I have a theory as to why Axl doesn't want to release new music with NuGuns.

Towelie

Didn't Robin refuse the chance to re-join NIN in 2005/6?

Must've been a hard decision for him to make, especially when it was evident that he loved his role in Guns. I guess he'd been part of the project for 11 years at that point and I'm sure he'd heard all the promises of "It's coming out this year" too many times. His work on Chinese Democracy is fantastic.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I disliked Robin as a replacement for Slash.. I give it up to him for sticking in there as long as he did. Hes tagged to step in and be a guitar player for GNR...thats huge...that means the oppourtunity to achieve superstar fame and recognition. It means world wide acclaim not to even mention the ability to make unlimited amounts of money. It means tours of epic proportions and access to jamming with some of the best rock has to offer....Did any of those things occour? Perhaps his whole gig was just to be a transitional player and hes content with being a touring guitarist /sidekick to Trent or Axl without all the hoopla of being "Slashes replacement"

Where is Robin now and what is he doing?

Robin was also on salary with NIN. Maybe Trent threatened to take Robin to court if he didn't do the "farewell" dates.

It sounded like it was a major inconvenience but nothing like how Bucket left. I think Robin, Brain, Izzy, Paul, and Duff could wind up being on the next CD.

Why would Robin "owe" Axl? He helped put the songs together, did more studio work than he EVER did with Trent.

Tommy Stinson was a member of Soul Asylum but he couldn't commit to the live dates. I thought he was going to join up with that band mid-tour, but I guess they decided to part ways. That just opens the door for Westerberg, which would def. make him some good money if they do festival gigs. We may see GNR and The 'Mats playing the same festivals next year, but I doubt Tommy can think that far ahead. But if it came down to it, I bet Duff would get the call to cover him. Axl might even enjoy having him back in for a while.

But as far as new music, I just think the amount of time and money spent into creating new music - Axl got the wind knocked out of his sails 5 years ago with the lackluster response towards it. Maybe he wanted it to be "the great unreleased album" that no one would ever get to hear, but just from the things he said, he wanted to release it.

There's different opinions on what happened, and the truth's somewhere in the middle.

Chinese Democracy was a fucked up process all around. If you want to assign blame/responsibility, I'd guess about seven or eight years of it from Axl, another seven or eight from the producers and the label, and the extra odd years being all the other people involved, Robin and whatnot.

Wow, people are now blaming ROBIN FINCK for the lack of new Axl music?!

Axl will never, ever release another new song, ever again. He's done, he's finished. He's touring to make money as a nostalgia act; there's far, FAR more money in playing AFD hits for casual crowds than playing new garbage for the handful of mygnrforum members who actually care.

Why on earth would Axl release more new music?

My friend gave me a free ticket to a Motely Crue and Def Leppard show last year, and these guys are playing their nostalgia songs. No one wants to hear anything new, aside from a very few people. This is where Axl is right now: complete irrelevance. He's a nostalgia act.

99.999% of the people who buy a ticket to his show are there to hear Sweet Child o Mine, NOT Scraped.

so why the fuck are we told by the other members that a new album will come eventually? if Axl came on here and told us that there wouldnt be another album i'm sure most of us would just accept it and move on.. why get our hopes up? the people that want new music want it a whole fuckin lot and i think all the patience and support that we show for Axl is deserving of at least a few new songs or even the unfinished democracy leftovers

So people keep coming back to the live shows in the hoes they may get treated to "new material" which the band always give cryptic references to a surprise and the crowd for so and so show is in for a special treat, blah blah blah

I think he is afraid of releasing new music and then watching it all fall apart again. Robin leaving smack bang around the time ChiDem was released was an incredibly selfish and inconvenient move to make and must've left a bitter taste in Axl's mouth. It was difficult enough releasing and promoting ChiDem once Bucket had quit, but when two of the albums key players have jumped ship, any kind of promotion on Axl's part would've felt pretty redundant. Imagine filming music videos with BBF or DJ pretending to play the parts of Finck or BH - it would've looked cringeful.

I think by keeping the current band as a touring lineup he feels safer, in the knowledge that any personnel changes in the band won't negatively effect the bands credibility/future plans.

guys ...u put way to much thinking to this.

Axl was always a difficult guy to get in the studio, he is a difficult guy to work with, everyone knows that. He wants to go to the studio but he'll go when he's ready...there's nothing stopping him it's just that he is busy living is life . When he really feel the need to go and write, record and put an album out he will.

The band doesn't actually exist, it's just Axl's show going on. The minute Axl's paychecks stop coming there's no more 'band'... People tend to forget about that, like if it was the same as back when Gn'R actually had real band members.

Axl is an artist and he believes he's an artist. Artists create. He is the real deal. I just think he's not inspired at this point in his life. Life goes in cycles. Those saying there'll be no more music aren't giving Axl or the situation enough credit or patience. He certainly ain't going to put an album together because we want it. Doesn't work that way.

He wants to!

He just works on his time scheduling. They're already writting new material and working on what's gonna come out on the next record. We just have to hold on and wait.

Edited by AndreCC

Rio 2001 is the only time Axl seemed willing to come out and go, this is what we're doing, deal with it. Since then it's all been vague notions of what they're aiming for and grievances with how things in the recent past went. It's pretty amazing that CD came and went and they've toured consistently and it still doesn't quite feel like whatever Axl was planning has been fully put into place. Maybe there never was an aim other than getting back out there and doing what he feels like.

Guest NGOG

any personnel changes in the band won't negatively effect the bands credibility/future plans.

I disagree. Studio records do less to solidfy the band's image than touring. Because touring carries a visual representation as well as audio.

With regards Axl's 'fear', again, I disagree. If 14 years albumless, cancelled tours, fired managers and a self-inflicted silence when Chinese Democracy eventually did drop tell us anything; it's that Axl doesn't suffer from an irrational fear.

Label issues/incorporating the new band into the songs is the more likely explanation.

Edited by NGOG

Axl has to know that the time for CD passed him by. If he was able to put the album out in '99, things would be very different. After the reaction to CD particularly in the U.S., what motivation is there for Axl to ever release music again?

Unfortunately, it seems like Chinese Democracy may have been the last album we get from Axl Rose. Some days, I think there's a chance we might get a new album. Someday's I just see Axl and his band becoming more and more of a nostalgia act playing hit's that 3/4 of the current band had fuck all to do with. It's unfortunate and sad when you think that Axl basically wasted a decade of his life and now he's 50 and his voice isn't getting any better. He doesn't seem to have the drive and fire he once had to push the new band as a actual rock band and they'll been negated to a cover band.

I hope we get new music, I really do. Even if it's the Chinese Democracy leftover, it's new to us and that's all that matters.

Remember Merck commenting on Axl having to summon the muse?

I think he was hinting at what we all know now - he's a busted flush creatively. There isn't even enough leftovers for a new album and Axl hasn't done shit since.

No it was a cunty thing to expect him to waste a decade of his prime on one album.

As much as you'd like Axl to shoulder the blame entirely, the likes of Finck coming and going throughout the albums conception undoubtedly played it's part in the album taking so long to be completed and released.

And then for Finck to walk just as the album finally dropped pretty much fucked everything up in terms of promo and touring. He was unreliable and couldn't decide whether he wanted to be in GNR or NIN. Karmas a bitch though, as he's now gone back to being a nobody.

You're delusional to blame Finck. Not that his leaving didn't have an effect on Axl, but to go as far as to say it was cunty of him to leave? Do you realize how frustrating it must be to be in a "band" that NEVER releases new music? How long is one person expected to wait, honestly?

I suppose it is all Slash's fault that Axl has went through six producers since the creation of nugnr in 1998.

As hard as it is to believe, some people (see Flayer in this topic) actually do blame the label and/or Slash.

The label is the bad guy. They ONLY gave Axl 14 million dollars and over a decade to complete the album.........clearly, he deserved more money and more time. I think if the label had given Axl 5 more million dollars, five more years and the use of three more producers, then Axl would have put out an album that would rival Appetite.

I also want to add that perhaps Finck had something called integrity? Maybe he didn't want to waste his years playing Slash's guitar riffs? Just because guys like DJ are OK taking a paycheck playing cover tunes these days and never working on a new album doesn't mean shit. To say "What the fuck has Finck done since leaving Gn'R?" is silly. What the hell has Axl done since Finck left Gn'R?

We are kind of assuming they have awesome material/are capable.

Given that some people dont like CD so much, maybe there just isnt enough for a GNR album.

I think they can tour a few more times without new stuff.

On one hand maybe yes. But what if what Bucket and Finck really wasnt GNR sounding. Like shacklers or silkworms say. So theres stuff but its not really going to work today. If they put it out in 2002 maybe as a triple album. But now its a bust especially with those guys gone.

Maybe label wants Axl n Dj album. Not some industrial hip hop songs fron 2000?

im pinning hopes on Fortus material plus Axl songs. Maybe a Finck song.

Edited by wasted