Godzilla (2014)

This is the RIGHT series to give a fresh look, and just plain modernize. I gotta admit Final Wars was pretty fun though.

What's everyone's fav Godzilla films?

(In no order)

Original

Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Invasion of the astromonster

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla I

Godzilla 1984

Godzilla vs Biolante

Godzilla vs King Ghidora

Godzilla vs Destroyah

Final Wars

vs King Ghidora for me. Was my first Godzilla film so it holds a special place in my heart.

Yeah, I am not a fan of this whole remake/remake craze hollywood is currently in. Like, did we really need an all new spiderman franchise only like 5 years after the last? They just havent been giving a lot of time in between each franchise (we are getting a new batman soon too)

But Godzilla is the perfect franchise for a complete reboot. It has been decades since it has been really relevant, the last reboot sucked and was almost 20 years ago (wow...), and it seems they are going into it with the right mindset.

Would love to see different takes on some classic monsters in this too (or the sequels)- mothra, rodan, gigan, king ghidorah, space godzilla (love that design)...

A lot of opportunities here

Yeah, but The Amazing Spider-Man was better than Spider-Man.

The new Godzilla trailer looks amazing, by the way. Never been interested at all in Godzilla, but I plan on going to see this one.

Looks kinda cool from the trailer. I had no idea Bryan Cranston's role would be so big, and the second I heard Ken Watanabe's voice my interest was piqued.

Edited by OmarBradley

Yeah, but The Amazing Spider-Man was better than Spider-Man.

The new Godzilla trailer looks amazing, by the way. Never been interested at all in Godzilla, but I plan on going to see this one.

I've got several friends who can't stand Godzilla, all of whom are excited for this one.

This film will be a hit. Great marketing strategy. Most people who have low expectations only remember the 1998 film. This trailer is starting to turn the doubters around.

I bought The Return of Godzilla, the orginal Japanese version of the 1984 film. As much as I liked the American release of Godzilla:King of the Monsters, the 1984 film was an abortion.

Also got Godzilla Raids Again, yet another with a butcherd American release.

Yeah, I am not a fan of this whole remake/remake craze hollywood is currently in. Like, did we really need an all new spiderman franchise only like 5 years after the last? They just havent been giving a lot of time in between each franchise (we are getting a new batman soon too)

But Godzilla is the perfect franchise for a complete reboot. It has been decades since it has been really relevant, the last reboot sucked and was almost 20 years ago (wow...), and it seems they are going into it with the right mindset.

Would love to see different takes on some classic monsters in this too (or the sequels)- mothra, rodan, gigan, king ghidorah, space godzilla (love that design)...

See, I don't consider this a remake or a reboot. Just another Godzilla film. The Japanese have been changing shit around, but they just make another film.

Is that King Ghidora at 2:00? Then it looks the the end of a wing in the next cut.

No it isn't, but it is a flying monster. There are other monsters in the film but they are known as mutos rather than kaiju and the only Toho monster they have the rights to is Godzilla.

Apparently you have to license the rights to each individual monster and for this one they only went for Godzilla.

Is that King Ghidora at 2:00? Then it looks the the end of a wing in the next cut.

No it isn't, but it is a flying monster. There are other monsters in the film but they are known as mutos rather than kaiju and the only Toho monster they have the rights to is Godzilla.

Apparently you have to license the rights to each individual monster and for this one they only went for Godzilla.

Makes sense. They are basically characters owned by the company after their creators have passed.

This film will be a hit. Great marketing strategy. Most people who have low expectations only remember the 1998 film. This trailer is starting to turn the doubters around.

I bought The Return of Godzilla, the orginal Japanese version of the 1984 film. As much as I liked the American release of Godzilla:King of the Monsters, the 1984 film was an abortion.

See, I don't consider this a remake or a reboot. Just another Godzilla film. The Japanese have been changing shit around, but they just make another film.

Well Toho actually rebooted Godzilla 5 or 6 times really. I read somewhere that reboots are really popular in Japan, even more so than in Hollywood. I actually lost count with all the reboots the millenium series did, pretty much every film is a reboot, that's why I disreguard all of those films except for Final Wars. They are the worst Toho Godzilla films imo. Showa and Heisei have their share of gems and garbage, but all of the Millenium are garbage imo. So technically speaking this is very much a reboot, and a much needed one at that. Between the 98' disaster and the Millenium garbage, this film has the potential to be the best Godzilla film ever, at least 2nd only to the original.

Oh and I would LOVE to see King Ghidorah show up in a sequal, but thats about it. Leave the other monsters alone, make new ones instead, if sequals happen. Well maybe Gigan also, but please no Mothra, I find Mothra to be boring and kinda lame. What the hell is up with those damn fairies always singing and shit, bad idea if you ask me.

Edited by Mike420

Well Toho actually rebooted Godzilla 5 or 6 times really. I read somewhere that reboots are really popular in Japan, even more so than in Hollywood. I actually lost count with all the reboots the millenium series did, pretty much every film is a reboot, that's why I disreguard all of those films except for Final Wars. They are the worst Toho Godzilla films imo. Showa and Heisei have their share of gems and garbage, but all of the Millenium are garbage imo. So technically speaking this is very much a reboot, and a much needed one at that. Between the 98' disaster and the Millenium garbage, this film has the potential to be the best Godzilla film ever, at least 2nd only to the original.

Over at Ain't It Cool News they seem to think this is almost a sequil to the original Gojira, in the same way Superman Returns was a sequel to the Richard Donner Superman films. Makes sense in that they reference 1954 in the trailer. Also interesting to note that in the trailer they say that Godzilla's not a product of atom bomb tests from that year, and claim instead that those weren't actually tests, but efforts to kill Godzilla. So Godzilla is actually a preexisting monster, not a "child of the atom" like he was in the original. But I guess they're still keeping him as some sort of parable to the bomb.

The worse Millenium Series film I thought was Giant All Out Monsters Attack. I do not understand why so many G fans like that one. It sucked. I have not seen Tokyo SOS or Final Wars but so far the only two I liked from the Millenium Series was Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

Over at Ain't It Cool News they seem to think this is almost a sequil to the original Gojira, in the same way Superman Returns was a sequel to the Richard Donner Superman films. Makes sense in that they reference 1954 in the trailer. Also interesting to note that in the trailer they say that Godzilla's not a product of atom bomb tests from that year, and claim instead that those weren't actually tests, but efforts to kill Godzilla. So Godzilla is actually a preexisting monster, not a "child of the atom" like he was in the original. But I guess they're still keeping him as some sort of parable to the bomb.

If you watch the original, they mention that Godzilla was a pre-existing monster who was enhanced by nuclear tests.

The worse Millenium Series film I thought was Giant All Out Monsters Attack. I do not understand why so many G fans like that one. It sucked. I have not seen Tokyo SOS or Final Wars but so far the only two I liked from the Millenium Series was Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

If you watch the original, they mention that Godzilla was a pre-existing monster who was enhanced by nuclear tests.

Ya the islanders pray to him and what not. I always wondered why future films never really expanded upon that....

I agree with Giant monsters attack being garbage, I also wondered why people liked it so much. Ya maybe the effects are better, but the plot is just "here we go again". Nothing to it. I would have given the Miilenium series more of a chance if their was continuity, thats a big thing to me, that's why I prefer the Heisei series over all of them, because it has continuity. Constantly making stand alone films, or films that only refrence the original is insulting to the audience imo, especially for a series like this. All they had to do in the Millenium series is say, "this Godzilla is the Godzilla jr all grown up" I would have been happy with that, but no. Partly because they wanted to recycle Ghidorah, Mothra, MechaGodzilla and etc again, I'm sure of it. But damn, is it worth loosing your audience, because that's what happened for me. The Millenium series is the BASTARDS of the Godzilla franchise imo, on the same level as the 98' film really. The only reason why Final Wars is an exception to me, is because it actually feels like a sequal to Godzilla vs Destroyah. It is the true finale to Toho's Godzilla, but again it ignores all the Millenium films. BTW if you haven't seen it, I do recommend it. It has it's moments of WTF cheeze, but hyou gotta expect some of that from a G film, but beyond that, it is a real love letter to any Godzilla fan. Everything you could ask for from a Godzilla movie.

Edited by Mike420

Shit, I must have gotten confused with the shitfest remake :P

Haven't got the Criterion Collection set but I got the American version of Godzilla in a box set with some of the Toho films, and the UK has a pretty good 2-disc DVD of Gojira I borrowed from my uni library a few years back.

Though it's interesting on the wiki page they go with both angles:

"The plot tells the story of Godzilla, a giant monster mutated by nuclear radiation"

"On Odo Island, a village elder blames their poor fishing on a sea monster known as "Godzilla" and recalls that in earlier times native girls were sacrificed to appease the giant sea monster."

So it was already a giant monster, but the radioactive fire etc. comes from the bomb testing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(1954_film)

Were they high when they came up with the iguana thing? I like this film has actual Japanese characters in respectable roles, and not some random fisherman chomping down on noodles watching a sumo wrestleing match. And who better to have in a Godzilla film than Ken Wantabe?

Don't say shit like that. Japanese people HATE it when Chinese people play their characters

Yeah, I remember the controversy about Memoirs of a Geisha. Then again, the original book was written by an American man and not a Japanese woman...