June 6th, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Bowl

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what's up with Axl. He goes to further lengths than anybody alive to assure others that he isnt a poser, then he hires DJ Ashba. wtf.

He can't be held responsible for the actions of others, no more than he could control Slash and Duff. At least Ashba doesn't do embarrassing drunken interviews and turn up legless rambling on incoherently, and yes being posers, at worldwide-televised award shows like the AMAs -- that was FAR more embarrassing and damaging to the band.

Slash and Duff are cool. Deej is terrible.

So yeah, Gn'RSkidRow1 and I went and were able to get in as everyone knows. Show was good, albeit shorter than usual due to Axl getting sick during the show. 4tus was sick too and that was pretty obvious to anyone who was up as close as we were. I ended up getting front-row-center and Skid got front row a couple people down in front of 4tus. The stage was so small you could only have like 20-25 people on the front, and there was no barrier so we were literally leaning on the stage. It was pretty crazy when Axl would put his boot up and it was less than a foot from my face. I actually flinched a few times and moved back when I thought I was going to get bumped by a guitar or even Axl's mic stand at one point.

There were times where I could clearly make out Axl's voice and he definitely sounded good. Was bringing out some rasp for songs like Better and Civil War.

The band was having a blast, running all around the stage and getting even closer to the audience and stuff, and even Axl said at one point that it was the most fun he had had on stage in awhile (that was around the time he was talking about not feeling well).

Fight almost broke out during one of the last songs, I'm thinking Nightrain maybe? Can't remember. It was one shove away from being a full-on fist fight and Axl had his eye on them but they calmed down and he joked "Now let's calm down, boys." Although he felt sick, he was in a chipper mood.

It was weird when they did SCOM and then DJ's solo. I thought I had dodged the bullet of the solo, but no such luck.

I ended up get 2 picks. One from Tommy that he had whipped at my and hit me in the neck with, that I wasn't able to find until after the show, and a 4tus pick that Skid was able to get for me. I also ended up getting one of the set lists at the end. I yelled up to Tom and asked if I could get the set list and he turns to one of the other guys on stage and easily says "Get that setlist and give it to that guy there" and points to me. Easy enough. But you would think the set list was from a totally different show though lol It's the standard set list, but instead of CD they obviously opened with You're Crazy, and they also played The Seeker and Used To Love Her, which aren't on the set list at all. But, on the line for Estranged it says "Estranged OR Civil War", which they played both last night, but neither Catcher or Street of Dreams, which have the same thing - "Catcher OR Street of Dreams".

All in all, I say it was definitely worth the $160 paid. We got a cool little story to go along with the whole day, the experience was more intimate than any of the UCAP shows, and we got to see Pitman have the time of his life DJing, playing some of his remixes, and doing boob-shots off of some hot blonde. It was amazing. Also, Jarmo was standing around at the time and Chris yells down from the DJ stand and just says "Jarmoo!" and the whole act was hilarious. Then a few minutes later Jarmo is walking by and Chris looks at him and says "Fuck you!" and Jarmo had a bit of an awkward look on his face, and it was funny, but I kind of felt bad for him at the same time. But Chris leaned down and said something that I think was along the lines of him saying he was sorry or joking. Chris gave us so many high-fives and hand shakes. It was so funny. I'd love to party with that dude.

I got some decent shots with my phone, so here ya go guys:

2ur19gw.jpg

fwr5vq.jpg

adhnqp.jpg

2rgkyep.jpg

dlg7pd.jpg

2powg8g.jpg

ixgwv6.jpg

2r2yphw.jpg

foupz.jpg

6qlfz4.jpg

Random Tidbits:

Fortus' solo spot was one of the best parts of the show. I mean that as a compliment to Fortus.

At one point, a girl got on her boyfriend's shoulders and flashed the stage, full 80's style.

DJ really can't play fucking anything. He sounded awful the entire night. Particularly cringeworthy were his solo, the opening of SCOM, TIL solo, and KOHD FFS. It's obvious to me that he cares much more about mugging for the crowd than playing his instrument well. I can't take a band that has DJ Ashba in it seriously.

I don't know when Axl started feeling ill. Like I said, his voice was very good for about the first 6 songs.

If he got ill during the show, I guess he just fucked up You're Crazy. Voice was good, but he sang the "Hey, boy, where you coming from" verse twice. He was also singing about carrying "the cross of genocide" during Civil War, and he came in at the end of Better too early during the na-na-na's and had to start the final verse over once he realized his mistake. All of these were early on in the show.

Before he mentioned anything about not feeling well, he said something like, "This is not the type of show I was expecting when I showed up today, but that's alright." He didn't explain what he meant by that.

There are plenty of cool shows to see in NYC all the time for much less than $100. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Do I feel ripped off? I don't know. It's not like I expected new songs or a variation of the set list, although a track or two that they don't usually play would have been nice and, IMO, not asking too much of Axl. But this is a nostalgia act through and through, and if you decide to spend money on them, you need to understand that. So as a fan, I'm disappointed by the same old fucking songs again, but as a consumer, how could I have expected anything else for my money from these guys?

No Catcher was unfortunate. I was expecting to hear it.

Do I completely believe Axl's sickness story? I don't know. He's like the fucking boy who cried wolf to me at this point. It's always like, "OK, Axl, what's preventing you from doing your job well today?" But he did look like he was struggling, especially toward the end. But why the fucked up lyrics early in the show? And would it have been any better if he weren't such a fat fuck? And how do I know he wasn't just up drinking late, not taking care of himself as usual?

Questlove was good pre-show. Didn't stick around for Pitman.

BBF is a good guitarist but has no stage presence.

Tommy looks old as fuck.

Axl wore the disguise all night.

Why are you even calling yourself a fan of this group. You don't like any of them, you don't like the price of the ticket, Axl's fat, Tommy's old (so will you be one day), you don't believe Axl was sick after eating something from a truck stop (I take it you haven't travelled much around the country/world) - have you gone to work with vomiting & diarreah & done a top job? Or are you just starting out in your first job so haven't had much life experience? Your ticket could have gone to those who were aching to be there but couldn't get a ticket. Go see The Wiggles, might be more your agegroup, price & source of entertainment.

Whoa whoa whoa. Just because he's critical doesn't mean he is a bad fan. Obviously he likes the songs, but it seems that he - like many people - would prefer if the band switched it up every once in awhile. Get off his back.

FFS, I'm going to start blaming illness for every time I fuck up too. It seems to work for Axl. Maybe he should be tested for HIV. :shrugs:

Yes! It's been like two times now in 700+ concerts!! GRRRRRRR!

I know Soulmonster, it is so irritating. When travelling you are exposed to so many bugs with weather changes, strange food, strange water & singing puts a strain on your throat & vocal cords. Yet Axl is travelling in all climates, eating on the run while travelling from places that might not meet hygenic standards but still gets up on stage & does his best regardless. If he was sick he should have cancelled, if he cancelled he is a jerk cos he did that 20yrs ago - probably before half of this forum were even born. Give him a break, $150 is a bargain considering we paid more for front row seats at a 23,000 people show. :anger:

Whoa whoa whoa. Just because he's critical doesn't mean he is a bad fan. Obviously he likes the songs, but it seems that he - like many people - would prefer if the band switched it up every once in awhile. Get off his back.

Sorry Daria, just tired of the same old complaints about the same people. Saying Tommy is old - he's not old & he can't stay young forever. Saying Axl is fat, he's not fat from the photos recently taken but he obviously is bigger than in his 20/30s - that's normal & he does like his drinks & parties. Not believing he was sick yet someone else has said both Axl and Fortus were sick. Never says nice things about DJ or BBF, I saw them in March & thought they were great. If he likes the songs & not the band then maybe just stay home & listen to his cd collection rather than pulling the band to pieces all the time. He's so lucky to have seen them so close.

Ok, off his back now.

Sorry Daria, just tired of the same old complaints about the same people. Saying Tommy is old - he's not old & he can't stay young forever. Saying Axl is fat, he's not fat from the photos recently taken but he obviously is bigger than in his 20/30s - that's normal & he does like his drinks & parties. Not believing he was sick yet someone else has said both Axl and Fortus were sick. Never says nice things about DJ or BBF, I saw them in March & thought they were great. If he likes the songs & not the band then maybe just stay home & listen to his cd collection rather than pulling the band to pieces all the time. He's so lucky to have seen them so close.

Ok, off his back now.

See I think that is a huge problem with certain people on this forum. Not you specifically, you're benign but the Axl defense squad. This guy went to a show, (since the defense squad always bitches about how people who don't go to the shows can't complain) and gives his honest account. Then you have people like Soulmonster try to discredit him because not everything is glowing. Just a classic case of Soulmonster being himself again. It's one person's opinion who was AT THE SHOW. So irritating. Edited by Dariablue

Ok, off his back now.

See I think that is a huge problem with certain people on this forum. Not you specifically, you're benign but the Axl defense squad. This guy went to a show, (since the defense squad always bitches about how people who don't go to the shows can't complain) and gives his honest account. Then you have people like Soulmonster try to discredit him because not everything is glowing. Just a classic case of Soulmonster being himself again. It's one person's opinion who was AT THE SHOW. So irritating.

Yeah I take your point. It would be nice to see him say what he enjoyed rather than didn't all the time. Of course he can complain about the performance but I guess I get on my high horse when personal issues are brought up that can't be helped.

Apart from being personal his review as he sees it from their overall performance is welcomed. No problem with that, just saying Tommy is old is not conducive to his playing or stage performance.

I know nobody's perfect & I know they stuff up their show at times but just to be there so close would be a dream for so many of us.

STOP BITCHING AND PAY ATTENTION TO MY POST THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS

Did you make one?

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: That nearly made me spit my coffee out - too funny.

Great review & what excellent photos you took Black Sabbath, being so close like that it's a good job Axl didn't suddenly throw up. That would be a photo in motion wouldn't it?? :nervous::nervous:

He can't be held responsible for the actions of others, no more than he could control Slash and Duff. At least Ashba doesn't do embarrassing drunken interviews and turn up legless rambling on incoherently, and yes being posers, at worldwide-televised award shows like the AMAs -- that was FAR more embarrassing and damaging to the band.

Slash/Duff were in their early 20's at that point when the AMA's happened, still kids. It is what people expected of young guys in a super popular rock n' roll band.

That is not nearly as embarrassing as a 41 year old man who still dresses like he is an emo tween that just walked out of hot topic.

2r2yphw.jpg

Looooooove this pic, BS!

I got pretty close to Axl at one of the Melbourne shows earlier this year, but not THAT close! (although I came within a hair's breadth of touching his hand from his car after the show and I screamed at him and he said "Hi!" and I went all giddy and nearly fainted :lol:)

Great account of the show, sooooo wish I'd been there to experience it too. Very jealous! <_<

(maybe lucky I wasn't because I probably would have tried to touch and grope him and would have got chucked out for being 'inappropriate')

Random Tidbits:

Fortus' solo spot was one of the best parts of the show. I mean that as a compliment to Fortus.

At one point, a girl got on her boyfriend's shoulders and flashed the stage, full 80's style.

DJ really can't play fucking anything. He sounded awful the entire night. Particularly cringeworthy were his solo, the opening of SCOM, TIL solo, and KOHD FFS. It's obvious to me that he cares much more about mugging for the crowd than playing his instrument well. I can't take a band that has DJ Ashba in it seriously.

I don't know when Axl started feeling ill. Like I said, his voice was very good for about the first 6 songs.

If he got ill during the show, I guess he just fucked up You're Crazy. Voice was good, but he sang the "Hey, boy, where you coming from" verse twice. He was also singing about carrying "the cross of genocide" during Civil War, and he came in at the end of Better too early during the na-na-na's and had to start the final verse over once he realized his mistake. All of these were early on in the show.

Before he mentioned anything about not feeling well, he said something like, "This is not the type of show I was expecting when I showed up today, but that's alright." He didn't explain what he meant by that.

There are plenty of cool shows to see in NYC all the time for much less than $100. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Do I feel ripped off? I don't know. It's not like I expected new songs or a variation of the set list, although a track or two that they don't usually play would have been nice and, IMO, not asking too much of Axl. But this is a nostalgia act through and through, and if you decide to spend money on them, you need to understand that. So as a fan, I'm disappointed by the same old fucking songs again, but as a consumer, how could I have expected anything else for my money from these guys?

No Catcher was unfortunate. I was expecting to hear it.

Do I completely believe Axl's sickness story? I don't know. He's like the fucking boy who cried wolf to me at this point. It's always like, "OK, Axl, what's preventing you from doing your job well today?" But he did look like he was struggling, especially toward the end. But why the fucked up lyrics early in the show? And would it have been any better if he weren't such a fat fuck? And how do I know he wasn't just up drinking late, not taking care of himself as usual?

Questlove was good pre-show. Didn't stick around for Pitman.

BBF is a good guitarist but has no stage presence.

Tommy looks old as fuck.

Axl wore the disguise all night.

Excellent Magisme. Incredible review. :thumbsup:

Ok, off his back now.

See I think that is a huge problem with certain people on this forum. Not you specifically, you're benign but the Axl defense squad. This guy went to a show, (since the defense squad always bitches about how people who don't go to the shows can't complain) and gives his honest account. Then you have people like Soulmonster try to discredit him because not everything is glowing. Just a classic case of Soulmonster being himself again. It's one person's opinion who was AT THE SHOW. So irritating.

Huh? I applauded Magisme's review. You must be mistaking me for someone else. What I did do, though, was question magisme's surreal questioning of Axl's disease.

Mama P5 is so cool!

Looking at the Youtube videos they still gave a great show despite the health problems.

In the WTTJ Axl was already singing a bit differently than normally.

Richard and Dj looked both very serious, so I guess Dj was not feeling too good either.

In the video of his solo the audience seemed to like it a lot.

The best thing about charging 150 € is that it keeps most of the whiners away

which creates a great concert experience for those who are there to have a good time.

The band is in mature stage and it is headed by Axl. There is not that much need for

“expensive CEO type manager” as in telling the band what is needed to do to get

media attention and record deals.

Sick or not - great songs, musicians and a legendary singer: the best rock show there is.

I hope the food poisoning is healing well and it is not the type which takes them to ICU

and leaves them weak for months.

She has consumed the kool-aid.....and it tasted very good to her.

And your comment about the price keeping the whiners away is one of the more idiotic posts in this forum over the past three months.

I was once close to the stage next to this muscular guy at a GNR concert

and we exchanged a few polite sentences before the concert started.

It turned out he hated GNR music except one or two songs and he made sure everyone knew it.

He was a big party pooper all evening.

He was there because he got the ticket for free from his friend and

he had nothing better to do that evening. When we have to pay for something with our own money

and the kind of amount that means something to us, we think twice if it is worth it.

I could go to 100 concerts and write an honest review how I hated every minute of everything in it.

The other 19 997 people there might have loved it. We all just like different things.

It's great that this $150 show for the hardcore fan didn't just turn out to be a shorter, shittier version of the UCAP tour with the songs mixed up. Way to go Team Brazil. Great job at not running this fine band into the ground. I think I could fit about 5 people into my basement after the band sets up. Maybe I should contact them so they can show their appreciation for their top 5 fans. Free doughnuts for Axl if they accept.

You sound fat.

I don't think I would call him fat, but Axl definitely has a gut on him. That was pretty evident last night.

I found that the average weight of US males between 50 and 60 years is 92 kg. Axl doesn't weigh that much. As for having a gut, most males at that age do.