When is it time to let go of a reunion or an older lineup?

saber_

whatever. have a nice time waiting for cd2, never mind the evidence that nobody cares about it outside of this forum.

Feel better? Is that supposed to be some huge insult?

Just because I find the reunion crowd to be naïve morons hardly means I think Axl is doing a bang up job with his operation.

But, if you want to handicap it, there will be a new album before a reunion. Even a 1% chance trumps something never ever happening, no?

What are the future plans of this current line up? There is no new album in the horizon. They can´t spend the rest of their lives on tour playing a few songs from CD and a lot from the old albums.

So there is room for fans to speculate about a plan B or other alternatives. If reunion is out of the question, then what?

I don't even think he has any plans. Do you really see any evidence? I don't.

But I am failing to see a connection between Axl's laziness / general incompetence and any sort of reunion talk. Is there one I am not seeing? And what is with this alleged nobility in "never saying never"? Its foolish.

As to your one point, I actually do think he can keep touring with the current guys and playing generally the same setlist. He's still selling tickets the world over. It might not be at the level it once was, sure. But anyone still following him pretty much always will. And there will always be a market for Axl Rose singing well known GNR songs.

Ok but if Axl´s plan (or no plan) is to keep touring and play mostly 25 year old songs. Fans believe that it woud be make more sense to do it with the original line up. That´s why we are having this reunion debate. Sorry but if Axl has turned this new band into a tribute band we´re geting rip off. I know a that a tour is better than nothing. But for how long? As I´ve said before I don´t see how Axl can have it both way in the long term. Doing nothing with the new band and doing nothing with the original band.

Ok but if Axl´s plan (or no plan) is to keep touring and play mostly 25 year old songs. Fans believe that it woud be make more sense to do it with the original line up. That´s why we are having this reunion debate. Sorry but if Axl has turned this new band into a tribute band we´re geting rip off. I know a that a tour is better than nothing. But for how long? As I´ve said before I don´t see how Axl can have it both way in the long term. Doing nothing with the new band and doing nothing with the original band.

The flaw in this premise, I think, is that there are not a lot of people terribly interested in the new material. Its certainly a rather small minority buying tickets.

People buying a ticket to see him these days are paying to see WTTJ, SCOM, NR. Are people really buying tickets and really hoping they do 'Catcher In The Rye'? And would be legit upset if they did not? I doubt it. I think you could literally drop every post-1993 song from the setlist and no one would really care.

Edited by D-GenerationX

he said it multiple times that he is against a re-union. he is the only one being totally against it, even current band members openly said they would love to see the old band live. but what else could he do?
the trick is to write, record and release VERY GOOD songs! with a proper marketing this could do his hired members do some justice. i mean, what's really needed is new but killer songs the main public tends to like. stuff that barely happened with CD songs - if so at all. like.....another "Jungle", another "SCOM" league song on a new more rock album. could that happen? sure! will it happen? nobody knows. is there room for this in the nostalgic setlist? yes, if the songs are really outstanding! can he provide strong vocal performances? more likely never again - based on what happened to his voice and stage performance since Rio 2011. did he had time to create kick-ass songs? surely!

so, it's waiting time again, business as usual....

by the way wasnt there some Brazilian kid talking about information to come?

whatever. have a nice time waiting for cd2, never mind the evidence that nobody cares about it outside of this forum.

Yet, millions will buy it when it is released :/. So people obviously care about new music from GN'R.

What makes you believe we will have a new album anytime soon? First we have Chris Pittman saying that nobody buys albums anymore. Del James in a radio interview saying it will get done when Axl is ready (it could be never or in another 10 years. It wouldn´t be fair at all) Then we had a statement from Fernando saying nothing. A chat with Ron saying nothing about new album, except his idea about tango. Marc Canter here saying The Vault will never see the light. Now we have DJ coming up he could give us some hope but, what are the odds he will give us good news?

I do care about new music. I don´t think it´s going to happen

Yet, millions will buy it when it is released :/. So people obviously care about new music from GN'R.

What makes you believe we will have a new album anytime soon?

Why do you think I believe we will have a new album anytime soon?

Edited by SoulMonster

As long as GnR plays ONE song off of a five year old album, one forum member will argue to the death that the band isn't living off their back catalog. Funny stuff.

Slash can't play the stuff on CD? You guys have no idea what you are talking about. My neighbor is a plumber who is married with four kids at home. And he can play everything off of CD. He plays everything that Satriani has released. (his favorite guitar player). And this is a guy who works 40 hours a week and has a house full of kids at home. You think Slash doesn't practice 10 times more than this guy does?

Axl once said he would hate to be one of those bands that wasn't always evolving and exploring new music. One album in twenty years later, you have to wonder what happened to that guy.

In your post you sound very sure about a new album. If Axl is gonna release an album 10 years from now then he shouls tell us. But I don´t think millions are gonna buy it. Besides it´s ridiculous to release an album with a 10 year gap all the time for any artist. In the past he had the excuse that he needed to rebuild the band. Now he has a band and he has songs already recorded.

I wouldn't be too certain on that if I were you. The jury's still out on that one ;).

There's no way I believe another nu album will even sell past a million worldwide unless they have at least one (somewhat) universally accepted single rock fans and general audiences at shows connect with.

Otherwise, naw.

• Like 1

Slash is more technically adept than many give him credit for. Listen to, for instance, Anastasia or Serial Killer.

Still miles away from any current GN'R guitarists. He might have a better tone and waaaaay better ears for catchy melodies and cool riffs, but as for technicality he is quite limited.

I disagree.

I wouldn't be too certain on that if I were you. The jury's still out on that one ;).

There's no way I believe another nu album will even sell past a million worldwide unless they have at least one (somewhat) universally accepted single rock fans and general audiences at shows connect with.

Otherwise, naw.

Your kidding yourself if you think CDII will sell millions SM...............that ship sailed long ago and if it is similar to CDI with no radio friendly songs it will be lucky to sell a million in todays music industry IMHO.............remember Libertad.............

And Slash is not a better guitarist then DJ? really?

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

I don't think - especially given all that has happened - that it is really rational for anyone to be expecting a reunion

Nothing wrong with wanting one because you think it would kick ass though. But wants and expectations are two different things

Exactly! It pisses me off when people simply don't understand that.

With the Appetite and Illusion lineup..We had Duff and Izzy with newGnR join for a few shows..Maybe if Slash and Axl patch things up..But my opinion is it will never happen although I still have 0.00001% hope it will happen :lol:

Or should we just leave the past be what it was and not ruin it with reunion?

Don't know if this video has been posted somewhere but Larry King asks Slash about HOF and reunion:

Edited by gunnari

Otherwise, naw.

You are of course entirely correct, it is just a belief of mine. CD has sold 5 millions world-wide by now? And it had the attractiveness of being hyped beyond words. A new record won't be hyped but will have to escape the shadow of CD's mediocre reception. That probably subtracts a few millions off the sale automatically, UNLESS it is properly marketed by the band, including Axl and have some good songs. I guess it can go either way.

And Slash is not a better guitarist then DJ? really?

Huh? I have never claimed that Slash isn't a better guitarist than Dj. In fact in my opinion they aren't even in the same league, Slash is a living legend. Perhaps you were mistaking "technical skills" with "greatness"?

In your post you sound very sure about a new album.

Yes, but where did you get the idea that I believe it will come out "anytime soon"?

Shameless cross-post from a close thread:

I'm not sure what I want from GnR... The three options are:

1. I want them to do a reunion

2. I want them to continue as they are

3. I want them to end

And they all seem to have their pro's and con's.

I'm not sure a reunion would be any good. Or be able to measure up. I guess I'd want it to happen as a one-off thing. But I fear anything other than that might just be a disappointment. They'd either not meet the expectations right off the bat or survive long enough to implode again. I don't see them making an album. Not the way Axl has been for years. So a one-off live thing seems the most sensible thing. But to what end? It'd be great for nostalgia's sake. A tour would only make sense if they'd sound really great. If they don't measure up to the memory (which is very difficult) it'll be useless. And even if they did I'd live in constant fear of them imploding. Again.

Then there's the continue on option. But I'm not sure I want that. I'm tired of the endless touring, so to me it's pretty pointless unless they're productive like a normal band. Now it just feels like not doing the GnR legacy justice. That's what bothers me the most really. The feel that GnR is tarnishing it's own legacy constantly right now. The lack of releases, the inconsistent live quality, Ashba.. Part of me wants them to win and succeed. But it just doesn't feel like they're on the right track anymore. And to me Axl's hunger seems to have gone downhill since 2006. I just don't feel like his heart is in it most of the time. I might be wrong, but it's still how I perceive it now. And that's not what I want either.

So do I want them to die? Nah. Or maybe I do. I'm not sure. What I really want, first of all, is to hear all the things they've created between roughly 1998 and 2008. I want that box set a lot. Even if it's just for closure's sake. But when I have that... where to go from there? I'm still not sure. I'm not even sure they can win.

I do feel like there's two things I want before they just...end. I want to hear the material they've worked on all those years. 1998-2008. I want it to be released. And I just want to see the classic Guns n' Roses play one more time. I don't even need to be there. It doesn't have to be a tour. I just want them to do it once. And I want them to absolutely kill it. Have everybody who's ever been in GnR guest along the way even. But end it with classic GnR. And maybe, after that, it'd be best if they would just end. It seems like the only way to give the trainwreck that has become GnR one last salute.

And after that, when all the dust and the pressure and the expectations settle, I guess we can start to give the 1998-2008 material a real place in musical history. Maybe it'll get some more appreciation as a part of musical history in time. But at least it'd have been a dignified end.

Funny. I don't think I've felt like that ever since becoming a GnR fan.

• Like 1

Shameless cross-post from a close thread:

I'm not sure what I want from GnR... The three options are:

1. I want them to do a reunion

2. I want them to continue as they are

3. I want them to end

And they all seem to have their pro's and con's.

I'm not sure a reunion would be any good. Or be able to measure up. I guess I'd want it to happen as a one-off thing. But I fear anything other than that might just be a disappointment. They'd either not meet the expectations right off the bat or survive long enough to implode again. I don't see them making an album. Not the way Axl has been for years. So a one-off live thing seems the most sensible thing. But to what end? It'd be great for nostalgia's sake. A tour would only make sense if they'd sound really great. If they don't measure up to the memory (which is very difficult) it'll be useless. And even if they did I'd live in constant fear of them imploding. Again.

Then there's the continue on option. But I'm not sure I want that. I'm tired of the endless touring, so to me it's pretty pointless unless they're productive like a normal band. Now it just feels like not doing the GnR legacy justice. That's what bothers me the most really. The feel that GnR is tarnishing it's own legacy constantly right now. The lack of releases, the inconsistent live quality, Ashba.. Part of me wants them to win and succeed. But it just doesn't feel like they're on the right track anymore. And to me Axl's hunger seems to have gone downhill since 2006. I just don't feel like his heart is in it most of the time. I might be wrong, but it's still how I perceive it now. And that's not what I want either.

So do I want them to die? Nah. Or maybe I do. I'm not sure. What I really want, first of all, is to hear all the things they've created between roughly 1998 and 2008. I want that box set a lot. Even if it's just for closure's sake. But when I have that... where to go from there? I'm still not sure. I'm not even sure they can win.

I do feel like there's two things I want before they just...end. I want to hear the material they've worked on all those years. 1998-2008. I want it to be released. And I just want to see the classic Guns n' Roses play one more time. I don't even need to be there. It doesn't have to be a tour. I just want them to do it once. And I want them to absolutely kill it. Have everybody who's ever been in GnR guest along the way even. But end it with classic GnR. And maybe, after that, it'd be best if they would just end. It seems like the only way to give the trainwreck that has become GnR one last salute.

And after that, when all the dust and the pressure and the expectations settle, I guess we can start to give the 1998-2008 material a real place in musical history. Maybe it'll get some more appreciation as a part of musical history in time. But at least it'd have been a dignified end.

Funny. I don't think I've felt like that ever since becoming a GnR fan.

I was actually going to move this over here for you anyway :)

While I want to hear it too, I think the 1998-2008 'vault' material might turn out to be bitterly disappointing.

Axl said himself that he spent years during that period unable to write (thanks to slash (surprise!), duff, and Stephanie S), so you may only have a couple of year's worth of productive songwriting - and at Axl pace.