Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

what is it you guys dont like?

I do think Myles is fantastic, but I do understand what those that don't like him get annoyed with.

He is, for all intents and purposes, not a great songwriter. You can hear me singing along with his lines, but thats because I'll kind of sing along with anything that has a good melody and hook to it. His lyrics leave a lot to be desired. They do all kind of reek of wimpyness, or he's singing about stuff that seems like it isn't genuine. He doesn't have the rage that Axl had (no one does) and he can't craft perfect lyrics, even for a song like Right Next Door To Hell or something, which is a throwaway. Even on a mediocre GNR tune, Axl was a great enough songwriter to make the song deep or just insanely venomous. That was the amazingness of that band.

I don't really fault Myles for that. IMO Scott didn't have it either, but he also had this weird edge to him where the sinister stuff seemed at least genuine. With Myles, it seems a bit like a put on because he's such a nice guy and thats reminiscent of the newer modern bands these days that are also "faking it". I think the other thing people have a problem with is his singing voice. Whether you like him or not, it is a bit nasally, and I'd be lying if I said I had no idea what people meant when they said he sounds "whiney". Thats not how I hear it at all, but I understand where those people are coming from. He has power, but he doesn't necessarily have range (again, it goes back to the unfortunate circumstance that Slash has worked with someone like Axl who will set the template, that was able to do stuff like Don't Cry AND Perfect Crime). When he gets high, he can do it with consistency, but he can't do with any sort of unique feature. Its just sort of Myles screaming.

These are just what I take away about his singing from what others have said. I love the guy and definitely think he's the best singer Slash has worked with both in terms of being a tolerable human being and a great singer. Then again, I loved Rod Jackson from the Snakepit album who a lot of people don't seem to like either, so maybe its me. I don't have the faults listed above, and whats weird is if I would go after Myles at all, it would be for his frontman status, which not many seem to do. He has often said its NOT the position he feels most comfortable in, but regardless he is Slash's current frontman. And when you see them opening up for a band like Aerosmith with Steven Tyler, he looks like a child. Doesn't move at all or have anything that sets him apart and he gets completely lost on a big stage due to his lack of presence. Not a problem I have, but its impossible not to notice that.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but this is what I've gathered. For my money, he could be Slash's singer for the rest of his life and I'd be thrilled, but I do see an argument for the negative people. Luckily, it looks like with this album he may have convinced many and this album also seems to have cemented that the dissenting voices aren't winning the battle cause Slash and this band are here to stay.

I agree with most of what you wrote here. He does an ok job singing classic rock (particularly ballads) but he's better suited in my opinion to the alternative rock he did on the Mayfield Four albums. I totally agree with the part where you mention how his voice gets nasal and whiney and I do find it annoying (I hated when anyone does it really, even Axl who is my favourite singer, he does it too like on the studio version of SCOM and it 's annoying). But I could live with all of that, no problem.

The issue is: a singer doesn't just sing, he also has a creative role coming up with the vocal melodies. I don't know how other people here listen to music but to me the vocal melodies are at least 50% of what makes or breaks a song, 50% at the very least (unless it's stuff that's mostly instrumental like prog rock etc.) So all the great guitar in the world can't save an album or a song if the vocal parts suck. And this for me is where Myles fails and fails badly. Especially on this album. His melodies are completely bland, repetitive and uninspired.

• Like 1

You guys do realize of all the 70's and 80's badass players still around, none of them, and I mean NONE OF THEM, have improved as much as Slash has technically and none of them are busting ass, pushing themselves, and giving the fans what we want as Slash... The only other guy from Slash's era that still has a following and is very active is Zakk Wylde... But Slash seems so driven right now and in the zone in his playing.. Guitar playing wise, he is still the last Mega Star still putting out kicks ass shit.

Was thinking this very same thing last night. Forget all the stupid "limelight whore" stuff, there's no substitute for passion and loving what you do. Easy to forget the guy is doing this with a family and 2 boys in the ages 12-10 range. Just think when they're off to college and Slash has all that extra free time to put towards his music and touring! :D Good health allowing, can easily see him still doing this into his 70's. I believe him when he says not playing would be like cutting off his arm and that he'd do it for free.

Enjoy it while we can, the guy's a friggin' machine and it would suck without him....

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1

You guys do realize of all the 70's and 80's badass players still around, none of them, and I mean NONE OF THEM, have improved as much as Slash has technically and none of them are busting ass, pushing themselves, and giving the fans what we want as Slash... The only other guy from Slash's era that still has a following and is very active is Zakk Wylde... But Slash seems so driven right now and in the zone in his playing.. Guitar playing wise, he is still the last Mega Star still putting out kicks ass shit.

Was thinking this very same thing last night. Forget all the stupid "limelight whore" stuff, there's no substitute for passion and loving what you do. Easy to forget the guy is doing this with a family and 2 boys in the ages 12-10 range. Just think when they're off to college and Slash has all that extra free time to put towards his music and touring! :D Good health allowing, can easily see him still doing this into his 70's. I believe him when he says not playing would be like cutting off his arm and that he'd do it for free.

Enjoy it while we can, the guy's a friggin' machine and it would suck without him....

When you think about it, he's kind of on borrowed time what with the pacemaker and all.

When you think about it, he's kind of on borrowed time what with the pacemaker and all.

Fuck that. la la la la la. that's me ignoring you. :max:

True and just 1 more big reason why at this point having to deal with an Axl or Weiiand isn't worth the time and certain aggravation. Especially when you can put out albums like WOF.

The only people left with those guy are on the dole and even most of those jump ship over time if any other options available or they value their remaining sanity...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

i listened to it 3 or 4 times, and it is just meh to me. i think the guitar work is pretty good and much better than AL . its just the god awful lyrics and myles voice really doesn't mesh well with slash IMO. if slash would get a songwriter and a singer that stylistically went with slash's style better i think this album would have been a real winner. that or slash needs to stylistically move closer to something that would work with myles voice. 5.5/10

True and just 1 more big reason why at this point having to deal with an Axl or Weiiand isn't worth the time and certain aggravation. Especially when you can put out albums like WOF.

The only people left with those guy are on the dole and even most of those jump ship over time if any other options available or they value their remaining sanity...

Slash is still a baby. Bald baby with a tophat. I envision at least 40 more years of Slash performing live on stage.