides, it's not the artist's job to promote their album, it's the record company's job!

Edited by PirateChick

I remember he said he wasn't happy with the booklet, but it would be extremely stupid not to promote your album because of the booklet and Axl is a lot of things but he's not stupid at all

There must have been something else he didin't agree with, maybe it was the Best Buy deal, plus he had problems with Irving Azoff who, according to Axl, was boycotting CD because he was working to get the classic line up reunited.

I don't know what happened, but I don't swallow he didn't promote CD because of a shitty booklet. Besides, it's not the artist's job to promote their album, it's the record company's job!

After working on something for a loong time it must be frustrating being rushed in the end such that the product isn't 100 % as you wanted it, especially when you have worked for so many years making something that is supposed to be 100 %. I am thinking about a painter who spends a decade painting his masterwork and then the art gallery puts on an IKEA frame for $5. I don't know if the analogy is relevant, I just have a hunch a perfectionist and petulant guy like Axl might have got a bit angry with how it ended and decided to not be willing to support and promote something to signal that this isn't supposed to have been the end result of all those years and troubles. I dunno. Grasping at straws here to explain his behaviour.

I can understand your skepticism, but I think your post contains some misconceptions.

It's not necessarily "stupid" to stand up for yourself. Money isn't everything. Sometimes costing others money to stand up for yourself is just as satisfying, or moreso, than making money yourself.

To you it's just a booklet, but philosophically, it's more a question of who had final say artistically over the completed and released work. To many musicians, the packaging and artwork is VERY important. A crucial element of any album. Why support the release of an album in a form you don't approve of?

As for whose job it is to promote an album, that is not a cut and dry issue. Sometimes artists are contractually obligated to cooperate with promotion, sometimes they aren't. Every case is different.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out :)

I didn't mean it's stupid to stand up for yourself, I meant there was something else that may have pissed Axl off apart from the booklet. Can't believe it was only because of the booklet...

You are right that artists are obligated to cooperate with promotion, but some people here seem to believe promotion is only Axl's job, because they only blame Axl for the lack of promotion while Best Buy didn't promote CD the way it was expected, nor did the record company IMO

Seems like the Chinese Democracy album cycle is being wrapped up. Doubt anything about the next album would be announced. Maybe in a year or two.

There's going to be an announcement of GNR signing or plans to distribute through a major label before we hear anything. I'd be surprised if he ever self-released anything, but more people download than buy CDs. They still did a respectable job selling it, but if Axl's doing more promoting, it works in GNR's favor for him to be out there talking about new music.

He toured like crazy this year, but we have no idea about debts, how much overhead he has in touring (although you might know about that), and what he has going on during the down time. Might just be living life and not thinking about working on music, but most musicians always have music going on in their heads.

Hopefully he does more promoting. I think the only thing he's hesitant about discussing are questions about the exes, and it's played into why he's avoided interviews. He knows as soon as he goes to Howard Stern, it's going to come up. Best thing to do - tell Erin and Stephanie to call in the show, talk about it, be honest about what happened, have Beta talk about how not a damn thing has happened since, he's not Robert Blake (watch that interview with Piers, I HOPE Axl doesn't wind up like that, broke and writing shit all over his apartment), and it'll be over and done, out of his life.

I don't think we'll get anything about going in the studio until there's some time off from the road and you start reading about Bumblefoot and Tommy spending a lot more time in LA. Not that they have to, they can record anywhere, but if they're going to be doing new songs, I think it's going to be as a group, not split up from how ChiDem went, and DJ being more involved in producing it. There's also the question if they're going to still work with Caram or find someone else.

Whole thing is to sell tickets for vegas residency

Exactly. Last year Prince made an equally rare TV appearance on Lopez Tonight, right before kicking off his 21-night residency in Los Angeles. It's the smart thing to do when you're trying to sell tickets to a bunch of concerts that are all in the same area around the same time.

If you are a Guns N' Roses fan, you just might also want to tune into Conan O'Brien Thursday night for a musical treat.

Why? No members of Guns N' Roses are scheduled to be anywhere near Conan on thursday night.

So GNR fans can't enjoy former members music now? pfft...

If you are a Guns N' Roses fan, you just might also want to tune into Conan O'Brien Thursday night for a musical treat.

Why? No members of Guns N' Roses are scheduled to be anywhere near Conan on thursday night.

You're reading comprehension is off, or nonexistent. Nowhere did I say anything about who can enjoy what. I knew for a fact that no current member of GN'R was going to be anywhere near Conan. I didn't know, or care, that Slash would be.

Anything else?

You're reading comprehension is off, or nonexistent. Nowhere did I say anything about who can enjoy what. I knew for a fact that no current member of GN'R was going to be anywhere near Conan. I didn't know, or care, that Slash would be.

Anything else?

Right....

Anything else?

Right....

Yup.

Anything else?

Right....

Yup.

hey captain reading comprehension, you conveniently added the word "current."

You're reading comprehension is off, or nonexistent. Nowhere did I say anything about who can enjoy what. I knew for a fact that no member of GN'R was going to be anywhere near Conan. I didn't know, or care, that Slash would be.

Anything else?

Right....

Yup.

hey captain reading comprehension, you conveniently added the word "current."

No conveniency about it. I'll take it out if you wish, it'll still mean the exact same thing.

See? :shrugs:

Edited by Damn_Smooth

After working on something for a loong time it must be frustrating being rushed in the end such that the product isn't 100 % as you wanted it, especially when you have worked for so many years making something that is supposed to be 100 %. I am thinking about a painter who spends a decade painting his masterwork and then the art gallery puts on an IKEA frame for $5. I don't know if the analogy is relevant, I just have a hunch a perfectionist and petulant guy like Axl might have got a bit angry with how it ended and decided to not be willing to support and promote something to signal that this isn't supposed to have been the end result of all those years and troubles. I dunno. Grasping at straws here to explain his behaviour.

It is a good analogy for the CD booklet and the "Better" video, but as far as booklets go, they could've recalled what went out or had stacks of them sent out to Best Buy. It might have been a little expensive but nothing that couldn't have been fixed.

When CDs came out, all the artists who worked on covers had a huge uproar over their work being shrunk down, and Lars Ulrich had complained about downloading because you wouldn't get the album art anymore BUT who bought cassettes for the art? Weak argument , and at some point, what you download is going to be as good as listening to the master. The websites have taken the place of album covers as far as lyrics, song content, I mean, Tool puts elaborate artwork out but they also work on the website when the album's out.

I think with Axl, it wasn't just about the artwork, it was that the band lineup was shaken up at the time, and have no idea why they were making a video from 2 year old footage at that time. Why was it a really bad year for him? It can't be just about some booklet.

Pirate Chick -

It may be hard for you and others to believe it could have been because of the booklet, and I'm not claiming for fact that it was, but I find it to be very believable. Axl does not seem like the type that would appreciate being bullied. Look at the legnths he's gone with Guitar Hero. If he wanted a new booklet made and the label refused, I could definitely see him deciding to not participate or cooperate if the issue wasn't fixed.

As for the job the label did promoting the record, well, they really had no incentive to. Best Buy tried their best, but really had gotten hoodwinked by Azoff.

Dalsh -

Are you suggesting that GNR is free from their obligations to UMG?

Duff had said in the book GNR had a 6 album record deal. Unless Axl renegotiated his contract in the past decade, GNR put the 6 out (AFD, Lies/LLAS, UYI I, UYI II, TSI?, ChiDem), plus the obligated live and Greatest Hits. I also remember Axl getting a publishing deal with Iron Maiden's manager when he put together Sanctuary, but that fell through. Not sure if this means Axl's going to be obligated to work with Universal for another decade or he's free to shop the publishing around.