Axl in 1999: "I'm not working on all this to keep it buried."

axlsalinger

What do you think he meant by that? Sure, some will say we got Chinese Democracy only 9 years later. But seriously: one album of 14 songs, in 14 years, most of them previously leaked. Do Fernando and Jarmo really believe this makes sense, and is enough? I guess we are just ungrateful bastards for wanting to hear the unreleased material. Or are we to assume that songs like Atlas Shrugged and The General are total garbage and not worthy of being heard by anyone?

LODER:

: How much stuff have you got for this new album? You've been working on this for a long time. Is there just tons of material?

ROSE:

We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

LODER:

: Oh!

ROSE:

The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time...

LODER:

:So we'll see you some time this new year, right? You will be around?

ROSE:

Yeah, we'll be around. I'm not working on all this to keep it buried. We plan on getting out there and doing it right. The new guys are a lot of fun, and like I say, we will be continuing to look for and or decide who the official new guitar player will be, but it's not that important to the band at this time, as that person's not really needed. There's not a whole lot for them to do at this time in regards to recording, as we've recorded [a] majority of material.

http://www.gunsnroses.us/chinesedemocracy/axlrose-interview-kurtloder-mtv-1999.htm

Edited by axlsalinger

As the years went by I'm more and more convinced those "70 songs" were really just fragments of songs: riffs, partial melodies, partial lyrics, whatever. I doubt he ever really had 70 songs fully recorded in 1999.

Yup. Just working on 70 songs... that's a lot of material though. The problem with so much material is that it can be hard to focus on certain tracks. Let's up for 12-15 more soon.

• Like 1

Axl's plans changed. Why they changed, who knows?

At the time there was Freese, Axl, Paul, Dizzy, Pitman, and Stinson. Finck had recorded the guitar parts and left. It's clear that Axl wasn't planning to have his parts rerecorded, even if a new guitarist came in. We know they were going in an industrial direction. Axl also had planned to release the album at the end of 99 and tour in 2000. That never happened. He planned the album to be released every year pretty much between 1998 and 2008 but plans always fell through.

By 2001 Brain and Bucket joined, finck rejoined, and Freese left. Brain recorded josh's parts and bucket recorded new parts. Brian May had recorded parts on CITR and that was supposed to be the first single. There were plans for a summer festival tour and release, that fell through. By 2002 axl pretty much confirmed the album was taking longer than expected, "You'll see it, but I'm not so sure that soon's the word". Plans were to release it in 2003 though, tour for a year, and repeat atleast 3 times with 3 albums. Axl's mental state in 2002 caused the tour to fall apart and axl to, for whatever reason, continue to tinker with CD.

They planned to do Rio in 2004 but buckethead left the band at the last minute, causing them to cancel rio and delay the album yet again.

When CD was finally released, it only had 14 songs. Not the 16 to 18 axl mentioned. The songs playedo n the 2002 tour and in 2001 were supposed to be the lesser songs, that would just be extras and not released as singles. The songs played in 2002 are the only songs that WERE released as singles, with the exception of Better.

Nothing went to plan with CD. It was a 14 million dollar catastrophe. Not saying it was a bad album, but it had so many people on it, so many writers, and so much production I think Axl got sick of most of the songs.

They planned to do Rio in 2004 but buckethead left the band at the last minute, causing them to cancel rio and delay the album yet again.

Buckethead told Axl he wanted to leave the band in 2003. In 2004 Axl decided to hire Ron. I guess in Axl time 1 year is the last minute? :rofl-lol:

He didn't work on the material to keep it buried. He still isn't working on the material to keep it buried. All the music will be released eventually. I don't know why it's so hard for some to comprehend that? There could be lots of reasons why the next album is delayed.

Maybe Axl wants the third record to be almost done before he releases the next album. Just like he wanted CD2 to be almost complete before releasing CD1.

Fincs's departure probably changed some plans. That's why they need to re-record stuff for CD2 and maybe write some new songs for CD2 that are written by this current band.

etc...

He didn't want to be the next Brian Wilson working on "Smile".

It's that "doing it right" part that got him in trouble

Yeah, he seems committed to not releasing a new album unless he thinks it'll get the monumental promotion he believes it deserves. Fair enough.

As the years went by I'm more and more convinced those "70 songs" were really just fragments of songs: riffs, partial melodies, partial lyrics, whatever. I doubt he ever really had 70 songs fully recorded in 1999.

I dunno, Marc said Axl worked on a lot of stuff. I think by the end of the ChiDem era he had at least 2.5 albums worth of material, so maybe closer to the 40-50 mark when it comes to completed songs.

It boggles the mind when you think that the quote was, to my knowledge, BEFORE Buckethead!

Bucket seems to have mostly added solos, though there are some songs that seem to have been conceived after he joined (Shackler's, Scraped, Sorry).

I've pretty much decided that Axl is a habitual liar. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth that hasn't been verified by my own experience.

I hear ya on this. I always wonder if it's a "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" type of thing. Like Axl really does/did believe the things he said when he was saying or had every intention to follow through on it but just didn't for whatever reason.

I've pretty much decided that Axl is a habitual liar. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth that hasn't been verified by my own experience.

I hear ya on this. I always wonder if it's a "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" type of thing. Like Axl really does/did believe the things he said when he was saying or had every intention to follow through on it but just didn't for whatever reason.

That's what I used to think, but I've grown more cynical over time. Now I tend to think that Axl just says whatever he imagines puts him in the best possible light at whatever particular moment.

A new double album of CD era material would shut me up, though. :)

That's what I used to think, but I've grown more cynical over time. Now I tend to think that Axl just says whatever he imagines puts him in the best possible light at whatever particular moment.

A new double album of CD era material would shut me up, though. :)

That could be too, who knows but I can definitely see where people would have grown into thinking that.

And yeah.... I'd be happy as all hell with a double album!

Yes, that's exactly how it seems. Axl really did believe those things, but things didn't go the way he had planned.

And that's exactly why he doesn't give us anymore updates about CD2. Because he knows that thngs don't always go the way he plans. So he doesn't want to give false hope to people. He doesn't want to be a liar. So it's better that he doesn't say anything.

• Like 1

I think thwy arw just navigating the industry and GNRs position in it. They dont have the freedom to mail in records year after year. Theres no space on the set list and theyd dissapear without trace.

Are they going to do anymore touring?

I think we'll have to wait 10 years between records.

I agree and i hope we get some more leaks to help with the wait. At least omg and silkworms since we've already heard them. It will not ruin the new cd.

Edited by tr420

Slash and the crew made sure it stayed buried for years...

Yeah, ok.

I guess every bad thing that has happened to New GN'R is somehow Slash's fault. Like, it somehow his fault that Axl hasn't released the follow up to CD, it's Slash's fault Rock In Rio 2011 was a bad show, it's his fault Axl isn't in the mainstream anymore. No, don't blame the bi-polar perfectionist who believes the whole world is out to get him. Blame the one who enjoys being a musician and put's out music for his fans to enjoy.

Edited by GNR123GNR456