Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Some people have totally unrealistic expectations. So question:

Which of Slash's contemporaries(rock guitarist solo acts) draw the same or bigger concert attendance and sell the same or more albums these days?

I love Morello, Frusciante and some others and they don't even touch the #'s Slash is putting up.

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 3

Officially out on iTunes

Edit: What a fucking nightmare it was to download that album. So iTunes sends me the email that it's out, and I go to download it, and all it's doing is telling me that I've purchased it, there's no option to download or anything. So I'm confused and clicking the shit out of the link iTunes gave me until I eventually decided to look it up, and found out to log out of my iTunes account and back in. So I did, and I go to the album and it comepletely forgot I preordered it. It had the little "complete my album" button, but I was FULL PRICE, even though it already charged me for the 3 tracks already released. So I ended up paying about $15 bucks for an $11 album. Thanks iTunes!!

Yep, another edit: Too Far Gone refuses to download, though all the other tracks downloaded fine.

Too Far Gone is a must have!

I don't know what will happen in the US, just have a feeling WOF will sell at least as much as AL if not even more. Still nothing compared to a big band of course.

What I'm excited for is to see what the ticket sales here in Europe are about. He plays venues now that are 2 or 3 times that big like the venues he played before.

I would be impressed if he'll sell them out, or will sell them out mostly

This isn't an Axl vs. Slash thread and I have no idea why you would think that your brain farts on the subject would be any more relevant to me than World on Fire will be to the whole world when it flops in the US. Would you like to get back on topic and predict how much of his audience Slash will lose this time? My bet still stands at 25%.

This isn't an Axl vs Slash thread, and yet it seems like you'd love to try to turn it into one.

It's 2014. Record sales are down. Slash was never a behemoth -- even during the height of his popularity with GN'R his solo records weren't huge. For as mainstream and recognized as his image may well be, ultimately when it comes to his sales, like many solo guitarists, he is more of a cult musician than anything else.

But you know what? I sure did hear Anastasia played a lot on the radio the last couple years, and I've already heard World on Fire played at least five or six times while listening to the radio in my car, and I never listen to the radio other than when I'm driving. So obviously he's getting some airplay and people are digging the singles.

• Like 2

Officially out on iTunes

Edit: What a fucking nightmare it was to download that album. So iTunes sends me the email that it's out, and I go to download it, and all it's doing is telling me that I've purchased it, there's no option to download or anything. So I'm confused and clicking the shit out of the link iTunes gave me until I eventually decided to look it up, and found out to log out of my iTunes account and back in. So I did, and I go to the album and it comepletely forgot I preordered it. It had the little "complete my album" button, but I was FULL PRICE, even though it already charged me for the 3 tracks already released. So I ended up paying about $15 bucks for an $11 album. Thanks iTunes!!

Yep, another edit: Too Far Gone refuses to download, though all the other tracks downloaded fine.

Last edit: resolved :)

:rofl-lol:

Time to drop WICKED STONE!! WOF is played out now, need a new song to push this album then they can do a slower tune like BTF/Battleground etc. Need Wicked Stone out now. If they want to be ballsy drop Beneath the Savage Sun.

IMO Bent to Fly is obvious next choice for a single.

Wicked Stone and Stone Blind could both do decently.

• Like 1

Which of Slash's contemporaries(rock guitarist solo acts) draw the same or bigger concert attendance and sell the same or more albums these days?

This is the piece that many ignore. There are no guitar players who have managed to claw their way back up the greasy pole of the music business like Slash has. The only 80's/90's non lead singer who has surpassed him is Dave Grohl.

He's in a very tiny and elite group.

Quality wise, this album was make or break for me with Slash, I'll adore his playing 'till I die but I'd been getting very weary of his schoolboy rock posturings...BUT now, with this monster album I am firmly still on the "make" side.

I see Slash and this band evolving oddly backwards (but evolving none the less) to a situation like Alter Bridge where the crowds are smaller and the news men gone but there's a pretty sizeable global fanbase ready to pay to see you play the stuff you've written since you left your big circus rock act band behind.

I am so fucking bored of the Axl v Slash thing now and I'm not trying to start anything. (For me personally they essentially cancelled each others rightful place in music history out i.e. up there with Springsteen). BUT Slash's way of working now and the recognition this album seems to be generating has got to create a healthier and happier state of being for an artist and band leader to be in.

Good for him.

Axl said that Slash left because "he didn't want to work that hard", I think I know what Axl meant by that. Axl wants to stay at home, take eons to build a masterpiece second by second under blinding scrutiny and stun the world. Slash wants to get out there, let the music write itself and see where it takes him.

Neither man has been entirely wrong but both approaches have delivered lesser music than they wrote together. But right now, Slash seems to have finally found the start of a new seam of creativity and maybe even a newer Slash sound.

It just would be so great if Axl came back with CD II so we could see where he is artistically, now the CD I is finally finished with in every sense of the word.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

This is the piece that many ignore. There are no guitar players who have managed to claw their way back up the greasy pole of the music business like Slash has. The only 80's/90's non lead singer who has surpassed him is Dave Grohl.

He's in a very tiny and elite group.

Quality wise, this album was make or break for me with Slash, I'll adore his playing 'till I die but I'd been getting very weary of his schoolboy rock posturings...BUT now, with this monster album I am firmly still on the "make" side.

I see Slash and this band evolving oddly backwards (but evolving none the less) to a situation like Alter Bridge where the crowds are smaller and the news men gone but there's a pretty sizeable global fanbase ready to pay to see you play the stuff you've written since you left your big circus rock act band behind.

I am so fucking bored of the Axl v Slash thing now and I'm not trying to start anything. (For me personally they essentially cancelled each others rightful place in music history out i.e. up there with Springsteen). BUT Slash's way of working now and the recognition this album seems to be generating has got to create a healthier and happier state of being for an artist and band leader to be in.

Good for him.

Axl said that Slash left because "he didn't want to work that hard", I think I know what Axl meant by that. Axl wants to stay at home, take eons to build a masterpiece second by second under blinding scrutiny and stun the world. Slash wants to get out there, let the music write itself and see where it takes him.

Neither man has been entirely wrong but both approaches have delivered lesser music than they wrote together. But right now, Slash seems to have finally found the start of a new seam of creativity and maybe even a newer Slash sound.

It just would be so great if Axl came back with CD II so we could see where he is artistically, now the CD I is finally finished with in every sense of the word.

Slash has got nearly 12 million followers on facebook hes going alright

Edited by Gibbo 27
  • Like 1

Can the mods stop this thread from becoming an Axl vs. Slash stupidity fest? Thanks.

On topic: I hope this album gets streamed on stupid Brazilian Spotify. All I can find is Live in Stoke, which I'm not a big fan of.

Only if the mods you're crying to can find somebody trying to turn this into an Axl vs. Slash stupidity fest. That would be my bet.

On topic: How well do you feel World on Fire will do in the US?

Both slash and Al came in at 2 or 3 overall
Remind me, how many albums were sold again?

Not enough to be #1 for the week.

Can the mods stop this thread from becoming an Axl vs. Slash stupidity fest? Thanks.

On topic: I hope this album gets streamed on stupid Brazilian Spotify. All I can find is Live in Stoke, which I'm not a big fan of.

Only if the mods you're crying to can find somebody trying to turn this into an Axl vs. Slash stupidity fest. That would be my bet.

On topic: How well do you feel World on Fire will do in the US?

Both slash and Al came in at 2 or 3 overall
Remind me, how many albums were sold again?

Not enough to be #1 for the week.

It was #1 in New Zealand. Too bad they don't count.

After the last turd and the completely wretched single I'm not even going to bother listening to the whole shitpile. Can't wait to see if another half of his fanbase abandons the sinking ship though.

At least listen to Wicked Stone. Strongest track on the album imo. Curious to know what you'll think about it. (yeah you don't care about what I'm curious about I know) :D

Too Far Gone has a cool riff and a really good solo, so you can just listen to the riff, and skip to the solo. Ignore Myles on this one as well if you do decide to risk wasting your time lol.

Sorry man, just tried Wicked Stone and only made it to Myles. The intro sounded all right but the thing is even if Slash were to be playing the best of his career, which he isn't, Myles just sucks out every last bit of enjoyment I could get from it. I would be a much bigger Slash fan if he would release his albums as instrumentals. Not expecting him to find another Axl or anything but there has to be someone out there that can at least complement his guitar.
  • Like 2