Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

So I pretty much agree with the common opinion on this. The songs aren't great, but it's a great compilation of riffs and solos.

I don't blame Myles and his lyrics though, I blame the lack of a songwriter to blend the ideas into great songs.

Favorite tracks:

World on Fire

Battleground (dem Myles notes <333)

Shadow Life

Beneath the Savage Sun

Album is probably about a 6.5/10 overall. Could use some fat trimming (17 songs is way too many). It's nowhere near Apocalyptic Love in terms of a solid, well paced hard rock album, but some of the ideas are pretty ambitious and I have to credit Slash for that.

I think this album shows the potential of the band a lot more than AL did. If they can find someone to help shape Slash's more ambitious riffs and solos into better songs, they'll be in great shape.

Edited by bacardimayne

Am I the only one that actually digs the title track?

I love the title track. I think over the past few months, I've played it a lot that its become less fresh than the rest of the album I just got last week. But its a killer track and IMO the best "single" he's released yet. Its a fast paced hard rocker, and maybe my favorite all out rocker from the band thus far, along with One Last Thrill and Hard & Fast. I still place it in my top 5 from the album and, aside from Back From Cali, I'm thankful this is one that he'll probably keep in the sets as time goes on.

Personally, I didn't think singles of You're A Lie, Standing In The Sun and By The Sword were great enough that they needed to be played every night, and still are for the most part. I'm very happy WOF will join that group as I don't see myself getting tired of it like I did with those.

Am I the only one that actually digs the title track?

Nope. I like it. The riff has a Nightrain vibe, And Slash's solos are really cool. Don't like the singing, don't like the lyrics, but instrumentally wise, I dig it. A lot of energy.

Edited by Rovim

Am waiting for the Classic Rock fanpack to arrive (hopefully tomorrow).

So far I've heard:

World On Fire (meh)

30 Years To Life (really like)

The Dissident (really like)

Shadow Life (okay)

Bent To Fly (good)

The Unholy (best song I've heard so far)

Iris Of The Storm (meh)

Battleground (meh, maybe it's a grower)

Really like four out of the eight I heard, so potentially the album could go either way for me.

Gonna wait to get the album to hear the rest. Question is, have I heard the best ones already???

Edited by Towelie

Am waiting for the Classic Rock fanpack to arrive (hopefully tomorrow).

So far I've heard:

World On Fire (meh)

30 Years To Life (really like)

The Dissident (really like)

Shadow Life (okay)

Bent To Fly (good)

The Unholy (best song I've heard so far)

Isis Of The Storm (meh)

Battleground (meh, maybe it's a grower)

Really like four out of the eight I heard, so potentially the album could go either way for me.

Gonna wait to get the album to hear the rest. Question is, have I heard the best ones already???

That's obviously a subjective thing, but I think Wicked Stone is the best song on the album. Beneath The Savage Sun is one of the better tunes too imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

^^ Looking forward to hearing them.

Am I the only one getting major Sabbath vibes from The Unholy?

It's funny you should say that, cause I got that vibe too, and others said it reminded them of Soundgarden I think? which is clearly heavily influenced by Sababth. A really cool song.

Edited by Rovim

Just played Battleground again. It's grown on me, but the "la la la" bits kind of grate on me. It's such a clichéd thing to do in those type of songs. Damn you Hey Jude - you have a lot to answer for.

Hey Jude is "na na na". Completely different deal. Please. Listening to Battleground as we speak. Very strong melodically. That goes for both Slash and Myles. Hate the "la la la" though, but whatever.

Finally somebody mentioned it!

I get that vibe too

A different kind of tune on this album (the rest is radio rock with some greater riffs and solos than "your average rock band")

Wicked Stone is great too and Beneath The Savage Sun and 30 Years To Life (Wof is good, but a poor choice for the first single)

Battleground have some potential, but overall is pretty boring and badly structured

Myles is pretty boring vocalwise, though

The mastering is awesome, this Elvis guy knows how to do his job

Edited by Motivation

Finally somebody mentioned it!

I get that vibe too

A different kind of tune on this album (the rest is radio rock with some greater riffs and solos than "your average rock band")

Wicked Stone is great too and Beneath The Savage Sun and 30 Years To Life (Wof is good, but a poor choice for the first single)

Battleground have some potential, but overall is pretty boring and badly structured

Myles is pretty boring vocalwise, though

The mastering is awesome, this Elvis guy knows how to do his job

That's not his job though. His job is to harras and mock Slash so he'll come up with better solos. Just like he did for World On Fire. My assessment: Slash will probably kill him before he'll get the chance to really build a long lasting partnership and sux for Alter Bridge, but we'll get one more album with better solos out of it. Worth it!

"You call that a solo? LOL!...AGAIN!"

Edited by Rovim