Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

what is it you guys dont like?

I do think Myles is fantastic, but I do understand what those that don't like him get annoyed with.

He is, for all intents and purposes, not a great songwriter. You can hear me singing along with his lines, but thats because I'll kind of sing along with anything that has a good melody and hook to it. His lyrics leave a lot to be desired. They do all kind of reek of wimpyness, or he's singing about stuff that seems like it isn't genuine. He doesn't have the rage that Axl had (no one does) and he can't craft perfect lyrics, even for a song like Right Next Door To Hell or something, which is a throwaway. Even on a mediocre GNR tune, Axl was a great enough songwriter to make the song deep or just insanely venomous. That was the amazingness of that band.

I don't really fault Myles for that. IMO Scott didn't have it either, but he also had this weird edge to him where the sinister stuff seemed at least genuine. With Myles, it seems a bit like a put on because he's such a nice guy and thats reminiscent of the newer modern bands these days that are also "faking it". I think the other thing people have a problem with is his singing voice. Whether you like him or not, it is a bit nasally, and I'd be lying if I said I had no idea what people meant when they said he sounds "whiney". Thats not how I hear it at all, but I understand where those people are coming from. He has power, but he doesn't necessarily have range (again, it goes back to the unfortunate circumstance that Slash has worked with someone like Axl who will set the template, that was able to do stuff like Don't Cry AND Perfect Crime). When he gets high, he can do it with consistency, but he can't do with any sort of unique feature. Its just sort of Myles screaming.

These are just what I take away about his singing from what others have said. I love the guy and definitely think he's the best singer Slash has worked with both in terms of being a tolerable human being and a great singer. Then again, I loved Rod Jackson from the Snakepit album who a lot of people don't seem to like either, so maybe its me. I don't have the faults listed above, and whats weird is if I would go after Myles at all, it would be for his frontman status, which not many seem to do. He has often said its NOT the position he feels most comfortable in, but regardless he is Slash's current frontman. And when you see them opening up for a band like Aerosmith with Steven Tyler, he looks like a child. Doesn't move at all or have anything that sets him apart and he gets completely lost on a big stage due to his lack of presence. Not a problem I have, but its impossible not to notice that.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but this is what I've gathered. For my money, he could be Slash's singer for the rest of his life and I'd be thrilled, but I do see an argument for the negative people. Luckily, it looks like with this album he may have convinced many and this album also seems to have cemented that the dissenting voices aren't winning the battle cause Slash and this band are here to stay.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

surprised so many people dont like Myles voice and think he is a weak link? I think hes probably the best singer slash has worked with since...well axl..he can really belt it out

Weiland was good, but there was no way he could sing any of those GNR songs.

IMO, Myles is the best singer in rock. Period end of story.

surprised so many people dont like Myles voice and think he is a weak link? I think hes probably the best singer slash has worked with since...well axl..he can really belt it out

Yes. He 's in my top 5.

I will never understand how some people think he's the worst singer ever and other consider him one of the best in rock history

Better then Cornell? better then Axl? (even now) better then Mike Patton? damn.

Edited by Rovim

In 2014, yeah, without a doubt on all three. In their prime, i'd propably put Axl above him. but that's just me. people say he's nasaly, sure, sometimes. he lacks stage presence, sure but they play clubs not arena's, and the stage they use ain't all that big to begin with. they say he doesn't have swagger or anger or whatever like scott/axl.........i'd take his consistency and professionalism every time. I'm 41, not 15-21 and I guess the qualities I like in a singer now reflect that.

Slash2baz, you're staying in contact with Slash or his management. Do you know if they're planing a bluray release of a show of this tour?

yes still in touch and i don't know yet. Roxy show will be filmed for Tv so hopefully a DVD from this show. We'll see. ;)

My Top 5 WoF so far:

- Wicked Stone

- Shadow Life

- Too Far Gone

- Unholy

- Avalon

best riff: Withered Delilah

best solo: Wicked Stone ("Too Far Gone" is not too far! :lol: )

In 2014, yeah, without a doubt on all three. In their prime, i'd propably put Axl above him. but that's just me. people say he's nasaly, sure, sometimes. he lacks stage presence, sure but they play clubs not arena's, and the stage they use ain't all that big to begin with. they say he doesn't have swagger or anger or whatever like scott/axl.........i'd take his consistency and professionalism every time. I'm 41, not 15-21 and I guess the qualities I like in a singer now reflect that.

That's fucked up. :P

What, that I'm 41? Tell me about it.

What, that I'm 41? Tell me about it.

You still have at least 10 good years left. Quit your cryin'.

Edited by Rovim