Godzilla (2014)

Anyone know the story why Toho decided to let the Americans have another go? I mean the 1998 Zilla pissed them off so much, they made their next Godzilla film five years early because they hoped they were going to let the Americans make a few films and they can make their 50th Anniversary film. Instead what we got was the Millenium Series, six more films.

What made them trust the Americans again?

Anyone know the story why Toho decided to let the Americans have another go? I mean the 1998 Zilla pissed them off so much, they made their next Godzilla film five years early because they hoped they were going to let the Americans make a few films and they can make their 50th Anniversary film. Instead what we got was the Millenium Series, six more films.

What made them trust the Americans again?

Well for one, I'm sure Toho made some good money on that crapper (Godzilla 98'). Money talks and bs walks, and America is where the money is made. I'm sure Toho gets a nice cut from anything Godzilla or other monster related.

For two, I'm sure they had certain assurances from Legendary films that previous mistakes will not repeat themselves. Because if this movie does in fact suck like Godzilla 98' did, than Godzilla is gone from America for a good 15 years or so. That alone is incentive to not mess this up.

Patrick Tatopalis, who designed the 1998 Godzilla, claimed that Toho approved of the model. I guess they did not like the execution. Instead of waiting until 2004 for the next film, they made one a year later in 1999 with Godzilla 2000: Millennium. And they gave it a wide release.

Godzilla killing Zilla in Final Wars was in poor taste IMO. The design was actually pretty good, needs updating. The blame falls to Devlin and Emmerich the latter admitting he did not like the films and just wanted to make his own.

I actually liked what Toho did with Zilla, add him or her to the roster, but say "it's not Godzilla." I also liked the way the real Godzilla kicked his/her ass in Final Wars. But as I've said before, Final Wars is one of my favs. Not for the stupid Xmen/matrix story they tell, but for the actual Godzilla mayhem, great for that.

Well obviously Godzilla kicks his ass. He was killed by missiles. I wish they made all the monster fights longer, but I guess they were saving it for Keizer Ghidhorah.

Was such a clusterfuck, would have preferred fewer monsters with longer fights.

I enjoyed the film but I had two issues. One is that they have not featured any kaiju after 1972. The Hesei Series had some awesome kaiju. Biollante, Battera, Space-Godzilla (dumb name but he was a mean mother fucker) and of course, DESTROYAH!!!. They've even upgraded Rodan and gave her an atomic breath like Godzilla. Even Morthra was upgraded for her solo films and was able to shoot beams out of her atenna. All she does in the movie is die (and it is debated whether or not she survives since post-credits briefly show her flying back to infant island).

Another issue was how campy it was, the film was fun but then you remember it is the 50th anniversary and Toho was to put Godzilla in semi-retirement. They did that with the 40th in Godzilla vs. Destroyah and that gave Godzilla a better swan song than Final Wars. Final Wars just seemed to honor the Showa series and ignore the more serious and better written Hesei Series.

It is also the longest Godzilla film, not counting the Emmerich version. The film also didn't do as well at the Box Office as much a Toho Hoped. Its weird because when making such a silly movie, how is Toho surprised? I mean they brought people who worked on the successful Hesei Gamera Trilogy to work on GMK and that was a huge hit. A more serious film probably would have done better.

Really enjoying my copy of Godzilla vs. Biollante on blu ray. I am surprised how much English is spoken in the Heisei Series. It features caucausion actors speaking English as well as the Japanese actors speaking to them in English with heavy accents. They were all dubbed over in the Sony release, even the English speaking actors.

Hopefully I will be able to complete both the Hesei and Millennium Series on DVD/Blu ray. Only the Showa remains. I am still hesitant to buy anything on Blu Ray until I am sure the original Japanese audio is restored.

I wish Toho would do a film with the full grown Godzilla Junior after the events of Destroyah. I read the director of Final Wars meant that Godzilla to be the actual son of Godzilla who died in Destroyah but it was never followed up. It can be argued that this Godzilla is not as aggressive as the original or Second Godzilla, but he sure hates those fucking monsters.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Don't base your opinion off of the toy.

Well this is about 85% of what we will see in the final film. But so far from what I've seen and the angled pics, he looks great. I am glad they are making him look different yet, maintain the original design. He looks more like a bear and crocodile which is what they are going for. I think it works.