June 6th, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Bowl

Tickets for the East Rutherford show in 2011 were over $100, as we're various UCAP show. Depends on the area and venue. The price is hardly that outstanding.

And LOL they are not "in bowling alley areas". It's one show dude! :lol:

I don't see the big deal, honestly. It's a unique venue that happens to have a bowling alley. If it was a House of Blues venue, no one would be saying anything. Hell, if it was any other club that held 600 people, people wouldn't even be acting the same way. But, since it has the words "bowling alley" attached to it, people go crazy and think it's ridiculous.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary Clark Jr played the bowling alley? No way?! Well, yeah, if it's a good enough venue for him, it's certainly good enough for Guns.

Have you ever seen the man play guitar?

He is an amazing guitar player, not some talent-less hack, and as such deserving of more than some sarcastic and flippant remark.

Ali

Gary Clark Jr played the bowling alley? No way?! Well, yeah, if it's a good enough venue for him, it's certainly good enough for Guns.

He is an amazing guitar player, not some talent-less hack, and as such deserving of more than some sarcastic and flippant remark.

Ali

Can't believe this but I agree. Gary Clark Jr is awesome.

But are they performances or concerts Ali? Both? If not how do you tell one from the other? Please clarify this.

Apparently, labeling a four song set as a performance, even though anytime you get up on stage in front of live audience and do a rendition of a song you are performing, is misleading. Nonetheless, you'll have to ask Groghan that question as he's the one making a distinction irrespective of the meaning of the word I used being correct.

Ali

Well, I guess it would depend if it was billed, advertised and sold as a kanye west show like this is being billed as a gnr show @150 a pop. Doesn't sound like it, but kanye should change his name to mr. Kartrashian

Understood, but the reason why I pointed that out in the first place was because this place is not just some bowling alley like in The Big Lebowski. It is a club that regularly has live music performances. Gary Clark Jr. (who was at the most recent Bridge School Benefit like GN'R) also performed there last year during election night as well (for a Sandy relief show). So, it's not just some "bowling alley". That was why I brought up some of the people who have performed there, even if not for full headlining sets.

Ali

Why are you so anti-bowling alley?

Lots of people enjoy a night out of bowling. And the owners and people working there are making an honest living.

Obviously there is a difference between a band having a concert and selling tickets for $150 compared to a company renting the room for a party, and one of the guests performing. Only the most dedicated "must defend/praise Axl at all costs" people realize the obvious difference. But Axl is involved, so we must go out of way to justify the band playing there.

How about this Ali.

Awesome. Amazing. Greatest band ever. Congrats to Team Brazil for somehow securing this most prestigious and legendary venue. The Who, Led Zep and The Beatles al got their start by playing at the bowling alley. Usually bands have to pay for the honor to perform on the stage, which is why GnR is charging $150 for the tickets. Rumor also has it that this was the real place that joseph and mary hid the baby jesus back in the day.

I don't need to justify the band playing there. I will, however, correct someone when they ignorantly refer to it as a bowling alley, when it is in fact a club and a live music venue. That was the point I was trying to make, not this non-sensical tangent you've gone off on about comparing a full headlining set to an impromptu 4 song set or a 7 song set at a benefit concert. It is completely 100% irrelevant to my point.

Tickets for the East Rutherford show in 2011 were over $100, as we're various UCAP show. Depends on the area and venue. The price is hardly that outstanding.

And LOL they are not "in bowling alley areas". It's one show dude! :lol:

I don't see the big deal, honestly. It's a unique venue that happens to have a bowling alley. If it was a House of Blues venue, no one would be saying anything. Hell, if it was any other club that held 600 people, people wouldn't even be acting the same way. But, since it has the words "bowling alley" attached to it, people go crazy and think it's ridiculous.

Agree completely with the last paragraph. It's not a big deal, at all. In fact, it sounds like a fun place to visit the next time I'm in NYC.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Solid thread, I have to say the pointless criticisms by people not going to the show have been pretty entertaining.

Criticism A: this is "embarrassing" because it is at a "bowling alley" and it shows how far Guns/Axl have fallen

Obvious Response: clearly, GnR can book (much) larger venues, especially in NYC. Their track record in that town, and the fact that this show sold out in a couple of minutes shows that pretty clearly

Criticism B: the ticket prices are "outrageous"

Obvious Response: so playing the small venue proves they're irrelevant, but the show sold out in two minutes with "outrageous" ticket prices? :awesomeface: Which one is it? If they were charging $20 (or $50) per ticket, the same people would be citing this as evidence that Guns is irrelevant, and how it's embarrassing that Axl's been relegated to playing bars and practically has to give the tickets away

Also got to laugh at the argument that if the tickets are "expensive," the show is not "for the hardcore fans." Why can't it be both? Perhaps it is a cool, rare opportunity for hardcore fans and perhaps the band can make some money for performing live. What a concept!

I'm not even sure these people know what they're complaining about anymore. Seriously, who gives a shit? There's not one thing about this show that is worthy of all this whining

Ali

I know who he is. Where did I say he wasn't a good musician? My point still stands.

P4A

Ali

I know who he is. Where did I say he wasn't a good musician? My point still stands.

P4A

There was an actual point in there not just some flippant little quip? :)

And I didn't ask whether or not you knew who he was. I asked whether or not you've seen him play.

Ali

Ali

P4A

And I didn't ask whether or not you knew who he was. I asked whether or not you've seen him play.

Ali

Can anyone tell me who posted this?

Look at how you guys on here keep trying to sugarcoat this concert. He is doing it as a gift for the hard core fans. It is just a warm-up so he'll sound better at the next show. The Rolling Stones charged $600 for a ticket. The excuses just never end.

Why would the fact that the band adds an extra concert to their tour even needs sugarcoating? You are all arguing as if this is bad in some way...Get real.

Because I'm not some blind sheep that operates in the "must defend Axl at all costs" mindset that so many of you guys on this forum do.

Axl adding an extra show.......awesome.

Axl playing a bar/bowling alley..........well, how the mighty have fallen, and I doubt that's what he had in mind when he wrestled control of the GnR name away...............but whatever. The past is the past. Would I go see Axl at a bar/bowling alley? In a heartbeat. One of the coolest shows I've been to was Don Dokken playing at a bar - AFTER watching his concert at a real venue. After the show we went out to a local college bar and in walks Dokken and his band. They got onstage, took requests from the audience and he played maybe 10 songs. Can you imagine Axl doing that in a bar with maybe 100 people there?

But charging $150-plus for those bar/bowling alley tickets............that is where most people find fault in this show.

It is not like GN'R is making themselves unavailable to people who can't pay that much money, they are playing a gig soon thereafter where the ticket price is lower. Complaining about GN'R adding an EXTRA show to the tour targeting a specific market with people willing to pay a little more than usual, is just retarded. I don't believe for one second any of you complaining about this are serious, you just thought you find something intelligent to complain about. You were wrong.

Ali

P4A

Ali

Ali

P4A

Ali

Can you just answer the age old question as to why you sign your name after every single post? I'm not even trying to be a dick, I'm just genuinely curious...

Ali

P4A

Ali

Can anyone tell me who posted this?

I have no idea. :question:

VelvetGirl

I would go if it cost $250. Paid that much for Elton twice without any regrets...

I've never seen Elton in concert, but would love to. I would definitely pay $250 to see him.

He's been my favourite since I was 15 (nearly 10 years now). I was front row both shows (Vegas & Perth) and in Vegas got to go on stage and dance during Saturday Night's Alright. Don't remember a thing, fucking vodka...

Well on our way down, we're in Syracuse right now. Torrential rain all the way from Rochester. Got 2 and a half hours of sleep, but feeling pretty good still.

Oh, it's gonna be tough. Hang on!

I would go if it cost $250. Paid that much for Elton twice without any regrets...

I've never seen Elton in concert, but would love to. I would definitely pay $250 to see him.

Elton came to the town where I live some time ago to play at some elite/private gig in one of our palaces. So ordinary mortals were not allowed in and the security was really tough, you like couldn't get to the palace closer than 50 meters. But it was really hot here so they decided to open all the windows and therefore ordinary people were able to listen to him. And it was pretty crowded outside. :)

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

I saw him and Billy Joel together at MSG about 10 years ago. Was awesome.

One question I don't understand is why you guys would pay multiple hundreds of dollars to see him when he basically plays nightly in Vegas, ans you can see him for under $100.