Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Slash cannot choose singles to save his life. Both Wicked Stone and The Dissident have much more, single potential, that the four singles which were released. 'World on Fire' in fact was a fairly awful 'first single'.

Yep I rate World On fire about the same as You're A Lie 7.5

Regarding APL, I might have been tempted to release Anastasia as a first single. Yes, it is a bit bolder than your typical first single but it stands head and shoulders over every track.

Funny to see this generic word continually pop up. Here's the rub, if Slash released a more classic rock sounding album it would be considered dated. He modernises his sound and all of a sudden it's generic. To me, generic is Nicole back and all these other bland rock bands with no teeth. Maybe even AL to some degree (given the number of formulaic 3.5 minute rocks songs that feature throughout). But this album is a step above. Kudos to the producer

*Nickleback

Exactly. As Naupis said, there's a lot to take in and frankly much more than many of us expected based on his prior solo material and relatively short time between records. So if you're only gonna give a casual listen to a handful of tracks and try to label it, it's doing a disservice. Not that everyone has to like it, but Elvis was spot on when he said they were going for 'deep' and not 'cheap'. This is very inspired.

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1

Big kudos to Myles.

This is the 4th full album of new material he has released since 2010 (not including Slash's solo songs) and he sounds great.

When you consider most of his writing is happening on the road while touring with the 2 bands it is all the more impressive that he hasn't run into a case of writers block.

People bag on the guy on this board, but my hats off because he's pretty much the hardest working guy in rock right now as he's constantly on tour and is pumping out new full albums yearly.

It's not like he's in his 20's either with boundless energy, the guy is going to be 45 in 2 months.

Not sure where all this is going in the future, but he's had a great little run these past 4 years.

Actually met and spoke with him a few minutes after a solo acoustic show in NYC last September, and he did seem to have boundless energy even at his advanced age (all of three years older than me). Sometimes I think people don't like him because he's a genuinely nice, humble guy that's not an egotistical deuschbag prick.

This...album...sucks. Somewhere Axl is shaking his head....

Axl Rose > Scott Weiland > Rod Jackson > Eric Dover > Myles Kennedy

I think you mean Axl is somewhere with his head hung low, crying in self pitty wishing he had this kind of music to sing over. This album blows Axl Rose's pathetic album out of the water.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

Been listening to the album on repeat for about 8 hours now. Here's briefly what I think.

Top 5 Favourites:

1. Beneath the Savage Sun

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Battleground

5. World on Fire

- Honorable Mentions: Avalon, Too Far Gone, Safari Inn, The Dissident

- Next Single Should Be: Wicked Stone

- Favourite Solo: Too Far Gone

- Least Favourite Songs: Dirty Girl, Iris of the Storm, The Unholy

Musically I think this album kicks tons of ass and is Slash's best work since GnR. Vocally Myles is a massive weak link but I expected that. He's talented and he's adequate enough I suppose, I just don't like his voice. So many times when listening to this I just wish Axl was on vocals. The quality of the songs is there in spades they just scream for some vocal venom.

• Like 1

Haven't had a chance to analyze it yet, I've played it front to back a fair few times at good volume, and enjoyed it each time.

Interested to know what your thoughts are on this album when you do get the chance to analyze it. Perhaps even a small review? :)

• Like 1

I finally heard it yesterday. I would have to give at least another listen but on first try it was so bad... :( I didn't expect anything extraordinary based on Slash's recent direction and on the title track but it was a lot worse than I even expected. Myles is good at big, epic ballads like Blackbird or Starlight but so bad at everything else...

There is just so much guitar (riffs, solos, little quiet chord bits) to love on this album. And there's quite a few vocal parts that I find myself singing along to.

I think I want Baskette to produce Slash's next album as well. I didn't think I would cause in World On Fire (the song) Slash's solo was way too quiet sounding imo and I didn't like that, but after hearing this album, it's clear to me that he really did push him out of his comfort zone.

A lot of cool riffs, and at least 7 solos I really like. I'm really liking some of the song structures here: they take interesting turns that make sense, and it works.

Listened to it in full again today and it was really fun.

Edited by Rovim

- Favourite Solo: Too Far Gone

Yeah that one's pretty awesome.

I also really love how the one for Beneath The Savage Sun starts in all crazy and intense, then cools down to that melodic bridge where Myles comes in, and then the solo comes back twice as hard the second time. That one's really well put together.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

The more I listen to this, the more I think the title track was a shite choice for a single and an album title. World on Fire is literally an Apocalyptic Love b-side - Shots Fired eat your heart out. On the rest of the songs, the band are doing all sorts of interesting things and achieving this big sound with big chorus and a superb production.

Still not a patch on Izzy mind, but then, what is?

• Like 1

Interesting experience for me
I just listened the album randomly (the songs are in random order) for the 2nd time
There's just so many songs that you can chew on, that you even forgot Myles annoying voice. This is a varied album (which is a surprise for me)
On every listening i discover new tidbits on Slash guitar playing

I'm going that far that i can say: on some song parts when his voice is effected it's actually enjoyable

But overall the first Slash solo record is more bette rthan this album. But WOF blows away AL (and even Libertad, and some Snakepit work)

Edited by Crash Diet

Myles sounds fantastic on Wicked Stone.. Voice goes great with Slash's guitar here...

The tone on "Too Far Gone" is so damn bad ass.. Thick and Mean.. I like Myles on this tune too.. UYI style guitar solo to me, and I love it...

Is Beneath the Savage Sun "Coma-esque" in the riff a lil? Then it goes kind of Metallica-ish.. This song is a monster.. And a great display of Slash's chops.

Edited by smoking guns
  • Like 1

Interesting experience for me

I just listened the album randomly (the songs are in random order) for the 2nd time

There's just so many songs that you can chew on, that you even forgot Myles annoying voice. This is a varied album (which is a surprise for me)

On every listening i discover new tidbits on Slash guitar playing

I'm going that far that i can say: on some song parts when his voice is effected it's actually enjoyable

But overall the first Slash solo record is more bette rthan this album. But WOF blows away AL (and even Libertad, and some Snakepit work)

Well, it's even harder now to choice a Best Of Slash. Should definitely be a Double album if it gets ever released