Better feat. DJ Ashba Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

I'm impressed by DJ's ear for melody on this. I love the haunting effect of the former outro vocals being used faintly over top of the chorus. I'm not his biggest fan based on what he's brought to the band so far, and yeah, this does come across a bit like some kind of Sixx AM type thing, but I'm game for him to be given a chance on a GN'R album.

I tried I really did. I am not the biggest fan of Bumblefoot, but I actually found the acoustic version quite tasteful. "Going Down" wasn't an era defining track, but was certainly a fun tune to hear after all these years, but this DJ Ashba version of "Better," is awful, strips the song of everything that made it great, and it scares me immensely that people like this.

So this is a version of Better where Buckets fast licks have been taken out. And where Robins solo has been taken out in favour of DJ messing up the same solo. Did we really need a studio version of DJ fucking up the solo?, we've been hearing it live for the last 5 years. Better studio is MILES "Better" than this, trust me.

Edited by One.In.A.Million
  • Like 1

Got a text this morning that read "Ashba's version of 'Better' should be called 'Worse'".

I literally laughed out loud on that one. I know I get a reputation for being unfair to DJ constantly but this honestly just made me laugh.

A few days later I still dig it, I mean obviously it is not meant to be taken as a serious "stacks against the album" version but more of a "let's change it up and have fun with this" kind of thing and I think it sounds cool

like it. turns out DJ actually might have the "ear" Axl is looking for

I really hope Axl isn't into those emo gothic sounding stuff. Ashba's taste is really laughable.

well it's a matter of what can axl work with and improve. I didn't like slash's stuff either but axl used it to make great songs. in the same way maybe DJ can give him materila to work with, material that might not be good in itself but material that Axl can turn into something great

Where can I hear DJ's better?

Can someone PM me?

----

Found one but I can't download it - can someone let me know where I can download it?

Man, Kudos to Ashba. If this is his re-doing I say give him all the songs before they are finished and let him add some of this secret sauce to them.

And why don't they play this version live?

Beyond impressed with this!

And tip for the band - sell this! Put it up on ITunes, make money off it instead of hiding it from everyone. It rocks, it's awesome. Re-launch it later if it's part of a new album, in the meantime get 70% of $1.29 of a couple million downloads from iTunes.

Edited by kbirdie76

All I can say is DJ has been playing piano since he was 5 and has overcome his father's abuse, so the guy must be pretty strong and since a lot of bands want him and he's writing the music for the new Sixx AM cd, I'd say he's a talented musician.

I will say after viewing some youttube videos, he has the brain of a 20 year old, but so do a lot of rock musicians. lol He seems like a nice guy and Axl likes him, so he's okay by me.

DJ does add some sweet licks to his BETTER version. The last solo reminds me of Slash so much, especially if you listen to his last LOVE album. Always was/am a fan of Slash's style of playing, and whether Ashba did it on purpose (not likely), the solo suits the new tempo of the song.

The slower tempo is awesome, but I still prefer the normal, faster version. I really like Ashba changing the mid-to-late headbanging/jumping (? dunno know what to call it) section of the song from the original. That part never sounded great to me in the original song, but Ashba simplified it and it rocks better now. Nice to have a GNR track with Ashba showing his skills & song arranging.

I am assuming the vocals are the original Axl vocals from the BETTER original song, right? I didn't hear any difference.

NOTE -if you haven't heard these leaks, just go search YouTube. One vid had all 4NEW SONGS combined to one long track.

Edited by SALonghorn

All I can say is DJ has been playing piano since he was 5 and has overcome his father's abuse, so the guy must be pretty strong and since a lot of bands want him and he's writing the music for the new Sixx AM cd, I'd say he's a talented musician.

I will say after viewing some youttube videos, he has the brain of a 20 year old, but so do a lot of rock musicians. lol He seems like a nice guy and Axl likes him, so he's okay by me.

Whew. A lot of people were worried about it being "OK" by you. Thank goodness Axl has your approval now.

People asking for leaks. Do you not know how to use google?

New to the forum and haven't found the song yet (downloadable ones, but nothing I trust, esp. at work).

But am I right I reading that Ashba redid both Finck and Bucket's parts!?

It's a completely different song - it's a total re-write of the song.

New to the forum and haven't found the song yet (downloadable ones, but nothing I trust, esp. at work).

But am I right I reading that Ashba redid both Finck and Bucket's parts!?

It's a completely different song - it's a total re-write of the song.

Only a demo version... sampled drums and guitars, bass and keybords by Ashba. But idea is cool, would love to hear this version recorded by all members