Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Slash wrote WTTJ really quickly. But the song itself was worked on for years. It sounded that good cause Slash and the rest of the band had the time and interest to work on it.

This is not true. It was written quickly and in its, familiar form, recognizable fairly early.

:facepalm: Yes...it's true. Slash said he wrote it in 15 minutes and Axl came up with the lyrics (Slash said he didn't know where Axl got the idea for the lyrics)

But the song was worked on from the moment the basic structure of the song was written until they've recorded it in the studio. The part of the song where Axl sings "and when you're high you never..." was repeated, it was done twice originally. Pretty big difference. A whole section of the song was changed. Many other things were added. Little fills and leads that were not there before.

Did I say it wasn't recognizable? I even said Slash wrote it quickly! what the fuck man. "but the song itself was worked on for years". That was my point.

This is the part where you tell me you're just fuckin' with me. Tedious as fuck. :sleeper:

No this is the part where I tell you you are wrong. That song was written on the Hell Tour. A week or so later it was played live.

Slash wrote WTTJ really quickly. But the song itself was worked on for years. It sounded that good cause Slash and the rest of the band had the time and interest to work on it.

This is not true. It was written quickly and in its, familiar form, recognizable fairly early.

:facepalm: Yes...it's true. Slash said he wrote it in 15 minutes and Axl came up with the lyrics (Slash said he didn't know where Axl got the idea for the lyrics)

But the song was worked on from the moment the basic structure of the song was written until they've recorded it in the studio. The part of the song where Axl sings "and when you're high you never..." was repeated, it was done twice originally. Pretty big difference. A whole section of the song was changed. Many other things were added. Little fills and leads that were not there before.

Did I say it wasn't recognizable? I even said Slash wrote it quickly! what the fuck man. "but the song itself was worked on for years". That was my point.

This is the part where you tell me you're just fuckin' with me. Tedious as fuck. :sleeper:

No this is the part where I tell you you are wrong. That song was written on the Hell Tour. A week or so later it was played live.

So what if it was played live? lol. That's the way Appetite was constructed: they played the versions of the songs they've had live, worked on them some more, developed them and all the members came up with improvised ideas live as well. Do you know how many versions of Nightrain for example they've recorded? many demos.

Listen to any live version of Jungle live before Appetite came out, and then listen again to the studio version. Now go back and listen to the demos. Very different. You're wrong, and you're annoying.

come on Rovin I see you lurking wheres that solo from?

I don't work for you fucker. And it's Rovim, not Rovin.

I had already picked up th error and changed it. :blink::blink:

You're the error. Look at the quote. You've changed it after I've read it and quoted it. Doesn't matter.

Edited by Rovim

Oh fuck. So what if it was played live? lol. That's the way Appetite was constructed: they played the versions of the songs they've had live, worked on them some more, developed them and all the members came up with improvised ideas live as well. Do you know how many versions of Nightrain for example they've recorded? many demos.

Listen to any live version of Jungle live before Appetite came out, and then listen again to the studio version. Now go back and listen to the demos. Very different. You're wrong, and you're annoying.

You're the error. Look at the quote. You've changed it after I've read it and quoted it. Doesn't matter.

Yes, they honed the material but most of the songs were finalised fairly quickly in the Gardner studios. Live, they trimmed off some loose fat, yes, but understand that we are dealing with a period that is less than, one year - mid '85 to mid 86!

I don't work for you fucker.

Jeez no need to get your nickers in a twist, I just thought because you seem like you know alot about these things that you would know off the top of your head. :shrugs: Never mind.

I believe It's demo #16 from Slash's first solo album.

Oh fuck. So what if it was played live? lol. That's the way Appetite was constructed: they played the versions of the songs they've had live, worked on them some more, developed them and all the members came up with improvised ideas live as well. Do you know how many versions of Nightrain for example they've recorded? many demos.

Yes, they honed the material but most of the songs were finalised fairly quickly in the Gardner studios. Live, they trimmed off some loose fat, yes, but understand that we are dealing with a period that is less than, one year - mid '85 to mid 86!

Understand that they were living together, working on the songs all the time (like I've said earlier: Axl said the songs were "worked on and worked on") so in one year they've spent a shitload of time on developing them. Nothing was finalized fairly quickly. You call it trimmed fat, but the reality of the situation is there were major changes to the songs. You don't have to take my word for it: just listen to the demos, It's all there. They sound poor compared to the studio versions. They sound very different.

The basic structure is there, but it's far from being finished. And I don't mean production either.

Edited by Rovim

Axl says a lot of things which are absolute, cock and balls - especially when it has some implication upon keeping his lazy ginger backside away from a studio. Fundamentally though, if you and Mr William Bailey are correct, we are still dealing with a relatively short time frame here: summer '85 Jungle was premiered live; late '86, they entered the studio. That simple.

Axl says a lot of things which are absolute, cock and balls - especially when it has some implication upon keeping his lazy ginger backside away from a studio. Fundamentally though, if you and Mr William Bailey are correct, we are still dealing with a relatively short time frame here: summer '85 Jungle was premiered live; late '86, they entered the studio. That simple.

Let's face it: you too, say a lot of things which are absolute cock and balls. Like just now, in this discussion, where you refuse to accept facts you can check by using your fuckin' ears.

Slash changed his leads to Jungle. Parts of solos. Izzy changed what he played too, only to a lesser extent. The section I've mentioned before wasn't repeated anymore. Why are you focusing on how long it took from writing the basic structure until recording the final version? I've touched on that and explained they lived together and played all the time, worked all the time on the songs. I've supported that with what the lead singer said about it. You just shrug it off cause...you don't like him lol. What else? go listen to the live versions and demos of Jungle. Listen to how different they sound compared to the final official release.

Go listen to other songs off of Appetite too if you want. They prove my point.

Edited by Rovim

Let's face it: you too, say a lot of things which are absolute cock and balls. Like just now, in this discussion, where you refuse to accept facts you can check by using your fuckin' ears.

Slash changed his leads to Jungle. Parts of solos. Izzy changed what he played too, only to a lesser extent. The section I've mentioned before wasn't repeated anymore. Why are you focusing on how long it took from writing the basic structure until recording the final version? I've touched on that and explained they lived together and played all the time, worked all the time on the songs. I've supported that with what the lead singer said about it. You just shrug it off cause...you don't like him lol. What else? go listen to the live versions and demos of Jungle. Listen to how different it sounds.

Go listen to other songs off of Appetite too if you want. It will prove my point.

Summer-1985: GN'R were formed. Late Autumn-1986, GN'R entered the studio to record their magnum opus, Appetite for Destruction.

I rest my case.

Slash changed his leads to Jungle. Parts of solos. Izzy changed what he played too, only to a lesser extent. The section I've mentioned before wasn't repeated anymore. Why are you focusing on how long it took from writing the basic structure until recording the final version? I've touched on that and explained they lived together and played all the time, worked all the time on the songs. I've supported that with what the lead singer said about it. You just shrug it off cause...you don't like him lol. What else? go listen to the live versions and demos of Jungle. Listen to how different it sounds.

Go listen to other songs off of Appetite too if you want. It will prove my point.

Summer-1985: GN'R were formed. Late Autumn-1986, GN'R entered the studio to record their magnum opus, Appetite for Destruction.

I rest my case.

What case? I think you're just trying to get a reaction out of me now. Trollin' hurd. My previous post is there for you to read again. It's all there.

Just listened to the record again start to finish while gaming and only track I wouldn't mind missing is WOF and maybe Automatic Overdrive. Dirty Girl has a pretty tasty chorus and really grown on me. Such an immense album, gets better after every listen and 17 tracks NOT too much.

Fun fact of The Day: WOF listen through = 25 rounds of Black Ops 2 Der Riese (4 player) :lol:

Here's how I'd rank as of now:

GREAT

Shadow Life

Wicked Stone

Stone Blind (Big grower)

Too Far Gone

Beneath The Savage Sun

Battleground (took multiple listens to fully seep in, but amazing)

Safari Inn

The Unholy

VERY GOOD

30 Years to Life

Bent to Fly

Withered Deliliah

Iris of the Storm

The Dissident

GOOD

Avalon

Dirty Girl

NOT BAD

WOF

Automatic Overdrive

Edited by Turn_It_Up

who gets a rocket queen vibe from wicked stone?

I get more of a Locomotive vibe.

I get a Locomotive vibe, too. But a close friend says he thinks it sounds more like Rocket Queen.

Listened again. I can hear it. It's the note choices and the way Myles is singing it over a similar rhythm and also the transition from the chorus to the verse is kinda like Rocket Queen. That vibe is there. I still hear more of a Locomotive vibe with just the way Slash's guitar sound in the verses.

In conclusion: whatever vibe it is, I really like it.

Edited by Rovim

I get a Locomotive vibe, too. But a close friend says he thinks it sounds more like Rocket Queen.

Listened again. I can hear it. It's the note choices and the way Myles is singing it over a similar rhythm and also the transition from the chorus to the verse is kinda like Rocket Queen. That vibe is there. I still here more of a Locomotive vibe with just the way Slash's guitar sound in the verses.

In conclusion: Slash is still kicking ass. :D

Listened again. I can hear it. It's the note choices and the way Myles is singing it over a similar rhythm and also the transition from the chorus to the verse is kinda like Rocket Queen. That vibe is there. I still here more of a Locomotive vibe with just the way Slash's guitar sound in the verses.

In conclusion: Slash is still kicking ass. :D

Clearly. :devilshades:

• Like 2

You guys do realize of all the 70's and 80's badass players still around, none of them, and I mean NONE OF THEM, have improved as much as Slash has technically and none of them are busting ass, pushing themselves, and giving the fans what we want as Slash... The only other guy from Slash's era that still has a following and is very active is Zakk Wylde... But Slash seems so driven right now and in the zone in his playing.. Guitar playing wise, he is still the last Mega Star still putting out kicks ass shit.

• Like 1

Had a lot of time driving today and ended up hearing the whole record (basically in three 25 minute bits). This was I think my 8th time hearing all of the songs, and probably my third or fourth hearing the album all the way through. I think I can confidently say now that there are no songs I don't like. In 17 songs, that shocks me, but I can't think of one song to cut and all the songs feel very much like part of the album to me. Here are my current rankings:

My top 5:

-World On Fire (sorry, but I'm a sucker for a kick ass rocker and this is as close to a One Last Thrill on this album and those are my favorite tracks)

-Wicked Stone

-30 Years To Life

-Stone Blind (really cool Shots Fired vibe I get from it that I love)

-Avalon

Still Great:

-Withered Delilah (JUST missed my top 5, tied with Stone Blind and Avalon with those winning out)

-Automatic Overdrive

-Beneath The Savage Sun (Slash's shredding still amazes me and makes me smile. Just a really great "fuck yeah" feeling I get every time I hear it)

-The Unholy

-The Dissident (love the opening country bit and even though I first thought it was kind of trying too hard to sound "new age/modern rocky", its become a favorite with a great riff and chorus)

-Safari Inn (sorry, but I love this instrumental, even moreso in the context of the entire record)

Very Good:

-Battleground (didn't expect it at first, but once it seeped it it was totally stuck in my head and it really is a great track)

-Shadow Life

-Too Far Gone

Good (they just happen to be the ones I revisit least)

-Bent To Fly (was never my favorite of the songs we knew pre-album, but I've grown to like it more. I just still don't love it)

-Dirty Girl (I love the sleaziness, and I do think its a great track, but just ranks low cause the rest of the album is so damn good)

-Iris Of The Storm (even though I like this song, it sounds like the easy throwaway of the record. Seems to get to the chorus almost immediately, and its a solid track but seems the most "by the numbers" one to me)

Seriously great effort all around though. I'm shocked Slash stepped up his game this much since I loved Apocalyptic Love. My only regret is there are so many songs that I'm afraid I won't hear a lot of it live, whereas I ended up catching most of AL, barring four songs including bonus tracks.