Jurassic World [SPOILERS]

sweetness

Uh, someone from Universal needs to contact Jeff Goldblum pronto, lest they want a strongly worded letter from me.

AND MY AXE

Though JPIII was miles better than The Lost World. Ian Malcolm in The Lost World was a pussy.

Now here's the real Jeff Goldblum:

JPIII was a fun movie. The deus ex machina ending with the military was awful and abrupt but it was a lot of fun seeing Sam Neill as Alan Grant again. Remember the whole cinema cracking up at the Spinosaurus/satellite phone scene. William H. Macy is always good as a put-upon husband-type character, and I didn't want to punch the kid in the face (rare for a movie character).

I convinced myself as a kid that The Lost World was a good movie (I got to meet Jack Horner at a Q&A he did at the National History Museum in London when it came out, I was 9 and kept pestering him childish nerdy dinosaur questions), but I can rarely bring myself to watch it again, it just drags, I really don't like Vince Vaughn, Jeff Goldblum has zero charisma compared to the sex panther he was in the original. And the kid.... <shudder> I read the book before the film and thought that was much better (never read the original book, though).

Jurassic Park is the best, but The Lost World is actually my personal favorite. Even though it's a bit ham-fisted it's a fun action movie with a fantastic setting. I love the idea of Site B and the sort of folklore around it, InGen panicking following the disater on the first island, desperately trying to recover their losses, clashing with a team sent in to do research. Malcom still had his cynicism, but after what he experienced in the first film I don't see how he could have the same enthusiasm, I think it was just the logical progression of his character. Not to mention; 2 fucking T-Rexes, InGen's large group of hunters (aka disposable characters to get killed by dinosaurs), that scene when they first start capturing the herbavores in the field, raptors in the tall grass, the boat smashing into the dock in San Diego. K, that was kinda weird, but also really cool. Come on man, I loved to see Sam Neil as Dr. Grant but JPIII was really lacking in just about every other aspect, it's clearly the weakest of the 3.

Anyway, Jeff Goldblum deserves some serious love from anybody involved with this franchise. If it wasn't for his potrayal of Ian Malcom, Michael Chrichton may not have written The Lost World, he just really loved Goldblum as Malcom.

*Book spoiler*

Ian Malcom actually dies in the first book, Chrichton backtracked and explained that he survived so he could include his character in The Lost World
  • Like 2

Jurassic Park is the best, but The Lost World is actually my personal favorite. Even though it's a bit ham-fisted it's a fun action movie with a fantastic setting. I love the idea of Site B and the sort of folklore around it, InGen panicking following the disater on the first island, desperately trying to recover their losses, clashing with a team sent in to do research. Malcom still had his cynicism, but after what he experienced in the first film I don't see how he could have the same enthusiasm, I think it was just the logical progression of his character. Not to mention; 2 fucking T-Rexes, InGen's large group of hunters (aka disposable characters to get killed by dinosaurs), that scene when they first start capturing the herbavores in the field, raptors in the tall grass, the boat smashing into the dock in San Diego. K, that was kinda weird, but also really cool. Come on man, I loved to see Sam Neil as Dr. Grant but JPIII was really lacking in just about every other aspect, it's clearly the weakest of the 3.

Anyway, Jeff Goldblum deserves some serious love from anybody involved with this franchise. If it wasn't for his potrayal of Ian Malcom, Michael Chrichton may not have written The Lost World, he just really loved Goldblum as Malcom.

*Book spoiler*

Ian Malcom actually dies in the first book, Chrichton backtracked and explained that he survived so he could include his character in The Lost World

Heard good things about the book, how is it? I know the jist of the differences, just wondering whether it is worth a read?

*Book spoiler*

I just really did not like the supporting cast in Lost World. I just did not feel any connection to Julianne Moore or Vince Vaughn or whoever else's characters. You cared about everybody in the original (apart from the lawyer who you wanted to see get eaten). Tbf, I haven't seen JPIII in over a decade, and watching clips on YouTube now it isn't quite as good as I remember it. Even as a kid the San Diego scene in Lost World was cringeworthy. JPIII did have some pretty cringeworthy moments (remember laughing at the "Sam Neill can talk to the raptors" scene), but it was more lean and had more dino-action. Neither are anywhere near as good as the original, which I saw in 3D for my 25th birthday last year, fell in love all over again.

Dino-nerd trivia: The palaeontologist who gets the snake on him in the waterfall and then gets eaten by the T-Rex is an obvious parody of Robert Bakker, palaeontologist rival to Jack Horner, consultant on the JP films (and absolute stud, he married a 19-year-old student of his at 65).

I saw him on stage (in a fucking brilliant) play in December, then went to a pre-show talk he and Laurie Metcalfe did about it at Lincoln Centre a few weeks later. He sauntered in through the back of the room and was saying hello and blatantly flirting with everyone anywhere near him (which being a Lincoln Centre event, was mostly very old ladies). He is ridiculously charming and witty. Engages with anyone who approaches him (I didn't, I've never understood the urge to introduce yourself to celebs under those circumstances), but he did catch my eye and wink at me when he was walknig up to the stage. :wub:

• Like 1

I saw him on stage (in a fucking brilliant) play in December, then went to a pre-show talk he and Laurie Metcalfe did about it at Lincoln Centre a few weeks later. He sauntered in through the back of the room and was saying hello and blatantly flirting with everyone anywhere near him (which being a Lincoln Centre event, was mostly very old ladies). He is ridiculously charming and witty. Engages with anyone who approaches him (I didn't, I've never understood the urge to introduce yourself to celebs under those circumstances), but he did catch my eye and wink at me when he was walknig up to the stage. :wub:

I imagine he would be one of those celebs that would be great to go grab a beer with, well apart from the fact he probably drinks vintage wine :lol:

Heard good things about the book, how is it? I know the jist of the differences, just wondering whether it is worth a read?

Absolutely, especially if you're into science fiction I think Jurassic Park is an essential read. Pretty quick and easy read too, Michael Chrichton does a great job of explaining the science and ethics behind genetic engineering without getting boring and long winded, plus he really makes it all seem plausible which I think is the most important part of science fiction. Even if you aren't fascinated by the science aspect it's still a great read, there's just a whole lot more going on and it explores a lot of events that happen outside of the main Dr Grant/Satler/Malcom visit. The movie is a great adaptation but the book is obviously a much more well rounded and satisfying story, I would highly recommend it.

*Book spoiler*

I just really did not like the supporting cast in Lost World. I just did not feel any connection to Julianne Moore or Vince Vaughn or whoever else's characters. You cared about everybody in the original (apart from the lawyer who you wanted to see get eaten). Tbf, I haven't seen JPIII in over a decade, and watching clips on YouTube now it isn't quite as good as I remember it. Even as a kid the San Diego scene in Lost World was cringeworthy. JPIII did have some pretty cringeworthy moments (remember laughing at the "Sam Neill can talk to the raptors" scene), but it was more lean and had more dino-action. Neither are anywhere near as good as the original, which I saw in 3D for my 25th birthday last year, fell in love all over again.

Dino-nerd trivia: The palaeontologist who gets the snake on him in the waterfall and then gets eaten by the T-Rex is an obvious parody of Robert Bakker, palaeontologist rival to Jack Horner, consultant on the JP films (and absolute stud, he married a 19-year-old student of his at 65).

Fair enough, I definitely agree with you on Vince Vaughn and whoever played Eddie (the guy who gets ripped in half by the Rex's), but I thought Moore was alright. The best performace was easily Pete Postlethwaite as Roland Tembo, the lead hunter in InGen's "harvest team", he was really the only character outside of Malcom that had any depth. At best The Lost World is an average movie, the 7 year old kid in me just adores it for the setting, the abundance of dinosaurs, Ian Malcom, the cool vehicles/gear, and John Williams' score.

• Like 1

I remember Eddie in the book being this gruff, buff guy who wore shades and was a wise-ass.

And then the movie-version... :P

Pete Postlethwaite was definitely a highlight, as well Williams' score (Don Davis did the music for the 3rd, it was average but I love his music for The Matrix trilogy).

Edited by Amir

I love how Postlethwaite's character survives the entire film, something you don't expect really.

The book is cheap on Amazon so I might invest in both of them, we used to have them somewhere at home but think they got lost when we moved years ago.

Do it! They're both great, I'm a little rusty on The Lost World though, I haven't read it in years but I'm about to give it another read. I read Jurassic Park last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it, first time I read it I was in middle school and most of the scientific and political details went over my head.

Nice addition to the cast, I wonder if they'll revisit Biosyn as InGen's competitor in this plot.

Edited by sweetness

• 2 weeks later...

Spinosaurus fucking the t-rex up was the cheapest shit.

Hey look, the NEW dinosaur can beat up the t-rex! Isn't that awesome?

No, because he's still shit and jurassic Park without a t-rex terrorizing the humans is like godzilla not breathing fire.

+1

Spinosaurus was really cool but that fight was bullshit