What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Nymphomaniac

how was it

It's hilariously bad, but still kind of mandatory viewing for anyone who still takes cinema seriously.

Sin City: Eva Green's Boobs...speaking of hilariously bad (the movie, boobs are fine)...

Coherence - impressive little micro budget sci-fi

• Like 1

Apocalypse Now Redux...for the 40 thousandth time. Everytime i lose faith in cinema as a tawdry penny peep-show i see a movie like this and I'm reminded of the wonderous possibilities of motion pictures and their ability, at their best, to be transcendent, to provoke and to be profoundly beautiful. There is so much too this movie i could go on about it for fucking days. Just love it. Love it love it love it.

I'm watching series 2 of The Walking Dead, the fucking characters man, what a piece of storytelling this series is, hard to do when the zombie genre is already crammed fit to burst... that Shane... can't make my mind up, real piece of work either way. Kinda agree with how it went.

Apocalypse Now Redux...for the 40 thousandth time. Everytime i lose faith in cinema as a tawdry penny peep-show i see a movie like this and I'm reminded of the wonderous possibilities of motion pictures and their ability, at their best, to be transcendent, to provoke and to be profoundly beautiful. There is so much too this movie i could go on about it for fucking days. Just love it. Love it love it love it.

Everything about Apocalypse Now is outstanding, I've seen it about seven times now but each viewing is like a brand new perspective, there's so much in ten minute blocks... the images stay with you and the questions just keep piling up, evocative, provocative... I dunno it's just a very caustically beautiful dripfeed of art. Brando is in his element, I read he didn't even read the script, turned up with tons of monologues and Coppola just relented and let him ramble, editing his best parts that somewhat served the messages of the film. There's so much packed into it that you think WTF has this got to do with- oh wait, I see the very point being expressed here.

'We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us, and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember … I … I … I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized … like I was shot … like I was shot with a diamond … a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God … the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we.' - just sublime poetry.

The Thing (1982) fucking classic, pacing, suspense, personalities... Kurt Russell is a legend in this, precision directing, bleak as hell surroundings painted by this superlative band of actors, what a dynamite plot, simple but effective as hell. Scene after scene, climax always leaves me a little disappointed but everything else is top drawer and slots into the sci-fi hall of fame. Aged superbly imo.

tumblr_mmep525JEU1rir7ayo1_500.gif

One of my all-time favourites. Even listening to the score is incredibly depressing.

• Like 1