Axl Rose on Jimmy Kimmel talk show Discussion Thread

ppruks

Whole thing is to sell tickets for vegas residency

Exactly. Last year Prince made an equally rare TV appearance on Lopez Tonight, right before kicking off his 21-night residency in Los Angeles. It's the smart thing to do when you're trying to sell tickets to a bunch of concerts that are all in the same area around the same time.

There's also been times when bands that share the same management did this back to back thing at venues - The Who and The Black Crowes with Jimmy Page toured like that, even though they didn't co-headline.

I think Axl and Prince keep tabs on each other as far as the business part of it goes.

I'm sure in the Kimmel interview, they'll talk about Axl going on late, and it works out in a place like Vegas. The midweek shows are the only ones I see Axl struggling to sell tickets on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff had said in the book GNR had a 6 album record deal. Unless Axl renegotiated his contract in the past decade, GNR put the 6 out (AFD, Lies/LLAS, UYI I, UYI II, TSI?, ChiDem), plus the obligated live and Greatest Hits. I also remember Axl getting a publishing deal with Iron Maiden's manager when he put together Sanctuary, but that fell through. Not sure if this means Axl's going to be obligated to work with Universal for another decade or he's free to shop the publishing around.

Typically EPs and cover albums do not count towards the record obligation.

Additionally, we know the contract was renegotiated several times.

The publishing is irrelevant.

It's up to the record company whether they counted Lies as an album or an EP, that can go either way, because half of it was previously released, but that was promoted as an EP.

I just did a search on RIAA - classified it as an album. They have "Short Form Album" for EP's.

I've never heard of a rock artist obligated to record an album of covers, other than John Lennon in the mid 70s.

http://www.rarebeatles.com/roots/roots.htm

Dalsh -

No offense buddy, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Do some research on record contracts and then come talk to me. I've worked in the business for 15 years and I'm trying to explain elementary things to you and instead of listening, you're pulling bizarre things out of your ass. What I'm trying to tell you is that in most record contracts, only proper albums count towards the number of albums you owe the label. There is some discretion involved and sometimes if a label is desperate for a new release, a band can have the leverage to try to get a live album or compilation to count as half an album towards their committment, but generaly, they do not count.

So it's not as simple as adding up the amount of albums a band has released. You have no way of knowing what did and did not count towards the total owed. It's not a question of whether an EP is an album, it's a question of what type of albums the contract specifies will count towards the total owed.

This is totally correct...the more important thing is what kind of advance they are willing to give? To Universal...GN'R is very valuable because they own their catalog. A new album could be profitable on a budget. Axl has the choice of working within this...or trying to break with Universal. If he owes them albums...he could probably walk away for a price, like a second greatest hits or something else.Than, he would be trying to get a bigger advance from a label that would be willing to pay, probably just for them to say they signed GN'R, like the sanctuary deal.

But I'm just speculating based on years of trolling boards...thats my best theory.

It's about time he does some promotion. I just hope we can get a little information on where the band is heading, and if we will see any new music in the near future. It looks like things are definately more stable than they ever have been, and they are definately way more active than anytime in the last decade or so. I just hope it keeps rolling, and we can get some new tunes soon.

wish there was a way of watching it live from the UK ;(

It will be out very soon after airing :)

Exactly.

gunsguy is right. There are SO many people in the GN'R online community that work very hard to make sure fans from all over the world go to see new things as soon as they're available. I'd be surprised if several people aren't uploading it to several online sources almost as soon as it airs so that everyone else can see it.

wish there was a way of watching it live from the UK ;(

It will be out very soon after airing :)

Will you record it? Can you please make a thread "spoiler free"?

If someone does not beat me to it I will open a thread with the link to the interview for sure :thumbsup: