2006 vs 2010

Black Sabbath

2006 vs 2010  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Updated with a poll.

See, unfortunately not only was I not a fan in 06, but I was also too young to really try to go to any shows and appreciate them. I could have gone with my parents, but it just wouldn't have been the same.

And in 2010, the band didn't tour the US. But, I loved the shows I attended in 2011.

How old were you in 2006 Sabbath? ;

I turned 13 in 2006.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember all the shit Axl took for his look in 2006 around the forums, people calling him things like the predator and he's bald,fat,and doesn't look like Axl.I can't remember what show it was, he wore the long black trench coat and that was supposedly to hide his gigantic gerth.

2010 was extremly amazing. I was so excited as a fan. 2006 and 2010 are just right there on the top with the greatest Illusions tours. Actually, 2006 and 2010 highlights were the best concerts by Axl and GNR ever. Obviously there are a few points outside of the line like Buenos Aires 93 and Rio 2001, but overall, 2006 and 2010 were the best live years of this band. I'm so glad I was able to catch at least one 2010 concert, which was amazing. This is the only reason why I voted 10 instead of 06, because I was there. But honestly, I can't decide.

In 2006, Axl was in better shape, had Brain and Robin, the band played more shows and the new album was still on the horizon meaning there was still hope that it would achieve success.

In 2010, the band performed in more exotic places that they hadn't been to in ages (the Latin America tour and Middle East shows were the first since 1993) and while the album wasn't very successful, at least the band finally had a record out to support the credibility they had at the time, and while Axl's voice in 2006 was great for the most part, I feel like it was better in 2010.

It's a tough call, but I'm gonna have to give it to 2010.

In 2006 the band was still relevant, Axl was getting invites to stuff, they were doing a lot for the fans like with the Hammerstein presale, etc.

2010 was weird because Axl magically had his voice back to 100% for the first time in 16 years. It was Axl's tour of redemption after the album flopped.

So 2006 was the better year, but if I could see any one show I would have went to London 2010. London was kind of Axl's last hurrah as a performer. It's been all downhill since.

I was at Toronto 2010 - his voice was fucking fantastic.

2006 wins so bad. 2006 Axl is what 2002 Axl should have been. It's what we all need. If you look at '92 or '93 Axl and then at '06 Axl, you know it's right.

This totally. He looked so badass in 06. The RockAm Ring concerts are some of my favourite ever. I watch them a lot and they make me realise when Axl is on form you don't give a shit who else is in the band because you are only watching him.

Also looking into releasing the record in 2006, purely on a level of record industry sales, it would have done better. I'll let people in on a fact; almost everyone has heard at least part of Chinese Democracy. Reality is however, 2008 was one of the first year were we saw MASSIVE changes from the last people still buying CDs and legally downloading to torrents.

Had the record been released in 2006, before leaks, it could have sold substantially better than it did in 2008. I'm not, by any means, saying it would have been a runaway success but certainly would have gotten more attention coming out the gate than it did. Not to mention that in early 2006 it seemed Universal was still slightly interested in releasing the record itself instead of dumping on someone like Best Buy.

Axl's best vocals are probably from some IEM mix show from 2007, someone will have it. I can't remember where its from but it's 2007 and it was fuckin killer, a lot of people forget about the 07 shows.

Tokyo 2007!

Here's some examples:

Edited by TheSeeker

The London 2010 gigs were indeed something special. The 2nd night with Duff is probably my favourite gig I've been to ever, tied with L'Arc. Was sorting out old stuff the other day and came across the pick I got from that show (never thought I'd get a VR pick from an Axl show... :P ).

2006 Axl looked fucking badass, and he seemed to run around a bit more, but people forget he was pretty energetic in 2010 at times (more so than '09 and way more than past couple of years). I remember him jumping up and down during Better at a few of the '10 gigs I went to. I liked those garish jackets Axl had in '10, only he could pull off clothes that outrageous. Sad how he's buried himself in those weird leather jackets recently. I can only judge '06 from YouTube videos, and there are some amazing ones, but the best '10 gigs surpass the best '06 ones in my opinion.

If Axl still sounded like he did in '10 I'd have booked tickets to Texas for the end of this month.

Updated with a poll.

See, unfortunately not only was I not a fan in 06, but I was also too young to really try to go to any shows and appreciate them. I could have gone with my parents, but it just wouldn't have been the same.

And in 2010, the band didn't tour the US. But, I loved the shows I attended in 2011.

How old were you in 2006 Sabbath? ;

I turned 13 in 2006.

Thanks...now I really feel ancient :)

Another thing to consider is that, while we had a good guitarist in Finck in place of a bad guitarist in Ashba, Bumblefoot is much more refined in his GNR playing than he was in 06. I'm a big Bumblefoot supporter, but even I won't deny that most of his solos in '06 were no more than mindless shred.

Edited by bacardimayne

2006 wins so bad. 2006 Axl is what 2002 Axl should have been. It's what we all need. If you look at '92 or '93 Axl and then at '06 Axl, you know it's right.

good point

Man, i looked back these 2006 (and even 2007) recordings and Axl was badass! A true rockstar. CD should came out in 2006 or 2007 (or even 2002).

Eh, it's hard to choose

2010 was better vocally, imo

2006 was better from Axl's look aspect

but we hear a full set, with more songs in 2010, so i vote 2010

Yeah, 2010 was great considering the awful vocals since Rio 2011. I feel lucky I saw Axl that year.

I think I reflect on 2006 more kindly for some reason but I know that I left the gigs I saw in 2010 far more impressed than I did in 2006.

In 2006 it felt a bit like they were still finding their feet. They had some real high points but by 2010 they were a juggernaut of a live band.