Godzilla (2014)

This film will be a hit. Great marketing strategy. Most people who have low expectations only remember the 1998 film. This trailer is starting to turn the doubters around.

I bought The Return of Godzilla, the orginal Japanese version of the 1984 film. As much as I liked the American release of Godzilla:King of the Monsters, the 1984 film was an abortion.

Also got Godzilla Raids Again, yet another with a butcherd American release.

Yeah, I am not a fan of this whole remake/remake craze hollywood is currently in. Like, did we really need an all new spiderman franchise only like 5 years after the last? They just havent been giving a lot of time in between each franchise (we are getting a new batman soon too)

But Godzilla is the perfect franchise for a complete reboot. It has been decades since it has been really relevant, the last reboot sucked and was almost 20 years ago (wow...), and it seems they are going into it with the right mindset.

Would love to see different takes on some classic monsters in this too (or the sequels)- mothra, rodan, gigan, king ghidorah, space godzilla (love that design)...

A lot of opportunities here

See, I don't consider this a remake or a reboot. Just another Godzilla film. The Japanese have been changing shit around, but they just make another film.

Well Toho actually rebooted Godzilla 5 or 6 times really. I read somewhere that reboots are really popular in Japan, even more so than in Hollywood. I actually lost count with all the reboots the millenium series did, pretty much every film is a reboot, that's why I disreguard all of those films except for Final Wars. They are the worst Toho Godzilla films imo. Showa and Heisei have their share of gems and garbage, but all of the Millenium are garbage imo. So technically speaking this is very much a reboot, and a much needed one at that. Between the 98' disaster and the Millenium garbage, this film has the potential to be the best Godzilla film ever, at least 2nd only to the original.

Over at Ain't It Cool News they seem to think this is almost a sequil to the original Gojira, in the same way Superman Returns was a sequel to the Richard Donner Superman films. Makes sense in that they reference 1954 in the trailer. Also interesting to note that in the trailer they say that Godzilla's not a product of atom bomb tests from that year, and claim instead that those weren't actually tests, but efforts to kill Godzilla. So Godzilla is actually a preexisting monster, not a "child of the atom" like he was in the original. But I guess they're still keeping him as some sort of parable to the bomb.

I'm leaning towards thinking this is a sequel to the original. At 1:00 in the new trailer, Ken Watanabe says "In 1954, we awakened something". 1954 was the first Godzilla movie. seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm leaning towards thinking this is a sequel to the original. At 1:00 in the new trailer, Ken Watanabe says "In 1954, we awakened something". 1954 was the first Godzilla movie. seems like a no brainer to me.

If it is, I'm guessing the oxygen destroyer's been retconned out in favour of a nuke.

OMG

79750_large.jpg

This film will be a hit. Great marketing strategy. Most people who have low expectations only remember the 1998 film. This trailer is starting to turn the doubters around.

I bought The Return of Godzilla, the orginal Japanese version of the 1984 film. As much as I liked the American release of Godzilla:King of the Monsters, the 1984 film was an abortion.

Yeah, I am not a fan of this whole remake/remake craze hollywood is currently in. Like, did we really need an all new spiderman franchise only like 5 years after the last? They just havent been giving a lot of time in between each franchise (we are getting a new batman soon too)

But Godzilla is the perfect franchise for a complete reboot. It has been decades since it has been really relevant, the last reboot sucked and was almost 20 years ago (wow...), and it seems they are going into it with the right mindset.

Would love to see different takes on some classic monsters in this too (or the sequels)- mothra, rodan, gigan, king ghidorah, space godzilla (love that design)...

See, I don't consider this a remake or a reboot. Just another Godzilla film. The Japanese have been changing shit around, but they just make another film.

Well Toho actually rebooted Godzilla 5 or 6 times really. I read somewhere that reboots are really popular in Japan, even more so than in Hollywood. I actually lost count with all the reboots the millenium series did, pretty much every film is a reboot, that's why I disreguard all of those films except for Final Wars. They are the worst Toho Godzilla films imo. Showa and Heisei have their share of gems and garbage, but all of the Millenium are garbage imo. So technically speaking this is very much a reboot, and a much needed one at that. Between the 98' disaster and the Millenium garbage, this film has the potential to be the best Godzilla film ever, at least 2nd only to the original.

Over at Ain't It Cool News they seem to think this is almost a sequil to the original Gojira, in the same way Superman Returns was a sequel to the Richard Donner Superman films. Makes sense in that they reference 1954 in the trailer. Also interesting to note that in the trailer they say that Godzilla's not a product of atom bomb tests from that year, and claim instead that those weren't actually tests, but efforts to kill Godzilla. So Godzilla is actually a preexisting monster, not a "child of the atom" like he was in the original. But I guess they're still keeping him as some sort of parable to the bomb.

Doubt it, probably just fan service as it is the 60th anniversary.

I mean he dies in the ocean at the end of the original Godzilla so unless they want to act like he is some offspring or somehow went into hiding I don't buy it.

Edited by Tater Totts

Doubt it, probably just fan service as it is the 60th anniversary.

I mean he dies in the ocean at the end of the original Godzilla so unless they want to act like he is some offspring or somehow went into hiding I don't buy it.

Unless he really didn't die?!?!?!??!! DDDDDDDDD:

Is that King Ghidora at 2:00? Then it looks the the end of a wing in the next cut.

No it isn't, but it is a flying monster. There are other monsters in the film but they are known as mutos rather than kaiju and the only Toho monster they have the rights to is Godzilla.

Apparently you have to license the rights to each individual monster and for this one they only went for Godzilla.

I dunno man, looks like three necks to me. :shrugs:

Also, one of the monsters definitely flys, I don't know how else you could explain the jets falling out of the sky.

Is that King Ghidora at 2:00? Then it looks the the end of a wing in the next cut.

No it isn't, but it is a flying monster. There are other monsters in the film but they are known as mutos rather than kaiju and the only Toho monster they have the rights to is Godzilla.

Apparently you have to license the rights to each individual monster and for this one they only went for Godzilla.

I dunno man, looks like three necks to me. :shrugs:

Also, one of the monsters definitely flys, I don't know how else you could explain the jets falling out of the sky.

Well its obvious there is a flying monster but it has been confirmed it's not Ghidora. Maybe they're smoke screening us so it is a surprise at release but I doubt that.

Same as!

Just feel like it is too soon for Ghidorah especially as he kicks Godzilla's ass so bad he needed Mothra's help to beat him.

Edit: Found this regarding the toys for the film, seems to confirm that the MUTOs are original and none of them are Toho Kaiju http://idlehands1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/toy-fair-2014-bandais-godzilla-toys.html

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/71704/good-morning-godzilla-more-new-kaiju-muto#axzz2uVvOiIMB

Eyewitness reports from Comicon about MUTOs http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Muto

So that info coupled with the Viral MUTO marketing makes me think there will be no Toho Kaiju other than Godzilla. I think the closest we will get will be a post-credit scene with a fan favourite or the MUTOs being interpretations of the Toho monsters without being direct copies.

Edited by Tater Totts

I highly doubt King Ghidorah will be in this film, he deserves his own introduction in a sequel. I do think him appearing in a proper sequel would be freaking awesome!!! But not in this movie, this movie NEEDS to be about Godzilla, introducing King Ghidorah would take away from Godzilla's rampage imo, and actually lessen the feel of the film, not enhance it.

• Like 1

I agree, Toho has a lot on the line with this film actually. If it is done right, they could make TONS of money, but if it's done wrong (which I doubt) it would essentially kill Godzilla and his fellow monsters from American audiences for another 15 years or so. So if this movie is done right, then a sequel is a given, so might as well save the "big guns" aka King Ghidorah for the sequel. Like I said before, KG is one of the very few Toho monsters I am in favor of an american reboot, Gigan would be cool also. But no point in recycling all of them imo, might as well create some new ones.

Honestly, I don't see any way this will flop commercially. The trailers are creating MASSIVE buzz online, people that don't particularly care about Godzilla are excited, the film is going to show in IMAX (when's the last time an IMAX movie flopped?). Plus having Bryan Cranston so soon after Breaking Bad ended is a huge bonus - you've got another whole group of people that will eat up anything he's in right now. My mom is one of those people, she hates monster movies but wants to see it JUST because Bryan Cranston is in it.

• Like 1

Well commercially the 1998 Godzilla did quite well but it was still a shocking film so I can see why Toho were hesitant to license all their creatures for the film. Makes sense to let them do Godzilla right before before bringing out the big guns in any sequels that might be developed.

• Like 1

I think it is safe to say Godzilla is the only Toho Monster in this film. I would like to see them bring back Mothra and Rodan.

I like how in the trailer Cranston gets the most dialogue and Aaron Taylor-Johnson who gets top billing only gets one line. Watanabe had a couple lines.

What intriques me is what will they have Juliette Binochet do? You see Cranston who plays her husband about to cry. Seems like a big moment in the film. This may be the first Godzilla film where I gave a crap about the characters.