Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

GN'R is not an accustic band...they have a couple songs that work of that way....but for the most part they are too aggressive stylistically to work beyond a song or two that way. its like the sex pistols doing unplugged, it just doesnt work.

The problem tonight wasn't the song arrangements IMO

Ali,

Why does Axl sound bad on an internet broadcast, but the rock singer 15 minutes before him sound fantastic? If it is all about the quality of the internet, shouldn't it effect all the singers?

I don't understand why some of the posters on here defend everything Axl does, no matter what.

An for the guy who used the Greg maddux example, you missed the point.

If you saw maddux get shelled (3 innings and 7 runs) what would you say?

Maddux sucked today.....but he is still one of the best pitchers of all time.

Or

Maddux did great tonight, he is one of the best of all time.

You can still be a HUGE fan and think your favorite had a bad concert (or game). Saying everything is always awesome doesn't make you a better fan.

You completely misunderstand. I never said anything about the quality of the stream. Nothing at all.

Here, let me attempt to be more clear:

I have to say that as someone at the show, the reactions of the group of eight people I was with and all the people around me that I saw who were dancing and cheering, is night and day with the reactions of those on the Internet forums.

Ali

Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

For every one of those you named, there are a hundred that don't. Again, he has dne this before, over and over, but you all come here, bitch again. Everyone is different. But I think we can all agree that the majority of Hard Rock singers at the age of 50 are not what they were when they were in their prime. Let alone acoustically. It is not an excuse man, just the way it is.

I don't go see GNR to see a pitch perfect performance. Never have, and I have been going since 89. If you want a band that sounds like they do on their CD's go see Metallica. No thanks.

You're missing my point completely. It's not about a CD-perfect, rote performance. It's a matter of professional pride to keep the tools that earn you a living in decent condition. Not flawless, not pristine, but make some self-investment. Don't insult the guys that stand there and share that stage next to you. The ones that practice their craft, take it seriously, and actually rehearse like it's their livelihood. He doesn't wanna do it anymore? I don't begrudge the guy, but fucking go home. Stop pulling the wool.

Usually the excuse is that he's doing 2 1/2 - 3 hours a night or that he's rusty from being off the road, and in this case neither one's true. He hasn't been off the road for that long, and it was a 30 minute set.

Curious if they change the setlist. They prob. rehearsed more than the songs they did tonight.

People can say what they want, but no one's forced to pay to see the shows... well, maybe the people at the benefit felt forced to sit through GNR, and I think the band was more focused than usual because it was acoustic and they can't hide mistakes as much.

You completely misunderstand. I never said anything about the quality of the stream. Nothing at all.

Here, let me attempt to be more clear:

I have to say that as someone at the show, the reactions of the group of eight people I was with and all the people around me that I saw who were dancing and cheering, is night and day with the reactions of those on the Internet forums.

Ali

In fairness you probably fainted the second you caught sight of Axl and didn't regain consciousness until the show had finished. You're probably wondering why Axl sounded so much like Neil Young right about now. :rolleyes:

Summary for whoever didn't watch it:

If you don't care anymore Axl, quit. If you do, try harder.

Seriously...for those who have acted like he sounded decent...I can't trust your word ever again...this was damn embarrassing. If Axl can't take 20 minutes a day to run on a treadmill and practice vocals...then fuck him because this is never going to get better...damn pathetic imo and it's not gonna change. WTF?

None of you fuckers are fans if u continuously bash Axl. Yes he struggled. Obvious. I didn't expect a power performance leading in Vegas. Better ain't an easy song to sing. He was missing a few ranges but he'll recover. Always does. Have faith fans. All u cynics. FUCK U. Thanks to GNR for being a part of this event. Not for money. For the kids. Just think how many paid that $5.

Dude, Axl has Fucking given up! He's a fat ass now and after over 2 years of this talk...nothing has changed. He can't subject himself to a fucking treadmill (Even though he apparently wouldn't stay at a hotel w/out one....WTF?) He won't practice W/ the band who is being paid to sound great and they do...Axl is the gdamn weakest link and won't even put in the effort...it's pathetic and the GNR name should be given to Slash or Duff...it's that simple...this is f'ing embarrassing. This pisses me off.

I was at shoreline tonight. I haven't seen the live stream. The show was painful for me, a die-hard Axl fan.

My girlfriend said that Axl sounded like Dr. Rockso the rock n roll clown from metalocalypse. Sadly, she's dead on.

It's just so disappointing. I saw em in Seattle last December and Axl sounded damn good. Did he not do his warm ups? I dunno, but I'm not psyched for Vegas so much anymore. Hopefully he'll reel it in over the next month.

I was at shoreline tonight. I haven't seen the live stream. The show was painful for me, a die-hard Axl fan.

My girlfriend said that Axl sounded like Dr. Rockso the rock n roll clown from metalocalypse. Sadly, she's dead on.

It's just so disappointing. I saw em in Seattle last December and Axl sounded damn good. Did he not do his warm ups? I dunno, but I'm not psyched for Vegas so much anymore. Hopefully he'll reel it in over the next month.

What did the people in crowd think? Did they have the same reaction that you did for the most part?

Just got home from Shoreline... Jack White made it really hard to follow him, he was brilliant.

I was very excited to see Guns (even though the 100% acoustic setting doesn't suit them), and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The band sounded WAY too low, guitars were quiet, drums weren't very loud -- Axl was the most audible player and he wasn't up to par tonight, unfortunately. Looks like he didn't prepare and just winged it after being off the road for 3 months, which is disenchanting for sure.

I went nuts when I heard "You're Crazy" start, shortly after though, I noticed his voice was flat. Also, forgetting lines in Jungle. Better sounded excellent instrumentally, but again Axl was the weakest link. He did sound good on Patience though.

The guy needs to take this stuff more seriously. Tomorrow night will probably be a better show than tonight, but still, a little preparation goes a long way.

What did the people in crowd think? Did they have the same reaction that you did for the most part?

The crowd wasn't nearly as critical as we were.its worth noting that a lot of people left after Jack White. The reaction from the GnR performance was A lot of people were saying, "he sounds good, but not like he used to." In fairness, GnR got a much bigger crowd response than Jack White and The Flaming Lips.

I'm high right now and I just want you to know that I'm pissed at the dude that proved that the song under paradise city what just a Neil young song and not the mystery song that it was for a few minutes. Shades of the mystery this place used to have with before CD. I miss that. And this statements feels like it took me a a few hours to write. God this post seemed so smart when I started it. But when I saw the mystery song I was extremely happy then when the guy proved it wasn't I was almost in tears

Damn, Axl has lost it again. Hope he finds his mojo before Vegas.

Gotta laugh at everyone saying he should warm up and prepare more. How the fuck do you know what he does and doesnt do before a show? Could just be that the years have taken the toll on his vocal chords (judging by his overall appearance this seems to be the case). The guy hasn't aged well and maybe we just need to get used to these kind of performances as he boosts his bankroll.

I'm high right now and I just want you to know that I'm pissed at the dude that proved that the song under paradise city what just a Neil young song and not the mystery song that it was for a few minutes. Shades of the mystery this place used to have with before CD. I miss that. And this statements feels like it took me a a few hours to write. God this post seemed so smart when I started it. But when I saw the mystery song I was extremely happy then when the guy proved it wasn't I was almost in tears

Sorry for being that dude :tongue2: more sorry for not hearing that song (or a new song) but I enjoyed the show.

Could have been better but listening the big MP3 now one more time....it wasn't that bad.

Some ups, some downs....no surprise being it the 1st show in times.

:rofl-lol: