NEW GNR AT THEIR BEST IN 2002

Randy Lahey

The 2002 Boston show was def in my top two gnr shows along with Hammerstein 2006.

Had tickets to Portland Maine 06 but we all kno wat happened there, so I went to Worcester instead, where they played down on the farm, which was completely epic.

Also Worcester 2006 was cool cuz they played scraped. Always hated that song but appreciated it in a live setting.

Also saw roseland 2012, but Boston 2002 tied with Hammerstein 2006 weremy favorites. And I was at the 4th show with the first izzy stradlin appearance, so that'll tell you how great Boston 2002 was.

Ppl knew they could expect izzy after that gig, but the very first time was INCREDIBLE..

The 2002 Boston show was def in my top two gnr shows along with Hammerstein 2006.

Had tickets to Portland Maine 06 but we all kno wat happened there, so I went to Worcester instead, where they played down on the farm, which was completely epic.

Also Worcester 2006 was cool cuz they played scraped. Always hated that song but appreciated it in a live setting.

Also saw roseland 2012, but Boston 2002 tied with Hammerstein 2006 weremy favorites. And I was at the 4th show with the first izzy stradlin appearance, so that'll tell you how great Boston 2002 was.

Ppl knew they could expect izzy after that gig, but the very first time was INCREDIBLE..

No, they didn't.

No, they didn't.

They played it in Worcester in 2011 though, give him a break :P

2002 was the best they ever did KOHD:

I'm just happy I got to see the 2002 band minus Bucket, for the first half of the 2006 tour and also the 2 Vegas Joint shows I attended, where Brain came back up until Inland Invasion. The 2002 band were pretty damn special, they were easily the best GN'R shows ever. And yes, Axl was IN the zone, and wanted to prove something. Now he doesn't give a fuck, happy to play AFD tribute shows in clubs for now.

I'm just happy I got to see the 2002 band minus Bucket, for the first half of the 2006 tour and also the 2 Vegas Joint shows I attended, where Brain came back up until Inland Invasion. The 2002 band were pretty damn special, they were easily the best GN'R shows ever. And yes, Axl was IN the zone, and wanted to prove something. Now he doesn't give a fuck, happy to play AFD tribute shows in clubs for now.

This!

I saw GNR three times, and best one was in 2006 (one of the last show with Brain) - there was everything, energy, joy and Robin Finck in audience ;)

2010 Axl still sing well, but without passion, and 2012 was just energyless, Axl just came and sing what he need and go...

1. Classic Appetite Line-Up

2. early Illusion Line-Up with Izzy

3. latest Illusion "Skin N' Bones" Line Up

4. 2009 - 2013 Line Up

5. 2006 - 2007 Line Up

6. mid Illusion Line-Up with Horns....

7. 2001 - 2002 Line Up

Axl is what GNR is all about and he was crap in 2002.

That's why I'd put 2009-10 as a separate line-up at number 4, with 2011-13 right at the bottom at number 8.

Lol. Sucks just as bad as my memories. Baffles my mind that there are gnr fans who pine for this woefully misdirected, embarrassing phase of Axl's life. Just my opinion though

Completely agree. The band was just weird and wrong, all of them.

I've very little time for this version. So detached from everything that made me love this band. I'm not one to comment or care about the aesthetics of Axl but he looks a complete state here, its a bunch of misfits, (talented misfits) trying to achieve one mans wierd vision of what rock and roll should be.

Much prefer the current line up.

If we got Chinese Democracy II by now then maybe in hindsight you could recall 2002 as the quintessential new era line-up. But the one record we did get was not dominated by Buckethead except for a few highlights. Therefore, especially as you had Axl on board and a more refined Robin Finck, 2006 was the incarnation.

Yes, Axl wanted to prove something. He proved us 10 years ago that the mickey mouse voice sucks. That's all he wanted to prove in 2002.

I only saw one show in 2002 (Detroit) and it got cut short but my oh my was that a fuckin' great rock show!

I was at that show also, and you have a different memory of it than me. I remember Axl getting pissed because the audience wasn't into the show. He through the mic up in the air during patience and walked off the stage. The lights came on, and a very medicore show was over. I did think Axl sounded good that night though. The rest of the band was let down imo, no audience interaction at all. It really was the Axl show. When I saw them again at the same venue in 2011, I thought it was a much better show all around. Played longer, axl sounded good, the audience was into it, and ron and dj really do interact with the crowd better.

IMO 2006 was much better! Axl had his trademark rasp voice back, was in good shape and his overall style was cool (minus the braids) and Bumblefoot fitted much better in the band than the genious freak Buckethead.

2001/2 was too much of a freak show for my taste... :suspicious:

No, they didn't.
Meant 2011 obv

Wanted to see this lineup so badly.

Had tickets to see them and made it to the arena. Unfortunately, the arena was in Philly.

LOL that really does suck for those people. But thats a great hilarious way to tell the story. Its sad that Axl was never able to quite make that up. He should do a special show in Philly December of this year with the 2002 lineup. For people that didn't get to see it and really wanted to, they deserve it. Then an encore with the original GNR band.