Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

This album is really fun to listen to. Worst thing about it for me is the lyrics. Best thing about it is Slash's steller guitar work. If they can develop their sound and streamline it to something more focused, take more time to write and record it, say...3 years, and Myles actually taking the time to dig deep inside himself and write lyrics that actually mean something and don't suck (for the most part) they can like..idk...come up with a modern Rocks. Wouldn't that be cool?

I'm not a fan of the Myles/Slash thing, but I have to admit: I'm getting used to Myles in this band. They do have chemistry. Mullet chemistry I would call it, but there is something that clicks in this album for me and I hate AL (other then the great Anastasia)

With Elvis keeping it suicidal, and the undeniable force of Brent and Todd, and an INSPIRED Slash, they can do a Rocks/Appetite hybrid if they really go for it. World On Fire was recorded in 2 weeks. 17 songs. That's impressive, and it makes me ask myself what they can do if they take more time to develop the material, with good lyrics, and only AAA riffs and solos from Slash. Cause it's not like he can't write 'em. He just doesn't release all of his best riffs and solos on the same albums and that's because he releases an album every 2 years.

If he waits a little longer, it will give him time to come up with new ideas on top of riffs he's already written. Same with solos. The rest of the band will have more time to come up with better constructed ideas as well. They have tons of energy as a group. That's what defines The Conspirators for me.

Really gotta disagree here. You can't assign any arbitrary time period(like 3 years in this case) and assume any art will be better for it. It's done when it's done and if that's 1 year, 2 yrs or 3yrs, whatever it takes. 2 years for a new record used to be the norm and some of the best albums ever were knocked out in 1 year. The hardest part for most creative people is knowing when something is done because theoretically you could continue working on it forever with the belief that you can only make it better. When in fact much of the time all the continued tinkering and re-working only ends up harming the "finished" product. With writing, it's bursts of inspiration where the majority of best ideas come in a rush over a surprisingly few number of days. The other days, not much. So whose to say giving it more time just to give it more time is gonna be worth the investment when you could be spending that time on fresh material?

Shit, I'm blown away by the quality and diversity of this album and personally find the songwriting and lyrics far superior to CD. Not to get into an Axl vs. Slash shitfest, but proves the point that time isn't what determines quality and at some point it gets to be diminishing returns.

Plus, Slash is storing away unused riffs all the time like the 1 in Shadow Life(and FTP) and continuing to work on it as he finds new places for it. That's pretty much his life...

First of all, sure I can: a lot of Slash's ideas sometimes feel undercooked to me. AL felt undercooked, and a lot of it's solos, thrown together hastingly. Slash said Elvis made him work harder on his solos for World On Fire and you can hear it imo.

SecondIy, I assume it will benefit the quality of the music because Slash said in a recent interview that he has the general idea of a solo after one or two takes mostly, but after playing it 80 times (or whatever the fuck) cause Elvis made him do it (lol) suddenly new ideas, notes, and directions came to him and the solos improved.

You can write in an improvised way, and come back to it later, even a year later and you'll potentially have something much better. It's like how many guitar players, Slash too, play songs from their albums live years after they were already released: Like how Slash played Patience in Oklahoma 1992, or Nightrain in Argentina 1993. Same principals work for songwriting. It's not a rule you must follow, but I think Slash is too anxious to get on with it and tour the motherfucker, that he doesn't really give his ideas enough time to ripen.

And just as it is hard to know when it's done, sometimes, for some musicians, it's hard for them to keep at it until it's as good as it can possibly be. There's a delicate balance there. As a musician, you need to develop the feel for it. To know when to let go, but also not to let go too early. Know what I mean?

I think the lyrics in World On Fire are horrid for the most part. Just awful. Some are alright, but they're mostly silly with no emotional weight or meaning. Myles can probably do better. Wrote better lyrics in Alter Bridge.

I think Slash should maybe wait a little longer between releases. Storing away riffs works for him it seems, and many guitarists do it, but perhaps it will be a good idea to just write for a few years and develop the riffs, write and build the songs with the band and take his sweet time sp he gets it just right.

That way, we won't have one song like Anastasia on one album, and a song like By The Sword on another. We'll have one album with only AAA material, and I trust Slash to make it sound cohesive. I just want him to get a little more ambitious. I like World On Fire. I think Elvis influenced Slash in a positive way. I think he needs to be pushed even more, or to push himself a little. Can't hurt.

2 albums under their belt. Maybe Slash and The Conspirators can create something even better then World On Fire with the right approach. It's just a suggestion. I'm pretty satisfied with what we've got, all things considered. I just think there is potential here for something greater in the future with enough time to write and record the ideas and take them as far as possible.

Totally agree on the Elvis factor and his pushing him to do so many takes. It's worth continuing with Myles just to have Elvis working with Slash and bringing out his best.

This album is really fun to listen to. Worst thing about it for me is the lyrics. Best thing about it is Slash's steller guitar work. If they can develop their sound and streamline it to something more focused, take more time to write and record it, say...3 years, and Myles actually taking the time to dig deep inside himself and write lyrics that actually mean something and don't suck (for the most part) they can like..idk...come up with a modern Rocks. Wouldn't that be cool?

I'm not a fan of the Myles/Slash thing, but I have to admit: I'm getting used to Myles in this band. They do have chemistry. Mullet chemistry I would call it, but there is something that clicks in this album for me and I hate AL (other then the great Anastasia)

With Elvis keeping it suicidal, and the undeniable force of Brent and Todd, and an INSPIRED Slash, they can do a Rocks/Appetite hybrid if they really go for it. World On Fire was recorded in 2 weeks. 17 songs. That's impressive, and it makes me ask myself what they can do if they take more time to develop the material, with good lyrics, and only AAA riffs and solos from Slash. Cause it's not like he can't write 'em. He just doesn't release all of his best riffs and solos on the same albums and that's because he releases an album every 2 years.

If he waits a little longer, it will give him time to come up with new ideas on top of riffs he's already written. Same with solos. The rest of the band will have more time to come up with better constructed ideas as well. They have tons of energy as a group. That's what defines The Conspirators for me.

Really gotta disagree here. You can't assign any arbitrary time period(like 3 years in this case) and assume any art will be better for it. It's done when it's done and if that's 1 year, 2 yrs or 3yrs, whatever it takes. 2 years for a new record used to be the norm and some of the best albums ever were knocked out in 1 year. The hardest part for most creative people is knowing when something is done because theoretically you could continue working on it forever with the belief that you can only make it better. When in fact much of the time all the continued tinkering and re-working only ends up harming the "finished" product. With writing, it's bursts of inspiration where the majority of best ideas come in a rush over a surprisingly few number of days. The other days, not much. So whose to say giving it more time just to give it more time is gonna be worth the investment when you could be spending that time on fresh material?

Shit, I'm blown away by the quality and diversity of this album and personally find the songwriting and lyrics far superior to CD. Not to get into an Axl vs. Slash shitfest, but proves the point that time isn't what determines quality and at some point it gets to be diminishing returns.

Plus, Slash is storing away unused riffs all the time like the 1 in Shadow Life(and FTP) and continuing to work on it as he finds new places for it. That's pretty much his life...

First of all, sure I can: a lot of Slash's ideas sometimes feel undercooked to me. AL felt undercooked, and a lot of it's solos, thrown together hastingly. Slash said Elvis made him work harder on his solos for World On Fire and you can hear it imo.

SecondIy, I assume it will benefit the quality of the music because Slash said in a recent interview that he has the general idea of a solo after one or two takes mostly, but after playing it 80 times (or whatever the fuck) cause Elvis made him do it (lol) suddenly new ideas, notes, and directions came to him and the solos improved.

You can write in an improvised way, and come back to it later, even a year later and you'll potentially have something much better. It's like how many guitar players, Slash too, play songs from their albums live years after they were already released: Like how Slash played Patience in Oklahoma 1992, or Nightrain in Argentina 1993. Same principals work for songwriting. It's not a rule you must follow, but I think Slash is too anxious to get on with it and tour the motherfucker, that he doesn't really give his ideas enough time to ripen.

And just as it is hard to know when it's done, sometimes, for some musicians, it's hard for them to keep at it until it's as good as it can possibly be. There's a delicate balance there. As a musician, you need to develop the feel for it. To know when to let go, but also not to let go too early. Know what I mean?

I think the lyrics in World On Fire are horrid for the most part. Just awful. Some are alright, but they're mostly silly with no emotional weight or meaning. Myles can probably do better. Wrote better lyrics in Alter Bridge.

I think Slash should maybe wait a little longer between releases. Storing away riffs works for him it seems, and many guitarists do it, but perhaps it will be a good idea to just write for a few years and develop the riffs, write and build the songs with the band and take his sweet time sp he gets it just right.

That way, we won't have one song like Anastasia on one album, and a song like By The Sword on another. We'll have one album with only AAA material, and I trust Slash to make it sound cohesive. I just want him to get a little more ambitious. I like World On Fire. I think Elvis influenced Slash in a positive way. I think he needs to be pushed even more, or to push himself a little. Can't hurt.

2 albums under their belt. Maybe Slash and The Conspirators can create something even better then World On Fire with the right approach. It's just a suggestion. I'm pretty satisfied with what we've got, all things considered. I just think there is potential here for something greater in the future with enough time to write and record the ideas and take them as far as possible.

You know slash ain't happy unless he's recording new music or touring. And if he's not, he risks losing his sobriety as he's stated many times. Given those facts, I don't mind that he may not work on a solo or song for a year just to fine tune some things. I hear what your saying but some of the best songs ever were written in under 20 minutes.

Jmapelian: but Slash, from what we can hear, is not that kind of a songwriter. The kind that writes the best songs ever written in under 20 minutes. He's not even really a songwriter. He said so himself.

Slash puts together notes that sound good. It's as simple as that. He's a riff machine, he's a great fuckin' lead guitar player, but that's it. I think he needs the time to collect and hone his ideas. More time then what he's giving himself. A lot of good musicians, when inspired, can write a song in 5 minutes. Slash wrote WTTJ really quickly. But the song itself was worked on for years. It sounded that good cause Slash and the rest of the band had the time and interest to work on it.

So...after we've considered how WTTJ was created, and all of Appetite for that matter, and I feel that's a good example cause it's a fuckin' masterpiece and we all love it and Slash is all over it, maybe we can agree that just because you wrote something amazing, a start of an idea, or a great fuckin' riff, that doesn't make it a great song, or means you have to rush it out and not take the time to make it as good as it can be. To realize it's potential.

I can't explain myself better then that. Hopefully, you can see where I'm coming from with this shit.

Edited by Rovim

He's not even really a songwriter. He said so himself.

Slash puts together notes that sound good. It's as simple as that. He's a riff machine, he's a great fuckin' lead guitar player, but that's it.

I think it's a bit snobby when folks say that Slash isn't a songwriter. At the end of the day, if the riffs he creates form the foundation of a song, then I think it's fair to call him a songwriter.

Edited by Towelie

Just gave it my first spin. I hadn't really heard much on Youtube either, so it's very new for me. First impression is that it's a good solid album, but there aren't any real stand-outs for me yet. All of it sounds good and all, but nothing gives you that kick in the nuts to make you remember it for a long time. Musically too, it's solid, but it lacks that sense of distinction or variation. I haven't spotted that Beggars And Hangers On, Ain't Been There Lately, Slither, By The Sword, Anastacia etc type of track.

Edited by username

I hate you all but I absolutely love this. Slash and Myles are like, the Nobody puts baby in a corner Lennon-McCartney. Anyone else this would sound awful, but these guys make it awesome for some unexplainable reason.

fuck the beatles, slash and myles are the new jagger-richards.

I really wish Slash would get rid of Myles. Seriously he's the weak link big time.

no, this band is incredibly strong, and some of Slash's best

Chris Robinson for a blues rock album...

oh god please make this happen. that would be my favorite album of all time

''Like a pusher, like a whore''/

Right? And I think "just trip the wire" is even worse.

Chris Robinson for a blues rock album...

I don't know who that is, I will look it up.

The Black Crowes, ASAP. Amazing band, one of the best actually

I think John Corabi would be great!

Agreed, Corabi is a great singer. He did a great version of Patience

if that's the japan cd, there's a bonus dvd with the reel to reel stuff on it

• Like 1

He's not even really a songwriter. He said so himself.

Slash puts together notes that sound good. It's as simple as that. He's a riff machine, he's a great fuckin' lead guitar player, but that's it.

I think it's a bit snobby when folks say that Slash isn't a songwriter. At the end of the day, if the riffs he creates form the foundation of a song, then I think it's fair to call him a songwriter.

Folks do say. A song is more then a riff. Just because you're a great riff writer doesn't mean you're a great songwriter. For the most part, Slash sticks to the most basic song structure and you can predict when the solo is going to be, when the lead break, etc. In World On Fire it's not as bad, cause on some songs there are interesting twists and turns, but it's still stays in the realm of your standard rock n' roll structure for the most part.

It's evident that Slash is a much better riff writer then a songwriter. He doesn't really focus on the song. It's something he works out after he takes care of what's really important for him which is the riff, and the solos. (which is fine)

Axl and Izzy are the other way around I think: they focus mainly on the vocal melodies and lyrics, and that drives the song.

In Slash's first solo album it's most obvious: every song has the same structure. I'm not trying to be mean to Slash here, it's just the way I see it lol.

Edited by Rovim

Despite that sweet tone The Dissident is made worse by the fact that it may be one of the cheesiest anti-war songs I've ever heard lyrically haha. I only really paid attention to it this morning. You shouldn't do a cheesy sing along chorus about bombs falling... But at least love will survive.

It's not Fortunate Son :).

Despite that sweet tone The Dissident is made worse by the fact that it may be one of the cheesiest anti-war songs I've ever heard lyrically haha. I only really paid attention to it this morning. You shouldn't do a cheesy sing along chorus about bombs falling... But at least love will survive.

It's not Fortunate Son :).

To be fair, nothing will ever be Fortunate Son